Validation Options with option List

Good morning!

i have set up an validation list option in Excel so i can choose what
option to pick. For example, i can choose test1, test2 and/or test3.
But what i want to try to do is when i choose one of the options
test1,test2 and/or test3 i want for those options different fields like
for example:

Test1

this is the text of data for test1

When i choose the option Test2 i want the text or data cleared for
test1 and see the text for option 2. I hope you can help me with this
problem, thanks in advanced!

Edo

--
EdoZwart
EdoZwart's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30000

Could you not just add a simple IF test in an adjoining cell

=IF(H1="test1","this is the text for test1", IF(H1 = "test2", ...

--

HTH

RP

"EdoZwart" <EdoZwart.20ufyy_1135930501.2578@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:EdoZwart.20ufyy_1135930501.2578@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Good morning!
>

> i have set up an validation list option in Excel so i can choose what
> option to pick. For example, i can choose test1, test2 and/or test3.
> But what i want to try to do is when i choose one of the options
> test1,test2 and/or test3 i want for those options different fields like
> for example:
>
> Test1
>
> this is the text of data for test1
>

> When i choose the option Test2 i want the text or data cleared for
> test1 and see the text for option 2. I hope you can help me with this
> problem, thanks in advanced!
>
> Edo
>

> --
> EdoZwart
> EdoZwart's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30000
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=496878

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
12/30/2005 10:52:19 AM
If you are talking about actual tests (e.g. test1 has several questions,
test2 has several questions and so on) you can do this.  Let's say your tests
are on sheet 1 and your validation is on sheet 2.  On sheet 1, insert a
column to the left of the questions.  In the new column, next to the first
question of test1, type "test11", beside the second question of test1, type
"test12" and do this for the rest of the questions.  When you get to the
test2 questions, type "test21"..."test22"... "test23", etc.           Now, go
to sheet 2 and move your validation box to cell B1.  In column A, on the row
where you want the first question to be, type =$B$1&1  Where you want the
second question to be, type =$B$1&2  Do this down the page for as many
questions as you have in each test.  In column B, where you want the first
question to be, type =VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$50,2,FALSE)  The array
[A1:B50] needs to cover all three tests on sheet 1.  You can then copy this
formula and paste it where you want question 2... and so on down the page.
Now when you change the validation in B1 to "test2", all of the test2
questions will appear... change it to test3 and all of the test3 questions
will appear.

Hope this helps.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Could you not just add a simple IF test in an adjoining cell
>
> =IF(H1="test1","this is the text for test1", IF(H1 = "test2", ...
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> RP
>

> "EdoZwart" <EdoZwart.20ufyy_1135930501.2578@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
> message news:EdoZwart.20ufyy_1135930501.2578@excelforum-nospam.com...
> >
> > Good morning!
> >

> > i have set up an validation list option in Excel so i can choose what
> > option to pick. For example, i can choose test1, test2 and/or test3.
> > But what i want to try to do is when i choose one of the options
> > test1,test2 and/or test3 i want for those options different fields like
> > for example:
> >
> > Test1
> >
> > this is the text of data for test1
> >

> > When i choose the option Test2 i want the text or data cleared for
> > test1 and see the text for option 2. I hope you can help me with this
> > problem, thanks in advanced!
> >
> > Edo
> >

> > --
> > EdoZwart
> > EdoZwart's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30000
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=496878

0
JR1 (208)

Can I display the e-mal contact list as last name, first name?
New to Outlook 2003. When I open a contact list to address an e-mail, the names are displayed firt name, last name. I don't like this. Can I have the list displayed last name, first name as in the actual contact card? Thanks. You can change the display format of the Outlook Address Book here: Tools menu > Email accounts > View/Change existing directories/address books > Click Next > Highlight Outlook Address Book > Click Change "Mr. Tutt" <Mr. Tutt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5239651-5A75-490F-87BA-64B92A344B8D@microsoft.com... &g...

Can a DL List be broken down and sent one address per message?
I currently have an exchange 2003 box in a Server 2003 domain. I have 150 odd workers in the field who carry cell phones. I created a Distribution List in a public folder, and used the [add new...] button to place each cell users "text message" address in the list. (5551231234@vtext.com is the format). I did not create contacts or domain/email accounts for these users. They exist no where except for in this DL. Yesterday, I sent an email to supervisors@mydomain.com (supervisors is the list name) from my local exchange account using outlook and all worked fine. It showed up as a...

Msgbox entry validation
The following Macro will not loop more than twice the error entries. Will someone help me correct it to loop indefinely? Thanks Sub Entry_validation() Dim Teststring As String Dim Inputstring As String Cells(1, 1) = "ABC" 'as given filename Cells(2, 1) = "DEF" 'as given filename Cells(3, 1) = "GHI" 'as given filename Cells(4, 1) = "JKL" 'as given filename errorloop: Inputstring = InputBox(prompt:="Enter Filename" & vbLf & "Enter abort to abort en...

