What does the [Group] in a file name mean?

I have worked with 2 to 3 Excel files that have the
designation of "[Group]" in them. Does anybody know what
the relevance of this and if it is known to cause any
problems.

Thanks for your feedback.

EES
0
bvmg (1)

Hi
this indicated that you have 'grouped' several sheets (selected them
together). Simply select on single tab name to remove this.

Note: In group modus a change done on the active sheet will also be
done in all grouped sheets

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

EES wrote:
> I have worked with 2 to 3 Excel files that have the
> designation of "[Group]" in them. Does anybody know what
> the relevance of this and if it is known to cause any
> problems.
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> EES

0
frank.kabel (11126)
8/2/2004 10:56:55 PM
EES

The [Group] means two or more worksheets are grouped together.

If you look at your sheet tabs, two or more will be white in color.

You can ungroup by clicking on one of the ungrouped sheets or by
right-clicking on a tab and selecting "ungroup sheets".

Potential problems.........whatever you have have done to one sheet while in
group mode will have been done to all sheets in the group.

i.e.  entering data or formatting of one sheet will be replicated on the
others.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:48:05 -0700, "EES" <bvmg@bvmed.com> wrote:

>I have worked with 2 to 3 Excel files that have the
>designation of "[Group]" in them. Does anybody know what
>the relevance of this and if it is known to cause any
>problems.
>
>Thanks for your feedback.
>
>EES

0
Gord
8/2/2004 10:59:17 PM
It means you've selected more than one worksheet in the workbook.

You can ungroup them by right-clicking a grouped sheet's tab and
choosing UnGroup.

It can cause all kinds of problems, since any change to one grouped
worksheet is also made in all grouped sheets.

In article <9c9a01c478e2$c5eb2300$a401280a@phx.gbl>,
 "EES" <bvmg@bvmed.com> wrote:

> I have worked with 2 to 3 Excel files that have the
> designation of "[Group]" in them. Does anybody know what
> the relevance of this and if it is known to cause any
> problems.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Automated Excel, Fill from other file & save (html)
Is it possible to create an Excel file which will automatically fill cells with results from other cells of another excel file. Is it possible to automate this, as well as automate saving the file as a webpage? A macro? Reards, Tom Depends on what you mean by: "automatically fill" You could open the second workbook and copy the data from one worksheet and paste into the original worksheet. You could fill the cells of the original worksheet with formulas that point back to that first workbook/worksheet. =IF('C:\My Documents\excel\[book2.xls]Sheet1'!A1="",...

Grouping data
I am trying to group data for a specific event and have not been successful, so I am hoping someone can help. ID Date Value 174 12/3/2007 102 174 12/3/2007 909 174 12/11/2007 405 174 12/11/2007 701 206 12/6/2007 1001 173 12/3/2007 500 I want to group by ID, the MAX Date for that ID and the Max Value for the ID & Max Date The desired result would be: ID Date Value 174 12/11/2007 701 206 12/6/...

Group Footer at Bottom of Last Page of Group
I would like for a group footer to appear at the bottom of the last page of a group -- either hide the page footer on pages if it is not the last page of the group or have the group footer print at the bottom of the page. I have used the instructions to reset the page number and the total page count for each group. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841779/en-us) I was hoping to be able to set it where if the page equals the total pages of the group, it will make the page footer visible. For some reason, if there is more than one page, it doesn't work properly. I have also used the i...

query based distribution group
Hello all running Exchange 2007 sp2, I need to modify an existing query based DL so it finds mailboxes and if the account has two different email address stamped on it. For example if the mailbox has test1.com and test2.com and it's a mailbox then make it a member of the query based DL Thanks for any help If it has those two e-mail addresses? That should return just one recipient. Or do you mean a recipient with any two proxy addresses? I don't believe that's possible with LDAP. Or do you mean a mailbox-enabled user with proxy addresses in two domai...

print name
hello - Isn't one able to create a name (range) in a spreadsheet then print that specific area without having to reset the print area each time? for example, if I set a1:f70 as a named called "consolidated", can't I then select "consolidated" and just print that area? If so, how do I go about setting that range? Thank you! Kelly Kelly press F5 (GoTo) and then select the range name (consolidated). Now press Print and choose "Selection" Use Preview to make sure that you will print what you want. Regards Trevor "Kelly" <Kelly@disc...

