Vlookup for negative values?

Is it possible to have a VLOOKUP that lookis in a range for the first instance where the value goes negative?

I have an economic table and I want to have a summary cell indicate the value of a corresponding column cell when a certain column goes negative.
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi
one way:
=INDEX(A1:B100,MATCH(TRUE,(A1:A100)<0,0),2)
entered as array formula (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER)
will return the value form column B for the first instance of a
negative value in column A

HTH
Frank

FeDude wrote:
> Is it possible to have a VLOOKUP that lookis in a range for the first
> instance where the value goes negative?
>
> I have an economic table and I want to have a summary cell indicate
> the value of a corresponding column cell when a certain column goes
> negative.

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/3/2004 3:39:15 PM
Frank

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I cannot seem to get the MATCH function to work.  The logical operations you are performing are beyond me.  Here is my syntax

=MATCH(TRUE, 'Money Flow'!U40:U56<0, 0

It always returns NA.  Your comment about Cntrl+Shift+Enter is also confusing in your reply
0
anonymous (74722)
2/3/2004 4:21:16 PM
Here is my data:

A        B

3        A
2        B
1        C
0        D
-1       E
-2       F

Here is my MATCH Function:  =MATCH(TRUE, (A2:A7)<0, 0)
Here is my INDEX Function:  =INDEX(A2:B7,MATCH(TRUE,(A2:A7)<0,0),2)

Both return N/A

Any suggestions?
0
anonymous (74722)
2/3/2004 4:36:14 PM
You have to enter the formula with ctrl + shift & enter

select the cell where you want the formula, type in the formula,
don't enter the formula with enter, hold down ctrl and shift and then hit
enter.
If done correctly you'll get { } around the formula and a correct answer

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"FeDude" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is my data:
>
> A        B
>
> 3        A
> 2        B
> 1        C
> 0        D
> -1       E
> -2       F
>
> Here is my MATCH Function:  =MATCH(TRUE, (A2:A7)<0, 0)
> Here is my INDEX Function:  =INDEX(A2:B7,MATCH(TRUE,(A2:A7)<0,0),2)
>
> Both return N/A
>
> Any suggestions?

0
terre08 (1112)
2/3/2004 4:43:26 PM
Hi
quite simple :-)
just enter the formula as shown below. But instead of entering this
formula with the key 'ENTER' hit 'CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER' together. This will
create an array formula. as a result the formula will be preceded and
followed by a { and } bracket respectively

This should do it
Frank

FeDude wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I cannot seem to get the
> MATCH function to work.  The logical operations you are performing
> are beyond me.  Here is my syntax:
>
> =MATCH(TRUE, 'Money Flow'!U40:U56<0, 0)
>
> It always returns NA.  Your comment about Cntrl+Shift+Enter is also
> confusing in your reply

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/3/2004 4:43:50 PM
FeDude,
You need to enter the formulas as arrays.  To do this select the cell containing the formula, click in the formula bar at the top of the sheet (as if you were going to edit the formula), then press -Ctrl- -Shift- and -Enter- all at the same time (do not hit _eEnter- by itself).

Excel will know process this function as an array and you should get the result you are looking for.

For more information search on "Array Formulas" in Excel help.

Good Luck,
Mark Graesser
mark_graesser@yahoo.com

     ----- FeDude wrote: -----

     Here is my data:

     A        B

     3        A
     2        B
     1        C
     0        D
     -1       E
     -2       F

     Here is my MATCH Function:  =MATCH(TRUE, (A2:A7)<0, 0)
     Here is my INDEX Function:  =INDEX(A2:B7,MATCH(TRUE,(A2:A7)<0,0),2)

     Both return N/A

     Any suggestions?
0
anonymous (74722)
2/3/2004 4:46:08 PM
Nevermind...

I just read about teh Cntrl+Shift+Enter..

RTFM....

Thanks for all your help.  Excellent solution....
0
anonymous (74722)

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

#VALUE! #2
Can anyone answer this: When i paste in info from a web site, one of the columns contains numbers, yet when I try to refer to those numbers in formulas in other cells, it always comes up with the #VALUE! message, as though it were text in there, not numbers. Any ideas? Please refrain from multiposting, for a possible answer see your post in the worksheet.functions NG -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Cam" <kingsandmadmen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2c43601c39384$b28da7e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone answer this: When i paste in info from a web > site, one of...

