Validation/Duplication

I need help writing a formula for validation of entries. On the include
file, rows 9 & 17 include truck numbers that our drivers use. Th
problem is, I would like my dispatcher to get an error message if h
enters the same truck number 2x in the same column (Example - cells D
& D17 both contain truck number 2668 ). I've tried to use th
Validation Rule, but it allows me to enter the same number in as man
cells as I want ?! The formula I used was "=COUNTIF(D3:D299,D3)=1"
but that doesn't work. Does anybody know a way of doing this ?  An
help would be greatly appreciated !

               Attachment filename: exceltip.xls
Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=54374

Hi
see
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> I need help writing a formula for validation of entries. On the
> included file, rows 9 & 17 include truck numbers that our drivers
> use. The
> problem is, I would like my dispatcher to get an error message if he
> enters the same truck number 2x in the same column (Example - cells
D9
> & D17 both contain truck number 2668 ). I've tried to use the
> Validation Rule, but it allows me to enter the same number in as many
> cells as I want ?! The formula I used was "=COUNTIF(D3:D299,D3)=1" -
> but that doesn't work. Does anybody know a way of doing this ?  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated !!
>
>                Attachment filename: exceltip.xls
> Download attachment:
> http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=543746 ---

frank.kabel (11126)
5/13/2004 5:27:31 PM
Hi
Go to Cell D3 and put this formula in the Data Validation
window
=COUNTIF($D$3:$D3,D3)=1
then copy the formatting of that cell all the way down
column D from cell 3 to whereever you want to end up.

The problem with your formula was that it was not set up
properly with respect to absolute and relative references.

See Debra Dalgleish web site for more details:

HTH
On the included
>file, rows 9 & 17 include truck numbers that our drivers
use. The
>problem is, I would like my dispatcher to get an error
message if he
>enters the same truck number 2x in the same column
(Example - cells D9
>& D17 both contain truck number 2668 ). I've tried to use
the
>Validation Rule, but it allows me to enter the same
number in as many
>cells as I want ?! The formula I used was "=COUNTIF
(D3:D299,D3)=1" -
>but that doesn't work. Does anybody know a way of doing
this ?  Any
>help would be greatly appreciated !!
>
>               Attachment filename:
exceltip.xls
>Download attachment:
http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=543746
>---
>
>.

0
mmzehr (177)
5/13/2004 5:30:20 PM
Thank you , & it's real close. The formula works fine if entering truc
numbers from top to bottom , but if randomly entering truck numbers in
it doesn't work. As you can see, drivers are listed at the left & thei
"slot" takes up 8 cells. If a driver , let's call him Jim has a truc
assigned to him in cell D26 , we can then go to cell D10 & enter th
same number there also (which does not work in reverse).

I hope that's a clear enough description of the problem I'm having.

Thanks alot, I appreciate your responses

Msgbox entry validation
The following Macro will not loop more than twice the error entries. Will someone help me correct it to loop indefinely? Thanks Sub Entry_validation() Dim Teststring As String Dim Inputstring As String Cells(1, 1) = "ABC" 'as given filename Cells(2, 1) = "DEF" 'as given filename Cells(3, 1) = "GHI" 'as given filename Cells(4, 1) = "JKL" 'as given filename errorloop: Inputstring = InputBox(prompt:="Enter Filename" & vbLf & "Enter abort to abort en...

duplicate appointments
Hi, Only one user experiences an issue in his calendar, he has double entries and duplicated appointments in Outlook 2003 (rpc over https) and OWA. Have you any idea what can cause this issue?? the Time zone option "Adjust for daylight saving time" is checked. Thanks, Haydar Anything like Blackberry involved? James Chong Haydar wrote: > Hi, > > Only one user experiences an issue in his calendar, he has double entries > and duplicated appointments in Outlook 2003 (rpc over https) and OWA. > > Have you any idea what can cause this issue?? the Time zone ...

Data Validation -> Validation list is larger than the cell width
I have a workbook that I've just added data validation to one cell. FWIW, the data validation is based on a named range. Here's the (perceived) problem. When I've set up data validation in the past, the selection is the same width as the cell. In this case, the list starts almost a full cell width to the left. What am I missing? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Barb, In Excel2003 I can replicate what you describe under the following conditions: 1. the named range contains entries that are wider than the data validation cell 2. The data validation cell is r...

Validating against a DTD
Hello All, I am trying to validate an xml file against a DTD. I went through a lot of examples especially: http://www.xmlforasp.net/codebank/util/srcview.aspx?path=../../codebank/System_Xml/XmlValidatingReader/Validator/validator.src&file=validator.cs&font=3 but its not working in my case. First of all, when i try to add my DTD file in XmlSchemaCollection object, it throws an error saying DocType element is expected. I am using NITF DTD for this and there is no DocType element in it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. VD You should not add DTDs to XmlSchemaCollection. XmlSchema...

