Vlookup within a vlookup

 I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found
in another table.
=VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2)

Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below.
Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your
choice in the drop down dox.

column f             column g
Alt A 30 Yr	         fixed30
Alt A 15 Yr	         fixed15

All I get is an error - can someone help ?
Thanks,
Yosef
0
ynissel (95)

It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula

http://tinyurl.com/czxtt

that thread shows the way to do it except for that the cell ref in that
thread represents a sheet name but it can be adapted to work with  a table
name

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"ynissel" wrote:

>  I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found
> in another table.
> =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2)
>
> Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below.
> Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your
> choice in the drop down dox.
>
> column f             column g
> Alt A 30 Yr	         fixed30
> Alt A 15 Yr	         fixed15
>
> All I get is an error - can someone help ?
> Thanks,
> Yosef
0
PeoSjoblom (789)
6/1/2005 4:34:06 PM
took me a bit - but this worked great !  thanks

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula
>
> http://tinyurl.com/czxtt
>
> that thread shows the way to do it except for that the cell ref in that
> thread represents a sheet name but it can be adapted to work with  a table
> name
>

> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "ynissel" wrote:
>
> >  I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found
> > in another table.
> > =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2)
> >
> > Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below.
> > Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your
> > choice in the drop down dox.
> >
> > column f             column g
> > Alt A 30 Yr	         fixed30
> > Alt A 15 Yr	         fixed15
> >
> > All I get is an error - can someone help ?
> > Thanks,
> > Yosef
0
ynissel (95)

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

Looking up data within a collumn
Hi, I am trying to look up data within a column by using a unique data within that same column. For Example, the data will be listed as shown: Column A Name1 Phone1 Address1 Name2 Phone2 Address2 Now I want to be able to just type a name in Collumn D, and have the phone number print out in Column C, and the address in Collumn E. Is there a way to do that? Column A won't be large, under 200, so load time is not a big concern. -- Demitre ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Demitre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

Tab formatting within Publisher 2003 disappears when file is close
I do a lot of statistical reporting within a national newsletter that I produce. Most of it is in multiple column format that only allows one or two character spaces between columns. When I set tab stops at anything less than ..5" (e.g. .125"), the program accommodates me. However, when I save, close, and then reopen the file, all of the formatting disappears and the tab stops revert to .5". Once, I tried doing a few lines at time; saved them, reopened the file--they were still there. So, I continued working on the file. Later, when I reopened the file, all of the format...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

Lost on Vlookup, match, etc....
Can someone walk me through this please? I a workbook that imports a years worth of data from filemaker to be analyzed and charted in excel. It contains several sheets, but I am concerned with worksheet 1 (daily data) and worksheet 2 (bodyweight). Daily data contains the raw data I pull in from Filemaker. It results in a table with a row for each day of the year. It has 12 columns, but in this instance, I am only interested in 2 of the colums Column F, (Date), and Column R (Bodyweight). There is only one entry per week for body weight. The bodyweight sheet has 3 columns (week #, date, and w...

Calling on a macro within a macro!

VLOOKUP in VBA

How do I highlight a word or sentence within Excel?
Is there a way to highlight certain words or sentences within Excel. I don't want to hightlight the entire cell 9I know how to do that, I just want to hightlight certain text. Thank you. You can select the words (or characters) in the formula bar, then use Format|cells to change some formatting. This won't work if the cell contains a formula or contains real numbers. It has to be text. cands wrote: > > Is there a way to highlight certain words or sentences within Excel. I don't > want to hightlight the entire cell 9I know how to do that, I just want to > hightli...

VLOOKUP problem
I down a list of top 100 stock symbols to Excel and place them in Column A and their rank in Column B (1-100). the next week I download a new list of the top 100 stock symbols and their rank to Column C and D respectively. then I create column E using the function =VLOOKUP(C4,A:B,2,FALSE) Which tels me the rank each stock had last week and if a stock is new this week it puts "#N/A" in the appropriate cell in column E. How do I get the Vlookup function to put "NEW" in column E if the is new to the list and wasn't in the list last week? Ed =if(isn...

Adding email addresses to contacts contained within an email message
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C3F079.723AEFC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Does anyone know of either a macro or utility that would update all = email recipients contained in the body of an email message to the = contacts? TIA, Alan ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C3F079.723AEFC0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

VLOOKUP #40
Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. Could you provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dr" <drivera@opvista.com> wrote in message news:1f1001c52c08$ad4c33a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. ...

Wrapping sheets within a workbook
I am working with raw data in Excel 2003 in a workbook where there are 3-5 sheets completely filled with data, all 65536 rows. There are duplicates scattered throughout the sheets. Is there a way I can link all the sheets together so that when I do a sort, it will sort all the rows on each sheet within the workbook? You would need a macro to do that. This is an example of a Merge Sort algorithm - you would need to sort each individual sheet, and then you could look at the topmost item in each sheet and decide which record should be written to a new sheet (and adjust a counter for the sh...

extracting totals from within a spreadsheet
I need to know how to take different information from within a spreadsheet --where two conditions/catogories must apply so that a third column where i have inputed hours, will total for those conditions only... can anyone help? Please spell out what you want we are not mind readers -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Jovetta" <Jovetta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91442C6D-03DF-4FC1-A069-AAB43FA57485@microsoft.com... >I need to know how to take different information from within a spreadsheet > --where two condi...

