validating macro

Hi

I am sending a spread sheet out to branchs I need them to
complete a sheet (common info) before they do anything
else on the workbook. I am looking for a macro or code for
VBA which who check (common info) see if the cells are
complete if not bring up a error screen informing the user
to complete the form and then take them straight to the
(common info) sheet. and if possible let them go to the
tab which they want to go to.

0
anonymous (74719)

Use an extended version of something along these lines:
(if there are lots of cells use a 'for row numbers x to y'
or 'do until' statment, otherwise just repeat the first if.

If Sheets("common info").range("A2").value = "" then
 msgbox"You have not completed all information!"
 Sheets("common info").range("A2").select
exit sub

else
sheets("Next sheet to see").select
endif

0
anonymous (74719)

Msgbox entry validation
The following Macro will not loop more than twice the error entries. Will someone help me correct it to loop indefinely? Thanks Sub Entry_validation() Dim Teststring As String Dim Inputstring As String Cells(1, 1) = "ABC" 'as given filename Cells(2, 1) = "DEF" 'as given filename Cells(3, 1) = "GHI" 'as given filename Cells(4, 1) = "JKL" 'as given filename errorloop: Inputstring = InputBox(prompt:="Enter Filename" & vbLf & "Enter abort to abort en...

Attachng a Macro to a worksheet/book
I have created a spreadsheet that contains a macro to perform certain calcuations and functions. However, it ony works on my PC. If I send it via email to someone else to use I get a message stating that "The macros in this Project are Disabled" However, when I go into Tools, Macros and Run Macro, I can see it, but it will not run it? Any ideas? Hi ezeetyger! Sounds like the security settings in the other person's computer are set to high. Use: Tools > Macro > Security Set to Medium (gives a choice on opening a book with macros in it) Set to Low (allows all macros) ...

Data Validation -> Validation list is larger than the cell width
I have a workbook that I've just added data validation to one cell. FWIW, the data validation is based on a named range. Here's the (perceived) problem. When I've set up data validation in the past, the selection is the same width as the cell. In this case, the list starts almost a full cell width to the left. What am I missing? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Barb, In Excel2003 I can replicate what you describe under the following conditions: 1. the named range contains entries that are wider than the data validation cell 2. The data validation cell is r...

Macros and security
I have check boxes in my excel sheet. When I click a box and save as (I think enabeling macros), the next time I open it, I cannot change the check unless I first go to the now appearing options and click enable. I tried to play with the Trust Center and macro settings but cannot get it right. Thanks! ...

Validating against a DTD
Hello All, I am trying to validate an xml file against a DTD. I went through a lot of examples especially: http://www.xmlforasp.net/codebank/util/srcview.aspx?path=../../codebank/System_Xml/XmlValidatingReader/Validator/validator.src&file=validator.cs&font=3 but its not working in my case. First of all, when i try to add my DTD file in XmlSchemaCollection object, it throws an error saying DocType element is expected. I am using NITF DTD for this and there is no DocType element in it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. VD You should not add DTDs to XmlSchemaCollection. XmlSchema...

Insert Comment Macro
Hello, Group I tried to use the macro recorder in Excel 2003 to create a macro to insert a short comment in the active cell. I keep getting a "run time error 1004", which is an application-defined or object-defined error according to the dialog box that pops up. Would anyone please show me the VBA code I need to insert the text "late assignment" into a new comment in the currently active cell, and then exit the comment box to return to the same cell? Thank you very much in advance! Hi Jim, The only time I had this error was when I tried to resize the comment b...

Data Validation
Hi all I want to set data validation on a cell so that it will accept the following (and only the following) text strings: (1) "BR" (literally) or (2) "NT" (literally) or (3) "nA" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take any of the values "L", "P", "T", "V" or "Y" or (4) "An" where n is any positive integral numerical value including zero and A may take either of the values "K" or "D". Is this possible, please, and if so how? thanks -- Return e...

