Using CSV and quotes

Hi there.

I have some applications that accept data as a CSV file (where ALL fields
must be quoted).

In Excel when I save as CSV it does not put quotes around text fields that
do not contain spaces etc.

Is there anyway to make Excel automatically quote all text fields?

Thanks
Neil

0
neil9470 (10)

You have to use a macro.  Here's one:

''Outputs the selection if more than one cell is selected, else entire sheet
Sub OutputActiveSheetQuotesAroundAll()
    Dim SrcRg As Range
    Dim CurrRow As Range
    Dim CurrCell As Range
    Dim CurrTextStr As String
    Dim ListSep As String
    Dim FName As Variant
    FName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename("", "CSV File (*.csv), *.csv")
    If FName <> False Then
        ListSep = Application.International(xlListSeparator)
        If Selection.Cells.Count > 1 Then
            Set SrcRg = Selection
        Else
            Set SrcRg = ActiveSheet.UsedRange
        End If
        Open FName For Output As #1
        For Each CurrRow In SrcRg.Rows
            CurrTextStr = ""
            For Each CurrCell In CurrRow.Cells
                CurrTextStr = CurrTextStr & """" & CurrCell.Value & """" &
ListSep
            Next
            While Right(CurrTextStr, 1) = ListSep
                CurrTextStr = Left(CurrTextStr, Len(CurrTextStr) - 1)
            Wend
            Print #1, CurrTextStr
        Next
        Close #1
    End If
End Sub

--
Jim
"Neil" <neil@logan-5.co.uk> wrote in message
| Hi there.
|
| I have some applications that accept data as a CSV file (where ALL fields
| must be quoted).
|
| In Excel when I save as CSV it does not put quotes around text fields that
| do not contain spaces etc.
|
| Is there anyway to make Excel automatically quote all text fields?
|
| Thanks
| Neil

0
jrrech (1933)
10/27/2005 4:19:18 PM
Enter this small macro:

Sub Macro1()
Dim r As Range
For Each r In Selection
If Application.IsText(r.Value) Then
r.Value = Chr(34) & r.Value & Chr(34)
End If
Next
End Sub

Select the cells you want to modify and run the macro.  If you wish to use
the apostophe rather than the double quote symbol, then use Chr(39) in place
of 34
--
Gary's Student

"Neil" wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I have some applications that accept data as a CSV file (where ALL fields
> must be quoted).
>
> In Excel when I save as CSV it does not put quotes around text fields that
> do not contain spaces etc.
>
> Is there anyway to make Excel automatically quote all text fields?
>
> Thanks
> Neil

0
GarysStudent (1572)
10/27/2005 4:21:09 PM
Thanks guys, I will give that a go.
Neil

"Neil" <neil@logan-5.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi there.
>
> I have some applications that accept data as a CSV file (where ALL fields
> must be quoted).
>
> In Excel when I save as CSV it does not put quotes around text fields that
> do not contain spaces etc.
>
> Is there anyway to make Excel automatically quote all text fields?
>
> Thanks
> Neil

0
neil9470 (10)
10/27/2005 4:30:37 PM
Thanks Jim that works great!

@Gary"s Student - your macro puts quotes around each cell, but then when
saved as CSV it ends up with quotes around the quotes as it thinks the first
quotes are part of the string. Thanks for your time anyway.

Neil

"Neil" <neil@logan-5.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi there.
>
> I have some applications that accept data as a CSV file (where ALL fields
> must be quoted).
>
> In Excel when I save as CSV it does not put quotes around text fields that
> do not contain spaces etc.
>
> Is there anyway to make Excel automatically quote all text fields?
>
> Thanks
> Neil

0
neil9470 (10)

Mac Word 2008
I've used Word since version one for DOS and was an alpha tester for the first Word for Windows, so I'm not a total dunce. But for the life of me, I cannot figure how to place in the footer "Page X of Y (total pages)". For at least the last 10 years, plus in Mac Word 2004, I could open the footer and insert this feature easily. I've looked everywhere I can think of for information on how to do this in Mac Word 2008 to no blessed avail!! Why trying to do something that was so easy in previous versions of Word can possibly be viewed as an "enhancement&...

