VLOOKUP #45

I am running a vlookup for part #'s at my company. The table that I have may 
sometimes contain the same part numbers multiple times. I want my vlookup to 
look at all of the same part number and give me a total of the column that 
I'm looking in. For example

PART #                 QUANTITY
15300001                100
15906231                52
15308526                78 
15300001                69

Now when I do a lookup on a separate worksheet underneath the part number 
15300001 I want my quantity to show 169. 

Is this possible?...Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Travis Dahlman
0
Dahlman (27)
6/2/2005 6:43:10 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

7 Replies
691 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 29

you have to sum the data first to use VLOOKUP
OR try using the SUMIF function.
it will let you do what you want. (*** There's several ...IF functions, 
countif, sumif, etc..)



"Dahlman" wrote:

> I am running a vlookup for part #'s at my company. The table that I have may 
> sometimes contain the same part numbers multiple times. I want my vlookup to 
> look at all of the same part number and give me a total of the column that 
> I'm looking in. For example
> 
> PART #                 QUANTITY
> 15300001                100
> 15906231                52
> 15308526                78 
> 15300001                69
> 
> Now when I do a lookup on a separate worksheet underneath the part number 
> 15300001 I want my quantity to show 169. 
> 
> Is this possible?...Please help.
> 
> Thanks in advance.
> 
> Travis Dahlman
0
TomHinkle (87)
6/2/2005 6:46:01 PM
You may want to consider using a pivot table to sum up the totals.   

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm

"Dahlman" wrote:

> I am running a vlookup for part #'s at my company. The table that I have may 
> sometimes contain the same part numbers multiple times. I want my vlookup to 
> look at all of the same part number and give me a total of the column that 
> I'm looking in. For example
> 
> PART #                 QUANTITY
> 15300001                100
> 15906231                52
> 15308526                78 
> 15300001                69
> 
> Now when I do a lookup on a separate worksheet underneath the part number 
> 15300001 I want my quantity to show 169. 
> 
> Is this possible?...Please help.
> 
> Thanks in advance.
> 
> Travis Dahlman
0
BarbR (262)
6/2/2005 6:47:25 PM
Currently my formula is as follows: =VLOOKUP(B5,RELEASE3!B4:G1242,6,0)
"RELEASE" is the name of the worksheet that my datarange is in. Can you 
explain how i would use a sumif statement with this.....or if it's totally 
different let me know too. I don't quite understand how to incorporate that 
in with my VLOOKUP. I've never had to do that before. Thanks again

Travis Dahlman

"Dahlman" wrote:

> I am running a vlookup for part #'s at my company. The table that I have may 
> sometimes contain the same part numbers multiple times. I want my vlookup to 
> look at all of the same part number and give me a total of the column that 
> I'm looking in. For example
> 
> PART #                 QUANTITY
> 15300001                100
> 15906231                52
> 15308526                78 
> 15300001                69
> 
> Now when I do a lookup on a separate worksheet underneath the part number 
> 15300001 I want my quantity to show 169. 
> 
> Is this possible?...Please help.
> 
> Thanks in advance.
> 
> Travis Dahlman
0
Dahlman (27)
6/2/2005 7:18:05 PM
you use the sumIF instead of the vlookup..
it's syntax is : Sumif(range,criteria,sumrange)
so I THINK it would be like this

= sumif(RELEASE3!$B$4:$G:$1242,B5,6)

range is the range of cells to analyze, ASSUMING the first column is the one 
you are going to compare to criteria.


"Dahlman" wrote:

> Currently my formula is as follows: =VLOOKUP(B5,RELEASE3!B4:G1242,6,0)
> "RELEASE" is the name of the worksheet that my datarange is in. Can you 
> explain how i would use a sumif statement with this.....or if it's totally 
> different let me know too. I don't quite understand how to incorporate that 
> in with my VLOOKUP. I've never had to do that before. Thanks again
> 
> Travis Dahlman
> 
> "Dahlman" wrote:
> 
> > I am running a vlookup for part #'s at my company. The table that I have may 
> > sometimes contain the same part numbers multiple times. I want my vlookup to 
> > look at all of the same part number and give me a total of the column that 
> > I'm looking in. For example
> > 
> > PART #                 QUANTITY
> > 15300001                100
> > 15906231                52
> > 15308526                78 
> > 15300001                69
> > 
> > Now when I do a lookup on a separate worksheet underneath the part number 
> > 15300001 I want my quantity to show 169. 
> > 
> > Is this possible?...Please help.
> > 
> > Thanks in advance.
> > 
> > Travis Dahlman
0
TomHinkle (87)
6/2/2005 7:52:01 PM
It tells me that this is an incorrect formula. If you look at it again do you 
any mistakes you may have made in typing it? I thought that maybe it shoudl 
be 
=Sumif(RELEASE3!$B$4:$G$1242,B5,6) but that still didn't work. I"m going to 
continue my research on how to format a sumif formula but if you can think of 
anything then please let me know. Thanks