how to plot ONE x-y curve of two datas with different x values?
I have this data: x: (1.1) (3.6) (6.0) (7.5) (9.2) ... y: (4.2) (5.6) (6.3) (9.4) (9.6) ... and this data: x: (2.3) (3.2) (5.4) (6.7) (7.2) ... y: (1.2) (2.4) (3.3) (6.4) (8.9) ... Now I want a x-y chart with a SINGLE smooth curve, showing the average result of these two datas. By average, I mean that, suppose I have two curves, I want a curve which is always in the middle of them. As you can see, my problem is that the x data is not very regular, and the x data of both datas usually do not coincide. Thanks! You need to create a single table of all your x values, and interpolate to find th...

change value with report
I have a report that has worked fine for years on my system. The query is based on one yes/no check mark on about 10 records every quarter but now it has 50 records. To much to change by hand. After I run the report I need to set this field to false and set a second field to true. Can someone tell me were to look to find a solution Thank You Stephen Use the report's Close event to run an update query that will reset those fields' values for you. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Stephen" <smile_inspector@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uwj1zWhiIH...

Newton Funds showing incorrect values
Previously it has been identified that there's a problem when downloading values for Newton Funds. The suggestion was that this wasn't unusual and would be corrected. However, it's still a problem and I wondered whether anyone knew when the correction was likely to happen! I'm using MONEY 2004 on Windows XP No, we don't know. It might be worth raising an UK MSN Money problem ticket so they know you're waiting on it, if you haven't already. (http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/322.aspx) -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org/ Check http:...

Mouse Move response based on combo box value
Hello, all. I have been asked to add a feature to an exiting form where a "note" will appear on mouse over only if a combo box of a continuous form is a particular value (i.e. Annual Safety Training). The main form is frmEmployees, the subform is subformClassesAttended. The combo box is Combo12, but it is displaying the text description (colmun 2) associated with a bound field of a number type, classID. I have a hidden label, lblInfo, with the info to be displayed but am not sure of the coding & whether I should be referencing the description in Combo12 or Class...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

Toggle switch between absolute and relative values creating a macr
Hello, Why is it that when creating a macro sometimes I see the toggle switch for absolute/relative values and sometimes I don't? Actually, I no longer see the toggle switch when recording a new macro. What do I have to do to make it reappear? Thank you. "Al" wrote: > Hello, > Why is it that when creating a macro sometimes I see the toggle switch for > absolute/relative values and sometimes I don't? Al Tools>Customize>Toolbars. Select "Stop Recording" toolbar>Close Stop Recording Toolbar should now be visible on sheet. Hit "X"...

Search for cell value
Is it possibly to look at cell value and if in a range to place the record # in a cell ? E.g. Value in A2 that I need to know if in a range "R1234JK-3" RANGE Record # Proj # Billing # Review # 1 R1234JK-3 KIKII-87 KL12367 2 RM334 12456 0089JK_9 Ce;; Value returned in A3 "1" which stands for record 1 I have interpreted this as follows; You have data such as Record # Proj # Billing # Review # 1 R1234JK-3 ...

Controling how zero values are plotted in charts
Can anybody advise me how to overcome the following: I am trying to create a chart whereby the source data is calculated from a formula. I do not want zero values to be plotted in the chart. I have tried the following, going to TOOLS, OPTIONS, CHARTS & then selecting 'plot empty cells as' = Not Plotted(leave gaps), but this does not overcome the problem. This function only seems to work when data is not related to a formula? I would be very grateful for any help that anybody can give Kind Regards Paul Paul: This is a very frequent question. You are half way to your answer. ...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

Lost on Vlookup, match, etc....
Can someone walk me through this please? I a workbook that imports a years worth of data from filemaker to be analyzed and charted in excel. It contains several sheets, but I am concerned with worksheet 1 (daily data) and worksheet 2 (bodyweight). Daily data contains the raw data I pull in from Filemaker. It results in a table with a row for each day of the year. It has 12 columns, but in this instance, I am only interested in 2 of the colums Column F, (Date), and Column R (Bodyweight). There is only one entry per week for body weight. The bodyweight sheet has 3 columns (week #, date, and w...

Trend Line constants as Excel Cell Values
I want to put the constants of a 2 degree polynomial trend line into Excel Cells. Are there formula's to do this? Equation is Y = Ax(2) + Bx + C. I want the value of A,B and C in seperate cells. Can anyone suggest how this can be done? Thanks -- Ken Hi Ken, Supposing your x-range is in A2:A10, and y-range in B2:B10, select a 3-column x 1-row area and enter the following formula and confirm with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. =LINEST(B2:B10,A2:A10^{0,1,2},0,) Regards, B. R. Ramachandran "Ken" wrote: > I want to put the constants of a 2 degree polynomial trend line into Excel &g...

