Unable to open Excel file #4

Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be
read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only
location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not
be responding.
The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a
diskette.

Sounds like a bad disk.  Copy the disk to the hard drive somewhere an
try to open there.

--
kkkni
kkknie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=754

Vic

Copy the file to hard drive first then try to open.

Not a good idea to save to or open from a floopy directly.  Can lead to
corruption.

When Excel opens a file, it alos creates a *.tmp file at the same time.  If
your floppy does not have room for the *.tmp file you can/will get corruption.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:40:47 -0700, "Vic Latvis" <vic.latvis@yale.edu> wrote:

>Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be
>read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only
>location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not
>be responding.
>The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a
>diskette.

0
Gord
9/30/2004 9:58:27 PM
I don't think it actually creates a .tmp file in the same folder when opening.
But when you save a file, it does create a temporary file (8 character name--no
extension) and xl will need breathing space for that.

And there can be a few temporary files created in the windows temp folder.

(Floopy???)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Gord

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:33:58 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:

>I don't think it actually creates a .tmp file in the same folder when opening.
>But when you save a file, it does create a temporary file (8 character name--no
>extension) and xl will need breathing space for that.
>
>And there can be a few temporary files created in the windows temp folder.
>
>(Floopy???)
>
>Gord Dibben wrote:
>>
>> Vic
>>
>> Copy the file to hard drive first then try to open.
>>
>> Not a good idea to save to or open from a floopy directly.  Can lead to
>> corruption.
>>
>> When Excel opens a file, it alos creates a *.tmp file at the same time.  If
>> your floppy does not have room for the *.tmp file you can/will get corruption.
>>
>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:40:47 -0700, "Vic Latvis" <vic.latvis@yale.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be
>> >read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only
>> >location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not
>> >be responding.
>> >The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a
>> >diskette.

0
Gord
9/30/2004 11:05:20 PM
You're lucky to have Dave helping you. He's a genius! <g>

(BTW, you should have told him that "floopy" is the Canadian spelling.)

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
9/30/2004 11:20:15 PM
Thanks, Deb.

With you, I know that you mean it (ahem).

And if any of you doubters want to see:

Tools|options|Edit Tab|Uncheck Fixed Decimal Places.

Take that!

Debra Dalgleish wrote:

> You're lucky to have Dave helping you. He's a genius! <g>
>
> (BTW, you should have told him that "floopy" is the Canadian spelling.)
>
> Gord Dibben wrote:
> > Hello.  Pleased to meet you.  Have you seen my Easter Eggs?  I think I hid
> > them somewhere around here near my floopy.
> >
> > Gord
> >
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:33:58 -0500, Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I don't think it actually creates a .tmp file in the same folder when opening.
> >>But when you save a file, it does create a temporary file (8 character name--no
> >>extension) and xl will need breathing space for that.
> >>
> >>And there can be a few temporary files created in the windows temp folder.
> >>
> >>(Floopy???)

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Excel in Office for Mac 2008 features
I've had Excel crash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back the old saved spreadsheet with none of the changes. Auto Save is set to 10 minutes and sometimes it had been hours and still reverted back to the old saved sheet and not the updated autosaved one. In article <ee8a70d.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, Foosh@officeformac.com wrote: > I've had Excel crash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save > feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back th...

Word Wrapping in Excel
I am having trouble with Word Wrapping in Excel. It does not adjust th row height properly. I have tried Format, Rows, AutoFit and it stil doesn't work. Help, pleas -- Mandy1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mandy11's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1300 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27632 Hi do you experience this with merged cells. If yes->nothing you can really do about this without using vBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mandy11 wrote: > I...

Office 2007 Excel
Every time i open Excel 2007 i get the following; "The file you are trying to open,'PDFMaker.OLDxla',is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?" I pressed CTRL+Shift+I and receive the folowing id 101786 however I could not find anything relating to the above. As a note you have to press NO two times before you can get into excel. Hope I got this in the correct discution group. If you're not using the pdfmaker.* addin, how...

Horizontal line chart
Hi, I have prepared a bundle of column that has one XY scatter plot serie It works great, updates with VBA, no problem. Now I was asked to add one additional point in each serie to the char with some calculations. Although looked to be be very easy job, it' not, as the file get corrupted while modyfing the data source for thi chart using the MS chart interface. I've tried to put the modificatio into the command line and it works for the chart. Unfortunately it doe not record while macro recoding ('Macro recording not possible' error that is essential to update automatically t...

Exchange restore and recent file
Hello, I make an exchange Restoration from my exchange 2000 (SP3) server and i use "setup.exe /disasterrecovery" from the exchange CD-ROM.. The trouble is that it ask me for some file : " the target file is more recent that the source file, would you keep your file ? yes - no- no for all.. I don't know what to do ? because i will update to the exchnage SP3 after...and install the POST SP3 Rollup too ... Is there an exchange tool or a command that control and says if exchange works fine or not ??? for me to control after my restore.. Thanks for helping me... You can safe...

First Time Opening Outlook
I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message is, "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable." and a second popup says, "Configuring Outlook Accounts". The configuation process never does complete. I can even open outlook. Help! Thanks Ross Ross <Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just installed Outlook and when I try to open it, I get a popup > message titled "Connecting to Microsoft Exhange Server". The message > is, "You...

