Weekday formula

Can anyone help with the weekday formula.
What I want to do is enter the date  in say A1 11/20/2003 and have B
return the answer of Thursday. Currently I use the weekday formula bu
only returns the number of the day.

Thanks in advance

There are several ways to do this.  One is to enter =A1 and format the cell
with a custom number format of dddd.  Another way is to use the function
=TEXT(A1,"dddd").

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"brianwa" <brianwa.x7ppa@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone help with the weekday formula.
> What I want to do is enter the date  in say A1 11/20/2003 and have B1
> return the answer of Thursday. Currently I use the weekday formula but
> only returns the number of the day.
>
> Thanks in advance
> BW

chip1612 (31)
11/20/2003 10:08:12 PM
The easiest way is just to use =A1 in cell B1 and custom
format B1 as "dddd" under Format > Cells > Number tab.

Or use this in B1:

=TEXT(A1,"dddd")

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

http://www.ExcelForum.com/

>.

0
jason.morin (561)
11/20/2003 10:11:00 PM
1. You can custom format the cell as  dddd (1900 date system)
2. Have a range (here called "days") with the 7 days of the week an
use something like :-
=INDEX(days,WEEKDAY(A1)

Changing formulas in invoices
How do I change the calculations on an Invoice in Money business 2005? Thanks ...

Formula Help #55
How do I take a cells numeric value and see if it falls inbetween a range of cells values. IF(A1 falls between A2:A3, Yes,No) A1 = 6 A2 = 1 A3 = 10 -- BFiedler ------------------------------------------------------------------------ BFiedler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27262 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=469393 I don't understand this forum..what is the deal..no one ever replies to my questions. :mad: -- BFiedler ------------------------------------------------------------------------ BFied...

Weekdays
I would like to add a field in a query just to dispaly the day of the week for a particular recor Thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/200707/1 If the field is named Date1, type this expression into a fresh column in the Field row: Format([Date1], "dddd") Use "ddd" if you just want the first 3 letters of the name. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "C...

Weird formula request
I would like to have a column that records the date that another column ("Status") was populated with a value. The column titled "Status," when populated with a value, marks the row a certain color depending on the text entered in the field. For example, if I enter "cb" (meaning 'call back') the row turns a light yellow. There are about 10 different possibilities that could be entered and colors that correspond with the entered text. Regardless of the text entered into the "Status" column, I would like another column's field in the same ro...

Why are the two codes below not getting the right formula for my worksheet event change formula?
Why are the two codes below not getting the right formula for my worksheet event change formula? The remaining ones do work, but these two are not getting the right results. Target.Offset(0, 6).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]&RC[-5]" Target.Offset(0, 7).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-2]&RC[-5]" I'm trying to get both column G & H to show a combined value of data in other columns. Column G should show result by combining data from column E & B, while column H should show result by combining data from column F & C. Column G is showing: =RC[-2]&RC[-5] ...

Formula Explanation
Hello I wanted to create a list with weekdays only and I have found this formula which works perfectly but I wondered if someone could explain it to me so that I can write one myself if I need to in the future. =IF(WEEKDAY(A2+1)=7,A2+3,IF(WEEKDAY(A2+1)=1,A2+4,A2+1)) Thank you The formula is not correct if you want the next Monday if the date in A2 is either Fri, Sat or Sunday, it works for Fridays and Sundays but not for Saturdays, if you put today's date in A2 it will return Wednesday the 15th Change it to =IF(WEEKDAY(A2+1)=7,A2+3,IF(WEEKDAY(A2+1)=1,A2+2,A2+1)) Weekday returns 1...

subtract one weekday
In one worksheet I've got weekdays (SUN-SAT). What I would like to do is link those cells to another worksheet in the same workbook, but have them be minus one day. For example: worksheet1 would have WED, but the linked cell in worksheet2 would be TUE. Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance What type of data are SUN-SAT? Are they real Excel dates custom formatted like "ddd" or strings (texts)? -- Regards! Stefi „bcags7” ezt írta: > In one worksheet I've got weekdays (SUN-SAT). What I would like to do is link > those cells to...

Why does my formula return zero?
I am attempting to create a formula where column "C" has locations represented by numbers. Column "F" is estimated completion dates. Column "K" is the actual completion date. I would like to count the dates in (column "K") by location (column "C"). And by month (column "F"). I tried the following formula but it returns 0. The correct answer is 6. Could someone please take a look at this and tell me what I am doing wrong? SUMPRODUCT(--(C2:C465=1700),--(F2:F465>=DATE(2005,3,1)),--(F2:F465<=DATE(2005,3,31)),--(ISNUMBER(K2:K465))...