Options reset to values of most recently opened workbook
I've noticed a behavior in Excel 2000 SP-2 on Windows 2000 Professional SP-3 and I'm not sure if it is an error, by design, or correctable by some option or setting I'm missing When I open multiple workbooks I've found that the options settings under Tools/Options for the most recently opened workbook apply to ALL open workbooks. It might be best to explain by a couple of examples 1. I normally have the "Windows in Taskbar" option checked so I can view each of my open workbooks as a separate item in the taskbar. I have all of my workbooks set up this way. If I r...

How do I sort worksheet without affecting formula values?
I have two worksheets, one of which has formulas which reference the other. The problem is, I cannot sort the first worksheet and have the formula values in the second worksheet follow it so the values stay the same. I have tried making them absolute references ($A$1) but it doesn't help. I feel your pain. I've ran into the same issue before. The problem is the use of worksheet functions. The solution is DO NOT USE worksheet functions. Use a VBA subroutine instead. Here is an example: With worksheet functions.... A B ...

VLOOKUP in VBA

Scatter Chart with non-numeric values on X axis
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to create a scatter chart (graph) wit words for the x axis. I'm trying to setup a graph showing availabilit of servers, so for the Y axis I want to show a percentage (betwee 1-100%), and for the X axis, I want to show the name of the servic (mail, news, etc). However, it seems that with a scatter chart I ca only do numeric values on both axis. Is there any way around this? Thx -- penas ----------------------------------------------------------------------- penasm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1583 View...

VLOOKUP problem
I down a list of top 100 stock symbols to Excel and place them in Column A and their rank in Column B (1-100). the next week I download a new list of the top 100 stock symbols and their rank to Column C and D respectively. then I create column E using the function =VLOOKUP(C4,A:B,2,FALSE) Which tels me the rank each stock had last week and if a stock is new this week it puts "#N/A" in the appropriate cell in column E. How do I get the Vlookup function to put "NEW" in column E if the is new to the list and wasn't in the list last week? Ed =if(isn...

Negative WIP Totals in GP 7.5
I've got an odd problem in GP 7.5. The WIP totals I get from the MOP1000 table are, in some cases, greater than the amount issued. In most of these cases, the qty issued is zero (there are some cases where qtyissued is greater than 0). In a lot of these cases, the MOP1210 table has the items listed as issued to the MO. I've been able to confirm this on a number of the entries in MOP1000. It looks to me like GP is not updating the table properly. Has anyone see this before? Does anyone have a process for reconciling this data? MOP1000 is the WIP stack. MOP1210 is the PickD...

using VBA to retrieve values to ComboBox
i am trying to retrieve a range of data (the stock code of different phones) from worksheet("Inventory") based on the name of the branches of where the phones are stored. worksheet("Inventory") has branch (Column A) and stock code (Column B) i have 2 combobox. combobox1 contains values (name of branches) such as: 1-BS 2-EN 3-HG 4-JE 5-SP 6-TB 7-WS 8-YT combobox2 will have to retrieve values from the worksheet("Inventory") based on the value in combobox1. the values in combobox1 can be found in column 1 while the values i need for combobox...

Making a worksheet and a graph that doesn't show zero values
Hi I am trying to build a template worksheet for my research. I get a file of logged data per day. I want to be able to copy the logged data from a .CSV file to a template file. Then separate worksheets will look at the raw data and import data from certain columns into that worksheet. The data is not logged in a regular way, there can be 30 cells between logging intervals or 29 or 31 cells. I can select that every cell in a column of Worksheet 1 looks at a set cell in the "Raw Data" worksheet. This will then give me a column consisting of logged data values with zeroes ...

VLOOKUP #40
Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. Could you provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dr" <drivera@opvista.com> wrote in message news:1f1001c52c08$ad4c33a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. ...

combobox and vlookups?
I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu, the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is related to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I do to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code). Thanks. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You shouldn't need code for anything you described here. Set up the combobox with the list fill range, if any. Set the linked cell to the desired cell. Then, use the VLOOKUP command in another cell to look for the linked cell from the combo box to lo...

VLOOKUP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01CAC8EE.B1306170 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I use the VLOOKUP function to pull basic data from external data sheets, currently an example of my command looks like this: =VLOOKUP($A5,'[RT NP 67 MF.xls]ODD'!$A$1:$S$250,$L$1,FALSE) The "$AA%" is the data I am looking up and the "$L$1" is a variable to the column I am wishing to insert. The question I am trying to get an answer for concerns...

Collecting Range Name values to VBA
I have a worksheet "Setup" where users type in a date in a cell named "ChtDte" and a path and database name in a cell named "FLName". I am using DOA to connect to a database and return a record set. The query used "qryCOCostwRates" uses a date paramater. Because this sheet will be used by several users all pointing to the database in different locations, I need to know where they have the database. I need to get the values in these two range names in the setup tab of the spreadsheet so I can connect to the data, and provide a value for ...