Travis dahlman


"TomHinkle" wrote:

> you use the sumIF instead of the vlookup..
> it's syntax is : Sumif(range,criteria,sumrange)
> so I THINK it would be like this
> 
> = sumif(RELEASE3!$B$4:$G:$1242,B5,6)
> 
> range is the range of cells to analyze, ASSUMING the first column is the one 
> you are going to compare to criteria.
> 
> 
> "Dahlman" wrote:
> 
> > Currently my formula is as follows: =VLOOKUP(B5,RELEASE3!B4:G1242,6,0)
> > "RELEASE" is the name of the worksheet that my datarange is in. Can you 
> > explain how i would use a sumif statement with this.....or if it's totally 
> > different let me know too. I don't quite understand how to incorporate that 
> > in with my VLOOKUP. I've never had to do that before. Thanks again
> > 
> > Travis Dahlman
> > 
> > "Dahlman" wrote:
> > 
> > > I am running a vlookup for part #'s at my company. The table that I have may 
> > > sometimes contain the same part numbers multiple times. I want my vlookup to 
> > > look at all of the same part number and give me a total of the column that 
> > > I'm looking in. For example
> > > 
> > > PART #                 QUANTITY
> > > 15300001                100
> > > 15906231                52
> > > 15308526                78 
> > > 15300001                69
> > > 
> > > Now when I do a lookup on a separate worksheet underneath the part number 
> > > 15300001 I want my quantity to show 169. 
> > > 
> > > Is this possible?...Please help.
> > > 
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > > 
> > > Travis Dahlman
0
Dahlman (27)
6/2/2005 8:27:34 PM
Hi,
Try
=SUMIF(RELEASE3!Part#range,Part#,RELEASE3!Quantityrange)
where Part#range and Quantityrange are the column-ranges for Part# and 
Quantity , and Part# is cell-address for the part you want to find the total 
quantity for.  The formmula goes into the cell that would show the answer.  
When i tried using the example data you have given, the answer came up 
correctly as 169.
Regards,
B.R.Ramachandran

"Dahlman" wrote:

> It tells me that this is an incorrect formula. If you look at it again do you 
> any mistakes you may have made in typing it? I thought that maybe it shoudl 
> be 
> =Sumif(RELEASE3!$B$4:$G$1242,B5,6) but that still didn't work. I"m going to 
> continue my research on how to format a sumif formula but if you can think of 
> anything then please let me know. Thanks
> 
> Travis dahlman
> 
> 
> "TomHinkle" wrote:
> 
> > you use the sumIF instead of the vlookup..
> > it's syntax is : Sumif(range,criteria,sumrange)
> > so I THINK it would be like this
> > 
> > = sumif(RELEASE3!$B$4:$G:$1242,B5,6)
> > 
> > range is the range of cells to analyze, ASSUMING the first column is the one 
> > you are going to compare to criteria.
> > 
> > 
> > "Dahlman" wrote:
> > 
> > > Currently my formula is as follows: =VLOOKUP(B5,RELEASE3!B4:G1242,6,0)
> > > "RELEASE" is the name of the worksheet that my datarange is in. Can you 
> > > explain how i would use a sumif statement with this.....or if it's totally 
> > > different let me know too. I don't quite understand how to incorporate that 
> > > in with my VLOOKUP. I've never had to do that before. Thanks again
> > > 
> > > Travis Dahlman
> > > 
> > > "Dahlman" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > I am running a vlookup for part #'s at my company. The table that I have may 
> > > > sometimes contain the same part numbers multiple times. I want my vlookup to 
> > > > look at all of the same part number and give me a total of the column that 
> > > > I'm looking in. For example
> > > > 
> > > > PART #                 QUANTITY
> > > > 15300001                100
> > > > 15906231                52
> > > > 15308526                78 
> > > > 15300001                69
> > > > 
> > > > Now when I do a lookup on a separate worksheet underneath the part number 
> > > > 15300001 I want my quantity to show 169. 
> > > > 
> > > > Is this possible?...Please help.
> > > > 
> > > > Thanks in advance.
> > > > 
> > > > Travis Dahlman
0
6/3/2005 1:56:02 AM
Thank you all very much. Everyone helped a lot. I appreciate it. 

