virus scanner is preventing files from opening

After installation of the Symantec Antivirus client on
two XP machines running Office 2003, both systems will
not load Excell files -- even ones created, then saved!

The information I get is that the virus scanner has
detected a problem with a file.

What can I do to resolve this??

0
jmorgus (1)

To check whether the problem is corruption of the files or not, you could
switch off (functions of) the virrusscanner and then open your file.   But
only ofcourse if you are sure that the virusscanner isn't right.

--
Regards,
Auk  Ales

* Please reply to this newsgroup only *
* I will not react on unsolicited e-mails *

"John Morgus" <jmorgus@betterguys.com> wrote in message
> After installation of the Symantec Antivirus client on
> two XP machines running Office 2003, both systems will
> not load Excell files -- even ones created, then saved!
>
> The information I get is that the virus scanner has
> detected a problem with a file.
>
> What can I do to resolve this??

This file cannot be previewed because of an error
When I go to open a file in Word 2007, I cannot preview any Word document in the preview pane. The error is: "This file cannot be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Word previewer". This function will work if I start Word with the /a switch (winword /a). I ran diagnostics and all was fine. This is a clean install on Windows 7 and Office 2007. I am seeing some issues out there but no definite fixes. I have only a PDF as an add-in and disabling it does no good. Microsoft...what's the deal?? David It's broken in Word 2007 and has never been...

How do i change from a .pub file to a .doc file
Hi , I am new to Office publisher 2007. I have sent an attachment in an e-mail as a .pub, but they cannot open it. How can I change the format in which these documents are saved? Please note, I am not a technology buff. Plain english please. You can send as a PDF. Most folks have the Reader. If you don't care about losing format, you can save as a Word document. Expand the *Files of Type* when you are ready to save your publication. There is an add-in that you can download for Office 2007 Download details 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS https://www.mi...

Outlook 2000 Opening two sessions of IE
When I try to use a link in an e-mail it opens an empty session of IE and then opens up another session to the link, WHY? ...

Exchange 2003 Page File
I am trying to find the best practices for setting up page files on Exchange 2003. I have read things like memory x 1.5 or memory x 2 or even higher. I have read about putting the pagefiles in multiple directories on the same physical drive (there is a technet article on this) - but nothing that pulls it all together. Like a mailbox server with 4 gB ram. Mirrored C: (OS) Mirrored D: (logs) RAID E: (data) - where would I put the page fiels, and how many woudl I create? Do we ever let the system manage the page file? Would the same thing happen on a bridgehead or public folder server? Ho...

Limit the size of a users pst file
How can i limit the size of a users pst file. I want them to be able to burn it to CD Thanks in advance Karen I don't believe you can limit it. Karen wrote: > How can i limit the size of a users pst file. I want them > to be able to burn it to CD > > Thanks in advance > Karen Karen <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How can i limit the size of a users pst file. I want them > to be able to burn it to CD Ask them to keep it below 600 Mb and if it's larger, to split it into multiple PSTs, each of which is below 600 Mb. -- Brian Tillman Smi...

Viruses
I heard that Outlook is not really as risky as one would think about getting a virus attack and that Outlook Express is what is usally attacked. Is there any truth to that? Can anyone share any experiences they have had with virus attacks and Outlook? Please tell us your version number too. Thanks These two articles will give you a clue as to which versions of Outlook are most at-risk. Short version: if you use a current version and have all updates installed, you are quite safe from everything except your own stupidity. http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2005/up050120.htm#preview http...

can't prevent a flash file from being cached
I've spent the whole day trying to get IE8 to reload a page to display dynamic content in a flash slide-show. nothing I've tried prevents the page from being refreshed from the cache. all the other browsers I've tried are working properly (firefox, chrome, opera and safari). here are some of the things I've tried in the page <head> <meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="no-cache"/> <meta http-equiv="Expires" content="Thu, 01 Jan 2009 08:00:00 GMT" /> in my .htaccess file (for my local apache...