Macro to reference to a cell in indiv sheets
Hi, I have a column A that lists the name of all the sheets in my workbook. I'd like to have column B equals to cell C10 of the corresponding sheets in column A. I already have a macro to list all the sheets in my workbook so I'd like this macro to update column B at the same time I run the macro. Thanks! Val One way: Assuming your worksheet list starts in A2: You could do this without macros by entering: B2: =IF(A2<>"",INDIRECT("'" & A2 & "'!C10),"") and copying down as far as necessary. If your concern is havi...

Validation dropdown list is not coming visible
Hi, I'm using XP and 2003. I have a problem that I have once found resolution, but now it came again and cannot remember what needs to be done. Here is the problem: There is a column where Validation is specified in right manner with error message in case of error. When selecting the cell - dropdown list is not coming visible. In case I write something wrong it gives error message. If I recall correctly - it was something to do with some kind of list. How can I change this to work properly? I tried to paste new column from another file where the column is working as I want...

Macro for deleting rows and serialising the remaing rows
Macro for deleting rows and serialising the remaing rows ==================================================== I have a spread sheet It's a ToDo List The structure is like this Column A Sl No Column B Task Column C Person Column D Completed To start with I keep entering the tasks in one stretch and take a print out. The first Column (A) will be a serialized. I wil be using this print out for few days. After two/three days, I would like to open the spread sheet and enter fresh tasks For all completed tasks I put x in Col D. What I currently require is a macro to 1.. R...

reinstall-validation problem
Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over. All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I notice it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself during one of the boots and I think little of it until ... During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my laptop figured I just download it. When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let it, at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, g...

Dynamic macro's #2
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Well, the user will select a complete row (1 or 2 or 3 or ....) an based upon that, the program should do the code as described for 3, bu for that particular row. For instance, if he selects the row 8, the code should be: Dim appWD As Word.Application ' Create a new instance of Word & make it visible Set appWD = CreateObject("Word.Application.8") appWD.Visible = True Sheets("Template").Select Range("A8").Copy Sheets("Data").Select Range("B3").Select Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNo...

Validation
Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the combobox alone. Thank again Please stay in the ORIGINAL thread. The archives will thank you. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "JLong" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c49c3b$889b5020$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Julie the same can be achieve without going thru the > double drop down boxes. You could do it just using the > combobox alone. Thank again ...

Data Validation
I have set up a data form and have data validation rules on the various input cells. I see that there is an option called "Ignore blanks" in the data validation settings, which is supposed to restrict someone from entering past an input cell without entering valid data, if the "Ignore blanks" box is unchecked. I have tried to do this, but it does not seem to work. Please could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Provide information, or better yet, a screen capture of the Data Validation dialog box with the Setting tab selected (User ALT+PrintScreen to copy the imag...

Macro to insert blank line with formula
I need a macro that will insert an extra blank line that includes a *total* formula in the last column. Simple if u know how, im sure :) Can anyone help me out plz? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Sharlene , Simple, if you explain it better. How is your data arranged? What do you want to total? What is the logic for where to insert the blank line? That said, below is one way, based on the current cell's current region. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP Sub SharleneInsert() With ActiveCell.CurrentRegion .Cells(.Rows.Count + 1, 1).EntireRow.Insert .Cells(.Rows.Count...

Recording a macro
I have a macro that I want to appear on two lines. When I record and then pay it back, only the first line appears. How do I record it so that both lines appear (one over the other). -- SHARON Multi-posting not required and just serves to fragment answers. All the regulars read all the news groups. See answer to your post in public.excel.misc group Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:16:10 -0700, Sharon <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a macro that I want to appear on two lines. When I record and then >pay it back, only the first line app...

validating macro
Hi I am sending a spread sheet out to branchs I need them to complete a sheet (common info) before they do anything else on the workbook. I am looking for a macro or code for VBA which who check (common info) see if the cells are complete if not bring up a error screen informing the user to complete the form and then take them straight to the (common info) sheet. and if possible let them go to the tab which they want to go to. Use an extended version of something along these lines: (if there are lots of cells use a 'for row numbers x to y' or 'do until' statment, o...

