Unable to load files from alternate startup folder

Windows SBS 2003
Windows XP
Office 2003
Dell Optiplex GX260

We are a small CPA firm running, seemingly, identical set-ups on 6
identical workstations. We load a system.xls file from a network folder
(R:\Firm\system\excel\xlstart) when Excel starts through the 'At
startup, open all files in:' setting in the Options|general tab.

We've been loading this file successfully through multiple versions of
Excel over the last 5+ years.

On two of the workstations, the files in this folder have stopped
the macros in the system.xls file, even after manually loading the
file. When we assign the macro to an icon, it simply does not take,
i.e. when we right click after assigning -- the macro name is blank.

I have a guess that it may be tied to an add-in provided by
Practitioners Publishing Company -- company is a provider to the local
CPA community of compilation and review materials and include a couple
of Excel add-ins. Their support has not identified a known problem, but
I'm suspicious without any concreate evidence to support. I've removed
the add-ins from the problem computers -- Excel still doesn't load from
the alternate start-up folder, so I may be completly off-track. If
there our other accounting firms experiencing quirks with PPC's
software, I'd like to hear from them.

Any general suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Bill Carlson

0
BillC9067 (3)

First, I have no real suggestions for your problem.

But how about trying a different approach?

If your system.xls file is just a home for macros, then maybe you could save
your file as an addin and load the addin via tools|addins (and point to the
R:\... folder).

And instead of assigning the macros manually, you could create the toolbar when
the workbook opens (and delete it when the workbook closes).

If you want to add an option to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way
John Walkenbach does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=40E095F1.5CB35B41%40msn.com

=======
The closest thing I've seen is when my Default folder pointed to a network
drive.  If I started excel when I wasn't connected to the network, excel would
reset this to point at a local folder on the C: drive.  Each morning, when I was
connected to the network, I'd have to change that setting (actually via code,
though).

Could that be the close to the problem on the 2 workstations?

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks again,

Bill

0
BillC9067 (3)
11/24/2005 2:00:06 AM
By creating the toolbar on the fly, you're life will be much easier.

And once you get that "boiler plate" set up, you'll be able to use it for the
next time.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Exchange restore and recent file
Hello, I make an exchange Restoration from my exchange 2000 (SP3) server and i use "setup.exe /disasterrecovery" from the exchange CD-ROM.. The trouble is that it ask me for some file : " the target file is more recent that the source file, would you keep your file ? yes - no- no for all.. I don't know what to do ? because i will update to the exchnage SP3 after...and install the POST SP3 Rollup too ... Is there an exchange tool or a command that control and says if exchange works fine or not ??? for me to control after my restore.. Thanks for helping me... You can safe...

Unable to open calendar

Can't sync DRM files on MP3 player
Is use WMP 11 since a while to sync downloaded music files from napster to my MP3 player (so it can play DRM files). But for some reason i now get a sync problem in WMP "C00D1236 - cannot sync the file? This problem only occurs with DRM files although i also can play those files with WMP 11 ?! ...

using embedded .xsd vs file based .xsd
I am thinking of embedding my schemas as embedded resources instead of reading it using URI at run-time. I came across some snags while trying to do just that such as, previously unknown to me, XmlValidatingReader.Schemas.Add was using XmlValidatingReader.Resolver to resolve my schemas using the URI method. Resolver property was never set, so the reader simply ignored any external references even though one of the schema explicitly imports the other one. I verified this by removing the referred schema from the schema collection, and the code chugged along fine. But when I changed the code to ...

will not write file to server
when i try to do save as to my nevell server i get them message file is read only. there is a hot fix for this but i don't know how to get it can someone help thanks pete The MSKB article that discusses this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];824424 suggests ways to contact MS. I don't know of any other ways. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Saving a worksheet as a jpg file?
I know how to save a chart as a jpg file, but I don't know how to save a worksheet as a jpg file. Can anyone tell me how? (The reason I want to do this is to send a worksheet to a Mac user who cannot [and who has no interest in learning how to] open Excel files, but who can open jpg files.) Many thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Use the Excel Camera Tool to take a picture of a pre-selected range on a worksheet. Copy the pictu...

unable to scroll the page

file://./backofficestorage...
I need to enable access to file://./backofficestorage on my Exchange 2003 server. I remember a seeing an article on how to do that a while ago but I can't find it now. Thanks! PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!! Also ensure that do file-level virus scanners are scanning M: drive Drive M Mapping to IFS Is Not Present by Default in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821836/en-us HTH -- James Whelan Rapid Response Engineer - Messaging Premier Field Engineering Microsoft United Kingdom Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup pu...