How do I open a .pub file without publisher?
You don't. Not possible. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] www.publishermvps.com www.davidbartosik.com "Amelia" <Amelia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D62EC10-AADF-44FD-A702-D084B5B5C42E@microsoft.com... > --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.776 / Virus Database: 523 - Release Date: 10/12/2004 Any one of the following options will work. Get and install Publisher. Send it to someone who will convert it to a pdf file. This assumes you have Acrobat Reader, if no...

Unable to Read File #2
I cut and paste another part of the file to an existing excel file, When open the file again, the page is blank and a dialog box states: "Unable to open file". I saved my work every step of the way. I made a backup copy and have tried it several times. Each time the dialog box states : Unable to read file. What is the problem? Are you by any chance running XL97 or XL2K, and within the range that is being cut and pasted have any references to names that use formulas such as GET.WORKBOOK etc? I would have expected it to crash Excel if you do, but worth asking the qu...

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

Recurring emails from the same spammer prevents Outlook Express from receiving emails.
Recurring email with different content in the body but all from the same spammer prevents Outlook Express from receiving emails. All other emails begin to flow but when it reaches an email from this specific spammer the following error is generated by outlook express. No more email will flow until this spammers message is manually removed from the user mailbox. I have about 10 emails in a separate folder from the same spammer and moving any one of them into an inbox will stop a flow of email to a pop3 client dead. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for thi...

File access error in Excel
I just started having a weird problem in Excel. I go to save a file that I recently opened and updated, and I get an error message that access to the file is denied for a file sharing error. If I save the file to another file name, and then immediately "save as" back to the original name, it works fine. I tried uninstalling and reloading Excel (a very laborious process because I must uninstall and reinstall all of Office Pro, and then download all updates since my CD copy). This seems to fix the problem for a while, but it returns a few weeks later. I am baffl...

Virus like behaviour but no virus
G'day Hope I can get some help with this one 1)Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 2) I have scanned the server for viruses using two reputable brands and no virus has been detected. I have an Exchange compatible virus scanner; no viruses. 3) The SMTP service is running; The Exchange Virtual SMTP server is stopped. 4) As soon as the virtual SMTP server is started my link is flooded with outbound traffic. If I then pause the virtual server the flooding continues. If I stop the virtual SMTP server the flooding stops. 5) I cannot see anything in the queues. Getting desperate so any suggesti...

Can excel pasted int Publisher 2003 corrupt the file?
Here is my dilemma, I have a publisher document that I wanted to add cells from an excel file, I copied and pasted the excel cells and saved the document, but when i go to reopen the publisher file I get the message "publisher can not open file". I have only encounterd this problem when I paste cells from excel, word docs that are merged in work fine. And no copying excel files into word and then mergeing them into publisher doesnt work because word still keeps the cell properties from excel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

123 files
Is there any way to open Lotus 123 files in Excel? As far as I know, yes. Open them. Tyro "jasper" <jasper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE91293A-624E-4AA8-8B60-7CF3B18622C1@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to open Lotus 123 files in Excel? File>Open>Files of Type>Lotus 123 *.wk? Give it a try. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:01:00 -0800, jasper <jasper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there any way to open Lotus 123 files in Excel? What version of excel and what extension of the Lotus file? jaspe...

How to create Excel file?
Hi all I'm creating an application and I want to save the output in an excel sheet file, doesn any one know how can I do that ?? Thanks What do you mean, do you want to save it in a format that Execl can read, or do you want to save in a real execl file. Execl doesn't have a problem reading comma seperated files, if that exceptable. Or look into actually opening an execl spreadsheet within your application and let the user input their data directly into the spreadsheet. (COM Object) and here are links with descriptions to the file format http://sc.openoffice.org/excelfileformat.p...

Resource file problems.
For some reason my resource file changes on it's own. On compiling I get an error as unknown resource for "HIDC_CAPTION_EDIT". I opened the file ran a "replace all" on it to change it back to "IDC_CAPTION_EDIT". Everything works fine the next time I make any changes to my resources I get the same error and it has been changed back again! I know the res file is being updated but where do I look for the cause and fix it? Thanks, Mark If what you are saying is that you have "HIDC_CAPTION_EDIT" defined in the resource.h file, and are changing it ...

