Vlookups to Excel Version 3 files.

I use a system that on a daily basis creates an Excel
version 3 file containing cost centers and their budgets.
When I do vlookups from other Excel 97 files to this file
it takes a long time for the sheet to calculate. If I save
the Excel V3 file as Excel 97 its OK, and if the Excel V3
file is open before the 97 file its OK. I don't want to
have to constantly save the V3 file as 97 (I may not be
around to do that always)
Does anyone know how to resolve this.

Thanks

Naz
0
anonymous (74717)

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

Importing text files into Excel
Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to bring large text files into Excel. The data in the text files is separated by spaces. The spaces that separate the data vary in number. I have tried to replace the spaces with tabs while in Notepad but it takes too long. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Chris Open Excel and create a blank workbook. Then: Data | Get External Data | Import Data (this command might be something like Import Text File, if you are using an older version of Excel). Browse to find your file and click to Import it. Should open up the Text Import Wizard. Make...

excel calendars
I've created a two page excel spreadsheet. Tab 1 has all the raw data. Tab 2 has a 31 day calendar template and it is automatically filled in and/or updated once the data is changed in tab 1. The only manual work I have to do is put the days of the week at the top of the calendar. There is one flaw and I was hoping someone might have a solution. A traditional calendar always starts with Monday in the top left and works it's way to Sunday as you move to the right. My calendar on tab 2 starts with the 1st day of the month and moves on to the 7th day of the month on row 1. Hen...

Arabic/Farsi in Office 2004 (Word and Excel)
How do you setup Word 2004 and Excel 2004 to type right to left in arabic or farsi. I have enabled Farsi and arabic in the international pane of the System Preferences and I am able to type perfectly ok in TextEdit. However when I type Arabic or Farsi in Word 2004 the characters appear but they do not connect to one another as they do in TextEdit. Any ideas on how to fix this?? You can not type right to left in Office:Mac yet. This is certainly something to expect from the next version of Office:Mac... With Office:2004 dating from mid 2004, I can expect that the next Office might come out ...

Calendar control Excel
I have a calendar control on a userform in excel. I want to put th date from the calendar control into a cell on the spreadsheet. Tha ok, it lets me do one cell, when I try to click on a different cell o the spreadsheet, nothing happens. How can make the cells in th spreadsheet active so I can click on a different cell to use th calendar control to enter another date into a cell. : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Louis, Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Calendar1.LinkedCell = Target.Address End Sub Put this in the sheet module. -- Earl Ki...

Am I stupid, or is it Excel???????
1. We have a list of numbers. 2. We need to calculate the average of the numbers 3. We need to know how many numbers in the series are equal to, or greater than the average. This works well in two stages ie. =Average then =countif......but if these are nested as a single function Excel returns a zero value. Are we completely stupid (sensible answers only), or have we missed the point of Excel completely. Also, using the wonderful expression builders, returns the same zero value. Winner is entitled to a lifetimes supply of Cranberry Juice. Difficult to say without your formula! -- Ki...

outlook bug
error if we export a calendar to excel "Beim Importieren oder Exportieren ist ein Fehler aufgetreten und der Import/Export-Vorgang wurde abgebrochen. Der MAPI-Fehler 0X80004005 wurde gemeldet...." An error occurred while importing or exporting and the import/export was terminated. MAPI error 0X80004005 was reported. Please try to import/export later. other PC - same error no virusscanner - same error has anybody an idea Windows XP SP2 Outlook 2003 Franz Chernjak, you wrote on Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:50:00 +0200: > An error occurred while importing or exporting and the im...

wmp cannot play file
file as extension .iso error message found cood1199 what is this and how do i sort it please. ..iso is an image file and it doesn't get "played." You need a burning program like imgburn to burn the image to a CD/DVD. -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." "stoneage" <stoneage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:637CE0D3-90E6-4217-A908-13F5C5A8BE70@microsoft.com... > file as extension .iso error message found cood1199 what is this and how > do i > ...

Excel 2000 files open with Excel 2010
I have just installed Office 2010 but have retained Office 2000. All my Excel 2000 files now open with Excel 2010. I've tried going into File Types and selecting the Excel 200 executable as the file to open XLS files, but they still open with Excel 2010. How can I return the default program for opening XLS files to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe instead of using C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Excel.exe? I know I can open Excel 2000 and opening the files from there, but that is much more inconvenient. Any ideas? -- Ian -- To set a particular ver...

Inserting pictures causes Excel 2003 to launch dialup networking.
I just learned of a new bug...if anybody can confirm this please tell me how I can get around this issue. First of all, to replicate the problem...just disconnect from the web. Then launch Excel 2003. Then select Insert/Picture/From File option in the main menu. After the dialog box opens...you will immediately see the dialup dialog box open and attempt to connect to the web. I've tried disabling the Web services option in Excel 2003 to no avail. I still get the dialup networking connection trying to load in when I try to insert simple images located on my local file on my local ha...

drag and drop #3
How can I drag and drop contacts to calendar with name and addres... you can't - the contact is linked to the calendar item and you'll need to open the contact to get the address. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "luzadder" <l...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

Excel 2003 word wrap and unwrap
My boss wants to be able to word wrap and unwrap using a type of "toggle" like when you CTL + X to cut and CTL + V to paste. Is there such a way to do this? "wrapping" is done at the cell format level. In 2007 you have a button on the Home tab to do this, in 2003 you will need to build a macro to toggle it. Mares wrote: > My boss wants to be able to word wrap and unwrap using a type of "toggle" > like when you CTL + X to cut and CTL + V to paste. Is there such a way to do > this? Thanks Bob. I've never written a macro. Can ...

