Vlookup within a vlookup

 I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found
in another table.
=VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2)

Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below.
Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your
choice in the drop down dox.

column f             column g
Alt A 30 Yr	         fixed30
Alt A 15 Yr	         fixed15

All I get is an error - can someone help ?
Thanks,
Yosef
0
ynissel (95)

It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula

http://tinyurl.com/czxtt

that thread shows the way to do it except for that the cell ref in that
thread represents a sheet name but it can be adapted to work with  a table
name

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"ynissel" wrote:

>  I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found
> in another table.
> =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2)
>
> Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below.
> Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your
> choice in the drop down dox.
>
> column f             column g
> Alt A 30 Yr	         fixed30
> Alt A 15 Yr	         fixed15
>
> All I get is an error - can someone help ?
> Thanks,
> Yosef
0
PeoSjoblom (789)
6/1/2005 4:34:06 PM
took me a bit - but this worked great !  thanks

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula
>
> http://tinyurl.com/czxtt
>
> that thread shows the way to do it except for that the cell ref in that
> thread represents a sheet name but it can be adapted to work with  a table
> name
>

> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "ynissel" wrote:
>
> >  I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found
> > in another table.
> > =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2)
> >
> > Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below.
> > Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your
> > choice in the drop down dox.
> >
> > column f             column g
> > Alt A 30 Yr	         fixed30
> > Alt A 15 Yr	         fixed15
> >
> > All I get is an error - can someone help ?
> > Thanks,
> > Yosef
0
ynissel (95)

Exitin an application from within a Dll
Use PostMessage instead of SendMessage: AfxGetMainWnd()->PostMessage(WM_CLOSE); (Assuming this is not posted from a dll) On Feb 2, 2:51 pm, ".rhavin grobert" <c...@yahoo.de> wrote: > Use PostMessage instead of SendMessage: > > AfxGetMainWnd()->PostMessage(WM_CLOSE); > > (Assuming this is not posted from a dll) Whats so special about this being in a DLL? --- Ajay ...

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

Hyperlink within Database 2007
I am creating a rather extensive database in Access 2007 that is going to have many tables. To make this database user-friendly I want to create Hyperlinks that link to tables within the database. Here is a basic idea of what I want to do: In Table 1 I have a field with Location Identifiers the run from 01 to 31. I'd like to create hyperlinks in this feild. For example 01 represents Maryland. Pertinent info for Maryland is listed on Table 2. Is it possible to create a hyperlink on the field/row location for 01 to link the user to table 2? Any help on this woul...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

Adding to VLOOKUP table
I have a table to which I have added 2 further columns I have a formula which looks up colums 2 and 3 when I key data in column 1 =if(trim(a23)="","",vlookup(a23,scanner_table,2,0)) The new data I want to select is in column 5 so =if(trim(a24)="","",vlookup(a24,scanner_table,5,0)) to which I get the raspberry #REF I am sure this must be very basic but sometimes I can't see the wood for trees Any comments would be much appreciated. Hi Billy Have you extended the range definition for scanner_table to include the additional 2 columns? Regards R...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

Can't open Excel file from within Excel.
I just reinstalled Excel after a reformat. I cannot open a file or "save as" from within Excel. I can click on a file in Explorer, work on the file and save it. I posted here before and was advised that it might be the Nimda "worm" virus. I updated my Norton virus defintions and downloaded a program from Norton to rid the system of this virus. It found the virus and eliminated it. I uninstalled Office 2000 and reinstalled.....twice, but still have the same problem. Anyone have any other ideas?? Thanks!! ...

Pie within Pie chart
I need help in plotting pie within pie chart Canada- 82% US- 18% within Canada I have to show the division 82% within provinces Any help would be much appreciated ! Thanks, Lay out the data as: US 18% Province 1 xx% Province 2 yy% .... Now, create a pie chart (pie of pie). Double-click the pie, and from the options tab select 'Split series by position' and set the 'Second plot contains the last x values' so that x=number of items in table less 1. "vibha.sharma@fundserv.com" wrote: > I need help in plotting pie within pie chart &...

is my excel corrupt? VLOOKUP
I was having problems with a huge spreadsheet using VLOOKUP so I tried a small simple table and I'm getting some strange results can someone have a look here http://www.naldernet.plus.com/holding/vlookup.xls and explain why if you type "horn" at B14 does it return the result of B5 ? thanks in advance probably something really stupid I missed in the VLOOKUP formula -- Vass "Vass" <mark.nalder_TRAPTHESPAM_@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:EuqdnTraeqlpM3XfRVnyuw@eclipse.net.uk... > I was having problems with a huge spreadsheet using VLOOKUP > so I t...

EN_CHANGE not making it within a DLL
Hello, Like many, I needed to do custom treatment on a derived CEdit control via the EN_CHANGE notification. It worked fine until I moved this derived CEdit control in a DLL. Now, EN_CHANGE notifications don't make it to the control. I used Spy++ to see the difference between the CEdit derived control that resides within the DLL and another CEdit derived control that resides in the application itself. This did confirm that the dialog only sends EN_CHANGE and EN_UPDATE to the control defined in the application. Is this a known issue with reflection and DLLs? Thank you. >Like many, I...

fire event from within vbscript
Does anyone know how to invoke a fire event from within a vbscript? I can do it from within a javascript but this just exposes a bug in RMS and the screen will only refresh 60% of the time after execution. Any help appreciated! OK, I still don't know how to invoke a qsbridge fire event from within a vbscript but I was able to do it from javascript without having the transaction screen blank out. Enclose the fireevent function calls within a setTimeout (see below). I now have a Custom POS button that will allow you to select a customer by invoking a simple html script ("HTML Windo...

