URGENT: Excel files renamed to HEX

For the last few days, some users are getting Excel files saved as a
"random" extensionless HEX named file - e.g. 40120100 - and the
original file name is lost.  We have not been notified of any warnings
or errors given to the end user.

Users are running WindowsXPsp2, OfficeXPsp3.

Server is Windows2003 server running DFS/FRS.

Antivirus for both server and client is McAfee VirusScan 8 - engine
4400, dat 4460.

Can't find anything in event logs.

This error *may* have started when users DFS referral was directed
from Server A to Server B.  However, servers are both W2K3 with same
patches and AV software.

Absolutely no idea where to even start on this - as it is not 100%
reproducable.....  But - we now have loads of random named files that
users can't access - and it is growing.

Archives don't seem to show this problem since early versions of
office, and blame file permissions/older antivirus - but this should
not be the case.

Any ideas welcome.
0
ryanjjones (45)

100% not anti-virus.
90% it is combination of DFS/FRS and Excel.

Files replicated between A and B okay - but B showed real name, A shows
Hex name.  Modify file on B and correct name goes to A.  Modify file on
A, and update and correct name goes to B - but A renamed as hex.

It actually looks like SHARE permissions.  Server A has everyone
"CHANGE" to the data share; whereas Server B has everyone "FULL
CONTROL".

Set server A to "FULL CONTROL" and tests show this looks a bit happier.

!!!??! Why just excel?  And why full-control share permission needed to
rename a file!?  Thought teh only difference between F/C and Change
share permissions was the right to take ownership and set
permissions???

0
ryanjjones (45)
4/5/2005 9:39:49 AM
Hi Ryan,
It probably does have something to do with your antivirus or
your permissions.   Excel creates that file with hex digits for
a name and no extension as the new replacement file it is
working on.    When finished it deletes the old file and renames
the new file to what the old file was.  If you don't have permission
on a network or the AV program is not set up to recognize that this
behavior is okay you lose your file and get the files you found in
their place.
---
HTH,

<ryanjjones@mail.com> wrote in message news:1112693989.053978.205640@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> 100% not anti-virus.
> 90% it is combination of DFS/FRS and Excel.
>
> Files replicated between A and B okay - but B showed real name, A shows
> Hex name.  Modify file on B and correct name goes to A.  Modify file on
> A, and update and correct name goes to B - but A renamed as hex.
>
> It actually looks like SHARE permissions.  Server A has everyone
> "CHANGE" to the data share; whereas Server B has everyone "FULL
> CONTROL".
>
> Set server A to "FULL CONTROL" and tests show this looks a bit happier.
>
> !!!??! Why just excel?  And why full-control share permission needed to
> rename a file!?  Thought teh only difference between F/C and Change
> share permissions was the right to take ownership and set
> permissions???

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/5/2005 1:26:51 PM
We had the same problem. It is fixed in win2003 SP1, or you can call
PSS and get the pre-sp1 hotfix for this issue.

0
j1mm3 (2)
4/7/2005 12:37:09 AM
Do you have a Microsoft Knowledge Base article to
refer to for further information.
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

<j1mm3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1112834229.268027.115010@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> We had the same problem. It is fixed in win2003 SP1, or you can call
> PSS and get the pre-sp1 hotfix for this issue.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
4/7/2005 6:06:24 AM
Sure thing, the article is KB823230 and the description is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823230

Cheers Jim

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message news:<elckMhzOFHA.2736@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> Do you have a Microsoft Knowledge Base article to
> refer to for further information.
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> <j1mm3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1112834229.268027.115010@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> > We had the same problem. It is fixed in win2003 SP1, or you can call
> > PSS and get the pre-sp1 hotfix for this issue.

0
j1mm3 (2)

Excel 2007 Crashing Problem
My company has been riddled with Excel 2007 crashing since we started migrating to the 07 suite. Two users who prominently use Excel for their job tasks have seen many issues mainly when converting .xls documents to .xlsx. The common theme i have seen here has been file size and weather or not the file contains links. Both users also work heavily with graphs. My question is, has there been reported problems with converting large excel files to the new format? Or has there been a graphing problem? ...

Excel function query
Hi everyone, Somehow i need a formula or something similar which will do the following. Basically, i have a column (A) of cells with different dates in them (e.g. 11/10/07). I then have another column (B) with some blank cells and some cells with numerical values in them. What i want to do is make only the blank cells in column B turn blue if 60 days over the date in Column A passes. For example, cell A1 contains the following date: 11/07/07 and Cell B1 is blank. Therefore cell B1 should be blue because 60 days have passed since 11/07/07. Hopefully someone can help, and that makes se...

After sending .mht file in email, the receiver print comes out bla
I converted a publisher one page flyer to an .mht file. When I sent a test flyer to myself, it comes up in the email fine, but if I try to print it, it comes out blank with the exception of only showing the header information. What do I need to do to the document so when someone receives it, they can print the flyer out? Thanks in advance for the advice! LeeNeedsHelp wrote: > I converted a publisher one page flyer to an .mht file. > When I sent a test flyer to myself, it comes up in the > email fine, but if I try to print it, it comes out blank > with the exception of o...