Can't sync DRM files on MP3 player
Is use WMP 11 since a while to sync downloaded music files from napster to my MP3 player (so it can play DRM files). But for some reason i now get a sync problem in WMP "C00D1236 - cannot sync the file? This problem only occurs with DRM files although i also can play those files with WMP 11 ?! ...

Unable to open calendar

using embedded .xsd vs file based .xsd
I am thinking of embedding my schemas as embedded resources instead of reading it using URI at run-time. I came across some snags while trying to do just that such as, previously unknown to me, XmlValidatingReader.Schemas.Add was using XmlValidatingReader.Resolver to resolve my schemas using the URI method. Resolver property was never set, so the reader simply ignored any external references even though one of the schema explicitly imports the other one. I verified this by removing the referred schema from the schema collection, and the code chugged along fine. But when I changed the code to ...

in excel formula the comma (,) is no longer accepted but the semi.
when entering formula in Excel the comma (,) is no longer accepted but the semicolon (;) now has to be used. Example: Previous : =if(a2="Yes",a3+a4,b3+b4) Now : =if(a2="Yes";a3+a4;b3+b4) How do I change it back to using commas. I don't know how this has happened, I just arrived at work one day and the changes has occured. Not a 100% sure how well XL honors them, but check your Windows 'Regional Settings.' -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <5...

Saving a worksheet as a jpg file?
I know how to save a chart as a jpg file, but I don't know how to save a worksheet as a jpg file. Can anyone tell me how? (The reason I want to do this is to send a worksheet to a Mac user who cannot [and who has no interest in learning how to] open Excel files, but who can open jpg files.) Many thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Use the Excel Camera Tool to take a picture of a pre-selected range on a worksheet. Copy the pictu...

unable to scroll the page

How do I convert Supercalc to Excel
I have data on disks that are in SuperCalc that I would like to convert to Excel, but I don't know how to do that. Excel can't open SuperCalc files. You'd have to get a copy of SuperCalc and save the files from there in to a format that Excel can read (e.g., text, CSV, SYLK, etc). -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Bean Counter" <Bean Counter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30443F32-B3D7-4996-9CAC-608C0F573D9C@microsoft.com... >I have data on disks that are in SuperCalc th...

file://./backofficestorage...
I need to enable access to file://./backofficestorage on my Exchange 2003 server. I remember a seeing an article on how to do that a while ago but I can't find it now. Thanks! PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!! Also ensure that do file-level virus scanners are scanning M: drive Drive M Mapping to IFS Is Not Present by Default in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821836/en-us HTH -- James Whelan Rapid Response Engineer - Messaging Premier Field Engineering Microsoft United Kingdom Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup pu...

Can not get emails to flow down to a .pst file
I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have tried every thing I could think of. Please help. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:35:01 -0700, "Glenn" <GRyan@prideindustries.com> wrote: >I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating >them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her >personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 >week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have trie...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Populating Excel from CSV
Hello all, I need to know how to populate an Excel template with data from a external CSV file. Let's say I have this nice pretty colourful templat that is far more pleasing to the eye than the usual chunk of importe CSV data, what are some methods to populate it with data from a CS file?? Any ideas or suggestions or redirections would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance : -- AJMorgan59 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AJMorgan591's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2777 View this thread: http://www.ex...

importing .pst file #2
I recently tried to import "outlook.pst" from one computer running Office 2003 to another running same. I imported "archive.pst" w/ no problem. When I attempt to import "outlook.pst", I get an error message that says one or more parameters are invalid. Can anyone help? Thanx http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx Try here I got some good answers.. Peace Michael H. "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11cee01c3f55d$47da0520$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I recently tried to import "outlook.p...

Plotting data in Excel #2
Is it possible to generate a cell range mathmatically using formulas and "Concatenate" in one reference cell, and then use the contents of the cell to define the data range for an X-Y plot? In other words, instead of manually selecting the data range to be plotted using a pick box, I want the reference the contents of a cell that has computed the data range. Thanks -- James ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message p...

Importing an Excel file into Money
I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a monthly charge to do this. I don't want to use Money or Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances better. I am able to download my account data into Excel. Is there anyway I can import from Excel into Money? I tried doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no error messages or anything). In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote: >I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could >...

Why can't I open any email jokes that friends send me with excel
I get email from friends that send me jokes to open with micro excel and I can't open them why? 1. Do you have Microsoft Excel installed on your computer? 2. What is the extension of the attachments with the jokes? Is it somejoke.XLS ? I never heard of Excel being a joke transporter but who knows? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 27 May 2007 13:54:00 -0700, Leona <Leona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I get email from friends that send me jokes to open with micro excel and I >can't open them why? Its because Excel is only for serious work except, of c...

Importing Tab files
Hello, Here's some odd behavior from Excel. I need to import a tab file with the following two requirements: req 1. Newlines within quotation marks are preserved as part of the record req 2. All fields are imported as text Now, if I do file->open and go through the import wizard, req 2 is met because I can select all fields and set them to text. However, it splits records at newlines within quotation marks no matter what I try. If, on the other hand, I drag and drop the tab file onto Excel, it preserves newlines, but there's no way (as far as I can tell) to force it to input ...