Reboot Validator
I'm running XP Pro, SP3. Attempting to install a program from Nero. Software keeps failing at startup, despite numerous re-installs. During installs, it keeps attempting to update the 'reboot validator' which it does not seem to be able to do. What is the reboot validator, and how do I update it. Couldn't find anything useful on MS site and Nero Tech support just says its an MS problem. -- Thank you, B. Parker Never heard of it but Nero Support should know about it: Reboot Validator appears to be a Nero component; cf. http://www.brighthub.com/comput...

Macros
Any information regarding the following would be greatly appreciated: How to formulate a macro for ever expanding worksheets. #1. A summary worksheet which is constantly being updated and would like to input this same data on individual worksheets. #2. Would like to summarize monthly data only, not entire worksheet. i.e. although the data would include Jan results, I would like to summarize Feb only and hide Jan. ...

Macro command to turn on File Menu
Hi all, I have hidden the MENU BAR using a macro command on purpose. For the user to 'save/save as' his work, I plan to have a button on that worksheet. The user can open the FILE menu, using that button when pressed. Can someone suggest a macro command for that button to work the way I plan it to be if it is possible. Thank you so much. Zainuddin Z One way is to just show the File|Save as dialog. Option Explicit Sub testme() Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show End Sub Zainuddin Zakaria wrote: > > Hi all, > > I have hidden the MENU BAR using a mac...

Calculating actual login hrs in excel using macro or formula
Hi, Can any one help me with this problem. I have this data with me whic is given below. I want to calculate actual login hrs for this agent wh is doing chats with multiple IDS i.e. Monika, catherine, nicole i.e. for how much time this agent was not doing chats with any of thre IDS. Agent Start time End time Duration Monika 2:05:11 AM 2:26:34 AM 0:21:23 Catherine 2:23:51 AM 3:30:47 AM 1:06:56 Monika 2:27:54 AM 2:33:05 AM 0:05:11 Monika 3:14:16 AM 3:30:06 AM 0:15:50 Monika 3:41:55 AM 3:47:02 AM 0:05:07 Monika 3:54:10 AM 4:24:03 AM 0:29:53 Catherine 4:1...

Help with data type in macro
Hi, I have a column where default value is empty which gets updated as new values are updated in other column. I have a piece of code which compares the value of each cell in this column to see if it is not 0 and then does some execution. Here is a snippet: read1 = 2 While Sheet6.Range("AA" + CStr(read1)).Value <> 0 read1 = read1 + 1 Wend Now if I change the default values in this column to #N/A and change the code to read1 = 2 While Sheet6.Range("AA" + CStr(read1)).Value <> "#N/A" read1 = read1 + 1 Wend it is giving type mismatch error at l...

Conditional validation?
Hello All I have a sheet that is essentially just columns of data (except for the column headings in the first row), and two of the columns are what I would call 'mutually exclusive': i.e. if a value is entered in a row in either column, the user must be prevented from entering any value in the same row of the other column. The two columns already have some basic validation applied (ranges of permissable numerical values), and this validation would need to be applied for any values that are entered. I am sure this can be done, but cannot see how! Hope someone can help. Many thanks L...

Running multiple macros one after other?
Hi, I am trying to run multiple macros at an event. After button click, I am writing following code - getfile ("Select first macro to run ", MACROFILE, file1); getfile ("Select second macro to run", MACROFILE, file2); run macro file1; run macro file2; I have tested both the macros and individually they run great. But for some reason they are not running one after the other. The second macro is running before first one. Why is that? What will happen if I want another macro in this sequence? Do I need to run them like - run macro 3; run macro 2; run macro 1; Thank...

Macro for charting across sheets
Hi! Excel 2000: Have some 50 identical tables on different sheets (Table_1 ..Table_50). Trying to make a macro that creates same type of pie chart for each. Unable to make one work across sheets. Anyone know a way ? (Pasting in my recorded one below) Search and replace the name "Table_1" before each run works, but... New to macros. Please help. // Sub Make_pie_cht() Range("A5:D5,A2:D2").Select Range("A2").Activate Charts.Add ActiveChart.ChartType = xlPie ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Table_1").Range(&quo...