Autofit Merged Cells in Excel
I have tried to use Jim Rech's macro to autofit a merged cell in excel. However, I cannot seem to get this to work for my situation. I have (1) row merged in (2) columns (D & E.) What am I doing wrong??? There are three requirements and you mentioned 2. Is Wrap Text set for the active cell? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "kchambers" <kchambers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B18253BC-C422-417C-B81A-A6523EF348C1@microsoft.com... |I have tried to use Jim Rech's macro to autofit a merged cell in excel. | However, I cannot seem to get this to work for...

Problem formatting cells in Excel 2003 (the worksheet is not protected)
One of our customers is having problems with a document they use on Excel. they cannot format the font colour or cell colour on any part of the worksheet. They go to format it, make their selection colour wise click ok, the worksheet page appears again. But the cells are still blank in colour and the font colour hasn't changed. If you go to print preview it shows where changes have been made however the customer does not print the worksheet off, she relies on the screen. Remotely I have logged onto and opened up a blank excel document and exactly the same thing happens. She has un...

Unable to use Open File Dialog with namespace clsid on Vista
Hi, I'm using VC6/MFC. The following code CFileDialog dlg(TRUE) ; dlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = "::{<clsid>}" ; dlg.DoModal() ; where <clsid> is the id of a shell namespace (e.g. Recycle Bin is {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}) This allows an app to set the initial dir for a file dialog to a special folder or a custom namespace extension. This works fine on Win2k, 2003, and XP. On Vista RC2 no matter which namespace clsid is given the dialog always opens at My Documents. I haven't been able to test on the released version of Vista. I need to make it u...

if conditions in EXCEL
Hi. Generally, how can we apply an if condition in a column?. For example let say that I have a column D1:D1000. How can I say in D1001, if all cells include numbers multiply them (D1*D2*….D1000), else if one cell include text or blank then don’t print anything in D1001. Thank you. This should give you a start =IF(OR(ISBLANK(D1:D8),ISTEXT(D1:D8)),"",D1*D2*D3*D4*D5*D6*D7*D8) Insert as a array Ctrl + Shift + Enter. -- VBA Noob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&a...

Journal 2003 tracking of Project 2007 file
We currently use Office 2003 but have Project 2007. In Journal Options we've turned on "Also Record Files from Microsoft Project", but no journal entries are created (works fine for Word 2003, Excel 2003, Access 2003). We tried saving the Project file in 2000-2003 format, still no journal entry. Is it just a version issue (Project 2007 vs Office 2003) and/or is there a workaround? Thanks. Darwin Ask this in the project newsgroup where the project experts hang out On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft....

copying information from various excel files
HELP PLEASE!!! I need your help with the following situation: I have multiple excel files that have the same exact structure. Have to search across all of the files for two different strings, which should both be prompted (stra and strb). This information prompted should be compared, (stra) with the values in column c (if this is true), then strb with the values in column d. If both criterias are located in the SAME row, I have to display the information on columns e and f. Thanks to all of you for your help. Marcelo This might work for you if all your workbooks are in the same folder. ...

Converting A Word Table To Excel
Hello to all - Is it possible to convert a table created in Word to an Excel spreadsheet? If so, please advise. I have a form that I created in Word that I would like to convert into an Excel Spreadsheet Thank you. In Word, select the table and copy it In Excel, select a cell and paste. Be aware that you will need to perform some modest re-formatting -- Gary's Student "The Inquirer" wrote: > > Hello to all - > > Is it possible to convert a table created in Word to an Excel spreadsheet? > If so, please advise. > I have a form that I created in Word t...

Urgent Urgent Urgent Urgent
I am posting this query in continuation to the query posted by Anna (we are colleagues). Our software license is as follows: RMS – Headquarter : a. HQs 5 Store Base Pack RMS Stores Operations : a. 5 Single Store b. 1-3 stations Could you please explain what this 1-3 stations license means? We have a merchandise shop where it is difficult to manage with one POS during the Formula One Race days. We need to have two POS in this shop but the inventory cannot be split into two as this will create a lot of confusion. Is it possible to connect the two POS to a single database so that ...

Excel XP cells are links
All of a sudden every Excel XP cell shows up as a link A link to what? ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Wolf Zscheile" <Wolf Zscheile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0051CB8F-D9E6-443F-BC05-752B01368684@microsoft.com... > All of a sudden every Excel XP cell shows up as a link Hi Anne, it links just to another excel file, but only on certain pages and then always to the same file. It's disgusting.. "Anne Troy" wrote: > A link to what? > ******************* > ~Anne Troy > > w...

Big excel sheet
Hi all, I have a customer who has a terminal server. They are using Excel 2007 SP1 with a 4 Core Xeon CPU. Their excel spreadsheet has 104,000 rows. When a row is deleted, 1 core hits 100% for 7 minutes while it's processed. Is this normal? Is it possible to get any extra performance? The terminal server is a dual cpu, quad core (8 cores), 4gb of memory. 64Bit Windows 2003. Any help would make my day. ...

