Unable to read file #10

I have created a small application in XL with VBA.
Inadvertantly I must have changed the file extension. I
now try to open the file and get the message "Unable to
read file". Can someone help me get around this as a lot
of work has gone into this particular project.

Can i write some VBA code to get behind the scenes and
open the file.

Many thanks.
0
anonymous (74722)

Does this happen on just this one file?  If yes, do you have a backup?

Sometimes excel workbooks get corrupted.

One cause is opening them from a floppy and saving to that floppy.  (Instead you
should use windows explorer to copy to your harddrive/LAN drive), work on it
from there, save it there and use windows explorer to copy it back to the
floppy.)

Another is opening the workbook in MSWord and saving it as an MSWord document
(with a .xls extension).

If you did the MSWord thing, you maybe able to recover a little bit of your
data by opening it in MSWord and copying and then pasting to excel.  (But tons
of stuff may be lost.)

And sometimes the workbooks just get corrupted.

You might be able to recover more by using another program--both xl2002 and
OpenOffice have better reputations for opening files that earlier versions of
excel couldn't.

(http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

If the file is really important, there are commercial recovery services.  I've
never used it, but you might want to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

Any chance you emailed a version to someone who could email it back?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

I have tried opening with MSWord but no luck. Will try
the other two cousrses mentioned.

Thanks for your advise.

0
anonymous (74722)
2/8/2004 5:31:25 AM
FYI:  A few people have written back saying that OpenOffice saved their VBA
project--(not to get your hopes up too high, but it could be worth the
download).

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Excel File Corruption
I have a large excel spreadsheet (exceeding 5MB) that suddenly failed to update cell references. Due to the amount of changes being made on this particular day, I had put about three hours of work in ( all saved periodically) when I realized that cells referring to other celss were not updating when the values of the xource cells changes. I also discovered that cell references had failed to update when rows were added above the source cells. I work for a large international services firm, but our in-house tech group had no answers, excpet to suggest closing everything, re-booting, and reope...

my spreadsheet keeps formatting 10-12 as 10 Dec, how do i stop it
10-12 is a size not a date, although I have formatted the cell as text, it keeps reverting to custom Preceede your data entry with an apostrophe [ '10-12 ], which will *not* be displayed in the cell, but will be visible in the formula bar. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "pinbrook" <pinbrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A74BA913-A11D-41E7-921D-0D4C1FB298F5@microsoft.com... 10-12 is a size not a date, although...

Need help restoring (ME) Outlook pst file to (2000 Professional) Outlook
We backed up original (ME) Outlook pst files to CD. Reformatted hard drive and installed 2000 Professional. We are having a hard time restoring the pst files on the new operating system. We have tried dragging and droping the pst file to C\windows\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook, them turning off the read only attributes. This did not work. Next after reading serveral other posts we tried opening outlook. Then going to file\open\personal files. This does not work either. We belive the problem is within the path, as we are receiving a "can not find at this location error&...

Address Book 08-04-10
Good Morning: I am new to Win7 and this Live Mail .How and Where do I add all my e-mail address to the program? I apologize if this is a stupid question , but can not seem to find the address book. I did a search as well and nothing came up to help me. Thanks nume52 I did it manually. Under Inbox, New, and then contacts. There might be another way to transfer all the contacts but I didn't know how. "nume52" wrote: > Good Morning: I am new to Win7 and this Live Mail .How and Where do I add > all my e-mail address to the program? I apologize if this is...

Read Hebrew right-to-left
When I get a message which contains Hebrew text the Hebrew characters are corectly displayed but they appear incorretly left-to-right instead -rith-to-left. Where do I fix this? View | Encoding | ... Nathan wrote: > When I get a message which contains Hebrew text the Hebrew characters are > corectly displayed but they appear incorretly left-to-right > instead -rith-to-left. > Where do I fix this? ...

Exchange restore and recent file
Hello, I make an exchange Restoration from my exchange 2000 (SP3) server and i use "setup.exe /disasterrecovery" from the exchange CD-ROM.. The trouble is that it ask me for some file : " the target file is more recent that the source file, would you keep your file ? yes - no- no for all.. I don't know what to do ? because i will update to the exchnage SP3 after...and install the POST SP3 Rollup too ... Is there an exchange tool or a command that control and says if exchange works fine or not ??? for me to control after my restore.. Thanks for helping me... You can safe...

