Using Self Certify Digital ID with Shared Files

You can use the MS Self Certification utility to create a
Digital ID to share macro enabled files with other XL
users, even those running at high security.  Here's how:

File Originator:
1.	Run c:\program files\OfficeXP\Office10
\selfcert.exe (if file not found, use add/remove on
MSOffice, it's in Office Tools)
2.	Enter a name (eg John Doe, ACME Corp)
3.	Open XL file you want to certify and open up VBE
4.	Go Tools|Digital Signature
5.	Click Choose
6.	You should see the name of the cert that you just
created on this list.  Select it then click OK, then OK
again
7.	Save and Close file

Users:
When security is on Medium or even High
1.	When the user tries to open the file they will
get the Security Warning dialog box with "Always Trust
Macros From This Source" grayed out.
2.	Click Details
3.	Click View Certificate
4.	Click Install Certificate
5.	Next, Next, Finished, then say Yes to add
certificate to Root Store
6.	Click OK, OK, OK, then Disable Macro and the file
will open
7.	Close file
8.	Open file again, this time "Always Trust Macro
From This Source" is not grayed out.  Check off this box,
then say Enable Macro.  From now on you can open any
signed Office file from this user without any prompts : )

I have not found this procedure in any documentation,
just found it myself.

Warning:  I have not found a way to uninstall Digital
Signatures from a machine and it seems to me that there
is a very slight performance hit on file saves once
installed.

Note:  Developer can only create this Digi ID from this
PC.

0
twkeyes (1)

Tom

To delete DC's from the computer you must use the Microsoft Management
Console(mmc).

Start>Run "mmc"(no quotes)>File>Add/Remove Snap-in.

Add>Certificates>Current User>Add>OK

After the Certificates Snap-in loads expand it and click on "Personal".

Delete any you don't want from the list.

This KB article is for Windows 2000 server, but I found it works for Windows
XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310389

BTW:  if you go to Help>Answer Wizard and type in "self cert" or
"certificates" you will get some help on DC's

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:43:17 -0700, "Tom" <twkeyes@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You can use the MS Self Certification utility to create a
>Digital ID to share macro enabled files with other XL
>users, even those running at high security.  Here's how:
>
>File Originator:
>1.	Run c:\program files\OfficeXP\Office10
>\selfcert.exe (if file not found, use add/remove on
>MSOffice, it's in Office Tools)
>2.	Enter a name (eg John Doe, ACME Corp)
>3.	Open XL file you want to certify and open up VBE
>4.	Go Tools|Digital Signature
>5.	Click Choose
>6.	You should see the name of the cert that you just
>created on this list.  Select it then click OK, then OK
>again
>7.	Save and Close file
>
>Users:
>When security is on Medium or even High
>1.	When the user tries to open the file they will
>get the Security Warning dialog box with "Always Trust
>Macros From This Source" grayed out.
>2.	Click Details
>3.	Click View Certificate
>4.	Click Install Certificate
>5.	Next, Next, Finished, then say Yes to add
>certificate to Root Store
>6.	Click OK, OK, OK, then Disable Macro and the file
>will open
>7.	Close file
>8.	Open file again, this time "Always Trust Macro
>From This Source" is not grayed out.  Check off this box,
>then say Enable Macro.  From now on you can open any
>signed Office file from this user without any prompts : )
>
>I have not found this procedure in any documentation,
>just found it myself.
>
>Warning:  I have not found a way to uninstall Digital
>Signatures from a machine and it seems to me that there
>is a very slight performance hit on file saves once
>installed.
>
>Note:  Developer can only create this Digi ID from this
>PC.

0
Gord

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

Is there a way to export and save file properties for an Excel do.
Can this be done either in text or XML? ...

using forms

XmlTextReader and 2GB file limit
Are there any work arounds to get XmlTextReader to work with files bigger than 2GB? I tried to get the source of XmlTextReader and create a version with long (instead of int) offsets but I can't compile it due to package restrictions. Best wishes, Hugh McFadden hugh.mcfadden@visiongain.com Hugh McFadden wrote: > Are there any work arounds to get XmlTextReader to work with files bigger > than 2GB? I tried to get the source of XmlTextReader and create a version > with long (instead of int) offsets but I can't compile it due to package > restrictions. Sorry for lame qu...

Using Spanish on Publisher

System Files
Hello, I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP Professional CD. I am trying to create a bootable cd. Please advise. -- Mike Jessica@aol.com wrote: > Hello, > > I am trying to locate the boot.ini file on the Windows XP Professional CD. I > am trying to create a bootable cd. > > Please advise. First of all, I'll have to admit, I've never made a bootable CD from scratch myself. These are just a few bits and pieces I've noticed along the way. It is not simply a matter of "throwing" some files onto a CD. http...

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Snapshot Viewer will not open .snp file
We have a client that sends us .snp files as email attachments. We have Office 2007 installed on new Windows XP PCs. We have the Snapshot Viewer installed. When we attempt to open an .snp file, either from email or after saving attachment to the desktop, all we get is a blank Snapshot Viewer window. If we re-install the Shapshot Viewer we can then open one .snp file and then it reverts back to opening with a blank viewer window for subsequent ..snp files that are opened. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Susie Install a different Printer Driver for the workstations exhibiting ...

Display As = File as & (address in parens)
I just moved all my contacts into a new .pst file (I'm using OL 2003) and something changed. I USED TO have "Display As" show only the person's name, and not the person's name PLUS the email address in parens as the default does. In other words, default would show "JOHN SMITH (johnsmith@aol.com)". But when I created all those entries, I changed them to show only "JOHN SMITH". In my new file, Outlook has changed all my "Display As" entries to the default: name AND email address. It's not how I want it, so I'm hoping there'...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Allow temporarily use of right click

Read value in txt file
Hello to everybody I would like to read a value in a txt file. For example, the value will following the egual sign. So I want to look for language and get "fr" as value. language = fr country = france Thank you by advance and have a nice day. <bcastaing@gmail.com> said this in news item news:389dabc3-ca3b-440b-b55a-a93ca9221025@w16g2000yqw.googlegroups.com... > Hello to everybody > > I would like to read a value in a txt file. For example, the value > will following the egual sign. So I want to look for language and get > "fr"...

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...

Issues of sharing workbooks
Hi all, When I make the workbook shareable, I found that I cannot use certain features like "Advanced Filter". Why is that, and any workaround?? Use Help and search with word "share" The item "Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks" is informative Tells "what" cannot be done with shared ws; as to "why" you would need to ask Bill Gates. -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Frederick Chow" <PleaseRemoveThishkmusc@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O3aspviEGHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP10...