I'm lookink for an Excel function
Hello! I want to tell me an Excel function that counts the number of cells within a range that meet TWO given conditions. Thanks. Hi =SUMPRODUCT((FirstRange=FirstCondition)*(SecondRange=SecondCondition)*...) I think the number of various conditions is limited by max length for a formula. All ranges must be of same dimension, but they can differ or be same, like: =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100="a")*(B2:B100="b")) or =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100="a")*(A2:A100="b")) but not =SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100="a")*(B2:B200="b")) Arvi Laanemets "iulia"...

How can I disable error pop-ups in Excel 2000?
Under normal circumstances, when you try to edit data that is protected you get an error message dialog box saying that the data needs to be unprotected. Does anyone know of a way that this function can be disabled so that the user cannot see this box? This causes a problem because it effectively tells them how to overcome the protected sheet, thus rendering the protection pretty much pointless. I don't know of a way to prevent this alert from popping although I'd surely use it if there were one. At least you can prevent people from following the advice in the alert by assign...

Opening File
Hello I am having some trouble opening some excel documents. When I click on the file in windows explorer the file errors out and does not open but when I first open Excel and then open the file by using the "File, Open" menu options the files open What could be the problem and how can I fix it Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on the file in windows explorer: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then Windows Start Button|Run excel /re...

urgent: snap to connectionpoint does not work anymore
Hi, I'm using visio 2000 to draw an UML diagram. After adding several shapes suddenly when trying to add a dependency, binary association, or anything between two classes, the connector does not snap to the connectionpoints of the shapes to connect. I can not add an interface shape to a class neither. When opening another UML diagram (in a different file) it works fine. Thanks for the response. Serge Desmedt. ...

how do I change the text case of imported data in excel?
I am using office 2000. I would like to Change "ALL CAPS" to Just the first letter of name in caps or "title case" in Excel. I import data from different sources and I would like to make it all uniform in appearance. Currently I have to copy date to word, make changes to text case and import to excel "WORD" allows you to change the text case. Logic tells me there has to be a way to do this in Excel. Hi Artlene, Try: Sub MakeProperCase() Dim mycell As Range Dim Rng As Range Set Rng = Selection On Error Resume Next For Each mycell In...

URGENT
Hi everyone, I have to subtract a custom duration field from the start field to get an important information from my project. When I try do to that like: "[Start]-[Duration4]" the result is a totally confused date. How do I get this date? Best regards, Marco Ferreira Hello Marco, Try the expression ProjDateSub([Start],[Duration4]). Best Regards, Ismet Kocaman MCTS, PMP "Marco" wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I have to subtract a custom duration field from the start field to get > an important information from my project. > When I ...

how can i set excel 2007 to do a "calculate on open"?
When I open Excel itself - it opens fine. When I open an excel file - it will not open until I right click and select 'calculate'. Can anyone tell me why? Or How do I set a default "calculate on open"? Thanks SER It sounds like you have calculation set to manual. I'm not sure how to change it in Excel 2007, but if you copy this in the Immediate window of the VBE and press enter, it should also work Application.Calculation = XLCalculationAutomatic -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt If this post was helpful to you, please click YES below. "SER" wrote: > When ...

Excel 95 #2
Thank you for your reply. I will give it a try and see what happens after that. Thanks again. "Debra Dalgleish" <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote in message news:4160CA24.6020503@contexturesXSPAM.com... > The information in the following MSKB article may help: > > XL: Compile Error in Hidden Module Tbrun97.xls > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=272066 > > Terry Trent wrote: >> Has anyone seen this before ??? >> >> TBRUN9XLS: File Format is not valid. >> >> If you have please let me know and if so, what shou...

virtual memory paging file
i constantly get the message "low memory" "virtual memory paging file".what is this? when i try to print a publication it does not print out the entire document. i have tons of memory on my computer (i checked and emptied every temp file) it is still doing it. i am getting pretty fed up with publisher have other commercial printing issue but will get to that later. for now i am just trying to print a simple 8.5x11 invitation no picture just simple clip art. help! sylvia wrote: > i constantly get the message "low memory" "virtual memory paging fi...

Excel error #3
When I double click on an excel file I get the message that it cannot find the file to make sure the path is correct. If I open Excel then go to File/Open and choose the same file it opens fine. Does anyone know why this is? Thanks, - Sean - Try this Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. (unregserver is not always needed) 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regser...

need urgent help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hi i wanted to be able to add or upload images from the form? i have a field called image which is a data type OLE Object, i right click on the field click on the insert object option on the menu an a bitmap image is linked having browsed for it and clicked on the link check box. i want to be able to add images from the form not go to the datasheet view? can you help me please!!!!!!!! also i wanted to have a button assigned to a text box in the form in which you input the image path( where the image is located) and a click of a button the image is displayed in the datatype OLE object f...

how do i repair mdb file with out loosing data?