Backorders still defaulting to "Quantity to Order"
Even though are back orders are set to default to "Qty to Invoice" we are getting back orders that keep item quantities as quantity to order. We only use Fulfillment orders- so this impedes us from transferring back orders back to "invoice" which is what GP designates the fulfillment order as. It forces us to first transfer to Order and then Transfer to Invoice. The customer service people are getting pretty annoyed with this? Why are backorders an issue? (They also have no workflow status on them where all other orders in the mix do!) ...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

How to disable the "X" close button of DialogBox.?
i have to disable the "X" button of the Dialog box, how to do it...??? "Ajit Surana" <suranaajit@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1152246450.048098.84020@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > i have to disable the "X" button of the Dialog box, how to do it...??? Something like this: CMenu* pMenu = GetSystemMenu(FALSE); if(pMenu) { ASSERT_KINDOF(CMenu, pMenu ); pMenu->EnableMenuItem(SC_CLOSE, MF_BYCOMMAND | MF_GRAYED | MF_DISABLED); } -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com Thank you Ajay, that is working fine.....wht i need. Thank you ...

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

History Quote Error
I just recently installed Money 2007. I added my mutual fund data, went through all my statements, entered all the data. Everything seems fine, Except... Money is showing LMVTX down 7.0% YTD. No Way!!! I looked at the historic prices and the closing price today is 1.47% higher YTD. Looking at the LMVTX chart, there are some wild swings in Moneys historic prices, a lot of the prices are Wrong, Wrong, Wrong! I can't seem to locate any place to over-ride these wrong prices. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance... In microsoft.public.money, Patrick wrote: >I just recently instal...

Advanced E-mail options
I can't find anything googling for this so can anybody point me at a help source. When sending a message, if I select "Set Importance" or "Set Sensitivity" from the "Advanced E-mail Options" dialog, what do the categories mean and what do they do? For example what is the difference between "Private" and "Confidential" and what different effects do they have? Thanks -- (\__/) (='.'=) (")_(") I'll answer 1/2 about the importance function. If you set as High, the recipient gets a red exclamation mark in a c...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

"andy t" not up to challenge about failure of WSR scan doc feature
> Now Andy, I appeal to you, as an obvious expert in > applying WSR, do you have any idea "what good" > that document scanning feature of WSR is? > > If you suddenly stopped using it, would you notice any > pronounced difference in your text accuracy? I see our resident self-proclaimed expert on WSR did not see fit to answer my question above. y'know why, because he can't, the doc scanning feature just plain DOES NOT WORK in WSR. Others have noticed that failure to work also, in the medical forums I frequent. Document scanning f...

Using XML with ASP.NET

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Outlook stops checking email w/ "Enter Password" prompt?
Howdy, I'm using Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP Professional system. My system is connected to the Internet using DSL going through a Linksys router. I have Outlook configured to check several pop3 email accounts every 15 minutes. I'm checking my DSL email account and 2 yahoo.com accounts. The Problem: Several times a day, I'll check my machine and see that there's an Outlook window displayed asking for the password to one of my Yahoo accounts with a check box to save the password. These passwords are already saved and they work, for example, if I hit cancel and the Send and R...

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces
Hi ... How can you show in an UML diagram using visio that you have 1 class who uses the interface implementet by another ?? ex: C# public class MyClass : ImyInterface { //some code } //And then in another class you will do something like: private ImyInterface imi = new MyClass(); can you show this via UML shapes in Visio ?? thanks in advance ... -- ------------------------------- Med Venlig Hilsen Tonni Schm´┐Żcker Tonni@cool.dk ...

What do you use Excel for?