Travis Dahlman
0
Dahlman (27)
6/3/2005 12:15:06 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

using a date in vlookup
i want to perform a vlookup using the Now() function to generate the lookup value (A1), the 1st column in the table [col B] array will be all the dates in a year listed consequtive,, and the 2nd column being a value assigned to each day in the 1st column [B]. My formula is vlookup(A1,B1:C367,2). The result I get is "#N/A. What am i doing wrong? Thanks Tonso NOW() returns both the date and the time, so you would be better off using TODAY(), which only returns the date. Another problem might be that your dates in column B are really text values that just look like dates - see what happe...

vlookup excel and access...
assuming i have this code, is possible to use this vlookup withnthe adta into mdb access?... old scenario: Private Sub TextBox25_Change() Dim CODICE As Integer Select Case Me.TextBox25 Case "" Me.TextBox4 = "" Case 1 To 8 CODICE = Val(Me.TextBox25) Me.TextBox4 = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup _ (CODICE, Worksheets("TABELLA").Range("Q2:R9"), 2, False) Case Else Call MULTI_LINE_BOX End Select End Sub new scenario: Inested column Q and R in excel i have created a mdb into: \\my server\myserverdir\USER.MDB and into this mdb have inserte a table U...

Vlookup within a vlookup
I am trying to lookup a cell within a table - but the table to use is found in another table. =VLOOKUP(B3,VLOOKUP(B2,F3:G9,2,2),2) Cell B2 is a dropdown box allowing one of the choices in colum f below. Column G represents which table to use for the initial lookup based on your choice in the drop down dox. column f column g Alt A 30 Yr fixed30 Alt A 15 Yr fixed15 All I get is an error - can someone help ? Thanks, Yosef It sounds like you would need to use INDIRECT within the lookup formula http://tinyurl.com/czxtt that thread shows the way to do it exce...

Lost on Vlookup, match, etc....
Can someone walk me through this please? I a workbook that imports a years worth of data from filemaker to be analyzed and charted in excel. It contains several sheets, but I am concerned with worksheet 1 (daily data) and worksheet 2 (bodyweight). Daily data contains the raw data I pull in from Filemaker. It results in a table with a row for each day of the year. It has 12 columns, but in this instance, I am only interested in 2 of the colums Column F, (Date), and Column R (Bodyweight). There is only one entry per week for body weight. The bodyweight sheet has 3 columns (week #, date, and w...

VLOOKUP in VBA
On the worksheet I can insert in a cell =VLOOKUP(C5, Hobokee.xls!AcsLow, 2) and it works perfectly, looks up the value in column 2 of the range named AcsLow in the same workbook. But elswhere I want in a macro to lookup the same table and assign the result to a variable BalAmt. BalAmt = VLOOKUP(AccNum, Hobokee.xls!AcsLow, 2) does not work. It gives a function not defined error on Hobokee. If instead of Hobokee I put Workbooks("Hobokee"), it gives function not defined error for VLOOKUP which it changes to VLookup. I have been overVLOOKUP in the Help file and see nothing wrong. W...

VLOOKUP problem
I down a list of top 100 stock symbols to Excel and place them in Column A and their rank in Column B (1-100). the next week I download a new list of the top 100 stock symbols and their rank to Column C and D respectively. then I create column E using the function =VLOOKUP(C4,A:B,2,FALSE) Which tels me the rank each stock had last week and if a stock is new this week it puts "#N/A" in the appropriate cell in column E. How do I get the Vlookup function to put "NEW" in column E if the is new to the list and wasn't in the list last week? Ed =if(isn...

VLOOKUP #40
Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. Could you provide a few more details about what exactly you want to do. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dr" <drivera@opvista.com> wrote in message news:1f1001c52c08$ad4c33a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Would like to post data from one worksheet to another. ...

combobox and vlookups?
I am trying to add a combobox that when you select from the dropdown menu, the columns nextdoor automatically pull up corresponding data that is related to the selection from the dropdown list. Does this make sense? What do I do to set this whole thing up? (I don't know code). Thanks. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You shouldn't need code for anything you described here. Set up the combobox with the list fill range, if any. Set the linked cell to the desired cell. Then, use the VLOOKUP command in another cell to look for the linked cell from the combo box to lo...

