Using Index, Match and Search to populate items to a calendar view

Hello,

I need assistance figuring out a formula.  Here's the situation:

I have two worksheets.

Worksheet 1 lists, in spreadsheet form, names and dates of events, including
a column that details what state(s) the event is in (a row may list, "IL," or
"IL, WI, TX," etc...). It is sortable by state, and a number of other
features. Unfortunately, my readers want to see a monthly calendar view - not
a spreadsheet... so...

Worksheet 2 shows a monthly calendar view, with a drop down list to select
the Month and Year, and one to select a single State.

What I want to achieve is to populate the monthly calendar view/Worksheet 2
with the event names indexed on the appropriate date AND for ONLY the State
that was selected in the drop-down; i.e., if someone selects January 2010,
for Nevada, the monthly calendar would show when events that will be occuring
in January for Nevada only. Please note that the formula must look for
instances of the State name as opposed to a specific match (b/c as noted
above, a cell may include one or multiple states).

The formula I've arrived at is below, and according to Excel, contains no
errors - but the calendar view is populating ALL events, regardless of state.
 I think I'm missing a "FALSE" statement that says, if there is NOT a match
between the State and Date, then a zero/blank value should be returned.

=IF(ISNA(AND(SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($K$6,States))+0),(MATCH(G$2&"_"&$A4,DateRef,0)))),"",INDEX(EventTitle,MATCH(G$2&"_"&$A4,DateRef,0)))

In the formula above, "$K$6" refers to the State drop-down list on Worksheet
2; "G2" refers to the calendar month/day on Worksheet 2, with A4 the row;
"States" refers to the named range of states on Worksheet 1; "EventTitle" =
named range for the event names on Worksheet 1; "DateRef" = named range for
event dates on Worksheet 1.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Send me an email with a small sample of what you have (in .xls format,
NOT .xlsx) to:

pashurst <at> auditel.net

(change the obvious) and I'll send you a file that will do this for
you.

Pete

On Dec 29, 1:43=A0am, hjneedshelp
<hjneedsh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need assistance figuring out a formula. =A0Here's the situation:
>
> I have two worksheets.
>
> Worksheet 1 lists, in spreadsheet form, names and dates of events, includ=
ing
> a column that details what state(s) the event is in (a row may list, "IL,=
" or
> "IL, WI, TX," etc...). It is sortable by state, and a number of other
> features. Unfortunately, my readers want to see a monthly calendar view -=
 not
> a spreadsheet... so...
>
> Worksheet 2 shows a monthly calendar view, with a drop down list to selec=
> the Month and Year, and one to select a single State.
>
> What I want to achieve is to populate the monthly calendar view/Worksheet=
 2
> with the event names indexed on the appropriate date AND for ONLY the Sta=
te
> that was selected in the drop-down; i.e., if someone selects January 2010=
,
> for Nevada, the monthly calendar would show when events that will be occu=
ring
> in January for Nevada only. Please note that the formula must look for
> instances of the State name as opposed to a specific match (b/c as noted
> above, a cell may include one or multiple states).
>
> The formula I've arrived at is below, and according to Excel, contains no
> errors - but the calendar view is populating ALL events, regardless of st=
ate.
> =A0I think I'm missing a "FALSE" statement that says, if there is NOT a m=
atch
> between the State and Date, then a zero/blank value should be returned.
>
> =3DIF(ISNA(AND(SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($K$6,States))+0),(MATCH(G$2&"_"=
&$A4=AD,DateRef,0)))),"",INDEX(EventTitle,MATCH(G$2&"_"&$A4,DateRef,0)))

> In the formula above, "$K$6" refers to the State drop-down list on Worksh=
eet
> 2; "G2" refers to the calendar month/day on Worksheet 2, with A4 the row;
> "States" refers to the named range of states on Worksheet 1; "EventTitle"=
 =3D
> named range for the event names on Worksheet 1; "DateRef" =3D named range=
 for
> event dates on Worksheet 1.
>
> Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

0
Pete_UK
12/29/2009 1:53:08 AM
Maybe this easy formulas model would appeal to you (think it delivers what
you are trying to do) ...

Source data assumed in Sheet1, in cols A to C, data from row2 down, where
col A = State (eg NV, IL, TX, etc)
col B = Event titles
col C = Event dates (these must be real dates recognized by Excel)

Then in another sheet,
Assume
Input/DV in A2 for State, eg: NV
Input/DV in A3 for Date (these are assumed Text dates) eg: Jan 2010

Put in C2:
=IF(AND(Sheet1!A2=A$2,TEXT(Sheet1!C2,"mmm yyyy")=A$3),ROW(),"")
Copy C2 down to cover the max expected extent of source data in Sheet1, eg
down to C500

Then place this in D2:
=IF(ROWS($1:1)>COUNT($C:$C),"",INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,SMALL($C:$C,ROWS($1:1))))
Copy D2 across to F2, fill down by the smallest range large enough to cover
the max expected events per any state in a given month/yr, say down to F20?
Format col F as dates to taste. Cols D to F will return only the lines
dependent on the inputs in A2:A3, all neatly bunched at the top. When you
change the inputs in A2 and/or A3, you'd get only the results set satisfying
the dual inputs displayed in cols D to F

Note: If the input/DV in A3 is a real date (but formatted to show as eg: Jan
2010) use this variant instead in C2, copied down:
=IF(AND(Sheet1!A2=A$2,TEXT(Sheet1!C2,"mmm yyyy")=TEXT(A$3,"mmm
yyyy")),ROW(),"")

