Using the digits from a time

Hi,

I'm extracting a number from a SQL Server database which represents an
average time.  I store this in a cell formatted in Time format e.g.
03:10.00

What I need to do is to be able to read the digits to put into another
cell in number format e.g. 3.1

Haven't been able to find any examples of doing this type of thing so
would appreciate any help, or pointers in the right direction?

Cheers,
Paul
0
p_barlow1 (2)

A time formatted cell actually contains a "part day".  For example, enter .5
in a cell and time format it.  You should see 12 Noon in the cell.

So to convert from part day to hours multiply by 24.  To convert from part
day to minutes multiply by 24*60.  If you put a formula in another cell to
do this, be sure to change its number format to Number, else Excel will use
Time format, which will not give you what you want.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

0
jrrech (1933)
8/21/2003 12:09:47 PM
"Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<eDUdf09ZDHA.1492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> A time formatted cell actually contains a "part day".  For example, enter .5
> in a cell and time format it.  You should see 12 Noon in the cell.
>
> So to convert from part day to hours multiply by 24.  To convert from part
> day to minutes multiply by 24*60.  If you put a formula in another cell to
> do this, be sure to change its number format to Number, else Excel will use
> Time format, which will not give you what you want.

I think I might have confused you slighty, or i'm reading your reply
wrong?!

Say I have a time formatted cell which contains 0:02:24, I take this
too mean 2 minutes and 24 seconds.  At the moment I would manually
type in 2.24 to a number formatted cell, just the way the spreadsheet
I have to use is set up.  What I would like if possible is some sort
of vba code, excel funtionality that would allow me to do this
automatically i.e. to strip the digits from the time formatted cell
and rebuild them as a number?  Is this possible?

Cheers,
Paul
0
p_barlow1 (2)
8/22/2003 11:30:58 AM
On 22 Aug 2003 04:30:58 -0700, p_barlow1@hotmail.com (Paul Barlow) wrote:

>"Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<eDUdf09ZDHA.1492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
>> A time formatted cell actually contains a "part day".  For example, enter .5
>> in a cell and time format it.  You should see 12 Noon in the cell.
>>
>> So to convert from part day to hours multiply by 24.  To convert from part
>> day to minutes multiply by 24*60.  If you put a formula in another cell to
>> do this, be sure to change its number format to Number, else Excel will use
>> Time format, which will not give you what you want.
>
>I think I might have confused you slighty, or i'm reading your reply
>wrong?!
>
>Say I have a time formatted cell which contains 0:02:24, I take this
>too mean 2 minutes and 24 seconds.  At the moment I would manually
>type in 2.24 to a number formatted cell, just the way the spreadsheet
>I have to use is set up.  What I would like if possible is some sort
>of vba code, excel funtionality that would allow me to do this
>automatically i.e. to strip the digits from the time formatted cell
>and rebuild them as a number?  Is this possible?

To change excel time into a decimal number, with the portion to the right of
the decimal indicating the number of seconds, then you can use the formula:

 =DOLLARFR(Excel_Time*1440,60)

If the DOLLARFR function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error,
install and load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
8/22/2003 12:21:09 PM
I'm sure you know that 0:02:24 is 2.4 minutes not 2.24.  Still if you want
to select a time formatted cell and run a macro that puts the that time in
your format in the cell to the right, here's an example macro:

Sub Time2Num()
With ActiveCell
    .Offset(0, 1).Value = Minute(.Value) & "." & Second(.Value)
End With
End Sub

Adjust this as needed.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

0
jrrech (1933)

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Add times, convert to number not time of day?
Okay, this should be pretty simple. 17:24:00 + 00:24:00 = 7 5:00 PM + 9:30 PM = 4.5 That's what i'm trying to achieve. A start time, a finish time, and the time it took between them. Not a clock time of 5pm + 9pm = 2am How can this be done? thanks, Benjamin i forgot, i might want to add this in. I did this: a1 - 9:30 a2 - 10:00 a3 = a2-a1 the result is .02 ??? =MOD(B1-A1,1) format as hh:mm or [h]:mm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "spezticle" <spezticle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7093FF53-BA3B-4003-B4D3-65941455C6FB@microsoft.com... >...

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Sending a message at a later time
I would like to know how I could send my messges at a later time. How would I go by doing so. 1.. On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard, and then click New. 2.. In the Which type of rule do you want to create list, click Check messages after sending, and then click Next. 3.. Click Next to have this rule apply to all messages, or, if you want to limit the messages that the rule applies to, in the Which condition(s) do you want to check list, select any options you want. 4.. In the What do you want to do with the message list, select defer delivery by a number of minutes. (Deliver...

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

vista time problem
hi, since doing a re-install of the vista home premium os on my laptop yesterday i have had to constantly reset the time it goes back 1 hr every hour i have reset the time in the bios ,and made sure the time zone is correct and tried different time servers any help much appreciated -- martyb "marty" <marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B25E40C0-5DE5-45ED-8A8F-224C3BFBA2B8@microsoft.com... > hi, since doing a re-install of the vista home premium os on my laptop > yesterday i have had to constantly reset the time > it goes back 1 h...

What do you use Excel for?

prompting to save workbook every time (even when no changes made)
i have 3 workbooks all very similar and every single time i open any o them, even when not changing anything, i am prompted to save th thing. its so bad that i can literally open the workbook then click the clos button straight away and it STILL prompts me to save it because i seems to think something has changed. as far as i can see i dont have any macros or anything that will ru every time it starts and change something (i did have a = today in on cell which kept the date as today but taking this out made n difference -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Neowok! You prob...

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...

How do I used the outlook?
I don't know my microsoft exchange sever so I can't put in the right user name. What should I do? Version of Outlook? Close outlook. Go to control panel, mail and delete the current profile and make a new profile - Choose the correct account type - for most people its POP3, but could be IMAP. If you need more assistance with this we need to know the version of Outlook and who your email provider is. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:daily...

How do I indicate a time buffer around an appointment?
I use my Outlook calendar to manage appointments on the road. Is tehre any way to record the appointment time as, say, 10:30 am, but leave a time buffer of 30 mins travel so that another appointment canot be put any closer than this buffer (i.e. finish by 10am) "Andrew Baylis" <Andrew Baylis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8400A32-8C0A-494E-A8E8-8091AC1EA9B2@microsoft.com... >I use my Outlook calendar to manage appointments on the road. Is tehre any > way to record the appointment time as, say, 10:30 am, but leave a time > buffer >...