VLOOKUP
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01CAC8EE.B1306170 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, I use the VLOOKUP function to pull basic data from external data sheets, currently an example of my command looks like this: =VLOOKUP($A5,'[RT NP 67 MF.xls]ODD'!$A$1:$S$250,$L$1,FALSE) The "$AA%" is the data I am looking up and the "$L$1" is a variable to the column I am wishing to insert. The question I am trying to get an answer for concerns...

incorporate paste value in vlookup
is there a way to incorporate "paste value" in a vlookup formula ? I have the vlookups in the column working and feeding off of the multiple worksheets. the data will be updated weekly (and new columns with the updated data added) and i would rather just copy new data on top of the old in the worksheets instean of having to add new worksheets with new data... as to keep the previous column from changing. -- problem ...

vlookup inside an if statement?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi everybody! I have to do a vertical lookup of an object that might or might not exist, in case it doesnt exist normally it gives back Ref! but the thing is that if this objet doesnt appear on the data base is because is zero. This Ref! is not allowing me to make a sum since this objet is part of it. Maybe with an example would be easier to explain. i have to pull from a database the number of cars sold of three brands A,B, C, In the database unless is one car of the type it will not appear. lets say we hav...

Nested vlookup
My formula is: =((VLOOKUP($W$5181,Download!$A$1:$X$3403,3,FALSE))+(VLOOKUP($W$5182,Download!$A$1:$X$3403,3,FALSE)))*0.001 The formula looks up the value in "$W..."and returns the amount of orders. I alwayshave values for the first part of the lookup, but niot the second. THe issue is that if there nothing to report back for the second lookup, it gives me an "#NA" errror instead of at least returning the value for the first lookup. Any help? Thanks, TJ Wrap both Lookups in their own ISNA() wrapper to trap for that error:- =(IF(ISNA(VLookup1),0,VLookup1)+IF(ISNA(VL...

Vlookup?
I am trying to sum the cells in column "AY" for each row that has a positive value in column "S" I am very confused and this is what I have so far. Can you help me please? =SUM(VLOOKUP($S$3:$S$502>0,$S3:$AY502,33,FALSE)) Try =SUMIF(S3:S502,">0",AY3:AY502) Hope this helps, Hutch "Doug" wrote: > I am trying to sum the cells in column "AY" for each row that has a positive > value in column "S" > I am very confused and this is what I have so far. Can you help me please? > > =SUM(VLOOKUP($S...

Why #NA when using VLOOKUP?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C7C7AD.F7E2E420 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm trying to use VLOOKUP to find lowest value in a small group. The = exact sample is below: A B 1 3.0001 A=20 2 2.9442 B=20 3 2.9610 C=20 4 2.9055 D=20 5 2.9630 E=20 The formula I'm using is =3DVLOOKUP(MIN(A1:A5),A1:B5,1) . I'm trying to = get it to return the lowest cost, from column A. If I take out Row 4, = it wo...

VLookup in other document
Here is my problem. Please help I have two documents A and B. In document A I have a table existing of codes and descriptions Range A1: B100 Column A contains codes, Column B contains descriptions In document B I want to lookup the description for a given code. I have a cell C10 containing the code and a cell C11 containing a formula =VLOOKUP(A1;'K:\Douane\Regressie\[RTScenario.xls]FxP'!$A$1:$B200;2) Till so far it works !! But I use this formula many times in my excel sheet and in many Excel documents, so if Ithe lokation of document A changes, I have to change all the for...

Multi-currency posting journal
Hi, One of our consultants has reported the following error from a customer site. Posting receivables batch - when processing multi-currency posting journal, received error message An error occurred creating a pass through SQL connection 75. Anyone come across this before? (This is version 10) Regards Jean -- JB Hi JB, Is this happening everytime they post an RM batch and prints the MC RM posting journal? Is the posting process completed? You can tell whether this case is report related (issue with modified report only), by way of testing, configure the posting setup for this series-...

#N/A error with VLOOKUP
My VLOOKUP was working fine, but now I have added some text boxes and pictures around the sheet itself. I have allowed for the extra column, but the VLOOKUP isn't working anymore. Does it not like pictures? I haven't included these in the area it is looking at, so it shouldn't get confused. Unlike me... -- Michelle Tucker Hi Michelle the #NA error can occur when the VLOOKUP has nothing to lookup ... so my first suggestion would be to check that the VLOOKUP is still referencing the correct cells in your workbook. if that doesn't help, please post your exact VLOOKUP sta...