Sending to lists
I have a client who is unable to send to a list of individuals. There is an 'email to all' function from a Web site roster, enabling the user to mail all the people listed. It works for me and for others, and she is using Outlook as well, and the same browser. Does anyone know if this could be from an Outlook setting? I have searched the help index and have found nothing. I have also checked the code behind the site, and its clean. I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks! Lydia What version of Outlook? How many folks are on the list? Are you all on t...

Linking body text to multilevel lists that update
When writing large documents with numbered multilevel lists, is it possible to link body text to the numbers so that they both change together? For example: (Text for section 3.5) 3.1.5 Refer to item 2.1. If the document gets revised, and section 2.1 becomes section 3.1, it automatically updates (numbering), but the text in what is now section 4.1.5 still refers to section 2.1, which is incorrect. Can these be linked so that when the number becomes 3.1 (in the numbered multilevel list), the body text will also update automatically? The same situation exists when referenci...

Data Validation -> Validation list is larger than the cell width
I have a workbook that I've just added data validation to one cell. FWIW, the data validation is based on a named range. Here's the (perceived) problem. When I've set up data validation in the past, the selection is the same width as the cell. In this case, the list starts almost a full cell width to the left. What am I missing? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Barb, In Excel2003 I can replicate what you describe under the following conditions: 1. the named range contains entries that are wider than the data validation cell 2. The data validation cell is r...

Where is the greeting card options task pane?
I am trying to find greeting card verses. In trying to follow the "help" instructions, I cannot find the greeting card task pane. Moose wrote: > I am trying to find greeting card verses. In trying to follow the > "help" instructions, I cannot find the greeting card task pane. ======================================= Maybe you are remembering MS Home Publishing. MS Publisher (similar name very different program) does not have the same options. In Pub 2007....go to... View / Task Pane / Change Template / Greeting Cards... select the one you like... That's all ...

Validating against a DTD
Hello All, I am trying to validate an xml file against a DTD. I went through a lot of examples especially: http://www.xmlforasp.net/codebank/util/srcview.aspx?path=../../codebank/System_Xml/XmlValidatingReader/Validator/validator.src&file=validator.cs&font=3 but its not working in my case. First of all, when i try to add my DTD file in XmlSchemaCollection object, it throws an error saying DocType element is expected. I am using NITF DTD for this and there is no DocType element in it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. VD You should not add DTDs to XmlSchemaCollection. XmlSchema...

Script to list user rights assignment, local sec. policy and audit policy
Dear all, I need to list user rights assignment, local security policy and audit policy of Windows 2003 servers. Request to help me in providing vb script to list out those. Many thanks Narasimham "Narasimham" <vnarasimham@gmail.com> said this in news item news:e0b5057a-56e7-494d-afa2-43ae98d52a0c@e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > Dear all, > I need to list user rights assignment, local security policy and audit > policy of Windows 2003 servers. Request to help me in providing vb > script to list out those. > Many thanks > Narasimham Try xcac...

Appending a row to List box row source
I would like to append a row to a list box row source that uses a query as it's source. I can think of a way to do this using a union query - but would like to know if there are other options. If the RowSource is a query, then your only option is to add the record to the source of the query, either by adding it to the underlying table, or creating a UNION query that joins the new data to the existing data. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "JimP" <jpockmire@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:464db013$0$4...

Validation dropdown list is not coming visible
Hi, I'm using XP and 2003. I have a problem that I have once found resolution, but now it came again and cannot remember what needs to be done. Here is the problem: There is a column where Validation is specified in right manner with error message in case of error. When selecting the cell - dropdown list is not coming visible. In case I write something wrong it gives error message. If I recall correctly - it was something to do with some kind of list. How can I change this to work properly? I tried to paste new column from another file where the column is working as I want...

Data Validation
Hi all I want to set data validation on a cell so that it will accept the following (and only the following) text strings: (1) "BR" (literally) or (2) "NT" (literally) or (3) "nA" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take any of the values "L", "P", "T", "V" or "Y" or (4) "An" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take either of the values "K" or "D". Is this possible, please, and if so how? thanks -- Return e...

Field Options
We have an Access database that has a field with 2 choices - "A - Been Recommended" and "B - Has Not Been Recommended". When we choose one of the answers in any record, it changes all the records to that choice. Why would this be? Also, regardless of the choice, A or B, when we print, all the records show as if choice A has been selected. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. "Stacey" <snestlerode@keppel.k12.ca.us> wrote in message news:697047F2-ECD1-4566-B541-EF0F4056F0B2@microsoft.com... > We have an Access d...

reinstall-validation problem
Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over. All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I notice it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself during one of the boots and I think little of it until ... During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my laptop figured I just download it. When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let it, at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, g...