Memo Field needs to include field name within field.
I need to add a memo field into a report and I need to have the data preceded by Note:. I used the expression "Note:"&" "&[Note] and now it appears I have a text field not a memo field. What is the best fix for this? Can you not just have a label on the report that says Note:? -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "LMW" <LMW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06DF0584-90E9-4432-8CFE-F8FBE421AD77@microsoft.com... >I need to add a memo field into a report and I nee...

Lost on Vlookup, match, etc....
Can someone walk me through this please? I a workbook that imports a years worth of data from filemaker to be analyzed and charted in excel. It contains several sheets, but I am concerned with worksheet 1 (daily data) and worksheet 2 (bodyweight). Daily data contains the raw data I pull in from Filemaker. It results in a table with a row for each day of the year. It has 12 columns, but in this instance, I am only interested in 2 of the colums Column F, (Date), and Column R (Bodyweight). There is only one entry per week for body weight. The bodyweight sheet has 3 columns (week #, date, and w...

Calling on a macro within a macro!

VLOOKUP in VBA

I want that vlookup gets value once
I do not know how to express myself with my poor english but I have a case that vlookup getting value from another sheet which takes values from Internet (euro/usd rate). But I want vlookup gets the value once and not each time that workbook is opened. I am getting always the same rate for all records and I do not want this .. How to solve ? Please help Sheet1 : A1 A2 A3 RATE 01.Jan EUR 1,7 A3--> Formula:=VLOOKUP(A2;RATES!$E$10:$F$12;2;FALSE) 02.Jan EUR 1,7 03.Jan EUR 1,7 26.Jan EUR 1,7 Rate in Sheet RATES! is changing daily. I want th...

VLOOKUP problem
I down a list of top 100 stock symbols to Excel and place them in Column A and their rank in Column B (1-100). the next week I download a new list of the top 100 stock symbols and their rank to Column C and D respectively. then I create column E using the function =VLOOKUP(C4,A:B,2,FALSE) Which tels me the rank each stock had last week and if a stock is new this week it puts "#N/A" in the appropriate cell in column E. How do I get the Vlookup function to put "NEW" in column E if the is new to the list and wasn't in the list last week? Ed =if(isn...

VLOOKUP #40
Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. Could you provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dr" <drivera@opvista.com> wrote in message news:1f1001c52c08$ad4c33a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. ...

Wrapping sheets within a workbook
I am working with raw data in Excel 2003 in a workbook where there are 3-5 sheets completely filled with data, all 65536 rows. There are duplicates scattered throughout the sheets. Is there a way I can link all the sheets together so that when I do a sort, it will sort all the rows on each sheet within the workbook? You would need a macro to do that. This is an example of a Merge Sort algorithm - you would need to sort each individual sheet, and then you could look at the topmost item in each sheet and decide which record should be written to a new sheet (and adjust a counter for the sh...

how can i maintain bullet/alignment formatting within word fields?
i am trying to use bullets (or even insert bullet symbols and manually adjust alignment) within word fields, specifically within { IF....} fields. each time i save and reopen the document, the bullets and/or alignment are lost. is there any way to effectively preserve the formatting within these fields? thanks a lot! ...

VLOOKUP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01CAC8EE.B1306170 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I use the VLOOKUP function to pull basic data from external data sheets, currently an example of my command looks like this: =VLOOKUP($A5,'[RT NP 67 MF.xls]ODD'!$A$1:$S$250,$L$1,FALSE) The "$AA%" is the data I am looking up and the "$L$1" is a variable to the column I am wishing to insert. The question I am trying to get an answer for concerns...

Why #NA when using VLOOKUP?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C7C7AD.F7E2E420 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm trying to use VLOOKUP to find lowest value in a small group. The = exact sample is below: A B 1 3.0001 A=20 2 2.9442 B=20 3 2.9610 C=20 4 2.9055 D=20 5 2.9630 E=20 The formula I'm using is =3DVLOOKUP(MIN(A1:A5),A1:B5,1) . I'm trying to = get it to return the lowest cost, from column A. If I take out Row 4, = it wo...

VLookup in other document
Here is my problem. Please help I have two documents A and B. In document A I have a table existing of codes and descriptions Range A1: B100 Column A contains codes, Column B contains descriptions In document B I want to lookup the description for a given code. I have a cell C10 containing the code and a cell C11 containing a formula =VLOOKUP(A1;'K:\Douane\Regressie\[RTScenario.xls]FxP'!$A$1:$B200;2) Till so far it works !! But I use this formula many times in my excel sheet and in many Excel documents, so if Ithe lokation of document A changes, I have to change all the for...

*-- VLOOKUP --*
Hi, I would like some help with this issue. In my worksheet I have: A B C M1 N1 320 LIS 11040 333 LIS 320 OPO 12500 333 LIS 13000 1011 LIS 5000 Total (O1) = 13000 320 FNC 15900 1011 OPO 14000 333 OPO 12000 When I use M1 and N1 in my VLOOKUP I need O1 to give 13000, i.e, I need to join cols A+B in a VLOOKUP to get C. Should I use VLOOKUP, if so How? Thanks Hi, YOu can do this: =INDEX(ColumnC,MATCH(M1&N1...

Excel Slow When Opening Linked Files with VLOOKUP Functions with >
We had had a few instances of folks lately having problems with slow response opening their excel files from shortcuts on their desktops. When they originally open the files (maybe linked with 4 other files), but have VLOOKUP functions, it is extremely slow. They cannot click the menu or do anything for several minutes. We are on Windows 2000 SP4. In my testing, it only happens with excel shortcuts. Opening the file from favorites or opening the file from within excel works fine. They mentioned this started happening some time this year and are finally fed up with this.. These are ...