What do the LEN and -find commands do in Excel?

Can you tell me what these commands are and when you would use them?

Thanks in advance.

hi
len counts the number of characters in a cell inclunding punctuation like
commas, periods etc.

find returns the numeric position of a character within a text in a cell (or
number) from the left.

regards
FSt1

"falcios" wrote:

> Can you tell me what these commands are and when you would use them?
>
> Thanks in advance.

How to see __argc and __targv command arguments using VS.NET 2005 debugger
I have an MFC app (VS.NET 2005) and when I step into the CWinApp::ParseCommandLine(...) there are externs __argc and __targv visible. If I select one and invoke Quickwatch, the message is CX0017: Error: symbol "__targv" not found. How can I look at the command line arguments __argc and __targv using the debugger? I can select the symbol and then go to the definition and see that it's an extern, so the debugger knows that the symbol is defined. Ed -- Edward E.L. Mitchell Phone: (239)415-7039 6707 Daniel Court Fort Myers, FL 33908 Edward Mitchell wrote: > I have an ...

Linking Excel Workbooks
I'm linking data from several workbooks into one master workbook. Most of the fields are linking correctly. However, 1 specific field in the master workbook linking displays "#N/A" While I keep the master book open and bring up the other corresponding file in question....The master books field updates correctly. Once the file closes the master book's field goes back to the "#N/A" It's very nerve racking. The field that this happens with is a work schedule (Ex. 7:00pm-3:30pm) "Lee Holder" <durward.holder.jr@citicorp.com> wrote in message news:...

command line #2
I would appreciate if someone helps me. I am reading a book called MS visual c++ .net. I am trying to learn reading from file using system::io. I have been asked to build the application, open a console window, change to the project's Debug directory, and run the program with a suitable command line, such as Cppfiles sa. Can anybody tell me how can I do that? Wouldnt ShellExecute do this for you? -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Allen Maki" <allenmaki@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:uPsTeusAHHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > I would ...

How do I have excel save a copy every _ minutes ONLY in the even.
How do I have excel save a copy every _ minutes ONLY in the event of a crash? If you're using xl2002 or higher, turn on AutoRecovery. It actually saves a copy of the workbook and will recover from a crash (excel or windows). (From a previous post:) But xl2k (and previous versions) offers an autosave function--used it to save your files at regular timed intervals. As an alternative, you may want to consider using Jan Karel Pieterse's addin called AutoSafe (note spelling). It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user selectable folder. And wh...

How offten do Excel spreadsheets auto save?
If a user spent several hours on a excel spreadsheet and the computer is unresponsive (hung) what if anything can be done? As often as you tell it to. tools>options>save> -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "K Christopher" <K Christopher @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF22EB94-F832-452C-B665-D8EDD1E6262F@microsoft.com... > If a user spent several hours on a excel spreadsheet and the computer is > unresponsive (hung) what if anything can be done? Hi K, > If a user spent several hours on a excel spreadsheet an...

Excel spreadsheet hyperlink
hi, I am using a excel spreadsheet object to display some information in a webpage.I want to insert a hyperlink in one of the cells say http://www.microsoft.com . I am able to write this in the cell. But it does not initially show it as an hyperlink. On going to the cell and cliking within the cell it becomes hyperlink. What should i do so that it initially shows as an hyperlink bye Abhilash Hi Manu For Excel 2000 and above you go to Tools>Auto Corect Options-Autoformat as you type and check "Internet and network path with hyperlinks". ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com ...