Vlookup no working
I have only 2 worksheets in column A is the item # which sometimes has a letter associated with it as in 815NB in column B is the desctiption. This formula works fine when the cell only contains a number but will not including the letter. I can manually retype the cell info and the formula will find it even with the letter association. Worksheet 1 has 14000 rows and Worksheet 2 has 3000 rows, so I only need some of the information from the 1st worksheet. The formula I'm using is =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2, FALSE)), "", VLOOKUP(A1,LKF!A:B,2, FALSE)) Sorry for the length. I ...

VLOOKUP and multiple rows ?
I have two worksheets: #1 contains client numbers and data. client no. data 1 xyz 2 abc 3 def 4 wed #2 contains client numbers and the employees attached to the client. client no employee 1 joe 1 tom 2 jim 3 ann **Here's my problem! Is there a way to do a lookup on spreadsheet # 1 to bring in the employee data from spreadsheet #2 (a normal VLOOKUP) and if there are mutiple employees to either concatenate the data-> client no employee 1 joe,tom or put it...

VLookup?????
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(B2,'TableB'!$Y$2:$Y$100,1,FALSE)), "",Column A in tableB) This is the code i have. I want to search tru all column B in table A. If i find an identical value in table B i want the field in table A to show the corresponding field in Column A in table B. Also if there is 2 occurences of column B in table B, i want the field in table A to show both values. Any ideas? (if u can understand what im asking) -- Hazy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hazy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=g...

VLOOKUP
Hi All I have the following formula: =IF($D$9="","",VLOOKUP($D$9,List!$A$1:$G$500,7,FALSE)) which works fine. Problem: How do I stop the value *0* displaying, if there is no data in worksheet List! column 7 ? Many thanks George George, =IF($D$9="","",IF(VLOOKUP($D$9,List!$A$1:$G$500,7,FALSE)=0;"";VLOOKUP($D$9,L ist!$A$1:$G$500,7,FALSE)) -- Regards, Auk Ales * Please reply to this newsgroup only * * I will not react on unsolicited e-mails * "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message news:Otk8AZ4$DHA.1...

Vlookup and multiple data
this is in my 1st work sheet (a1) 500 (b1)Bob (c1)Yes (d1)hants (A2) 500 (b2)Dave (c2)No (d2)surrey (A3) 500 (b3)Rob (c3)Yes (d3)york this is the formula i am using in the next worksheet for a drop down list =IF(VLOOKUP(C8,PowerGate!A3:$L$100,3,FALSE)=0,"",VLOOKUP(C8,PowerGate!A3:$L$100,3,FALSE)) It will show the 500 seperately but what i would like to do is when you select the 500 is to have all of the information for 500 shown in the next sheet.I don't want to have to select it individually. Hope this makes sense. Do you want the data for all rows wit...

vlookup?
Hello and thanks for looking at my project. I would like to create a form on sheet 2 getting data from sheet1 and I am using vlookup but I can only get 1 row. The first column (A) of my data range is Team Name The 2nd column (B) is Player and each column after that has some sort of stat. There are 150 rows of names and 10 Team names and all sorted by Player. The first sheet must remain sorted by Player. On sheet2 in cell A1 I would type the name of the team that I would like stats on. Row 2 cell A2 would start with player, B2 C2 D2 and so on would have stats all from sheet1. Vlookup did great ...

vlookup probs
hello I want to put in a vlookup formula so that i can change a referance number in a cell and it will give me the relavent information ie 3000 will refer to bill 3002 will be harry etc. The formula i have put in is :- =VLOOKUP(D3,data,3) where d3 is the cell with the numbers i want to change to get different information. So ideally it will look for the value i type in d3 in the range i have called data and give me the value in column 3 on the same row within the data field. I hope i have explained clearly. thanks jim I should add that data is on sheet 1 of the workbook, i think this is w...

VLOOKUP #45
I am running a vlookup for part #'s at my company. The table that I have may sometimes contain the same part numbers multiple times. I want my vlookup to look at all of the same part number and give me a total of the column that I'm looking in. For example PART # QUANTITY 15300001 100 15906231 52 15308526 78 15300001 69 Now when I do a lookup on a separate worksheet underneath the part number 15300001 I want my quantity to show 169. Is this possible?...Please help. Thanks in advance. Travis Dahlman ...