How to get Address cards to be in order of First name and then last name (and not in "file as" order)?
Outlook2003/winXP Hi After persistent errors when downloading new emails, I have just copied my contacts across into a new PST file. The problem is that now in "Address Card" view some names are in "Last name, then first name" order, whereas many other entries are in "First name then last name" order. Looking more closely, if there is a comma between the names then it always shows the Lastname first. How do I stop this?! If I go to "Tools" > "email accounts" > V"iew or change existing directories or address book" there is ...

Move files that OLE Links are connected to
We are in a network environment. We have run out of space on our main finance server and are going to purchase a new one. However I have over 1000 OLE links linked to the maxed out server. What is going to happen to the OLE links when we move the original files to a new server? Am I going to lose everything? Is there a way that we can run a script of some kind to change the file extension in the OLE link to the new server name without disrupting/losing the links? Jen, Try copy your ole directory in the old server and put it to the new server. After that, change your dex.ini file...

Cannot open pps files from Windows Mail
In order to view pps files, I downloaded and installed the free pp viewer from Microsoft. I checked the pps file association to be sure they are associated with PowerPoint Viewer. However, I cannot open the pps attachments in Windows Mail. Rather, I have to save the attachments to my hard drive and then open them from My Documents. What do I need to do to be able to open them directly from within Windows Mail? Thanks, Mack In Windows Mail, do the following: 1. Click on "Tools" 2. Click on "Options" 3. Click on "Security" 4. Untick ...

Virus e-mails
I posted a Question Oct 4 at 11:45 PM "Balanced or Mixed Asset Funds" Sence then my e-mail address has received hundreds of virus carrying e-mails every day some purported to be from Microsoft or Postmaster, etc. My virus S/W deleted them and I don't run .exe e-mail attachments. My e-mail is overloaded and useless. Only the e-mail given to this newsgroup is effected. Why are our e-mail addresses included in the post? To whom should I report this? It is not just this newsgroup. The spammers have software that scans all the newsgroups and pull out anything that look...

Component Write Exception importing package files
Hello, I am trying to import a package file that contains a modified form with VBA. When I import the package file I get a "component write exception" error, but then the form appears in Customization Maintenance as a modified form with VBA. When I open the window in Dynamics I can see that the form is modified and the VBA dot is on the right side of the form, but the VBA does not appear to run. When I export this form to a new package file, and then open the package file in notepad I can see that the actual VBA code on the form is missing, but the VBA in modules is there....

publisher file
dear all, i wonder if you can help? i have two files ( brochures) constructed in pub 2000 i made in my previous workplace. However i do not have access to publisher on my new computer. Is there anyway of opening my files and converting them to word so i can access the jpegs and text. None of my colleagues or mates have publisher so i am at a loss. any ideas? mark After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from mark madams <mark.madams@blueyonder.co.uk>... > i have two files ( brochures) constructed in pub 2000 i > made in my previous workplace. How...

AVG Virus software
Hi, I use the free version of AVG. When I looked at my VIRUS VAULT I saw about 10 entries, some described as virus, but I am not sure what to do to get rid of these things. Do I select EMPTY VAULT or else select each item and click on DELETE ? Thanks, Peter Since it's not part of Windows XP, you would ask here: http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum "Peter Buttuls" <ye025@victoria.tc.ca> wrote in message news:%23dhtl4%23hKHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... : Hi, : I use the free version of AVG. When I looked at my VIRUS VAULT I saw about : 10 entr...

Wizard unable to open form in Form or Datasheet view
I am just learning Access, and I am unable to get a Form to work with my database. I get an error, "The wizard is unable to open your form in Form view or Datasheet view, possibly because another user has a source table open in exclusive mode." I am the only one working on this database, which is brand-new. I found one Help article that said if a "reserved word" was used, that could cause a problem like this, and I had done that on my first try. I created the form based on two tables, "Facilities" and "Activities", that are in a one-t...