Validation #9

Hi
I've setup a validation list of stock part numbers linked to a vlookup
and it works fine.

2 issues:
1- I cannot seem to have the list in any other worksheet but the one
with the validation.
2- When I click on the list, but I know what the start of the part
number is, I want to be able to start entering the part code and the
cursor should find the area matching the characters I have entered. Is
there a way to do this?

thanks
Carlob1
0
carlob (9)

Hi
#1:
- place your list on a separate worksheet
- select the data and define a name for this range 'Insert - Name -
Define'. e.g. mylist
- in the data validation dialog use this list name as source:
=mylist

#2: Not possible with data validation

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Carlo" <carlob@global.co.za> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi
> I've setup a validation list of stock part numbers linked to a
vlookup
> and it works fine.
>
> 2 issues:
> 1- I cannot seem to have the list in any other worksheet but the one
> with the validation.
> 2- When I click on the list, but I know what the start of the part
> number is, I want to be able to start entering the part code and the
> cursor should find the area matching the characters I have entered.
Is
> there a way to do this?
>
> thanks
> Carlob1

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Msgbox entry validation
The following Macro will not loop more than twice the error entries. Will someone help me correct it to loop indefinely? Thanks Sub Entry_validation() Dim Teststring As String Dim Inputstring As String Cells(1, 1) = "ABC" 'as given filename Cells(2, 1) = "DEF" 'as given filename Cells(3, 1) = "GHI" 'as given filename Cells(4, 1) = "JKL" 'as given filename errorloop: Inputstring = InputBox(prompt:="Enter Filename" & vbLf & "Enter abort to abort en...

Data Validation -> Validation list is larger than the cell width
I have a workbook that I've just added data validation to one cell. FWIW, the data validation is based on a named range. Here's the (perceived) problem. When I've set up data validation in the past, the selection is the same width as the cell. In this case, the list starts almost a full cell width to the left. What am I missing? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Barb, In Excel2003 I can replicate what you describe under the following conditions: 1. the named range contains entries that are wider than the data validation cell 2. The data validation cell is r...

SUMIF #9
I have a spreadsheet with 31 tabs. In column A of each tab are a list of names in no particular order and in column B are dollar amounts associated with each name. (I do not have the option of sorting the names so that they appear in the same order every day because the same names do not appear each day). I am attempted to create a Month to Date sheet that sums the total dollar amount for each person by name for the month. I thought a sumif formula might work, however, I receive a #value error each time I attempt to create one. Any help would be appreciated. Hi It would be a lot ...

Validating against a DTD
Hello All, I am trying to validate an xml file against a DTD. I went through a lot of examples especially: http://www.xmlforasp.net/codebank/util/srcview.aspx?path=../../codebank/System_Xml/XmlValidatingReader/Validator/validator.src&file=validator.cs&font=3 but its not working in my case. First of all, when i try to add my DTD file in XmlSchemaCollection object, it throws an error saying DocType element is expected. I am using NITF DTD for this and there is no DocType element in it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. VD You should not add DTDs to XmlSchemaCollection. XmlSchema...

Data Validation
Hi all I want to set data validation on a cell so that it will accept the following (and only the following) text strings: (1) "BR" (literally) or (2) "NT" (literally) or (3) "nA" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take any of the values "L", "P", "T", "V" or "Y" or (4) "An" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take either of the values "K" or "D". Is this possible, please, and if so how? thanks -- Return e...

Validation dropdown list is not coming visible
Hi, I'm using XP and 2003. I have a problem that I have once found resolution, but now it came again and cannot remember what needs to be done. Here is the problem: There is a column where Validation is specified in right manner with error message in case of error. When selecting the cell - dropdown list is not coming visible. In case I write something wrong it gives error message. If I recall correctly - it was something to do with some kind of list. How can I change this to work properly? I tried to paste new column from another file where the column is working as I want...

reinstall-validation problem
Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over. All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I notice it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself during one of the boots and I think little of it until ... During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my laptop figured I just download it. When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let it, at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, g...

