What do you use Excel for?

Just a general query really.

Anybody willing to tell me what they use Excel for? Does anybody use it on a
daily basis as part of the personal life? I'm not really looking for the
reasons why people use it at the workplace, but why do people use it at
home? Do you use it to manage your budgets etc???? Do you use it as a diary?

Thanks in advance

0
joebloggs1 (11)

Excel is excellent for manipulating data.  The uses are as
wide as the imagination.  There are people who use it to
track the standings in a bowling league, others for
managing a local golf tournament.  One can build a loan
calculator, keep track of investments, create budgets
etc.  My wife uses it for scheduling her card clubs, I use
it to get the cost basics of an investment and the capital
gains I might incur.   Excel is not for everyone but, MS
Works includes a scaled down version which is excellent
for home use.  I would suggest visiting a library and pick
up a beginners book on Excel.

Charlie O'Neill

0
anonymous (74719)
5/21/2004 1:45:31 PM
On a personal basis, I use it as a tool for encrypting passwords.  I designed it out of a need to develope difficult passwords from easier to remember "simple" ones.  Professionally, I have a spreadsheet I use to track my sales opprotunities and forcast prospective business throughout the year.  I've also developed others for tracking revenue flow, product quotations, even room designs.  Its a pretty versital tool.
.... and it has got a spell-checker.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"cincode5" <steve-dale@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On a personal basis, I use it as a tool for encrypting passwords.  I
designed it out of a need to develope difficult passwords from easier to
remember "simple" ones.  Professionally, I have a spreadsheet I use to track
my sales opprotunities and forcast prospective business throughout the year.
I've also developed others for tracking revenue flow, product quotations,
even room designs.  Its a pretty versital tool.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
5/21/2004 2:05:16 PM
Excel is a great formatting tool. My wife used to use it to set up
weekly diet tables for patients at nursing homes. The patients had
different requirements based on calories allowed and diet restrictions.
She had to change the daily food menus on a weekly basis, so arrangement
of the tables was important.

I have also used Excel and QuattroPro for creating album pages to
display a stamp collection. You can also keep track of the inventory for
your collection with Excel.

I also keep track of my stocks with an Excel spreadsheet. I can update
stock values directly from the Internet with an Excel add-in. Not doing
too well the last couple of weeks...

I write two monthly columns for a weekly stamp newspaper and keep track
of my articles -- subject, when written, when published, and a hyperlink
column to the Word file for each article. I also keep track of the
members of a philatelic group with an Excel spreadsheet. I use the
addresses in this spreadsheet as a source for a Word mail merge to
create mailing labels for our quarterly newsletter.

Very versatile program.

Bill

"That's Confidential" <joebloggs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Just a general query really.

Anybody willing to tell me what they use Excel for? Does anybody use it
on a
daily basis as part of the personal life? I'm not really looking for the
reasons why people use it at the workplace, but why do people use it at
home? Do you use it to manage your budgets etc???? Do you use it as a
diary?

Thanks in advance

0
bsharpe (111)

Excel slow to open a book, but fast empty
Cheers! My Excel 2002 has been working fine, but lately has got a problem: it is very, very slow when opening an xls file by clicking it. It is fast as it should when I open it empty from the start menu. If I create the simplest possible book by just typing something in one cell and saving it, opening it is still slow. Perhaps this format is easier: 0. Excel has been working as it should. 1. Fast when running from start menu, opening an empty book. 2. Slow when clicking an xls file, independent of book complexity. Excel comes up with a transparent main window, but with everything else visi...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Why does Excel lag Word in the simple stuff?
Like choosing the default file location in Office 2007? Like having to alter basic Windows parameters just to change the default type for comments? Little stuff that says a lot about the quality of Microsoft programming and interface design. For several versions Microsoft said it was impossible, personal correspondence, to have combo-boxes in Word forms without writing macros although they were coded into Access. Voila, combo-boxes achieve the impossible in Word 2007. Ya gotta love (or something opposite) those guys . . Either way you get to pay full OS prices for Vista SP3 aka Win 7. ...

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

EXCELL Protection
There needs to be better protection on locked cells. It is possible to alter the formatting of a locked cell by pasting into the cell. Example pasting an entry copied from a % format into a currancy format changes the cell to %. This also follows with coulours etc. Secondly a formula in a locked cell can be corrupted by inadvertantly removing cells that it refers to and then replacing them. Mald Hi have you protected the sheet? (Tools - Protection') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mald wrote: > There needs to be better protection on locked cells. > > It is ...

topographical data maps in excel
I have seen this done, and would like to know how to create topgraphical maps of data sets using excel. I want to take a sample of data ponts and plot the points (easy), than color the plot based upon the values of the points You seem to have been neglected by our community. Yes, it can be done, if I understand your intention correctly. The topography in your approach means, in a sense, the 3D chart. The first two of the three values defininig each point specify the x- and y-coordinates (like on a map); the third value is represented by prescribed colors or shades. You must have you...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

In Excel, how do I insert User Name (author) in a cell.
The function =CELL("filename",A1) returns a file name and sheet name in a cell. How can I obtain the User Name? You can write some VBA to do it. Sub Return_UserName() Sheets("sheet1").Range("A2").Value = Application.UserName End Sub -- Excel_Geek ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excel_Geek's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26423 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398347 And to return just the filename (if you like) you can use this for...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

Using secured OMA

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Allow temporarily use of right click

Excel Pivot Table with Access
I have Excel Pivot Tables that link to an access database to pull only certain info. I would like users to be able to update their individual pivot table without being able to change the query to include additional information. When I disable pivot table use, the pivot table won't update on open. Thanks for any help. -- Jack ...