Unable to open calendar

Can't sync DRM files on MP3 player
Is use WMP 11 since a while to sync downloaded music files from napster to my MP3 player (so it can play DRM files). But for some reason i now get a sync problem in WMP "C00D1236 - cannot sync the file? This problem only occurs with DRM files although i also can play those files with WMP 11 ?! ...

GP 10 Intergration Manager error
One of our reports no longer runs and returns the below message. We recreate it and still returns this error. Rebooted our Win2003 server, stopped restarted SQL2005. Any suggestions on a fix. Thanks The destination could not be initialized due to the following problem: Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Dynamics.Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{6D016638-BA35-11CF-827E-00001B27AB13}' failed due to the following error: Error loading type l...

Need to read PAR PORT data bits URGENT
I have never read a parallel port in MFC yet. I need to read the input data on the port tonight for a dog and pony tomorrow. I tried the CParallelPort class but it didn't build and seems more than I really needed.. I am just reading the state of the bits as there is a rotary switch connected to them.. ANy links or methods.. AM I missing the obvious? Thanks again all. Nappy First, using the parallel port for anything is intrinsically dangerous. The standard parallel port driver does not support reading from it. (Besides, modern machines don't have parallel ports). You wil...

using embedded .xsd vs file based .xsd
I am thinking of embedding my schemas as embedded resources instead of reading it using URI at run-time. I came across some snags while trying to do just that such as, previously unknown to me, XmlValidatingReader.Schemas.Add was using XmlValidatingReader.Resolver to resolve my schemas using the URI method. Resolver property was never set, so the reader simply ignored any external references even though one of the schema explicitly imports the other one. I verified this by removing the referred schema from the schema collection, and the code chugged along fine. But when I changed the code to ...

will not write file to server
when i try to do save as to my nevell server i get them message file is read only. there is a hot fix for this but i don't know how to get it can someone help thanks pete The MSKB article that discusses this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];824424 suggests ways to contact MS. I don't know of any other ways. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Saving a worksheet as a jpg file?
I know how to save a chart as a jpg file, but I don't know how to save a worksheet as a jpg file. Can anyone tell me how? (The reason I want to do this is to send a worksheet to a Mac user who cannot [and who has no interest in learning how to] open Excel files, but who can open jpg files.) Many thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Use the Excel Camera Tool to take a picture of a pre-selected range on a worksheet. Copy the pictu...

unable to scroll the page

file://./backofficestorage...
I need to enable access to file://./backofficestorage on my Exchange 2003 server. I remember a seeing an article on how to do that a while ago but I can't find it now. Thanks! PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!! Also ensure that do file-level virus scanners are scanning M: drive Drive M Mapping to IFS Is Not Present by Default in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821836/en-us HTH -- James Whelan Rapid Response Engineer - Messaging Premier Field Engineering Microsoft United Kingdom Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup pu...

Can not get emails to flow down to a .pst file
I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have tried every thing I could think of. Please help. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:35:01 -0700, "Glenn" <GRyan@prideindustries.com> wrote: >I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating >them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her >personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 >week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have trie...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Importing an Excel file into Money
I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a monthly charge to do this. I don't want to use Money or Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances better. I am able to download my account data into Excel. Is there anyway I can import from Excel into Money? I tried doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no error messages or anything). In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote: >I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could >...

importing .pst file #2
I recently tried to import "outlook.pst" from one computer running Office 2003 to another running same. I imported "archive.pst" w/ no problem. When I attempt to import "outlook.pst", I get an error message that says one or more parameters are invalid. Can anyone help? Thanx http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx Try here I got some good answers.. Peace Michael H. "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11cee01c3f55d$47da0520$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I recently tried to import "outlook.p...

Importing Tab files
Hello, Here's some odd behavior from Excel. I need to import a tab file with the following two requirements: req 1. Newlines within quotation marks are preserved as part of the record req 2. All fields are imported as text Now, if I do file->open and go through the import wizard, req 2 is met because I can select all fields and set them to text. However, it splits records at newlines within quotation marks no matter what I try. If, on the other hand, I drag and drop the tab file onto Excel, it preserves newlines, but there's no way (as far as I can tell) to force it to input ...

Unable to conect

Maximum Open Rows read only?
Hi, Is there a way to se "Maximum Open Rows" so I can set CacheSize of a recordset? Now it is 1 and Acess says it is Read Only. Thanks. ...