How to zero out returned quantities in Inventory (GP 9.0)
We have some erroneous returned quantities that should all be deleted. Is there an easy way to do this without adding them back into the qty on hand? We're on MS SQL and are familiar with Query Analyzer, but I don't know which tables and which fields to look for. In the past, I used Resource Descriptions to try to list all the tables but CheckLinks brought the values back in. Thanks for any assistance. ...

Validation
Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the combobox alone. Thank again Please stay in the ORIGINAL thread. The archives will thank you. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "JLong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c49c3b$889b5020$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the > double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the > combobox alone. Thank again ...

validating macro
Hi I am sending a spread sheet out to branchs I need them to complete a sheet (common info) before they do anything else on the workbook. I am looking for a macro or code for VBA which who check (common info) see if the cells are complete if not bring up a error screen informing the user to complete the form and then take them straight to the (common info) sheet. and if possible let them go to the tab which they want to go to. Use an extended version of something along these lines: (if there are lots of cells use a 'for row numbers x to y' or 'do until' statment, o...

Data Validation
I have set up a data form and have data validation rules on the various input cells. I see that there is an option called "Ignore blanks" in the data validation settings, which is supposed to restrict someone from entering past an input cell without entering valid data, if the "Ignore blanks" box is unchecked. I have tried to do this, but it does not seem to work. Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Provide information, or better yet, a screen capture of the Data Validation dialog box with the Setting tab selected (User ALT+PrintScreen to copy the imag...

econnect POS integration w GP 9.0 troubleshooting
We have engaged a 3rd party to write an integration from POS to GP 9.0. They are experiencing difficulties getting purchases and orders to integration (customers and vendors integrate fine). Anyone experience this before? Know any econnect gurus that we could contract with to troubleshoot? Thanks Donna I recently completed a successful eConnect implementation on GP 9 for a client in which an external application creates sales orders and purchase orders in GP. I'd be happy to talk to you to see if I could provide any assistance. Sincerely, David Rueter drueter@assyst.com "d...

Reboot Validator
I'm running XP Pro, SP3. Attempting to install a program from Nero. Software keeps failing at startup, despite numerous re-installs. During installs, it keeps attempting to update the 'reboot validator' which it does not seem to be able to do. What is the reboot validator, and how do I update it. Couldn't find anything useful on MS site and Nero Tech support just says its an MS problem. -- Thank you, B. Parker Never heard of it but Nero Support should know about it: Reboot Validator appears to be a Nero component; cf. http://www.brighthub.com/comput...

Conditional validation?
Hello All I have a sheet that is essentially just columns of data (except for the column headings in the first row), and two of the columns are what I would call 'mutually exclusive': i.e. if a value is entered in a row in either column, the user must be prevented from entering any value in the same row of the other column. The two columns already have some basic validation applied (ranges of permissable numerical values), and this validation would need to be applied for any values that are entered. I am sure this can be done, but cannot see how! Hope someone can help. Many thanks L...

Excel 2000 vs 2002 Sheet protection & Validation cells
Hello, I have an Excel spreadsheet built on Excel 2000. I have set sheet protection with password, and I have some unprotected cells with drop down menu (validation with 50 choices) Everything works very well. I sent this file to a friend who has Excel 2002. The same "unprotected" validation cells cannot be modified in his version as the message says that these cells are protected What can be done in order to make it work on his version?? I do have some "very hidden" sheet with password protected VBA properties, if that is an issue. Similarly there are some macros o...

REPOST: dynamic validation
I think I wasn't clear that I need the Validation option under the Data menu, List, source values. That is what I am trying to fill with this equation. In other words, range1 and range2 are sets cells which contain values. I want those values to be the dropdown options in the cell based on what the previous cell to the left is selected as. So if Range1 is three cells with Tall, Dark, Handsome and Range2 is Sweet, Pretty, Nice, then based on the selection of F or M in A1, I want the choices for B1 to be one of those lists. I know that quotes are required for the IF. My probl...

How is AP check cutting in version 9.0?
Hi: We are using version 8.0 and my AP personnel and I doesn't like the AP check cutting feature too well. Is upgrading to version 9.0 makes the check cutting so much easiar like in Peachtree or Quickbooks where you pull up individual vendor sand check mark only the invoices you want to pay? Any other pros\cons of upgrading from version 8 to 9 are appreciated? V9 has the functionality to display a list of vendors and mark the invoices you want to pay. You need to create the batch first. -- Charles Allen, MVP "jack" wrote: > Hi: > > We are using version 8....

