What is the maximum text size in a cell

Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a cell.
How many characters/words

Thanx.

NED 1451
0
1451 (1)

Hi
the max is 1,024 characters. You can extend this limit by entering
manual linebreaks withj aLT+ENTER

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"NED 1451" <NED 1451@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in
a cell.
> How many characters/words
>
> Thanx.
>
> NED 1451

0
frank.kabel (11126)
11/3/2004 9:09:28 AM
Ned

The maximum is 32,767 characters to a cell.

However, as Frank points out, only 1024 will show or can be printed.

Increase the 1024 by using ALT + ENTER at appropriate spots.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:49:04 -0800, "NED 1451" <NED
1451@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a cell.
>How many characters/words
>
>Thanx.
>
>NED 1451

0
Gord
11/3/2004 10:48:16 PM
Is this true for EXCEL 2000?

I have a file from a customer which currently has 1022 characters in
one particular cell and I have NOT been able to enter any additional
characters - I did try issuing ALT-ENTER but this does not seem to do
anything.

I have noticed that in EXCEL 2003 I CAN enter many more characters!

For my own edification, what dose the 32 KB limit give me if
operationally I can enter only 1 KB+ number of characters?

Thanks,

Chaim

--
ChaimB
Chaim

I have never used 2000 so can't speak for that.

97 shows a portion of the characters.  As you decrease the number of chars,
the shown portion decreases in some sort of ratio.

As far as being able to enter 32,767 chars and see only 1024, your guess is as
good as mine.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:58:56 +0000, ChaimB
<ChaimB.1klctn@news.officefrustration.com> wrote:

>Is this true for EXCEL 2000?
>
>I have a file from a customer which currently has 1022 characters in
>one particular cell and I have NOT been able to enter any additional
>characters - I did try issuing ALT-ENTER but this does not seem to do
>anything.
>
>I have noticed that in EXCEL 2003 I CAN enter many more characters!
>
>For my own edification, what dose the 32 KB limit give me if
>operationally I can enter only 1 KB+ number of characters?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chaim
>
>Gord Dibben Wrote:
>> Ned
>>
>> The maximum is 32,767 characters to a cell.
>>
>> However, as Frank points out, only 1024 will show or can be printed.
>>
>> Increase the 1024 by using ALT + ENTER at appropriate spots.
>>
>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 00:49:04 -0800, "NED 1451" NED
>> 1451@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
>> -
>> Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a
>> cell.
>> How many characters/words
>>
>> Thanx.
>>
>> NED 1451-

0
Gord
2/17/2005 7:54:17 PM
What happens when your customer tries to enter the 1023rd character?

Maybe he or she is just not seeing them.

--

Dave Peterson
0

For "debugging" purposes I set a LEN function on this cell in another
empty cell and the size remains the same/

Thanks,

Chaim

--
ChaimB
I don't have a guess what could be happening?

If you put
=REPT("asdf ",250)
in A1 and then Edit|copy, Edit|paste special|Values

Can you add more text to that cell?

--

Dave Peterson
0

store some of the information from one cell into another
I would like to store some of the information from one cell into another. For instance, information in one cell has StampPDF V 2.3. I would like to cut 2.3 into a different cell. I was wondering if anyone new of the quickest way to do this. I have about 2000+ cells to work with. If the information you want from the cell is always at the end, and is always the last 3 characters you could use =RIGHT(A1,3) assuming that the original information is in cell reference A1 If you actually want to remove the 2.3 from the original cell then "bsantona" wrote: > I would like to st...

Count for text
Hi, I believe this is very simple, but i fail to make it works. A 1. text 2. number 3. text 4. text 5. #N/A 6. etc... 50. I want to count all "text" for column A, please help. i use =COUNT(IF(ISTEXT(A1:A50);(A1:50) but result is 1 , not as i expected. Kind Regards, Try =SUMPRODUCT(--ISTEXT(A1:A10)) -- Jacob "Pran" wrote: > Hi, > > I believe this is very simple, but i fail to make it works. > A > 1. text > 2. number > 3. text > 4. text > 5. #N/A > 6. etc... > 50. > > I wan...

Which the maximum of characters of value in a cell?
When I impute a numerical sequence in a cell with more than 15 digits, excel does not conserve the typed value, modifying the digits from 16th typed. I ask: it is necessary to adjust some configuration in excel? Hi Excel's numerical limit is 15 digits. If you need to use more than 15, you'll have to enter it as text - either by formatting the cell as text before you type into it, or by starting the entry with a ' Hope this helps. Andy. "Malisky" <Malisky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B261F7DB-7A39-45D5-8FCE-F750D26D36EC@microsoft.com....

Blank cell after evaluation
I am using the formula, =IF(ISNUMBER(Analysis!O6),Analysis!O6," ") but have a problem. If there is a value in Analysis!O6 then the file works properly. However, if Analysis has no value in it, then I need to formula to return nothing. The problem is that I can only get the formula to return a blank space, 0, or False. All of these results cause a subsequent formula to fail. Is there a different formula or criteria that will leave the cell empty? -- Thanks in advance, JC Yes. Just remore the space between your double quotes. -- Gary''s Student "JC" ...