len()
hi all, please help finding the correct length! A1=123 7 (note: in A1 there are 4 spaces between the 3 and the 7). now the formula RIGHT(A1,4) will yield 7 in looking for the length of this result (the 7) suing the formula LEN(RIGHT(A1,4)) this will produce 4, where i'm assuming to be 1 , similarly if A1=123 78 then RIGHT(A1,5) is 78 and the LEN(RIGHT(A1,5)) will give 5 where i'm waiting to see 2 thanks for any help Maybe you need to re-state your question. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "excelFan" <excelFan@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Date Formats in Excel are incorrect
have created an app in ASP which prints out timeclock events. It also saves them to an excel file. Problem is the dates are displayed correctly on screen and in the printout, however, any date in 2004 is displayed as mm/dd/yyyy. All dates for 2003 were displayed as per my locale dd/mm/yyyy. Changing the following code to use long date format has been the only solution so far, but I need to use short date format of dd/mm/yyyy. Response.write "objXLSheet.Range(""" & strColumnVal & intCounter & """).NumberFormat = ""dd/mm/yyyy""...

Excel columns to row
I have a spreadsheet with data arranged like: Case ID+ Priority* Type* Item* Group+ Create Date It is 75 Rows long. I need to convert the data to look like the following: Case ID+ Priority* Type* Item* Group+ Create Date Case ID+ Priority* Type* Item* Group+ Create Date Case ID+ Priority* Type* Item* Group+ Create Date On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 08:28:01 -0700, dr <dr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a spreadsheet with data arranged like: >Case ID+ Priority* Type* Item* Group+ Create Date > >It is 75 Rows long. > >I need to convert the data to look like the...

VBA Excel Application on the Web
I have an EXCEL financial application written in VBA that I would like to publish on the web. Does anyone know a product or way to do this -- and how to protect it from hackers??!! I don't know anything about publishing to the web, but if you're code is written in VBA, then the only way to protect it from hackers is to keep it private. Excel's protection (even project protection) is very weak. You could keep many (most?) out of the project by: (within the VBE) tools|VBAProject Properties|Protection tab (but it won't stop anyone who really cares.) lancish wrote: > >...

Notepad command line
There is a shortcut in AllUsers Startup %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Desktop\todo.txt" That comes up twice. If you put it in Me's startups it doesn't come up at all. Would more/less quotes/switches make a difference? THis is laptop Home Edition. On a Pro XP desktop, this works fine. But on the laptop, default TXT deitor is emacs, not notepad. - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{No...

Excel sheet with link to Word document
Hi, I have a two page Word document that I would like to appear in an Excel worksheet as a link. I can create the link various ways (paste special, insert object, etc) but, the Word document appears and links - but only ever displays Page 1. Does anyone have an ideas on how I can get both pages displayed in Excel. I know it's a strange request - but this is what the client requires. An embedded Word document will only show one page. You could separate the text into two Word documents, and insert both into the Excel file. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www...

How do I merge an Excel mailing List with Microsoft Word Document
I have columns or in the old DOS version "fields" where I have placed first name, Last name, street address, City, State and Zip. In addition I have a field for the Salutation which may contain more than one first name, i.e. Mary and Joe. I want to merge these individual rows in excel into a Word document. Kookie For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm And a training tutorial for c...

Blackberry and Excel
I have an excel workbook with multiple sheets - when I open it on my blackberry it opens the first sheet not the last. Is there a way to set up the workbook - so it opens a certain sheet, not the first one. ...

Is there a "SetFocus" function in Excel...
I created a login page on a sheet with two textboxes (User ID and Password). I would like to set the cursor in the User ID field every time the sheet is activated or when the button is clicked. Thanks for your time. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Assuming your User ID field is cell B5, insert the following line: Range("B5").select (a) in the macro run by the button, and (b) in the worksheet Worksheet_Activate sub If you don't know h...

converting pdf to excel
I am wondering if there is a way to convert data, tables, and graphs from a pdf format into excel. If anyone knows how, please let me know. Thanks. Scott Hi Scott, It depends on the PDF document. If security setting prohibit copy/paste, nothing can be done without the password. If you have the Acrobat editor there is a table copy options under the text selector tool. Worst case is a screen capture, save as picture, use OCR software to scrap the text. -- John johnf202 at hotmail dot com "scott" <scott.barnett@ubs.com> wrote in message news:8e7b01c3458f$49121eb0$a...