Publisher #9
I have someone who translated their PUblisher 98 document into Latin. How do i get it back to english? I used the Language setting button and nothing happened. Please Help. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from VP <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I have someone who translated their PUblisher 98 document > into Latin. How do i get it back to english? I used the > Language setting button and nothing happened. There is no way to translate a document automatically. If the person did translate their document, the original text...

How to use data validation
[NB: I re-structure my question since people got misled from my previous one] What I really wish to ask is: I wish to use data validation for a particular cell. But it doesn't work if I choose "custom" in the "allow" box. 1) In Data | Validation | Settings Tab | Validation Criteria, there is an "Allow" Box. 2) I chose "custom", there is a formula. 3) I type in some formula, eg: =J3 (Just Reference) =J3-J1 (Reference-type formula) =round(J1) (Function-type formula) None of them can activate the validation fu...

Email Validation
I was testing this email validation rule. Is Null Or ((Like "*?@?*.com") Or (Like "*?@?*.org") Or (Like "*?@?*.net") Or (Like "*?@?*.mil") Or (Like "*?@?*.US") And (Not Like "*[ ,;]*" And Not Like "*.@*")) ...but noticed I was able to input .@any.com ... e.g., I was trying to prevent user typing a .@ [that is a dot@] using the ... And Not Like "*.@*")) .. but it must be getting cancelled out by something previous in the validation string. Any suggestions? You could use a routine such as: P...

Refer to seperate workbook for validation list for drop downs?
Id like to keep my validation data for drop downs in a seperate workbook so that many users/worksheets can reference it. However- data validation doesnt seem to let me reference named ranges in a seperate workbook- any advise out there? -- Dee Visit Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html But take note that the other workbook has to be open. Dee wrote: > > Id like to keep my validation data for drop downs in a seperate workbook so > that many users/worksheets can reference it. However- data validation doesnt > seem to let me reference named r...

Data Validation: Validate Specific Day of the Week?
Users will enter a date in cell D6. The date they enter must be a Monday. How can I validate for that? Thanks, -Ted I entered dates in E1:E10. I selected E1 In the Data | Validation dialog, I used Custom and entered =WEEKDAY(E1)=2 I selected all the dates and opened Data | Validation; it offered to apply the validation to all the cells Done best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Ted" <ted.gallagher@gmail.com> wrote in message news:#o$yRC6vKHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Users will enter a date in ce...

HUGE performance issue when upgraded to version 9
Just upgraded test to version 9. My laptop install and citrix are identical and logging into Dynamics is same (same DSN setup, same Dyn User ID used, same company logging into, same sql server that both workstations using, same set file, same dex.ini files, same everything): Citrix (quad processor with 2GB RAM, Win 2k SP#4,no users accessing this server): 157 seconds to completely log into company. My laptop (single processor, Windows xp, 1Gb RAM): 10 seconds to completely login This is such a huge drop that as of now, unusable to us. If sql and hardware, Dyn security etc is taken ...

9.0.4053--where is it?
Hello: I know that the security update that makes SQL 2005 be version 9.0.4053 is just that--an update. But, where can you go to download this? I can find the URL anywhere. childofthe1980s Go to: http://sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.com/ Under Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Builds they have links to the relevant MS download sites. The 9.0.4053 link is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970892/ "childofthe1980s" <childofthe1980s@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE40409F-F515-426E-AB47-AEBA3353C377@microsoft.com... > Hello: > > I know...

Data validation for 2 valid values
I want a cell to allow only 2 valid values but not have a drop-down list appear. How do I do that with Data->Validation? Data>validation>allow>list, put the 2 values separated by a comma in the source box, uncheck in cell dropdown -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Hall" <hall@garp.org> wrote in message news:ujuB%23w52DHA.2000@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I want a cell to allow only 2 valid values but not have a drop-down list > appear. > > How do I do that with Data->Validation? > > Using a list, as Peo suggested, will force users to match the ...