Text import drops commas and periods
I have noticed that excel 2000 and 2002 will occationally drop a comma from a comma delimited file, shifting that record to the left one column. I handled this in the past by quickly scanning an imported text file to make sure that each record is properly aligned. Not a problem with files of up to a few thousand records. Now, after recently upgrading I find that Excel 2002 is ocasionally dropping the decimal from the last column in a very few records on import. There is no way I can easily check for dropped decimals. Are these problems a known issue with Excel 2002? The dropping dec...

Converting text to Rich Text Format
If I start with a set of text strings where each text string is associated with a LOGFONT and COLORREF (for its foreground color), how do I convert this to Rich Text Format? You have to read about the Rich Text Format syntax. Or a simple way, format the text you want in WordPad and write it out, then look at what got written and replicate it. joe On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:30:32 -0500, "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam@SeeScreen.com> wrote: >If I start with a set of text strings where each text string is associated with >a LOGFONT and COLORREF (for its foreground color), ho...

max size command line argument
Hi I am launching an application from another and sending some info re command line arguments, one of which is a big string. In Windows 7 this works fine, but in XP "Access Denied" message appears. Shortening the big string overcomes this. I have tried to find out the maximum allowable argument size, both for XP and Windows 7 but can't find this anywhere. Anybody know the answer Ray Hello, Perhaps http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830473/en-us Are you above 8191 under XP (and they would have still enlarge this under Windows 7 ?) With such a long str...

How to make CTreeCtrl item text editable
I have a CTreeCtrl in a dialog which works quite nicely to display items. The problem I am having is trying to edit the labels. I have the Edit Labels property set to true but not sure what message I have to handle or how much work I will be doing. Sorry for the generic question but I am hoping there is an easy solution to this common functionality. TVN_BEGINLABELEDIT TVN_ENDLABELEDIT Use the pResult value to prevent/allow editing in BEGIN, and to accept/reject the string in END. Bill "Bob Curry" <rjcurry@comcast.net> wrote in message news:FJydna7iO7hXPUHdRVn-ig@comcas...

entourage continually crashes, database size >10GB
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop since my database has grown larger than 6GB (now >10GB), entourage crashes several times a day - seemingly without reason. unlike outlook, where i can move messages out of the inbox .pst into a separate filed messages .pst, entourage does not appear to have this functionality. <br><br>this is frustrating as i wind up wasting huge amounts of time using the glacially sloooooow database utility to verify/compress/rebuild the database over and over again - only to have the same t...

how can I mark the maximum point on x-y graph
in excel program how can I mark the maximum point on a x-y graph Hi, Maybe these examples will help. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FormatMinMax.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/Labellast.htm Cheers Andy MAJ-BEHNAM wrote: > in excel program how can I mark the maximum point on a x-y graph -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Cell Not working
I have office 2002, my windows is home xp. Last week we had to reformat my xp, got a hold of a nasty worm! I just use a chart to display numbers in series. Now when I try it from an old sheet it inserts the number as a date? I keep trying to change the cell to GENERAL, but it dosen't work. Can't understand it. When you say you keep trying to re-format the cell as General, what result do you get? If I do it on a date cell (re-format) I get the date code (i.e. the value of the date). Ex. cells has "03-01-11", select cell and re-format to General = 37632. -- Regards; Ro...

Displaying Multiple Text Lines At Runtime
I need to display various text messages in my dialog app, and they change during the application. There will be multiple lines of text in one rectangular area. In order to handle that and format it well, should I not use the edit box with an attached CStatic variable? Should I just use text out with coordinates and maybe draw a rectangular area instead of using a control? Thanks, Matt There are several ways by which you can acheive this. 1. In your Status bars, create a new panel for displaying your messages. 2. Create a control bar, which can be docked/closed, and write your messages in...

Maximum number of recipients
For Outlook 2003 on SBS 2003, is there a maximum number of recipients that a message can be sent to? Thanks, Robert Your ISP is the determining factor, not Outlook. Most limit from 25 to 50 for residential accounts and up to 150 for commercial accounts. "Robert Ramin" <rramin@swcsx.com> wrote in message news:eCWbWuPiGHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > For Outlook 2003 on SBS 2003, is there a maximum number of recipients that > a message can be sent to? > > Thanks, > Robert > ...

PowerPoint 2007 Size and Position dialog box for formating SmartAr
In PowerPoint 2003, I find the Size and Position tabs in the Format Autoshape Dialog box. For PowerPoint 2007, I have found instructions to access the Size and Positon dialog box through the shortcut menu. However, when I right-click the SmartArt graphic, the shortcut menu does not have a Size and Position to select. Where can I access the Size and Position dialog box in 2007 when formating a SmartArt graphic? Thank you for your help. On 11/24/09 1:53 PM, in article 2DC5B632-63C0-4AAC-B6F5-7B5B0CDDBAF0@microsoft.com, "mirmesquite" <mirmesquite@discussions.micr...

