validation list drop down box, how do I bring in text commands

I have a reference set in excel that is two columns.  The first column lists
functions in text (i.e. AVERAGE, COUNT, COUNTA, MAX, MIN....).  The second
column lists the corresponding function number (i.e. AVG = 1,  COUNT =2....).
 I made a drop down box using data, validation, list so that the function
numbers appear in a row.  The row below I put in subtotal(grab command from
drop down, data set to calc).  I can't figure out how to return the TEXT from
my columns above, rather than function number.  I want my drop down to have
AVERAGE,  not 1.

0
scott7693 (515)

Hi Scott,
Debra Dalgleish has pages on validation, suggest you start there to
see if your question can be answered from there:
  http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Peter Noneley has a workbook that has a sheet for each of the functions
that he included.  His site has been down but Peter gave Ron de Bruin  permission
to distribute from his site in the meantime.
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/xlfdic01.zip
I would highly recommend that.

You might also see   http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052042111033.aspx
if you don't have an Excel Help file.
---
HTH,

"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C7DFAF5-C655-4C3E-9AC3-8BAD22722EDC@microsoft.com...
> I have a reference set in excel that is two columns.  The first column lists
> functions in text (i.e. AVERAGE, COUNT, COUNTA, MAX, MIN....).  The second
> column lists the corresponding function number (i.e. AVG = 1,  COUNT =2....).
>  I made a drop down box using data, validation, list so that the function
> numbers appear in a row.  The row below I put in subtotal(grab command from
> drop down, data set to calc).  I can't figure out how to return the TEXT from
> my columns above, rather than function number.  I want my drop down to have
> AVERAGE,  not 1.

Can I display the e-mal contact list as last name, first name?
New to Outlook 2003. When I open a contact list to address an e-mail, the names are displayed firt name, last name. I don't like this. Can I have the list displayed last name, first name as in the actual contact card? Thanks. You can change the display format of the Outlook Address Book here: Tools menu > Email accounts > View/Change existing directories/address books > Click Next > Highlight Outlook Address Book > Click Change "Mr. Tutt" <Mr. Tutt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5239651-5A75-490F-87BA-64B92A344B8D@microsoft.com... &g...

Why does a drop ship PO need a Site ID for the line items?
What line item Site ID would I use on drop ship POs? On a normal PO, the Site ID is where the product will be inventoried; for a drop ship, it will never come into our warehouse so I'm confused why I would need to enter something here. The address to which the vendor ships the product is put into the Shipping Address ID (which makes sense)....I just don't get why you need a Site ID. -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 Bud, The Site ID is a required field and you will be asked to enter one, even when entering a drop-ship PO. Best rega...

Msgbox entry validation
The following Macro will not loop more than twice the error entries. Will someone help me correct it to loop indefinely? Thanks Sub Entry_validation() Dim Teststring As String Dim Inputstring As String Cells(1, 1) = "ABC" 'as given filename Cells(2, 1) = "DEF" 'as given filename Cells(3, 1) = "GHI" 'as given filename Cells(4, 1) = "JKL" 'as given filename errorloop: Inputstring = InputBox(prompt:="Enter Filename" & vbLf & "Enter abort to abort en...

Can a DL List be broken down and sent one address per message?
I currently have an exchange 2003 box in a Server 2003 domain. I have 150 odd workers in the field who carry cell phones. I created a Distribution List in a public folder, and used the [add new...] button to place each cell users "text message" address in the list. (5551231234@vtext.com is the format). I did not create contacts or domain/email accounts for these users. They exist no where except for in this DL. Yesterday, I sent an email to supervisors@mydomain.com (supervisors is the list name) from my local exchange account using outlook and all worked fine. It showed up as a...

Data Validation -> Validation list is larger than the cell width
I have a workbook that I've just added data validation to one cell. FWIW, the data validation is based on a named range. Here's the (perceived) problem. When I've set up data validation in the past, the selection is the same width as the cell. In this case, the list starts almost a full cell width to the left. What am I missing? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Barb, In Excel2003 I can replicate what you describe under the following conditions: 1. the named range contains entries that are wider than the data validation cell 2. The data validation cell is r...

