Update Excel Data List for Drop Down use

I have created data lists that were named (name field left of formula field)
and have those lists tied to cells as drop down data validation options.  I
now need to add additional entries to the data lists, but am unable to get
them added into the existing groups.  I've tried re-highlighting and naming
again - no go.
I am an admitted novice, but really look forward to getting this recurring
document as drop and click as possible.  Appreciate any help.
0
LynnS (2)

You could use a dynamic range, that would automatically expand to
include new entries. There are instructions here:

   http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

Or, to redefine the existing range:
Choose Insert>Name>Define
Select the name in the list
In the Refers to, change the cell reference
Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
6/10/2005 6:16:01 PM
This can be as easy as inserting a cell in the middle of the range that you
initially created, this will update the data that is referenced by the
validation program.

"LynnS" wrote:

> I have created data lists that were named (name field left of formula field)
> and have those lists tied to cells as drop down data validation options.  I
> now need to add additional entries to the data lists, but am unable to get
> them added into the existing groups.  I've tried re-highlighting and naming
> again - no go.
> I am an admitted novice, but really look forward to getting this recurring
> document as drop and click as possible.  Appreciate any help.

Too many rows for Excel output from Access 2000
All: In my application I am exporting several records to excel file dynamically using a query,when the number of records exceeds 50000 records in one of the scenarios I am getting this error :There are too many rows to output, based on the limitation specified by the output format or Microsoft access Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "Query11" DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputQuery, stDocName, acFormatXLS, , 1 Can any one suggest the solution to this problem, Thanks in Advance, VT IIRC, OutputTo uses an earlier Excel format that limits to 16K rows. Use the TransferSp...

Quirky recent file list #2
Debra--- I do tend to open from Windows Explore more then File>Open. But I am saving the file. It's more that it is annoying when I close a file by accident and don't quite remember where it got saved on the server. Stacie -- SPenney ------------------------------------------------------------------------ SPenney's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1079 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=267592 Well, I guess you weren't the only one who wanted this behaviour changed. <g> If/when you upgr...

Opening a new instance of Excel

Auto sort dat when updated
I am not a novice with Excell, however I have never written a macro. I have a worksheet that data can be updated on. That data transfers by formula to another worksheet. I want the second worksheet to auto sort when data is updated. I believe I need a macro to do this, but I don't know how to even start. You can sort the data using formulae. There are lots of examples in the archives if you do a Google search, but if you can't find anything that suits then you will need to provide more details of what data you have, how it is organised etc. Pete On Jan 13, 7:36=A0pm, bvander...

make column lists for select query.
sheet1 table1 col1_1 table1 col1_2 table1 col1_3 table1 col1_4 table1 col1_5 table1 col1_6 table2 col2_1 table2 col2_2 table2 col2_3 table2 col2_4 .... .... sheet2 table1 col1_1,col1_2,col1_3,col1_4,col1_5,col1_6, table2 col2_1,col2_2,col2_3,col2_4, .... .... I want to make column lists for some table listed in sheet1. for example, select column_lists from table1 without vba is it possible? thanks. I think you may want some dependent lists. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html HTH, Barb Reinhardt "kang" wrote: > sheet1 > table1 col1_1 > table1 col1_2 >...

How can I drop a flyer from Publisher into PowerPoint as a slide?
I have created a flyer in Publisher but I now need to drop it into PowerPoint as a slide, is this possible? No, not really. You could open up both instances, Powerpoint and Publisher, and then drag and drop/copy and paste from the Publisher window to the Powerpoint window, the reformat as needed. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "melann" <melann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58EE1229-ED29-4A5F-B4D6-BDE863876DB0@microsoft.com... &...

REPOST: Looking for how to use DTPicker
I am using Excel XP and am trying to use the date/time picker. Is there a way to use this that will give me date AND time as a single field? Is there a way (Or where can I get code to do so) to have the DATE/TIME validated with OUTLOOK-Calendar to see if that DATE/TIME is free? I quess I would need a duration as well? Also posting this in OL and Excel groups... Thanks BPJ Wrong newsgroup -- and most people don't answer pests who like to crosspost like crazy. It is very inconsiderate. "Newbie1" <newbie1@No.SPAM.com> wrote in message news:Lthcc.191900$Cb.173228...

