weekday

How do you get Excell 2000 to automatically show a weekday
based on a reference from a date cell? I did it about 6 or
7 years ago with an old version by subtracting a date
number from the current date (as a numeric value).
0
monica1 (1)

If you want today (Aug 6, 2003) to be displayed as Wednesday, just
Format>Cells>Custom and use dddd as type.
If you require a number, put a WEEKDAY() function in another cell. Look in
Help for details: there are several weekday numbering systems.

--
Regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"monica" <monica@wildginger.net> wrote in message
> How do you get Excell 2000 to automatically show a weekday
> based on a reference from a date cell? I did it about 6 or
> 7 years ago with an old version by subtracting a date
> number from the current date (as a numeric value).

0
nicolaus (2022)
8/6/2003 6:59:49 PM
A1: 8/6/03
B1: =A1

Custom format B1 as dddd.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jason.morin (561)
8/6/2003 7:01:54 PM
Assume the date is in A1 and you are filling down starting in A2

=A1+CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(A1),1,1,1,1,1,3,2)

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"monica" <monica@wildginger.net> wrote in message
> How do you get Excell 2000 to automatically show a weekday
> based on a reference from a date cell? I did it about 6 or
> 7 years ago with an old version by subtracting a date
> number from the current date (as a numeric value).

0
twogilvy (1078)

Weekdays
I would like to add a field in a query just to dispaly the day of the week for a particular recor Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200707/1 If the field is named Date1, type this expression into a fresh column in the Field row: Format([Date1], "dddd") Use "ddd" if you just want the first 3 letters of the name. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "C...

subtract one weekday
In one worksheet I've got weekdays (SUN-SAT). What I would like to do is link those cells to another worksheet in the same workbook, but have them be minus one day. For example: worksheet1 would have WED, but the linked cell in worksheet2 would be TUE. Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance What type of data are SUN-SAT? Are they real Excel dates custom formatted like "ddd" or strings (texts)? -- Regards! Stefi „bcags7” ezt írta: > In one worksheet I've got weekdays (SUN-SAT). What I would like to do is link > those cells to...

Excel Macro Weekday / Today Function
Would like to increment a formatted General cell by 1 each time the da is either Tuesday or Friday, from one year to the next. Would like thi to be automated so that it is updated regardless of whether I actuall open the file. So, if I have not opened the file for 2 weeks the cel will be updated by the required days during those 2 weeks. Thanks QT -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: Assuming you're starting as of last Sunday (30 May 2004): =2*INT((TODAY()-DATE(2004,5,30))/7) + (WEEKDAY(TODAY())>=3) + (WEEKDAY(TODAY())>=6) In article <QTE.17amye...

weekday
How do you get Excell 2000 to automatically show a weekday based on a reference from a date cell? I did it about 6 or 7 years ago with an old version by subtracting a date number from the current date (as a numeric value). If you want today (Aug 6, 2003) to be displayed as Wednesday, just Format>Cells>Custom and use dddd as type. If you require a number, put a WEEKDAY() function in another cell. Look in Help for details: there are several weekday numbering systems. -- Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "monica" <monica@wildginger.net> wrote in message news:...

Round The weekday
Dear expert, I've got a question here : How to I formulate in order to let the weekday to round into the same week Friday ?? Example : if A1= Aug 16, i want it to determine and become in A2 =Aug 20, Another example : A1= Aug 18 , --> become in to A2= Aug 20. Friday is the start day. Greatly appreicated for help. Thanks. ST Hi try: =A1-WEEKDAY(A1-4,3)+7 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ShirleyT" <shirleytung@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:eTHxt8ahEHA.1888@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Dear expert, > I've got a question here : > H...

weekdays
Let's say I want to cause a certain action at a particular time and the time is different depending on the Day of the week. Suggestions.?? Obviously using EXCEL. Example, AC control throughout the week. The particular package uses DDE. That's no problem. The original data is the problem. For scheduling http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (Remove ^^ from email) "vernon" <there@there> wrote in message news:OLdgM3piHHA.4844@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > ...

Weekday Problem
I am trying to create weekdays in cells from a date cell and want the weekday cells to give me back the day of the month as a day number only from that date that I enter over a specific number of cells. I also want to have the days fill in automatically over certain period of cell. Help...Thanks so much what a great forum... -- deanholmes ------------------------------------------------------------------------ deanholmes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33512 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=533048 I don'...

auto fill weekdays only does not work
Type in the date in a cell 8/25/2004 then highlight it, click edit,fill,series,row,date, weekday and leave the step at 1 or even delete it either way click ok go back to cell little black cross at bottom right drag down and it fills with consecutive days not weekdays. Have tried every variation multiple times. Cleared the contents. Went to new sheet. Tried the little auto fill options box that apperars nothing works. Any suggestions. email me at Hamilton3576@bellsouth.net TX Try this: Type the date. Select the cell with the date and all the cells you want filled with a date. Then, go t...

weekday in date
Hello All Does anyone know how to put the weekday in a date format? I would like to have a date formate that says something like 'Friday 08-Oct-04'. Thanks in advance. Hans Goto Format, Cells, Custom and apply the format dddd dd-mmm-yy HTH, sulprobil Hi use a custom format such as DDDD DD-MMM-YY -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Hans" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3d4b01c4ac51$b0fc9c10$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hello All > > Does anyone know how to put the weekday in a date format? > I would like to have a d...

WEEKDAY()
Regarding WEEKDAY(), I read that problems can occur if dates are entered = as text. Based on this, it is understandable that =3DWEEKDAY(2/14/2008) returns a = wrong result (7). This is because general format is same as text. If I enter =3DWEEKDAY(DATE(2008,2,14)), I get the correct result (5). Okay, so far. What I don't understand is the following. I click A1 and key in 2/14/2008, then in A2, I key in =3DWEEKDAY(A1). I = also get the correct result (5). =20 The way I enter 2/14/2008 to A1 is exactly the same as I enter 2/14/2008 = *directly* to the formula. It amazes me that refer...

Autofill: Need to autofill one week block, (5) weekday only into cells.
What I need to do I'm sure is simple but I can't get the formula/format correct. What I want to do is be able to autofill weekday only, one week blocks at a time. For example, I would like to be able to enter 6/20/05 - 6/24/05, select the cell and then drag it to x amount of cells to have it autofill the same format. So 4 cells would look like this: 6/20/05-6/24/05 6/27/05-7/1/05 7/4/05-7/8/05 7/11/05-7/15/05 Non-business weekdays aren't a problem, I just need the 5 day, weekday, one week blocks to be able to autofill. Any help is appreciated, thanks. -- dstock -----------...

WEEKDAY IF FORMULA
I want to create an formula - where i type in a future date say July 5th 2005. THEN to the right it will show me 21 days before 14 days before a week before and 4 days before BUT what i want to do is if that date is on a WEEKEND, then to go to the next earlist weekday. so say 4 days before is a Sunday or Sat- than i want it to show me the Friday. HELPPPPPPPP! Have a look at the WORKDAY function... In article <1117033993.489634.238530@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, standardprince@gmail.com wrote: > I want to create an formula - where i type in a future date say July > 5th 2005...

weekdays
I want to be able to give a numeric value of 0 to 6 to days entered as [ Wed to Tue.], and have a numeric value for the entered day linked to the entered day. Eg. enter any day 'wed to tue' the entered day given a value of zero If day = wed then day = 0 { then the value for fri would be 2 } If day = fri then day = 0 { then the value for mon would be 3 } etc..... I have tried using the 'INDEX' function but as I have multiple day entries I can't get it to work I listed Mon thru Sun and thru Sat again in a column and named the rang "namelist" - 13 d...

Working with weekdays
Hi, I am trying to add and subtract weekdays. Example I must schedule the delivery of the printer two days prior to the scheduled 7/10/2006 training date. High Level Formula: Training Date - 2 days lead time = delivery date What commands should I use to calculate the delivery date? Assuming you do not want to include weekends as delivery dates. =WORKDAY(A1,-2) Where your training date is in A1. You can also have this ignor holidays. List your holidays in a range say C1:C10. Your formul would then be, =WORKDAY(A2,-2,C1:C10) If you want holidays and weekends included then...

Weekday in text
I am usung the function =weekday() in a spreadsheet. Is there a function that will return the results in text (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, ...) instead of integers (1,2,3...)? =text(today(),"dddd") or =TEXT(WEEKDAY("12/25/2003",1),"dddd") -- John johnf202 at hotmail dot com "Wilfred" <wpla@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:brmcnTXyNIDYAuSiU-KYgg@comcast.com... > I am usung the function =weekday() in a spreadsheet. > > Is there a function that will return the results in text (Sunday, Monday, > Tuesday, ...) instead of integers...

WEEKDAY() and ADDRESS()
Hello, I have a spreadsheet which has many dates on it and I need a complicated formula to look them up I use the address() function to convert it to a format weekday() will recognise, but it gives me a #VALUE! error for no apparent reason. Try putting a date in A1, and "=WEEKDAY(ADDRESS(1,1))" in any other cell.. why the error? what's the workaround? Thanks! On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:30:47 -0800, Jade <jadeandandrew@july21.co.uk> wrote: >Hello, > >I have a spreadsheet which has many dates on it and I need a >complicated formula to look them up I use the addr...