Linking body text to multilevel lists that update
When writing large documents with numbered multilevel lists, is it possible to link body text to the numbers so that they both change together? For example: (Text for section 3.5) 3.1.5 Refer to item 2.1. If the document gets revised, and section 2.1 becomes section 3.1, it automatically updates (numbering), but the text in what is now section 4.1.5 still refers to section 2.1, which is incorrect. Can these be linked so that when the number becomes 3.1 (in the numbered multilevel list), the body text will also update automatically? The same situation exists when referenci...

Text to Columns...
Does anyone know the official function of the menu option called "Text to Columns..." which is found under the "data" option on the menu bar? How does it work? What is it supposed to do? Answers to these questions would be appreciated. Thank you... Craig craig_madrin@goodyear.com It allows you to separate text in a cell or column of cells either by position (fixed) or based on a delimiter, and place the separated data in one or more columns. It can also do some rudimentary data manipulation, including parsing dates, converting numbers to text, text, etc. Th...

Sending to lists
I have a client who is unable to send to a list of individuals. There is an 'email to all' function from a Web site roster, enabling the user to mail all the people listed. It works for me and for others, and she is using Outlook as well, and the same browser. Does anyone know if this could be from an Outlook setting? I have searched the help index and have found nothing. I have also checked the code behind the site, and its clean. I would really appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks! Lydia What version of Outlook? How many folks are on the list? Are you all on t...

Validating against a DTD
Hello All, I am trying to validate an xml file against a DTD. I went through a lot of examples especially: http://www.xmlforasp.net/codebank/util/srcview.aspx?path=../../codebank/System_Xml/XmlValidatingReader/Validator/validator.src&file=validator.cs&font=3 but its not working in my case. First of all, when i try to add my DTD file in XmlSchemaCollection object, it throws an error saying DocType element is expected. I am using NITF DTD for this and there is no DocType element in it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. VD You should not add DTDs to XmlSchemaCollection. XmlSchema...

Appending a row to List box row source
I would like to append a row to a list box row source that uses a query as it's source. I can think of a way to do this using a union query - but would like to know if there are other options. If the RowSource is a query, then your only option is to add the record to the source of the query, either by adding it to the underlying table, or creating a UNION query that joins the new data to the existing data. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "JimP" <jpockmire@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:464db013$0$4...

Script to list user rights assignment, local sec. policy and audit policy
Dear all, I need to list user rights assignment, local security policy and audit policy of Windows 2003 servers. Request to help me in providing vb script to list out those. Many thanks Narasimham "Narasimham" <vnarasimham@gmail.com> said this in news item news:e0b5057a-56e7-494d-afa2-43ae98d52a0c@e37g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > Dear all, > I need to list user rights assignment, local security policy and audit > policy of Windows 2003 servers. Request to help me in providing vb > script to list out those. > Many thanks > Narasimham Try xcac...

Cut, Copy, Paste Buttons Missing from Toolbar & Commands

How: Setting UTF8 as an application wide text encoding format
XmlTextReader myXmlReader = new XmlTextReader(args[0]); string en = myXmlReader.Encoding.EncodingName; //Console.WriteLine(x); Error: Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. HOW CAN I GET THE ENCODING NAME ? Basically determine the encoding type. Also How can I "set" an application wide Encoding ? I want all modules and everything to stick to and conform to UTF- 8. But somehow some methods automatically go to UTF-16 xmlguy, 1) What's args[0] in your example? Does it contain any Xml? In that case you first...

Validation dropdown list is not coming visible
Hi, I'm using XP and 2003. I have a problem that I have once found resolution, but now it came again and cannot remember what needs to be done. Here is the problem: There is a column where Validation is specified in right manner with error message in case of error. When selecting the cell - dropdown list is not coming visible. In case I write something wrong it gives error message. If I recall correctly - it was something to do with some kind of list. How can I change this to work properly? I tried to paste new column from another file where the column is working as I want...