Tab formatting within Publisher 2003 disappears when file is close
I do a lot of statistical reporting within a national newsletter that I produce. Most of it is in multiple column format that only allows one or two character spaces between columns. When I set tab stops at anything less than ..5" (e.g. .125"), the program accommodates me. However, when I save, close, and then reopen the file, all of the formatting disappears and the tab stops revert to .5". Once, I tried doing a few lines at time; saved them, reopened the file--they were still there. So, I continued working on the file. Later, when I reopened the file, all of the format...

Is Excel unreliable ?
Pressing F9 / Shift+F9 doesn't update my calculated cells reliably, i.e. it just doesn't do it or gives wrongs answers. The only way to get the right answers is to drag down the calculated cells again and then press F9 / Shift+F9. Before going into more detail I just wanted to know if I am encountering a common problem ? -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ I don't understand what you mean by 'drag down the calculated cell' Also could we see the particular formula that Excel is getting wrong. I'm not aware that ...

I need a formula #3
Hi, I need a formula to do this, I think some function may be used A1 : Mar- A2: Mar- How could A3 be: Mar-1/Mar- Thanks Hi LDH! It depends upon whether or not your settings are US or Non-US and whether you are using dates or text. If A1 and A2 are dates and you use non-US date settings: =TEXT(A1,"mmm-yy")&"/"&TEXT(A2,"mmm-yy") Not quite what you asked for: Mar-01/Mar-02 If A1 and A2 are dates and you use US date settings: =TEXT(A1,"mmm-d")&"/"&TEXT(A2,"mmm-d") If A1 and A2 are text: =A1&"/"&A...

Dead Email (.pst) file?
I posted this on the 24 hr helpdesk, too... but I thought maybe more specialized Outlook users might approach this differently... I have been running Outlook 2003 for years. My .pst file is up to about 700 megs in size. As of the last week it does not: a) accept new incoming mail (although I see it downloads it at the bottom right), b) allow me to delete anything (thought that might help it out a little), c) register an error on scanpst OR Ontrack's Easyrecovery OR chkdsk on the disk OR Norton Disk Doctor (on the same disk). The repair programs register errors after I've shutdown O...

Include pre-formatted files/pdf's in report
When sending out customer orders I today include an invoice and a packing list printed from MS-Access. However, I would like to add various information to the customer, such as technical information, promotions etc. These extra informations would be defined on each order, so what I am after is how to include these text fragments in the report print-out. Should this be done as images (jpegs/tiff's) or is it possible to use pdf documents? If the customer order for example contains a reference to the text fragments P017, TD061, B741, could I then get these three files printed out li...

Bizarre Excel Mystery!!
Please take a look at my screen shot: http://home.comcast.net/~jporpiglia/best-buy/best-buy-screen.gif Look at cells B6 and B7. They are both centered. The contents are identical lengths, yet the contents of one is to the left of the other. Why is it doing this?? this is driving me nuts!! Thanks for any help! Julie "Julie P." <jporpiglia@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:YNmdnc9yhNQa_xzfRVn-sQ@comcast.com... > Please take a look at my screen shot: > > http://home.comcast.net/~jporpiglia/best-buy/best-buy-screen.gif > > Look at cells B6 and B7. They a...

The file gdiplus.dll is incompatible with Microsoft Outlook. Install Outlook again.
Windows XP Professional SP2 plus MS updates - I am staying clear of SP3 Outlook 2007 SP1 all MS updates installed Hi all I have had this message crop up on two occasions. Outlook restarts OK but the reading pane is missing. Has anybody else had this error and is there a fix for it? TIA Big Dave "Big Dave" <dave@here.com> wrote in message news:efzEjCNoJHA.1184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Windows XP Professional SP2 plus MS updates - I am staying clear of SP3 > Outlook 2007 SP1 all MS updates installed GDI+ is a WIndows XP subsystem. It's the Graphics Device ...

How do I change default file location for Publoisher 2007?
MS Publisher does not seem to have an easy way for changing default file locations for saving work. If anyone has figured out how to do this, please share your secrete with the rest of us. Sincerely eephraim You can create a folder, when you *save as* look for the tools menu on the upper right, add this folder to *My Places*. You can use Favorite Links in Vista. It will be an extra click. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "eephraim" <eephraim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CE9FEDCA-CDE1-4BF8-9873-AF7C8937ED24@microsoft.com... > MS Publisher do...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

sum totals in excel
My excel sheet is set up with dollars and cents format account. I have used auto sum to total columns U6:U19. My formulas are in said columns. The excel total is less than the numbers in the columns when added up manually. I have tried entering round=(u6:u19) and I keep getting an error message in both the cells and sum total. How to I get the round feature and exactly how to I type in the formulas and auto sum? Thanks, SK try =ROUND(SUM(U6:U19),2) this will round to 2 decimal places -- Hope this is helpful Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked...

Excel XP
I am trying to import a text file into an Excel XP worksheet, every time I attempt this I get the error 'The file may be read only or I may be trying to access a read only location'. I can import the same text file to an Excel 2000 worksheet with no problems! Is there a security filter running somewhere in the background in Excel XP? Whats my problem? Can someone help!!! I've never seen this and don't know what causes it. But there was just a recent post that had the same problem. But their file was on a network drive. When it was copied to a local drive, the import w...

Save as .exe file
I've developed a program using Microsoft Excel 2003 with Visual Basic Editor. How can I save the program as .exe file so that a user doesn't have to open Microsoft Excel and VBE to execute the program? Any ideas? Thank you soo much I don't think your problem is as complicated as it seems, but I can't tell. You need to better explain what this program is supposed to do, and what you expect the user to do to initiate the running of the program. rixanna wrote: > I've developed a program using Microsoft Excel 2003 with Visual Basic > Editor. > How can I save th...