"There was a problem sending the command to the program" OfficeLiv
Every time Excel opens (or some of the other Office applications) Office Live dialog opens. The box is checked, to indicate not to open this box again, but it always does open. If you doubleclick on a workbook, the message appears: "There was a problem sending the command to the program", which I believe to result from the Office Live dialog. How can this be stopped? I uninstalled Office Live Update using Programs and features. I looked in Trusted Locations for items in the startup folders; they are all empty. Thanks, in advance, for advice ...

What function to use? Len?
I am going to create customer ID - Alphanumeric. I have the whole company names and I was trying to come up with a scheme that I can use an Excel Function to make the process faster. I thought about Len but not sure - Is there a command where I can say give me Say the first letter of the company name and numbers behind it. Such as American Can Company - Result of Function - Ameri125 If this is even possible With A1 holding: American Can Company This formula =LEFT(A1,5)&LEN(A1) returns Ameri20 I am not sure where you got the 125 from best wishes -- Bernard Liengm...

How do you run an excel macro automatically overnight?
I would like to schedule several excel macro to run overnight to format and distribute several reports to co-workers and other stakeholders. I would appreciate any and all suggestions My approach has been to create an AutoOpen macro in Excel (it's got to be signed by a digitial certificate that you've 'trusted'). Then run the Excel file via a Windows scheduled task. "Scott J" wrote: > I would like to schedule several excel macro to run overnight to format and > distribute several reports to co-workers and other stakeholders. > > I would appreci...

VB Chart > Excel
I have a vb program that pulls data from a database and displays it onscreen. This includes a chart - is there a quick way of bascially copying this chart into an excel spreadsheet via code from my program? I have already got my listboxes and so on to fill in their info onto a new blank sheet, but the chart is also going to be handy. I assume one way is to copy all the data from the chart to a hidden sheet and use that maybe, but I am hoping I can do something simpler... Ta, James. James - Make a template that has some dummy data and the chart you like, already formatted. Create a new fil...

Links in Excel
Is there a way to get a list of spreadsheets that a given spreadsheet is using. Edit > Links >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to get a list of spreadsheets that a given >spreadsheet is using. >. > ...

Close command
I have the following command to close a Form: Private Sub Mainform_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command19_Click DoCmd.Close Exit_Mainform_Click: Exit Sub Err_Mainform_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Mainform_Click End Sub How can I change the command that the DB gets closed and not only the Form. Thanks Klaus DoCmd.Quit -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Amateur" wrote: > I have the following command to close a Form: > Private Sub Mainform_Click() > On Error GoTo Err_Command19_Click > > > DoCmd.Close > > Exit_Mainfor...

Excel annoyance
When saving a file in Excel, the following message appears: "The file [name of file] may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do?" And the option it gives are: Save a Copy or Overwrite changes. How do I turn this feature off? Hi have you shared this workbook ('Tools - share workbook') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "thethinker" <thethinker@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4A0205C8-F5EE-433C-ABA2-1814A92B3BB2@microsoft.com... > When saving a file in Excel, the follo...

IF Command
In column A I have values 1st 2nd 3rd and in Column B I want it to say January 04 January 04 January 04 I only want January 04 to appear when something is entered into the adjacent Column A cell Can anyone help? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ B1: =IF(A1<>"","January 04","") and copy down. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "ianripping >" <<ianripping.100y8e@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:i...

Transfer problems[Excel 97]
Hi all, I got a strange probs occuring with excel 97. I had to change the format of some cells from dd-mm-yy to dd-mm-yyyy So I used custum and added 2 year number. I worked perfectly but when I transfered my work to another computer all the format I did have been removed. I don't know if you guys understand but if you could help me plz, thank you, Tulka -- Tulka ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tulkas's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2438 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t...