Data Validation
Hi all I want to set data validation on a cell so that it will accept the following (and only the following) text strings: (1) "BR" (literally) or (2) "NT" (literally) or (3) "nA" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take any of the values "L", "P", "T", "V" or "Y" or (4) "An" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take either of the values "K" or "D". Is this possible, please, and if so how? thanks -- Return e...

Viewing Users in List View
When assigning tasks, my manager wishes to be able to see completed and assigned tasks by user. For instance, if he is in Workplace, he would like to be able to sort active and closed activities by User name, either from the view dropdown or maybe by creating a sortable user header. Any suggestions on how we might go about this-I would think there must be a simple way to do it. Thanks in Advance~ Jamie Use the Advanced Find tool to search on Activities. You can search on activities by type, by who they are assigned to, whether they are open or closed, etc. You will probably want to ...

reinstall-validation problem
Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over. All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I notice it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself during one of the boots and I think little of it until ... During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my laptop figured I just download it. When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let it, at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, g...

Autofilter Lists Problem
I have a spreadsheet that has 1576 rows and 30 columns. When doing spot checks I switch on the Autofiler and use the drop down list to locate the specified value. In my spreadsheet in one column that I have labelled as "Lot" I am unable to locate the specified value. However, I can scroll down and see the value or I can use the CTRL+F function to find the value. So why am I unable to see the value through the AUTOFILTER drop down list when all rows are selected. This has become very frustrating so any help and advice would be great. I am unable to use the AUTOFILTER dropd...

Validation
Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the combobox alone. Thank again Please stay in the ORIGINAL thread. The archives will thank you. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "JLong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c49c3b$889b5020$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the > double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the > combobox alone. Thank again ...

distribution list privacy
Is there a way to keep my mail recipients from seeing all of the names in my distribution list. For instance, I have a distribution list named "clients" which obviously contains email addresses of all of my clients. I don't want each recipient(client) to see the complete list of names when he receives an email from me that was sent to the whole group. Is there a solution in both Outlook and Outlook Express? Use the BCC field, do a mail merge or use an application like one of these found here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#massmail E-mail Templates is a pe...

Help with Combo Box
I currently use Excel 2000, and have a list of names. I would like t create a combo box that would allow the user to either find the name b scrolling through or by typing in the first few letters of the name. When I create the combo box on the worksheet using the forms button fo combo box, it doesn't allow me to type in the first few letters. an help appreciated. charle -- cfriedber ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cfriedberg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2565 View this thread: http://www.excelforum...

Data Validation
I have set up a data form and have data validation rules on the various input cells. I see that there is an option called "Ignore blanks" in the data validation settings, which is supposed to restrict someone from entering past an input cell without entering valid data, if the "Ignore blanks" box is unchecked. I have tried to do this, but it does not seem to work. Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Provide information, or better yet, a screen capture of the Data Validation dialog box with the Setting tab selected (User ALT+PrintScreen to copy the imag...

validating macro
Hi I am sending a spread sheet out to branchs I need them to complete a sheet (common info) before they do anything else on the workbook. I am looking for a macro or code for VBA which who check (common info) see if the cells are complete if not bring up a error screen informing the user to complete the form and then take them straight to the (common info) sheet. and if possible let them go to the tab which they want to go to. Use an extended version of something along these lines: (if there are lots of cells use a 'for row numbers x to y' or 'do until' statment, o...

Drop'n'drag multiple files?
How do I see in my MFC SDI OnOpenDocument(LPCTSTR lpszPathName){} that I intend to open multiple files (either from drag'n'drop) or from an opendialog? You don't from OnOpenDocument(). This method only opens one file at a time and should be called once for each file. The problem is that the CCommandLineInfo class only reads and opens a single file from the command line. I had to modify this class (or, rather, derive from it) to make it handle multiple files). -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits http://www.softcircuits.com "Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen" <mnielsen@...

Messages show only my name in preview pane list
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi <br><br>I'm using Entourage with my MobileMe account and also copying my messages onto the 'On my computer' section. In this section I have some folders I have created for storing sent messages. In some of these folders, when I use the preview pane, all the messages are shown in the list with my name as the addressee (I have not even copied myself so obviously there are none that actually have me as a recipient). When I get rid of the preview pane they all have the correct name. <br...