Emailing in excel 2003 02-26-10

re: updating values
that works, but i'll need to add a lot of hidden feilds (20+/-)... Is there another way (perhaps more efficient -if not as simple?) ("there's more than one way to skin a cat") thanks inadvance, mark --------------------------------------------------------------------- "Daryl S" <DarylS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79CFD708-34B3-419A-A3F1-CF7050ACDE9F@microsoft.com... > Mark - > > Add the field [PresetOption] to the form. You can set the .visible > property > to FALSE so the user won't see it. Then the code...

using GP with Cognos
Is it possible to map GP to a reporting tool like Cognos? If so, what would be the easiest way to decipher to the data tables? Thanks for your help. The first thing is to install the SDK from the second CD. You need to explore the disc and look for the tools folder then the SDK folder. When you install the SDK, you will get a new item in your Dynamics program group. You will have access to documentation on data flow. Additionally, within GP you have the resource descriptions off the Tools menu. Richard Whaley has books that can help you, as well. Go to www.accoladespublications....

How can Journal be used if Project is not installed, or on the net
How can Journal be used if Project is not installed, or on the network -- Rusty Nichols Network Support Technician The Journal folder works without Project being installed at all. It's an integral part of Outlook. What functionality are you seeking? "Rusty" <w_r_nichols_iii@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7EA79673-AE35-44D2-A09E-EBF73E7EC414@microsoft.com... > How can Journal be used if Project is not installed, or on the network How can Journal potentially affect the Exchange server, and I would like more information on Journal for a Outlook foundation class? ...

graphing data
What is necessary to graph the number(s) in cell(s) when the number in that cell(s) is/are generated from a formula in those cells? -- mikaman Graph them in exactly the same way that would have done if the numbers had been typed into the cells. -- David Biddulph "mikaman" <mikaman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A6F240E-44F3-4636-8F2F-6DE39722D0EE@microsoft.com... > What is necessary to graph the number(s) in cell(s) when the number in > that > cell(s) is/are generated from a formula in those cells? > -- > mikaman ...

Copy filtered data
Let's say I have data in A1:Gxx. Now I use Autofilter to find all rows which has a "2" in column C. Let's say it leaves rows 1:4 and 8:10. Now I want to copy the filtered data in columns F:G and paste the values (not to an empty range which is easy) but to the same cells in colums D:E. Any help? Hans Knudsen Try Advanced Filter, excellent tutorial here from Debra Dalgeish, owner of the site, http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#ApplyAF Regards, Alan. "Hans Knudsen" <Hans.Knudsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message news:%23xtVdlR8FHA.740@TK2MSFTNG...

Parent / Child Price Updates
Is there an add-on that will update the cost of a "child" item when the "parent" item is purchased? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C705BB.BB763D20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable This is what already happens! Whenever u do receiving by a parent, the = child cost is updated! This might happen to u if you have more than one item that is assigned = to the same parent item, in this case, the cost of one child only will = be updated, this's a bug that was reso...

Getting List of Visible Windows
Hi All, I am working on a problem that requires me to know whether or not any part of a particular window is visible (even if it's like a one pixel corner). In my misunderstanding, I thought that ::IsWindowVisible would cover it, but it looks like that call just verifies that the hWnd actually has a dialog box. I was able to take it a step further and find out whether or not a window is minimized using ::GetWindowPlacement, but I really need to find out if a window is visible or not (in other words, not completely covered by higher z-order windows). Is there some sort of API call that ...

Excel Crash

EXCEL TROUBLESHOOTING #2

Chart Stopped Updating
Hi I have a number of DDE links that I use to increment Rows D to I every second, providing me with a method of data logging my DDE Links. I find that my chart works fine up to about 247 rows then stops updating. I have just upgraded from 2003 to 2007 version of Excel. Any ideas. Thanks Alec when you saved into 2007, you keep the old file format or use the new format? if using new, pls make sure you are using xlsm. if you are using the compatibility mode, please check make to make sure you click the security setting to low. "Alectrical" wrote: > Hi ...

Excel Edit F2 button changed for Mac???