Sending mail within teh same domain
I have a Unix server that need to send mail to several users that mailboxes are located in Exchange 2003. Both these servers are in the same domain. When the Unix server tries to send mail to user@company.com it connects to exchange (which is the smart realy for the unix server) and proceeds to reformat the email address to user@exchangeserver.company.com. If I add the secondary address in the users account they can recieve the mail. Problem is that there are 500 users that I need to receive mail and I cannot create a global address in the default policy in exchange because it contains th...

combobox and vlookups?
I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu, the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is related to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I do to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code). Thanks. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You shouldn't need code for anything you described here. Set up the combobox with the list fill range, if any. Set the linked cell to the desired cell. Then, use the VLOOKUP command in another cell to look for the linked cell from the combo box to lo...

VLOOKUP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01CAC8EE.B1306170 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I use the VLOOKUP function to pull basic data from external data sheets, currently an example of my command looks like this: =VLOOKUP($A5,'[RT NP 67 MF.xls]ODD'!$A$1:$S$250,$L$1,FALSE) The "$AA%" is the data I am looking up and the "$L$1" is a variable to the column I am wishing to insert. The question I am trying to get an answer for concerns...

incorporate paste value in vlookup
is there a way to incorporate "paste value" in a vlookup formula ? I have the vlookups in the column working and feeding off of the multiple worksheets. the data will be updated weekly (and new columns with the updated data added) and i would rather just copy new data on top of the old in the worksheets instean of having to add new worksheets with new data... as to keep the previous column from changing. -- problem ...

vlookup inside an if statement?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi everybody! I have to do a vertical lookup of an object that might or might not exist, in case it doesnt exist normally it gives back Ref! but the thing is that if this objet doesnt appear on the data base is because is zero. This Ref! is not allowing me to make a sum since this objet is part of it. Maybe with an example would be easier to explain. i have to pull from a database the number of cars sold of three brands A,B, C, In the database unless is one car of the type it will not appear. lets say we hav...

Nested vlookup
My formula is: =((VLOOKUP($W$5181,Download!$A$1:$X$3403,3,FALSE))+(VLOOKUP($W$5182,Download!$A$1:$X$3403,3,FALSE)))*0.001 The formula looks up the value in "$W..."and returns the amount of orders. I alwayshave values for the first part of the lookup, but niot the second. THe issue is that if there nothing to report back for the second lookup, it gives me an "#NA" errror instead of at least returning the value for the first lookup. Any help? Thanks, TJ Wrap both Lookups in their own ISNA() wrapper to trap for that error:- =(IF(ISNA(VLookup1),0,VLookup1)+IF(ISNA(VL...

Display range name when a cell within the range is selected
How to display the name of a range when a single cell within that named range is selected. Kathy one way: This displays the named range(s) that the cell belongs to, if any, in the Status bar. Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module of your workbook. Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange( _ ByVal Sh As Object, _ ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Dim sRanges As String Dim nmName As Name Dim bInRng As Boolean On Error Resume Next For Each nmName In ThisWorkbook.Names Debug.Print nmName.Name, nmName.Re...

Service invoicing from within the crm package
I need the ablitiy to invoice from a service appointment. Ther is no way to bill for a service call that is not under contract this seems like it would have been a no brainer for the service piece.Thanks for reading and Please vote for this. Ken ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&q...

Vlookup?
I am trying to sum the cells in column "AY" for each row that has a positive value in column "S" I am very confused and this is what I have so far. Can you help me please? =SUM(VLOOKUP($S$3:$S$502>0,$S3:$AY502,33,FALSE)) Try =SUMIF(S3:S502,">0",AY3:AY502) Hope this helps, Hutch "Doug" wrote: > I am trying to sum the cells in column "AY" for each row that has a positive > value in column "S" > I am very confused and this is what I have so far. Can you help me please? > > =SUM(VLOOKUP($S...

Why #NA when using VLOOKUP?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C7C7AD.F7E2E420 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm trying to use VLOOKUP to find lowest value in a small group. The = exact sample is below: A B 1 3.0001 A=20 2 2.9442 B=20 3 2.9610 C=20 4 2.9055 D=20 5 2.9630 E=20 The formula I'm using is =3DVLOOKUP(MIN(A1:A5),A1:B5,1) . I'm trying to = get it to return the lowest cost, from column A. If I take out Row 4, = it wo...

VLookup in other document
Here is my problem. Please help I have two documents A and B. In document A I have a table existing of codes and descriptions Range A1: B100 Column A contains codes, Column B contains descriptions In document B I want to lookup the description for a given code. I have a cell C10 containing the code and a cell C11 containing a formula =VLOOKUP(A1;'K:\Douane\Regressie\[RTScenario.xls]FxP'!$A$1:$B200;2) Till so far it works !! But I use this formula many times in my excel sheet and in many Excel documents, so if Ithe lokation of document A changes, I have to change all the for...