Above of any worth? Hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"hjneedshelp" wrote:
> I need assistance figuring out a formula.  Here's the situation:
>
> I have two worksheets.
>
> Worksheet 1 lists, in spreadsheet form, names and dates of events, including
> a column that details what state(s) the event is in (a row may list, "IL," or
> "IL, WI, TX," etc...). It is sortable by state, and a number of other
> features. Unfortunately, my readers want to see a monthly calendar view - not
> a spreadsheet... so...
>
> Worksheet 2 shows a monthly calendar view, with a drop down list to select
> the Month and Year, and one to select a single State.
>
> What I want to achieve is to populate the monthly calendar view/Worksheet 2
> with the event names indexed on the appropriate date AND for ONLY the State
> that was selected in the drop-down; i.e., if someone selects January 2010,
> for Nevada, the monthly calendar would show when events that will be occuring
> in January for Nevada only. Please note that the formula must look for
> instances of the State name as opposed to a specific match (b/c as noted
> above, a cell may include one or multiple states).
>
> The formula I've arrived at is below, and according to Excel, contains no
> errors - but the calendar view is populating ALL events, regardless of state.
>  I think I'm missing a "FALSE" statement that says, if there is NOT a match
> between the State and Date, then a zero/blank value should be returned.
>
> =IF(ISNA(AND(SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($K$6,States))+0),(MATCH(G$2&"_"&$A4,DateRef,0)))),"",INDEX(EventTitle,MATCH(G$2&"_"&$A4,DateRef,0)))
>
> In the formula above, "$K$6" refers to the State drop-down list on Worksheet
> 2; "G2" refers to the calendar month/day on Worksheet 2, with A4 the row;
> "States" refers to the named range of states on Worksheet 1; "EventTitle" =
> named range for the event names on Worksheet 1; "DateRef" = named range for
> event dates on Worksheet 1.
>
> Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

using forms

Re: CListViewCtrl and variable sub-item colours.
Hi All I have a CListViewCtrl using the report mode style. I wish to vary the background colours of some sub-items. Some will be displayed normal, others on a mild green background, others on a mild red background. Any ideas or examples on how to do this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Did you get an answer for this yet? The easiest way to make minor changes to controls like a list control, is to implement the "custom draw" feature (note: not owner draw, which is more complicated). See http://www.codeproject.com/listctrl/lvcustomdraw.asp Regards, Mike "Larry...

How Import Calendar from Palm III???
I can't figure out how to transfer my Palm III organizer calendar and addresses to Outlook 2000. Any suggestions? You need to install the Chapura PocketMirror software that is included on the Palm III CD - it is under Software IIRC. Once you do, go to http://www.chapura.com and download the free upgrade for the version that comes on the Palm CD. When you install the SW, ensure that you select to synch with the Outlook Calendar, not the Palm Desktop. >-----Original Message----- >I can't figure out how to transfer my Palm III organizer calendar and >addresses to O...

Using Spanish on Publisher

outlook or freeware calendar
My mother in law is in a nursing care facility. My wife is coordinating the schedules for each of the many family members to visit and take care of her. My wife (and I) use Outlook XP for personal calendars. Both of us are at a loss how to send our outlook calendar (in weekly view mode) to our various email correspondents. Is there a freeware program which will accomplish the same thing. The only way to achieve what we want to do that I can think of is to screen capture the calendar window, save the file and attach the file (jpg/bmp) to each correspondent. This seems to me to be a crude i...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

GAL view from Outlook
Hi Pardon for asking here - didn't know where to put this as I don't know if it's an Outlook or Exchange question. When I click the "To:" button in Outlook 2003 and look in my GAL i get the Name, Business Phone, Office etc. as default view. Is there a way to change this view or maybe the order of the columns? Email-address holds the x400 address - why not the smtp address? I would like to change the view so that it fits the need for our users - is this possible? Thanks in advance. Best regards, Brian Nicolaisen IT-service, System & Campus-IT UNIVERSITY OF SO...

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Item in account will not show in budget.
My wife's social security income will not show in budget - actual. I assign the item to an income category (wife SS) yet it will not show in the budget actual column - it stays 0. ? thanks for ant help Hald I had the same thing happen. If you just started using money or the social security income is a new addition, meaning you never have entered it into money before, or if the transaction happened before the 1st of the month it won't show up. For the last one you have to adjust the setting at the top (the drop down box) for the time period you want to view. For the others you ...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

Calendar Report in CRM
I'm trying to write a report in CRM that will display data in a calendar format. I've been banging my head on this for weeks and I haven't turned up anything online. I have some dates with titles attached I just want a calendar to display those titles on those date. I wouldn't think it would be that hard but it is. Help! ...

How to find the associated FrameWnd from a view ?
In a MDI application, how can I find the associated FrameWnd of a CEditView? The code fragment below works, but there must be a simpler and direct method. Any suggestions? CMainFrame* pFrame = (CMainFrame *)AfxGetApp()->m_pMainWnd; CFrameWnd* pNextWnd=pFrame->GetActiveFrame(); // then check every FrameWnd until a match is found: pNextWnd = (CFrameWnd*) pNextWnd->GetNextWindow(); ... Use GetParentFrame: ASSERT_VALID(pView); CFrameWnd* pFrameWnd = pView->GetParentFrame(); ASSERT_VALID(pFrameWnd); --------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com Wow, I am impresse...

Business Portal Viewing Rights
Is there a way in 2.5 or 3.0 to have Requistion Approvers view the request they have already approved? Tamara, Although approvers can't view purchase requests after they've been approved, the user who created a request can view its history by following these steps: 1. Open the Purchase Requests page (Employee > Purchase Requests). 2. In the Filter by list, select My completed requests and click the Go button to view your voided purchase requests or the requests that have been transferred to Microsoft Dynamics GP as purchase orders. 3. Select the request to view and click V...