Duplicate Emails #39
I have a user with Windows XP Pro, SP2, all updates, has office 2003 with SP3 who just recently installed Outlook 2003 and it's set his default mail reader. It's a POP3 account. AVG anti-virus, and the email scanner is *not* installed or active. Using the Windows firewall. He receives duplicate messages of all incoming email. When he closes it and goes to Outlook Express, he only receives the one copy of the mail. I would appreciate any thoughts you can give. Thanks, Tom On Feb 12, 2:59 pm, "Tom [Pepper] Willett" <t...@youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote: > He ...

Validation dropdown list is not coming visible
Hi, I'm using XP and 2003. I have a problem that I have once found resolution, but now it came again and cannot remember what needs to be done. Here is the problem: There is a column where Validation is specified in right manner with error message in case of error. When selecting the cell - dropdown list is not coming visible. In case I write something wrong it gives error message. If I recall correctly - it was something to do with some kind of list. How can I change this to work properly? I tried to paste new column from another file where the column is working as I want...

Data Validation
Hi all I want to set data validation on a cell so that it will accept the following (and only the following) text strings: (1) "BR" (literally) or (2) "NT" (literally) or (3) "nA" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take any of the values "L", "P", "T", "V" or "Y" or (4) "An" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take either of the values "K" or "D". Is this possible, please, and if so how? thanks -- Return e...

reinstall-validation problem
Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over. All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I notice it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself during one of the boots and I think little of it until ... During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my laptop figured I just download it. When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let it, at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, g...

Validation
Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the combobox alone. Thank again Please stay in the ORIGINAL thread. The archives will thank you. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "JLong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c49c3b$889b5020$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the > double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the > combobox alone. Thank again ...

Prompt for the number of times to duplicate current record
I want to have a button on my form that will ask you how many times to copy the current record and then copy that many times. I cannot find anything on this. Can someone please help me? Why? I'm not asking to be snoopy, but because a well-normalized relational database may not need duplicate records. Can you describe a bit more about the business need you feel this approach (duplicate records) will help you solve? Regards Jeff Boyce Micosoft Office/Access MVP "Krispy" <Krispy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64453E77-E668-486C-8D98-09B98787C762@mi...

Data Validation
I have set up a data form and have data validation rules on the various input cells. I see that there is an option called "Ignore blanks" in the data validation settings, which is supposed to restrict someone from entering past an input cell without entering valid data, if the "Ignore blanks" box is unchecked. I have tried to do this, but it does not seem to work. Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Provide information, or better yet, a screen capture of the Data Validation dialog box with the Setting tab selected (User ALT+PrintScreen to copy the imag...

validating macro
Hi I am sending a spread sheet out to branchs I need them to complete a sheet (common info) before they do anything else on the workbook. I am looking for a macro or code for VBA which who check (common info) see if the cells are complete if not bring up a error screen informing the user to complete the form and then take them straight to the (common info) sheet. and if possible let them go to the tab which they want to go to. Use an extended version of something along these lines: (if there are lots of cells use a 'for row numbers x to y' or 'do until' statment, o...

Duplicate Keys
A2007 I have a class where, among other features, I can "clone" a set of detail items into another header. Works fine, but now I have set up the detail table to prohibit duplicate part numbers. My class uses an ADO recordset to populate detail adds and clones. What's the usual process for detecting and identifying duplicates? Should I use a recordsetclone? Since "find" method can only use one column, I assume whether I'm using a recordset clone, or the main recordset, I have to "filter" first, then find. Of course, there's an index co...

Reboot Validator
I'm running XP Pro, SP3. Attempting to install a program from Nero. Software keeps failing at startup, despite numerous re-installs. During installs, it keeps attempting to update the 'reboot validator' which it does not seem to be able to do. What is the reboot validator, and how do I update it. Couldn't find anything useful on MS site and Nero Tech support just says its an MS problem. -- Thank you, B. Parker Never heard of it but Nero Support should know about it: Reboot Validator appears to be a Nero component; cf. http://www.brighthub.com/comput...

Duplicates #4
We have large amounts of data we need to locate duplicates in based on a particular piece of their record. We have been utilizing a program called DigDB but it tends to be a CPU hog. Is there something in Excel natively to do the same type of thing? Dave French Depends on what you mean by "a particular piece of their record", but you might start here: http://cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm In article <OaywEQ0wEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "David French" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote: > We have large amounts of data we need to locate duplicates in...