Excel Macro Weekday / Today Function
Would like to increment a formatted General cell by 1 each time the da is either Tuesday or Friday, from one year to the next. Would like thi to be automated so that it is updated regardless of whether I actuall open the file. So, if I have not opened the file for 2 weeks the cel will be updated by the required days during those 2 weeks. Thanks QT -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: Assuming you're starting as of last Sunday (30 May 2004): =2*INT((TODAY()-DATE(2004,5,30))/7) + (WEEKDAY(TODAY())>=3) + (WEEKDAY(TODAY())>=6) In article <QTE.17amye...

How to make a formula with < or> in a cell
I am trying to make a formula that does this: If the amount of L2 is less than $25, times it by .052; if the amount of L2 is $25 or above, times it by .01 Try =IF(L2<25,L2*0.52,L2*0.1) Regards Rowan "RickyBubbalu" wrote: > I am trying to make a formula that does this: > > If the amount of L2 is less than $25, times it by .052; if the amount of L2 > is $25 or above, times it by .01 > an alternative with no IF =A1*0.01+(A1<25)*A1*0.042 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Rowan" <Rowan@discussions.micr...

formula to update dates periodically
I am creating a spreadsheet and one column will have a date established and another column will have a follow-up date, which will be three weeks from established date. Is there a formula to change the follow-up date every three weeks and can it stop changing when the word "closed" is entered in another column. The follow-up date already has a conditional format to turn red and alert user that notices are due. The esatblish date is permanent. Some thoughts on a possible approach .. Suppose you have this set-up in cols A and B EstabDate Status 15-Feb-08 Open 15-Mar-08 Open et...

weekday
How do you get Excell 2000 to automatically show a weekday based on a reference from a date cell? I did it about 6 or 7 years ago with an old version by subtracting a date number from the current date (as a numeric value). If you want today (Aug 6, 2003) to be displayed as Wednesday, just Format>Cells>Custom and use dddd as type. If you require a number, put a WEEKDAY() function in another cell. Look in Help for details: there are several weekday numbering systems. -- Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "monica" <monica@wildginger.net> wrote in message news:...

Complicated Formula #2
Hi. I'm trying to do a very complicated formula. I have a list of ten numbers in a row and I have one cell which is telling me the max of those ten numbers. This new cell I want to be able to find the number that was returned from the above cell and then create a formula from that point. I want the formula to keep looking back (going down the excel spreadsheet) looking for the lowest number in a row from that number, and divide the current number by that number. Example: From say a1:a10 I have : 2, 6, 4, 8, 4, 9, 3, 2, 1, 4 Cell one returns - 9 Cell two would look what came before...

Creating a formula in Excel
How do I create a formula to update weekly PTO time? I have to keep up with 300 employees PTO time on a weekly basis. Example: I accumlate 1.54 hours at the end of every week with the week ending every Sunday. So starting 1/10/2010 I started off with 1.54 hours. Now, on 2/28/2010 I have accumlated 12.32 hours. I have people constantly asking me how many hours do they have. I would like to create a spreadsheet with all the employees names on it and have it update every Sunday, so that I will not have to go to the calculator for all these employees. Could someone give me an example...

How do I check a formula?
Is there a program or a website where I can insert my formula and have it checked. Is there an add-on of some sort? I use Excel2000. checked for what? -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm working on it anyway "jnord" <jnord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E228B78-C59A-44B7-86C5-2F10C8F6196F@microsoft.com... > Is there a program or a website where I can insert my formula and have it > checked. Is there an add-on of some sort? I use Excel2000. jnord, Post it here. You'll have dozens of reviewers.....

Excel Error: "Formula is too long" when modifying formula
Version: Excel, Office 2002 Error: "Formula is too long" Details: Select cell containing formula, choose EDIT/REPLACE. Enter characters to replace, and choose to 'replace' (not replace all) generates above error message. Trouble shooting: Move file to the root of C: incase the directory path+filename was too long. This did not help. Moved the 4 linked tabs to new sheet and get same error. This is a workbook that contains linked sheets. Not sure if this could be a limitation of excel or not. PLEASE HELP!!! Billy B. Hi you may post your formula. Excel limits the form...

Formulas #13
What is wrong with this formula? I get "#value" as the answer. =IF(VLOOKUP(C10,$J$22:$K$53,2,FALSE)="W",IF(VLOOKUP(D10,$J$22:$K$53,2,FALSE="W"),IF(VLOOKUP(E10,$J$22:$K$53,2,FALSE)="W",IF(VLOOKUP(F10,$J$22:$K$53,2,FALSE)="W",IF(VLOOKUP(G10,$J$22:$K$53,2,FALSE)="W",IF(VLOOKUP(H10,$J$22:$K$53,2,FALSE)="W","Still In","OUT")))))) -- Thanks Smooth Check your other post. Smooth75 wrote: > > What is wrong with this formula? I get "#value" as the answer. > > =IF(VLOOKUP(C10,$J$22:$K...

How do I set up formulas to update graphs dynamically
Hello, I have the following information I need to graph date Feb-08 Mar-08 Apr-08 May-08 Jun-08 Jul-08 burn 116 23 254 inventory 3035 3011 2757 The "date" is the x-axis label and the "burn" and "inventory" are the values on the y-axis. If the values for burn and inventory are blank for a particular date, I don't want the information plotted. As I add values for each date, I would like the graph to be updated automatically. I understand I need to define a named range and use it in the graph, however, I have not been successful in doing this. Also, even t...

Creating a Formula to Format Column automatically? #6
What if I wanted to do more than three conditions -- bludovic ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bludovico's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1480 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26434 You can have 4 conditions. 1. The default 2,3,4 other conditions. More than that would require Code, most likely Event code. Example.... Option Compare Text Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim Num As Long Dim rng As Range Dim vRngInput As Variant Set vRngInput = I...

write graph series using formulas
Can we write or edit graph's series instead of selecting the required cells by setting a formula that reflects the required cells to be selected? When you select a series in a chart, there is a formula in the formula bar: =SERIES(etc.) This formula has four parameters: Series Name, X values, Y values, plot order. If it's a bubble chart it has a fifth parameter for bubble size. You can edit these formulas right in the formula bar, you can copy a formula, select the plot area, and paste the formula into the formula bar to add it to the same or a different chart. And you can simpl...

Help with a formula
Hi, I'd like to create a formula to replace "Rubbish" with the appropriate value. For example: Column A Column B Rubbish Name 1 Rubbish Name 1 Rubbish Name 1 Rubbish Name 2 Rubbish Name 2 Rubbish Name 3 Rubbish Name 3 Rubbish Name 3 Rubbish Name 4 Name 1 relates to Mr A Name 2 relates to Mr A Name 3 relates to Mr A Name 4 relates to Mr B Replace "Rubbish" with "Mr A" where name = 1-3 Replace "Rubbish" with "Mr B" where name = 4 Is there a straightforward method for the above? M...

Formula #33
Hi Can a formula in a cell be protected, even if the contents that the forula has looked is deleted. Thanks in advance Jason The cell with the formula can be locked. But that means that when the worksheet is protected, the user can't change the formula--or overwrite the cell with something else. But this doesn't mean that the cell's value will always be the same. If you change the values in the cells that this formula uses, then the formula will reevaluate and display something else. If you want to "lock-in" that value in any cell, you'll have to convert that ce...

Full page formulas
How do I do this for every row? Example: =SUM(C4*0.5) =SUM(E4*15) =SUM(G4+F4+D4) =SUM(I4-H4) The first question is what are you intending the SUM function to do in each of your formulae? In what way do you want =SUM(C4*0.5) to differ from =C4*0.5 ? In what way do you want =SUM(E4*15) to differ from =E4*15 ? In what way do you want =SUM(G4+F4+D4) to differ from =G4+F4+D4 ? In what way do you want =SUM(I4-H4) to differ from =I4-H4 ? If you don't understand what the SUM function does, try looking it up in Excel help. If you want to fill the formulae down a column, look at th...

Converting Text to Number by formula (Opposite to Text("000",A1) )
Hi All I have several lists of data which have Centres Numbers, some formatted as Text (i.e 012 format) and others formatted like Numbers (i.e 12 format). Now I know how to convert a number to text by formula ( Text ("000",A1) ) however I do not know how to convert the other way around to make Text a single number. The only way I know to do this is text to columns or by clicking the smart tag to convert them, however I want to try and achieve this by formula as I have several data lists to paste in, I would like it to do it automatically. Hope someone can help! Kind regards Adam...

Formula question
OK, here is the problem: I have a worksheet, a very large worksheet that looks like this: Column a 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 I need a formula that tells me how many ones, how many 2s, and how many 3s are in the column. I have about 1 million numbers and need to apply the formula to the entire column. Thanks =COUNTIF(A:A,ROWS($B$1:B1)) and copy down -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201003 "Ed" wrote: > OK, here is the problem: > I have a worksheet, a very large worksheet that looks like this: > > Column a > 1 > 1 > 1 &g...