Can not get emails to flow down to a .pst file
I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have tried every thing I could think of. Please help. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:35:01 -0700, "Glenn" <GRyan@prideindustries.com> wrote: >I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating >them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her >personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 >week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have trie...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Personal Folders #2
Hi, I really need some help........... I made a personal folder and always put my emails in seperate sub-folders after I read them. We have to keep our inbox fairly small or the server statrts yelling at us. PROBLEM! My personal folder is now just over 2gig in size. Outlook 2000 won't let me access the file. It says there is an error and to use the inbox scan to fix it. I use SCANPST.EXE, but even it comes up with a error. Is there a 3rd party program that will let me access this file? Maybe I can go in and delete some things to get it below the 2gig limit. Please email m...

Importing an Excel file into Money
I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a monthly charge to do this. I don't want to use Money or Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances better. I am able to download my account data into Excel. Is there anyway I can import from Excel into Money? I tried doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no error messages or anything). In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote: >I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could >...

importing .pst file #2
I recently tried to import "outlook.pst" from one computer running Office 2003 to another running same. I imported "archive.pst" w/ no problem. When I attempt to import "outlook.pst", I get an error message that says one or more parameters are invalid. Can anyone help? Thanx http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx Try here I got some good answers.. Peace Michael H. "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11cee01c3f55d$47da0520$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I recently tried to import "outlook.p...

Lost Public Folders with Digital ID
Hi, I'm using Exchange 2003 with SP1 and a CA Server. I created my own Digital ID that I installed on my Outlook 2003. Somehow I lost my public folders after the installation. How do I get this back? Please advise. Digital ID is working fine except the above problem. And I got slow response when the root is not offline and subordinate have CRLs to execute. Does root need to be online when CRLs need to be executed? Thanks, Ricky Can you see these folders via another Outlook client? I have never seen a certificate cause public folders to disappear. When you say the root CA is...

Importing Tab files
Hello, Here's some odd behavior from Excel. I need to import a tab file with the following two requirements: req 1. Newlines within quotation marks are preserved as part of the record req 2. All fields are imported as text Now, if I do file->open and go through the import wizard, req 2 is met because I can select all fields and set them to text. However, it splits records at newlines within quotation marks no matter what I try. If, on the other hand, I drag and drop the tab file onto Excel, it preserves newlines, but there's no way (as far as I can tell) to force it to input ...

Unable to conect

After compiled to MDE file, all AutoKeys won't work
Dear All,I have written an Access XP (2002) program that I used some function keys tocall the form, so I used AutoKeys at macro and made some function keys. WhenI run my program under Access, the function keys is working well. But afterI compiled to MDE file and run the mde file, all the function keys gone.Does anyone know Why? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank youDaryl...

office files on DFS share
Hello everyone, how does an office (excel) file behave if it is opened, edited ans saved on two different locations and then replicated to the central location through DFS? Is there any algorithm to ersolve conflicts? I could not find any whitepaper on this until now. Thank you. -- The sun is shining. ...

Alternate address book
Hi Is it possible to create an address book, similar to outlook address book, but which picks up contact addresses from an ms access table? Basically I have an access database and I want those addresses to appear in outlook when user is trying to send an email. I don't want to physically copy access contacts into outlook contacts as both have differences in some fields. Thanks Regards Yes.. You'll need to program it though. Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google an...

Public folder favorite disappears
Hi. We are using Outlook 2003 sp 3 and Exchange 2003 sp1. One of our users adds subfolders of a public folder to her public folder favorites, but after a short period (10minutes - 1 day) the folder disappears from her public folder favorite list. When she adds it again, the same thing happens. I am lost as to why this keeps happening. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help. J. Huber I have not encountered this, however, the public folder favorites are stored in the OST/PST file. Knowing this, I would guess that the problem lies in the synchronization of the pub...