Autofilter Lists Problem
I have a spreadsheet that has 1576 rows and 30 columns. When doing spot checks I switch on the Autofiler and use the drop down list to locate the specified value. In my spreadsheet in one column that I have labelled as "Lot" I am unable to locate the specified value. However, I can scroll down and see the value or I can use the CTRL+F function to find the value. So why am I unable to see the value through the AUTOFILTER drop down list when all rows are selected. This has become very frustrating so any help and advice would be great. I am unable to use the AUTOFILTER dropd...

Summary Options
I have Access 2007. Recently I was trying to do some summary options on reports that I was about to create. However when I got to the point in the report selection in the report wizard I notice that on the screen with the sorting options there is suppose to be a "Summary Option" button. This does not appear where it should according to the information that I have. What happen to it and does anyone know how to get it to appear? I am not sure about 2007 but I believe in earlier versions, this option was not available if there were no numeric fields in the report's...

Validation
Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the combobox alone. Thank again Please stay in the ORIGINAL thread. The archives will thank you. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "JLong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c49c3b$889b5020$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the > double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the > combobox alone. Thank again ...

distribution list privacy
Is there a way to keep my mail recipients from seeing all of the names in my distribution list. For instance, I have a distribution list named "clients" which obviously contains email addresses of all of my clients. I don't want each recipient(client) to see the complete list of names when he receives an email from me that was sent to the whole group. Is there a solution in both Outlook and Outlook Express? Use the BCC field, do a mail merge or use an application like one of these found here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#massmail E-mail Templates is a pe...

Data Validation
I have set up a data form and have data validation rules on the various input cells. I see that there is an option called "Ignore blanks" in the data validation settings, which is supposed to restrict someone from entering past an input cell without entering valid data, if the "Ignore blanks" box is unchecked. I have tried to do this, but it does not seem to work. Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Provide information, or better yet, a screen capture of the Data Validation dialog box with the Setting tab selected (User ALT+PrintScreen to copy the imag...

validating macro
Hi I am sending a spread sheet out to branchs I need them to complete a sheet (common info) before they do anything else on the workbook. I am looking for a macro or code for VBA which who check (common info) see if the cells are complete if not bring up a error screen informing the user to complete the form and then take them straight to the (common info) sheet. and if possible let them go to the tab which they want to go to. Use an extended version of something along these lines: (if there are lots of cells use a 'for row numbers x to y' or 'do until' statment, o...

display a drop menu with options.
What I am trying to do is to display in a box a list of options to allow the user to define exactly what they would like to view, for example, one colum defines color, I would like to have some kind of drop menu with all the colors and an option to display all colours ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ It kind of sounds like you have two dropdowns. The second is dependent on the first. If this is close to true, you may want to look at Debra Dalgleish'...

Combo Box
Hi All, So i have a form with a combo box listing all primary keys from a table. The combo box also has a select statement pulling all data into box to fill other fields in the form. The correct data appears in the combo box, however, when I drop down and click on an ID, it will not select that ID. the combo box stays as is, with the entire list of IDs.. I can right click on the combo box and filter for the correct ID and the data appears.. Im sure this is just a setting, or something im doing wrong, but i cant figure it out. help! Thanks Danielle Yes - both of those settings are corre...

How to add a distribution group to the all global address list
Hello I would like to know if it's possible to add a distribution group in the all global address list. In order to avoid that user need to go in the group section to see the group list. I'm using Exch 2003 on Server 2003 and Outlook 2003 on the workstation. Help should be appreciate? all of my distribution lists appear in the GAL...yours do not? "Brice" <Brice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECE99E9A-D964-42BB-BC8E-A48076B4AFA9@microsoft.com... > Hello > I would like to know if it's possible to add a distribution group in the all > gl...

Messages show only my name in preview pane list
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi <br><br>I'm using Entourage with my MobileMe account and also copying my messages onto the 'On my computer' section. In this section I have some folders I have created for storing sent messages. In some of these folders, when I use the preview pane, all the messages are shown in the list with my name as the addressee (I have not even copied myself so obviously there are none that actually have me as a recipient). When I get rid of the preview pane they all have the correct name. <br...

Reboot Validator
I'm running XP Pro, SP3. Attempting to install a program from Nero. Software keeps failing at startup, despite numerous re-installs. During installs, it keeps attempting to update the 'reboot validator' which it does not seem to be able to do. What is the reboot validator, and how do I update it. Couldn't find anything useful on MS site and Nero Tech support just says its an MS problem. -- Thank you, B. Parker Never heard of it but Nero Support should know about it: Reboot Validator appears to be a Nero component; cf. http://www.brighthub.com/comput...