CUSTOM TEXT FORMATTING???
My cell has 8 mixed characters of numbers and letters. I need to have a hyphen "-" after the first 4 characters in a column. Can I make a custom text format so no matter what I enter a hyphen is automatically inserted? How do I do that? JLC Hi this could only be done with VBA, using an event procedure (as you have text and numbers in your cell). e.g. put the following code in your worksheet module (not in a standard module): Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1:A100"...

pasting text into a text box
For some reason I am unable to paste text into a chart text box, (with excel 2007). Is there a trick to this? Gary K. Five minutes with Excel 2007 show that there is no obvious way to paste copied text into the embedded text box. Aren't you glad you upgraded? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Gklass" <gmklass@ilstu.edu> wrote in message news:1180231963.336906.112430@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > For some reason I am unable to paste text into a chart ...

Task Manager "VM Size"
What exactly is the "VM Size" column in the task manager? One of my programs has been running continuously for 2 months. Task manager shows: Mem Usage 230,284 k Peak Mem Usage 356,464 k Page Faults 374,021 VM Size 1,410,208 k The VM Size seems so large. The Mem Usage value is relatively similar to the value when the program first starts. The VM Size is hugely larger then the value at program start. What does "VM Size" mean. Virtual Memory size, the logical memory that has been allocated to it - This is likely to be the maximum your program has ever used plus seve...

how can i search for text in multiple pages??
I have over 100 pages in Publisher that I need to search for individual words. To do it one page at a time makes this a near impossible task. Any way to search over multiple pages at the same time?? Convert it to a .pdf and search that in Reader. Save as a Word .doc and search that. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "shannsett" <shannsett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C85BC0C-60E0-47EB-BA04-412ED0CA8DFD@microsoft.com... >I have over 100 pages in Publisher that I need to search for individual > words. To do it one page at a time make...

How can I autofill not using adjacent cells
I have a formula: =SUM('Daily from Mar 2010'!AZ4:BF4) In the cell to the right of the above cell I want the formula to be =SUM('Daily from Mar 2010'!BG4:BM4) Whenever I try to use autofill it populates the cell with the following formula instead: =SUM('Daily from Mar 2010'!BA4:BG4) I really need it to jump 7 columns instead of just the one. Can anyone help? ...

Need help extracting text from EDLs
I really am trying to learn this stuff, but I haven't programmed anything since my TRS-80 Basic days and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I want to extract text from Edit Decision Lists so that I have a list of shots used in a film. Here is an example of one event of an EDL: 002 TAPE004 V C 04:45:22:06 04:45:24:14 02:00:08:00 02:00:10:08 FROM CLIP NAME: 7C-4_B_ DLEDL: PATH: /raids/luc_1/bun/reel_02/oscans/1222/bun_7c_4_b_02/2048x1556/ The text that follows "FROM CLIP NAME:" is the name of the clip that I want to extract so that I have a document on onl...

Missing text when sending an attachment
I can create an email with text in the body and an attachment. Save it as a draft, open the draft and everything appears normal. I then send the email. The recepient only receives the attachment. I then check the sent items folder and only the attachment appears, no text. This does not happen all of the time. I am using Outlook 2003 with Exchange server 2003. I am not using word as the editor. Thanks, Joel ...

maximum size of a Microsoft Excel list for a pivot table
What is the maximum size of a list I may use to create a pivot table? In excel help type specifications Chick Worksheet/workbook specification>pivot table specs >-----Original Message----- >What is the maximum size of a list I may use to create a pivot table? >. > ...

Suppres Zero or empty Cell value in a line graph
Hi I'm using Office 2007. I have two charts using data from the same sheet. The second graph is a copy of the first. In the first graph, the empty and zero value cells are not displayed. In the second graph, the zero value cells is displayed (draged to zero) although the option "connect points with line" is checked. The strange thing: if I change the Y-data to another part of the sheet, it is no longer dragged to zero. Even if the cell is empty it's still dragged to zero A formula that returns "" is not an empty cell, it's a formula (or it's a small ...

Maximum no of accounts
Hello, Does anyone know what the maximum no of accounts is that can be created in Microsoft 2004? We have anywhere between 350-400 clubs that we need to store in a single file. Your help would be greatly appreciate, esp. if it comes within 2 days. -Nanci In microsoft.public.money, Nanci wrote: >Does anyone know what the maximum no of accounts is that >can be created in Microsoft 2004? We have anywhere >between 350-400 clubs that we need to store in a single >file. Your help would be greatly appreciate, esp. if it >comes within 2 days. http://support.microsoft.com/...

I Want to Caculate only ONE Cell !!!
Dear I Wannt to make the excel sheet only calculate one cell that I put a rule in it. Also, can I make the Excel refresh automatically every certain period of time to calculate that Cell.? Thank You Tools|Options|Calculate and check "Manual" You can either trigger the recalcualation manually (select the cell put your curser in the formula bar and press enter) Or by VBA where you could wrap Workbooks("Book1").Worksheets("Sheet1").[A1].Calculate insided a timing routine. Jerry Mahmoud Metwally wrote: > Dear > I Wannt to make the excel sheet onl...