Problem again with Downloading OFX files
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C57641.B290E800 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I previously had a problem downloading OFX files. The problem went away = and I never understood what caused the problem. The error I get is as follows: "A communication error occurred. Please try your call again. If you = continue=20 to have problems call your financial institution's Online Services = Customer=20 Support." It happens at multiple banks and also happens whether I...

index of files
Somehow my index of files have gotten out of order. When I open my web site and click open the list of files come up but they are not alphabetic order. I would like them to be in alphabetic order so I can find the file I want and open it. I hope I have made myself clear. I am using frontpage 2002 on windows 7. charles arnett Union Ohio If by "index of files" you are referring to Folder View, click on a column heading to sort that column. Click again to reverse the sort order. If it's the folder list (left of the Design Pane) then close (or at least save) al...

Creating Universal Groups with Distribution Group members?
Hello all. We have a Windows 2003 Active Directory with Exchange 2003, and I don't really want to duplicate work, but I think I may have to (ugh!). Here is the deal. I need to create an All Managers Universal Group with every group that has managers in it. So, what I tried doing, was I created a Universal Group and added the _All Managers DL into it -- but that didn't seem to work, according to my boss who asked me to create this UG for him. So, my question is, am I not allowed to add DL members to a Universal Security Group? And if now, is there any way that I can take...

Saved Files Will not open
I recently installed Money 2006. Went to my credit union and downloaded the files as directed. There is a momentary "blink" of the screen but nothing happens. So I saved the file to disk. Located it and tried to download it again, same thing a " blink". I went through several suggestions on what to do but nothing helped. I then installed Quicken and lo and behold the same problem. There for I believe there is something "blocking" the open of the file into the program. Firewalls have been turn off, Micorsoft as well as Norton. Suggestions? -- David In micro...

Using Password-protected files for a report
I have many user files (timesheets) and a report file (payroll report) that uses these timesheets as links. The timesheets are password-protected. I need the report to be able to be updated without opening all the files. Is this possible? Thanks! ...

File sizes are much larger that are being displayed in quota entri
I am currently in an educational enviroment and have decided to limit student folders to 75mb in size using disk quotas. this has now been implemented but quite a few folders are showing up in disk quota entries table as being just a few kb's in size when in actul fact some are more like 500mb - 1 gig Users obviously have modify permissions over their folders but are not the owners Anyone any ideas how i can rectify this? Thanks. madcyryl wrote: > I am currently in an educational enviroment and have decided to limit student > folders to 75mb in size using disk quotas. > ...

Strange "~" file being created!!
Occasionally I have had a "~" file created after working in Outlook Express it has put this file in C:\ on the Desktop down in C:\Documents and Settings\... and on my A: drive when there was a disk present. It is hidden and read- only. Looking at the contents of the file in Notepad it looks suspiciously like a copy of my address book. Everytime I've found one of the these files I've zeroed it out and protected it from further writing, thinking it might be some sort of virus program stealing my address book. Does anyone know what this file is used for, or is anyone ...

Pivot Table Repeats Names in multiple rows
I have data on hours worked for about 70 employees (Names are rows) for the last year (Months are columns). For about 15 of those names, the Pivot Table is not consolidating all the data for that employee. Rather, it repeats the name for 2 or more rows as if those names were spelled in various ways. The hours data for those affected employees are also broken out among the various rows. The source data originally had this problem, but I fixed all the misspellings. By filtering the names field in my source data, I have confirmed that there is now only one version of each name. Why c...

Distribution Group list
I have a problem with the distribution group list. Here it goes: I removed and deleted the account from this group list but whenever I send a task, it always tries to reach this deleted account and give me a undeliverable error message. Please help. Thanks Restart Exchange services. Linh wrote: > I have a problem with the distribution group list. Here > it goes: I removed and deleted the account from this > group list but whenever I send a task, it always tries to > reach this deleted account and give me a undeliverable > error message. Please help. Thanks ...

determine last time file/folder was modified
I found a script on the net that searches a folder for the names of subfolders and files and pumps that information to a log file. I have modified the script to gather more info and to export the data to an Excel spreadsheet. I just wanted to get some feedback on it. Thanks, Jeremy ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 'Purpose of this script is to recursively search a directory 'to return the following info about subfolders and subfiles 'Date Created, Date Last Accessed, Date Last Modified, 'Name, Path, Size and Type. 'An...