WEEKDAY using IF
I have a cell(C27) with the foumula: =TODAY()+1 When I open the file on Friday, it shows Saturday. I want it to show Monday. How do I modify the formula if C21 is Saturday(6), then Weekday +2 My formula that doesn't work is: =IF(TODAY()+1=WEEKDAY(6),TODAY()+3) Am I close??? Joe One way: =IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY())>5,TODAY()-WEEKDAY(TODAY(),3)+7,TODAY()+1) another, if you have the Analysis Toolpak Add-in loaded (Tools/Addins..): =WORKDAY(TODAY(),1) In article <uqXKY5g2EHA.3128@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, "lunker55" <this_is_not_my_email_address@hotmail.com> w...

Using weekdays only in a schedule
We designed a worksheet that allows our assocaites to enter a due date, and any number of steps to complete in days or weeks to compute the start date. It's pretty simple, but there's no accounting for weekends in the timeline. The previous steps are calculated with =(previous date)-(#of days+(number of weeks*days/week)) Is there any way to only count weekdays, Or subtract 1 if saturday or 2 if sunday? I'm happy to forward the sheet to anyone interested. Thanks Look at the WORKDAY() function. See HELP for details. If you get a #NAME error: Tools>Add-ins, check Analysis Too...

Identifying Weekdays
Hi, I have a cell with a drop-down list that allows the user to select any day of the week, Sunday through to Monday. Once the selection has been made, the chosen day appears in the cell as text. I need to use the chosen day in a date formula, so need to extract it as its 'day number', i.e. Sunday =1, Monday = 2...... Saturday = 7. What is the easiest way to do this? Thanks, -- Mike -Please remove 'safetycatch' from email address before firing off your reply- Does this work for you: =LOOKUP(A1,{"Friday","Monday","Saturday","Sun...

How do I add weekdays?
I have a column of dates. How do I get excel to automatically put the weekday in? I currently have excel 2003. Will I need to update to excel 2007 in order for it to be able to do this? -- http://existenceandreality.blogspot.com/ Highlight the column then click on Format | Cells | Number tab. Choose Custom from the list (near the bottom) and then type this format in the panel: dddd dd/mm/yyyy When you use dddd in the format string Excel will take it that you mean the full day, whereas ddd will give you Mon, Tue, Wed etc. If you want the weekday in a separate column, then assuming ...

Adding weekdays in a date formula
How would you add weekdays to a formula? ex. A1 = 1/1/10 If I want to add 80 WORKDAYS (excluding weekends), what formular would I use? =(A1+80) does't work... You were close to the name... =WORKDAY(A1,80) Note that you can add a third arguement to this function to define holidays, if desired. -- Best Regards, Luke M "Handy" <Handy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F73D7071-1877-4CAE-A17D-05EE0FDD02AC@microsoft.com... > How would you add weekdays to a formula? ex. > > A1 = 1/1/10 > > If I want to add 80 WORKDAYS...

convert weekday string to number
Is there an easy way to convert a string which is either "Monday" thru "Sunday" into a number to work with? In particular, I want to add a 1 if the cell contains "Monday", 2 if "Tuesday" etc. Any ideas? Thanks! Have a look in HELP index for LOOKUP -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "nico" <nico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5E9B082-ACD5-4351-AAFD-B534E80074A0@microsoft.com... > Is there an easy way to convert a string which is either "Monday" thru > "Sunday" into a number ...

weekday and date series fill
I'd like to create an academic lesson plan book with weekday and date as the column heading. Is there a simple way to combine the weekday plus the date (for example, Tuesday, July 29) and have it generate 36 weeks of dates? I know how to do this seperately (weekday or date), and have tried a few different simple things, but nothing seems to be working for me. Thanks for your help. Teacher_Becky, Here is what I did to get "Wednesday Jul 30" in a cell. Select the start cell, say A1. Select Format,Cells and "Custom" In the widow on the right side under "Type:&...

Sumif weekday
I'm trying to sumif different days of the week. Table is setup as below: A. Date Date Date Date Date ...... B. Data Data Data Data Data ...... I know that =weekday(Date,1) will give me a 1 through 7 of the date Sunday through Saturday. Somehow, I feel like =sumif(A:A,weekday(A:A)=1,sum(B:B)) would give me the sum of all Sundays but it's not quite working. What am I'm doing wrong? Can someone help me out? I don't want to make row A into a static Sun, Mon, Tue. Then it's easy since =sumif(A:A,="Sun",sum(B:B)) would probably work. Thanks so much ...

Weekday function
Does VBA have a function which accepts an integer input between 1 and 7, which returns a string value to represent the corresponding day of the week?? For example, if you give the function an integer value of 1, then it should give back a string of "Sunday"... and the number 7 should return "Saturday". I know I can easily write my own function, but I'm curious if VBA provides a function already. No need for me to reinvent the wheel. thank you Don't think so, you would need to write one Function MyWeekDay(DayNum As Long) As String Dim Days A...