Using lookup to copy values from a master to client worksheet

If I have a columns of data in a spreadsheet with, say, a name in the fist
column, is it possible to create 'client' spreadsheets which contain only
rows with a particular name ? So the 'Master' sheet has many rows for each
name but the 'client' sheet has only entries for a particular name ?

Any help or pointers much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi
I would use 'Data - filter - Advanced Filter' for this

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Malcolm Hind" <m.hindNOSPAM@btinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> If I have a columns of data in a spreadsheet with, say, a name in the
fist
> column, is it possible to create 'client' spreadsheets which contain
only
> rows with a particular name ? So the 'Master' sheet has many rows for
each
> name but the 'client' sheet has only entries for a particular name ?
>
> Any help or pointers much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/1/2004 4:10:37 PM
Am I right in thinking this would just allow me to manually select and
copy them ? I would like it to be automatic if that were possible. Thanks
very much for the reply.

Ken

"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in news:#8PCaE9pEHA.2948
@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

> Hi
> I would use 'Data - filter - Advanced Filter' for this
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "Malcolm Hind" <m.hindNOSPAM@btinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> If I have a columns of data in a spreadsheet with, say, a name in the
> fist
>> column, is it possible to create 'client' spreadsheets which contain
> only
>> rows with a particular name ? So the 'Master' sheet has many rows for
> each
>> name but the 'client' sheet has only entries for a particular name ?
>>
>> Any help or pointers much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks

Hi
this is possible with formulas but if your master sheet has a lot of
rows this would slow your file down. Excel is not designed for this
kind of database application :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Ken Frost wrote:
> Am I right in thinking this would just allow me to manually select
and
> copy them ? I would like it to be automatic if that were possible.
> Thanks very much for the reply.
>
> Ken
>

> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in news:#8PCaE9pEHA.2948
> @TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:
>
>> Hi
>> I would use 'Data - filter - Advanced Filter' for this
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>
>> "Malcolm Hind" <m.hindNOSPAM@btinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> If I have a columns of data in a spreadsheet with, say, a name in
>>> the fist column, is it possible to create 'client' spreadsheets
>>> which contain only rows with a particular name ? So the 'Master'
>>> sheet has many rows for each name but the 'client' sheet has only
>>> entries for a particular name ?
>>>
>>> Any help or pointers much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/2/2004 9:01:33 AM
You could automate the Advanced filter.

Debra Dalgleish has some sample workbooks at:

Look for:

Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
Master sheet to individual worksheets -- creates a list of unique items,
creates a sheet for each item, then replaces old data with current.
AdvFilterCity.xls 46 kb

and

Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote ...

> Excel is not designed for this
> kind of database application :-)

Questionable, to say the least. One may use ADO to access databases.
The OLE DB provider for Jet has been given the capability to query
Excel data. There are article on MSDN telling how to query Excel data
using ADO and OLEDB. If Frank Kabel is not designed for this
kind of application, just say so ;-)

Option Explicit

Sub test()
CopyToNewWorksheet "Master", "client"
End Sub

Private Function CopyToNewWorksheet( _
    ByVal SheetName As String, _
    Optional ByVal NewSheetName As String _
) As Boolean

Dim wb As Excel.Workbook
Dim ws As Excel.Worksheet
Dim Target As Excel.Range
Dim Con As Object
Dim rs As Object
Dim strCon As String
Dim strPath As String
Dim strSql1 As String
Dim lngCounter As Long

' Review the following constant:
Const FILENAME_XL_TEMP As String = "" & _
    "delete_me.xls"

Const TABLE_XL_TEMP As String = "" & _
    "test_only"

Const SQL As String = "" & _
    "SELECT * FROM [<SHEET_NAME>$] WHERE MyName='Hind';"

' Do NOT amend the following constants
Const CONN_STRING As String = "" & _
    "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
    "Data Source=<PATH><FILENAME>;" & _
    "Extended Properties='Excel 8.0;HDR=YES'"

' Build connection string
strPath = ThisWorkbook.Path & _
    Application.PathSeparator

strCon = CONN_STRING
strCon = Replace(strCon, _
    "<PATH>", strPath)
strCon = Replace(strCon, _
    "<FILENAME>", FILENAME_XL_TEMP)

' Build sql statement
strSql1 = SQL
strSql1 = Replace(strSql1, _
    "<SHEET_NAME>", TABLE_XL_TEMP)

' Delete old instance of temp workbook
On Error Resume Next
Kill strPath & FILENAME_XL_TEMP
On Error GoTo 0

' Save copy of worksheet to temp workbook
Set wb = Excel.Application.Workbooks.Add()
With wb
  ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(SheetName). _
      Copy .Worksheets(1)
  .Worksheets(1).Name = TABLE_XL_TEMP
  .SaveAs strPath & FILENAME_XL_TEMP
  .Close
End With

' Open connection to temp workbook
Set Con = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
With Con
  .ConnectionString = strCon
  .Open

  Set rs = .Execute(strSql1)
End With

Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Add
With ws
  If Len(NewSheetName) > 0 Then
    .Name = NewSheetName
  End If
  Set Target = .Range("A1")
End With

With rs
  For lngCounter = 1 To .fields.Count
    Target(1, lngCounter).Value = _
        .fields(lngCounter - 1).Name
  Next
End With

Target(2, 1).CopyFromRecordset rs

Con.Close

CopyToNewWorksheet = True

End Function

Jamie.

jamiecollins (192)
10/4/2004 11:25:42 AM
Hi Jamie
:-)
Agree with you that one could use ADO for this. But I personally think
Excel should not be used for database like application as it lacks a
lot of standard DB functionality. ;-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Jamie Collins wrote:
> [...]
> strCon = Replace(strCon, _
>     "<PATH>", strPath)
> strCon = Replace(strCon, _
>     "<FILENAME>", FILENAME_XL_TEMP)
>
> ' Build sql statement
> strSql1 = SQL
> strSql1 = Replace(strSql1, _
>     "<SHEET_NAME>", TABLE_XL_TEMP)
>
> ' Delete old instance of temp workbook
> On Error Resume Next
> Kill strPath & FILENAME_XL_TEMP
> On Error GoTo 0
>
> ' Save copy of worksheet to temp workbook
> Set wb = Excel.Application.Workbooks.Add()
> With wb
>   ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(SheetName). _
>       Copy .Worksheets(1)
>   .Worksheets(1).Name = TABLE_XL_TEMP
>   .SaveAs strPath & FILENAME_XL_TEMP
>   .Close
> End With
>
> ' Open connection to temp workbook
> Set Con = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/4/2004 12:32:00 PM
Thank you all very much -

Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in news:415EB339.1E76A94C@msn.com:

> http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html

"Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote ...

> Hi Jamie
> :-)
> Agree with you that one could use ADO for this. But I personally think
> Excel should not be used for database like application as it lacks a
> lot of standard DB functionality. ;-)

:-) Of course: Excel has only approximations to data typing,
constraints, DRI, multi-user, etc. However, in terms of *querying*
existing Excel data, using sql often makes a lot more sense than the
alternatives (Autofilter, VLOOKUP, SUMPRODUCT, array formulas, VBA to
loop through cells, etc).

Jamie.

jamiecollins (192)

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Multiple Worksheet
I'm not sure how to explain this, but here we go. I have a workbook w/ multiple worksheets. The first worksheet is titled ALL. This includes all information from other worksheets. How can I have certain information transfer to other worksheets by recognizing initials? Basically if the "All" worksheet has has an S listed it - can I transfer to worksheet titled Scott w/o the beating of copy and paste? Thanks in advance. -- bonzai18 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bonzai18's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=g...

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Change range based on value of a cell
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to count from D1:G1. I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above. Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to repl...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Find values of properties of checkbox
How do you find the values of a property (such as whether or not they are checked) when the check boxes have been created on the fly? Any help would be much appreciated! *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Mike P" <mike.parr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OBhh2ds4KHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > How do you find the values of a property (such as whether or not they > are checked) when the check boxes have been created on the fly? Is it a Web or WinForms application? If you did not keep a Reference to the checkboxe...

Using secured OMA

Collecting Range Name values to VBA
I have a worksheet "Setup" where users type in a date in a cell named "ChtDte" and a path and database name in a cell named "FLName". I am using DOA to connect to a database and return a record set. The query used "qryCOCostwRates" uses a date paramater. Because this sheet will be used by several users all pointing to the database in different locations, I need to know where they have the database. I need to get the values in these two range names in the setup tab of the spreadsheet so I can connect to the data, and provide a value for ...

Refresh data in Protected worksheet
Does the work sheet protection work properly when refreshing data from access. I have the range I want to refresh Unlocked and unhidden and the rest of the worksheet protected, but when i refresh it tells me the worksheet is protected and I cant refresh. Is there something I'm missing or is this a shortcoming of worksheet protection? KT just hazarding two guesses. are you talking about a macro that does it? if so... are you providing a password to unprotect before you refresh the data? ActiveSheet.Unprotect "password" 'your refresh code would go after the above sta...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Recalc of SUM() that refers to a cell across a range of worksheets
I'm using Excel 2003 w/ SP2 and have encountered a problem I don't recall having before. I have a workbook where a summary sheet is used to aggregate the values in each of the cells in the rest of the sheets by using a formula with following syntax: =sum('sheet1:sheetx'!Cn), where "sheet1" is the name of the first sheet in the range of contiguous sheets, "sheetx" is the name of the last sheet in that range, "C" is the pertinent column letter for a cell (the columns in this workbook represent years) and "n" is the pertinent row numb...

Allow temporarily use of right click

Read value in txt file
Hello to everybody I would like to read a value in a txt file. For example, the value will following the egual sign. So I want to look for language and get "fr" as value. language = fr country = france Thank you by advance and have a nice day. <bcastaing@gmail.com> said this in news item news:389dabc3-ca3b-440b-b55a-a93ca9221025@w16g2000yqw.googlegroups.com... > Hello to everybody > > I would like to read a value in a txt file. For example, the value > will following the egual sign. So I want to look for language and get > "fr"...

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...

Copy entire work book
I am using XL2000 SP3, and I need to copy an entire workbook of 96 worksheets, but with values only. Is there some way to do this all at once. thanks Daniel > Is there some way to do this all at once. Couldn't you just group all the sheets? Then select all (CTRL+A)? Then copy & paste special (values)? And Save As? HTH, Andy "Andy Brown" <andy.j.brown@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:ObWQuZTtDHA.3236@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > Is there some way to do this all at once. > > Couldn't you just group all the sheets? Then select all (CTRL+A)? ...