Data, Group got error message Cannot shift object off sheet
I created a command grouping several columns together by going to Data, Group. When I go to click on the "-" sign to group. It gives me an error message;"Cannot shift object off sheet". Why? and how can I fix it. Maybe you have some objects that get rearranged when you hide the columns using your grouping symbols. This may have some suggestions that work for you. It's kind of a similar problem. XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 Remember to look for comments and merged ...

Previous Excel Files
You know how Excel lists the four most recently used workbooks under the "File" menu for easy access. Well I have lost this feature everytime I closed down Excel and open it again. Is there a way of switching this feature on & off? Would appreciate anyone's help. Hi Yes there is a way to switch it off and on... Go to Tools>Options>General tab. There is a checkbox for Recently Used File List and a box for number of files to list. Please note that when you switch it back on it will only list the files you open/save from now on so it will not list recent files op...

Hiding file
Hi, I was working with a file Excel 2003. The, all of a sudden, it disappeared from the screen. It seems that have hit certain key combinations that did this. I re-oppened the file (bouble click), Excel opens and the files vanished again. I am not sure if it is "closed" or being "hidden". On the left bottom side of the screen I have the word "ready". Any ideas, The file has important information. If you do file|print preview, do you see anything? If yes... I'd try: Windows|Arrange|Tiled and rearrange the way you like. If no, maybe the window is hidde...

CSV files
Am trying to transfer contact/address info from an old organizer (OZ730) to Outlook. I have transferred info from the organizer to desktop in a .csv file (per Sharp's instructions). Need step-by-step directions on how to upload the info into Outlook, then can use with new organizer. Help please. Wendy wrote: > Am trying to transfer contact/address info from an old > organizer (OZ730) to Outlook. I have transferred info > from the organizer to desktop in a .csv file (per Sharp's > instructions). Need step-by-step directions on how to > upload the info into...

File options
I want to be able to view tabs for all open files (Word or Excel) across the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, without having to go to "window" on the tool bar and then select the file I want. Any suggestions anyone? On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 03:49:19 -0800, HR wrote: > I want to be able to view tabs for all open files (Word or > Excel) across the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, > without having to go to "window" on the tool bar and then > select the file I want. > > Any suggestions anyone? Yes, post this in the apropriate newsgroup. Likely o...

Local Data Groups
Hi, Does anyone know if its possible to create local data groups for offline clients and somehow push the groups out to all users, rather than going to each outlook laptop client? Jo Savidge You can deploy the SFO client using group policies. When the user next logs onto the domain the SFO client will be installed ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft "Jo Savidge" <JoSavidge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAE65DA4-C2E3-4F50-A78B-39C98940A129@microsoft.c...

Problem with Insert File
Using Outlook 2002 running win xp prof the insert file feature hangs or runs very slowly. When I write a new e- mail message and click the paperclip or insert My Documents opens. If the file I want to send which is almost invariably a pdf file is somewhere other than My Documents and I click the black triangle to open the drop down menu, outlook hangs and I have to close it out and move the file to My Documents. Can anyone help? John Hill Is the file local to your computer or is it on a mapped network drive? >-----Original Message----- >Using Outlook 2002 running win xp pro...

Deriving a name from variables
I have 22 CheckBox objects named CheckBox1, CheckBox2 etc. I would like to substitue a variable to represent the name in the expression "Sheet2.TextBox1= False" by using a do loop and varying the number portion of the word TextBox. Any suggestions? -- Bernie Checkboxes and textboxes from the control toolbox toolbar??? I'm not quite sure what you're doing, but maybe this will give you an idea: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim iCtr As Long With Sheet2 For iCtr = 1 To 22 .OLEObjects("textbox" & iCtr).Object.Enabl...

Specify an Input file?
What I'd like to have, is a system so that users can specify a .CSV t get some data from. Currently, my macro only will generate a Pie Chart from a variabl range of values, but as the data will come from a .csv file, i'd lik users to be able to specify where the data is coming from. Any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use the GetOpenFilename method to get the file name. For more see the XL VBA help. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <David.Ev...

graphing by group
I have 10 individuals in 5 groups. I would like to graph the individuals but keeping them within their groups. When I try to graph it ends up as 10 groups. I would also like to make each group of individuals a different colour. Thanks, Tim Hi Tim In Step 2 of Chart Wizard make sure you have Series by Rows or Series by Columns correctly selected. If you groups are in different columns us Series by Columns other wise use Series by Rows -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Tim Pasma" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...