Conditional validation?
Hello All I have a sheet that is essentially just columns of data (except for the column headings in the first row), and two of the columns are what I would call 'mutually exclusive': i.e. if a value is entered in a row in either column, the user must be prevented from entering any value in the same row of the other column. The two columns already have some basic validation applied (ranges of permissable numerical values), and this validation would need to be applied for any values that are entered. I am sure this can be done, but cannot see how! Hope someone can help. Many thanks L...

Restore of calendar creates duplicate entries
First off I need to say thank you to all who read and respond. The issue: Duplicate entries in the users calendar after a restore of the calendar using Backup Exec. The enviroment: Exchange 2000 Sp3 on W2k Sp3 and all current MS Critical updates. Veritas media server running Backup Exec 9 build 4357. The process' used: User deleted most of there calendar entries when setting up a new PDA. I setup a restore job using the previous nights backup job. The job was set to "Restore over existing files", "restore security", and "Preserve tree". The job completed su...

REPOST: dynamic validation
I think I wasn't clear that I need the Validation option under the Data menu, List, source values. That is what I am trying to fill with this equation. In other words, range1 and range2 are sets cells which contain values. I want those values to be the dropdown options in the cell based on what the previous cell to the left is selected as. So if Range1 is three cells with Tall, Dark, Handsome and Range2 is Sweet, Pretty, Nice, then based on the selection of F or M in A1, I want the choices for B1 to be one of those lists. I know that quotes are required for the IF. My probl...

Excel 2000 vs 2002 Sheet protection & Validation cells
Hello, I have an Excel spreadsheet built on Excel 2000. I have set sheet protection with password, and I have some unprotected cells with drop down menu (validation with 50 choices) Everything works very well. I sent this file to a friend who has Excel 2002. The same "unprotected" validation cells cannot be modified in his version as the message says that these cells are protected What can be done in order to make it work on his version?? I do have some "very hidden" sheet with password protected VBA properties, if that is an issue. Similarly there are some macros o...

How to use data validation
[NB: I re-structure my question since people got misled from my previous one] What I really wish to ask is: I wish to use data validation for a particular cell. But it doesn't work if I choose "custom" in the "allow" box. 1) In Data | Validation | Settings Tab | Validation Criteria, there is an "Allow" Box. 2) I chose "custom", there is a formula. 3) I type in some formula, eg: =J3 (Just Reference) =J3-J1 (Reference-type formula) =round(J1) (Function-type formula) None of them can activate the validation fu...

Refer to seperate workbook for validation list for drop downs?
Id like to keep my validation data for drop downs in a seperate workbook so that many users/worksheets can reference it. However- data validation doesnt seem to let me reference named ranges in a seperate workbook- any advise out there? -- Dee Visit Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html But take note that the other workbook has to be open. Dee wrote: > > Id like to keep my validation data for drop downs in a seperate workbook so > that many users/worksheets can reference it. However- data validation doesnt > seem to let me reference named r...

Email Validation
I was testing this email validation rule. Is Null Or ((Like "*?@?*.com") Or (Like "*?@?*.org") Or (Like "*?@?*.net") Or (Like "*?@?*.mil") Or (Like "*?@?*.US") And (Not Like "*[ ,;]*" And Not Like "*.@*")) ...but noticed I was able to input .@any.com ... e.g., I was trying to prevent user typing a .@ [that is a dot@] using the ... And Not Like "*.@*")) .. but it must be getting cancelled out by something previous in the validation string. Any suggestions? You could use a routine such as: P...

Data Validation: Validate Specific Day of the Week?
Users will enter a date in cell D6. The date they enter must be a Monday. How can I validate for that? Thanks, -Ted I entered dates in E1:E10. I selected E1 In the Data | Validation dialog, I used Custom and entered =WEEKDAY(E1)=2 I selected all the dates and opened Data | Validation; it offered to apply the validation to all the cells Done best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Ted" <ted.gallagher@gmail.com> wrote in message news:#o$yRC6vKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Users will enter a date in ce...

Data validation for 2 valid values
I want a cell to allow only 2 valid values but not have a drop-down list appear. How do I do that with Data->Validation? Data>validation>allow>list, put the 2 values separated by a comma in the source box, uncheck in cell dropdown -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:ujuB%23w52DHA.2000@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I want a cell to allow only 2 valid values but not have a drop-down list > appear. > > How do I do that with Data->Validation? > > Using a list, as Peo suggested, will force users to match the ...

Adding Records to a table but preventing duplicates + other tests
Hi, I have a table which has three fields Type, Server and Service (table and sample data below): Type Server Service DEV TEST12 Performance PROD ALL Stats DEV ALL Dummy Data On my form, I use an option group to select the (a) individual server or (b) ALL servers (See Server field above). I use the following code to add records to the table when an 'ADD' button is clicked, which works fine: Dim strSQL As String strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblPermSrvcsIg...