Using LastCell value in VBA code

Good Morning.

Using Office 2003

I am trying to:

1) Locate the last cell imported data.
2) Copy a formula in G2 for all G cells to the end of data (G1 contains field names)

To get the last cell of data, I used Edit>GoTo>Special>Last Cell

In the code below, I attempted to insert the value of the last cell into a
Range("G1:xxxxx).Select to do a paste of G2.formula.

My attempt did not work.

I am sure there is a better way.

Help please!  TIA

Dennis

Sub FindLastCell()     ' Partial code below

[OK]	Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Select
[Bad]	Range("G3:" & Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Select).Select

End Sub

One way:

  Range("G3", Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell)).Select

When you used the &, the compiler interprets this as wanting to
concatenate "G3:" and the default property of the last cell (i.e., the
value), and select that range. Unless the last cell contains a valid
cell address, it will throw an error.

Note that you almost never need to select *any* range - using the range
objects directly make for smaller, faster, and, IMO, more easily
maintained code. For instance, to copy the formula in G2 to the last
filled cell in column G:

    Range("G2").AutoFill _
            Destination:=Range("G2:G" & _
                  Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row), _
            Type:=xlFillCopy

Note that this assumes that the cell in column A will be filled for the
last row with data. Pick a different column if desired.

In article <qccn10d1uifrnbikrsdt8p2pfmro9uj89f@4ax.com>,
 Dennis <dmburgess@removespamameritech.net> wrote:

> Good Morning.
>
> Using Office 2003
>
> I am trying to:
>
> 1) Locate the last cell imported data.
> 2) Copy a formula in G2 for all G cells to the end of data (G1 contains field
> names)
>
> To get the last cell of data, I used Edit>GoTo>Special>Last Cell
>
> In the code below, I attempted to insert the value of the last cell into a
> Range("G1:xxxxx).Select to do a paste of G2.formula.
>
> My attempt did not work.
>
> I am sure there is a better way.
>
> Help please!  TIA
>
> Dennis
>
> Sub FindLastCell()     ' Partial code below
>
> [OK]	Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Select
> [Bad]	Range("G3:" & Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Select).Select
>
> End Sub
0
jemcgimpsey1 (104)
1/31/2004 2:19:43 PM
As you already know, it works fine!

Thanks for your time to also explain why.  I really am trying to learn how to "fish"
so that I have no need  beg for "food."

Dennis

JE McGimpsey <jemcgimpsey@mcgimpsey.com> wrote:

>    Range("G2").AutoFill _
>            Destination:=Range("G2:G" & _
>                  Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row), _
>            Type:=xlFillCopy

HELP WITH VBA
I am trying to finish writing some simple program. My problem is that when I try and change the arguement from SELECTION CHANGE to CHANGE, it doesn't work. Can someone help? Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Worksheets("Sheet3").Range("B3").Value = 2 Then Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("F3") = Worksheets("Sheet3").Range("F4").Value End Sub My second problem is that I would like my data rather than appearing in a cell, appear in a TEXT BOX. What do I do? Copying your exact same post from 3 days ago word...

Post code & Suburbs
Hello Everyone An u please suggest a formula to solve this problem post code Suburb formula Result required 4034 Aspley post code Suburbs 4034 Geebung 4034 Aspley, Geebung, Zillmere 4034 Zilllmere 4035 Beachmere, Cannonhill 4035 Beachmere 4035 Cannonhill so forth Document contains list of postcodes & suburbs Can u please suggest a formula to concatenate the above Thanks varun Can anyone please help with this problem..need a formula thanks varun "varun" wrote: > Hello Everyone > > An u please suggest a formula to solve this problem > > post code Su...

VBA: move to the next cell down from anywhere in the sheet
I am deleting rows based on a value in a column (< 16) and if the valu is 16 or greater I want to move down to the next row and check tha value and so on. i am using a Do Until value = "". What is the code for moving down to the next cell below ActiveCell -- jm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jmp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2903 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48770 Activecell.Offset(1,0).Select I would not recommend this though. If you want to dele...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Change range based on value of a cell
Hi all, I'm trying to do a COUNTIF, but want to change the range depending on a number somewhere else in the spreadsheet. For example, if the number is 3, I want to count from C1:G1, but if the number is 4 I want to count from D1:G1. I've used the address function to find out which cell I want to start from, and then concatenated that to the end point of the range (this never changes). So I'm left with a cell that contains the value of the range (C1:G1 or D1:G1) depending upon the number which is input above. Is it possible to use this cell, which contains the value C1:G1 to repl...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Find values of properties of checkbox
How do you find the values of a property (such as whether or not they are checked) when the check boxes have been created on the fly? Any help would be much appreciated! *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Mike P" <mike.parr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OBhh2ds4KHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > How do you find the values of a property (such as whether or not they > are checked) when the check boxes have been created on the fly? Is it a Web or WinForms application? If you did not keep a Reference to the checkboxe...

Using secured OMA

Collecting Range Name values to VBA
I have a worksheet "Setup" where users type in a date in a cell named "ChtDte" and a path and database name in a cell named "FLName". I am using DOA to connect to a database and return a record set. The query used "qryCOCostwRates" uses a date paramater. Because this sheet will be used by several users all pointing to the database in different locations, I need to know where they have the database. I need to get the values in these two range names in the setup tab of the spreadsheet so I can connect to the data, and provide a value for ...

Need help with code...
I have a problem. I have a drop down combo box called "Query status" with two options: "outstanding" and "completed". The record can't be changed to "completed" until certain other fields have ALL been entered but there is an extra complication. One other combo box can be either "other" or "invoice". Two extra fields need to be entered if this combo is "invoice" otherwise they aren't mandatory. In full this is the code I currently have in the "after update" event of each field: If Me.Qry_QryType =...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Allow temporarily use of right click

Read value in txt file
Hello to everybody I would like to read a value in a txt file. For example, the value will following the egual sign. So I want to look for language and get "fr" as value. language = fr country = france Thank you by advance and have a nice day. <bcastaing@gmail.com> said this in news item news:389dabc3-ca3b-440b-b55a-a93ca9221025@w16g2000yqw.googlegroups.com... > Hello to everybody > > I would like to read a value in a txt file. For example, the value > will following the egual sign. So I want to look for language and get > "fr"...

DPM agent for exchange 2007 fails with 80070643 error code
Greetings! I'm completely frustrated. When I try to install DPM agent on exchange 2007 i allways receive the same error 80070643 regardless of firewall settings or dpm agent version. Please help! My config is: exchange 2007 SP1 - on w2k8 x64 AD - in w2k3 native mode DPM 2007 - on w2k3 r2 32bit Hi, We understand your frustration. We will look into it to get better informative error message. For this, please collect the logs from PS server shared at: "%SystemDrive%\Windows\Temp\MSDPM*.log. Mail these logs to: anuraga@microsoft[DOT]com Thanks Anur...

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...