Two documents with the same name - error

When trying to open an excel file by double-clicking on
the document file in windows explorer, excel opens with
the error, "A document with the name 'document.xls' is
already open. You cannot open two documents with the same
name, even if the documents are in different folders. To
open the second document, either close the document
that's currently open, or rename one of the documents."

The same results happen by double clicking on a shortcut
to a file or selecting the file from the my documents
recent list. Within Excel, File Open seems to work just
fine.

The PC has Windows 2000 Professional SP4 with Office 97
SP2. Thank you for your suggestions in advance.

Brian
0
anonymous (74721)

Hi Brian

This are the usual things to fix this

Tools>Options>General  uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c39d01c43850$0ce4d900$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> When trying to open an excel file by double-clicking on
> the document file in windows explorer, excel opens with
> the error, "A document with the name 'document.xls' is
> already open. You cannot open two documents with the same
> name, even if the documents are in different folders. To
> open the second document, either close the document
> that's currently open, or rename one of the documents."
>
> The same results happen by double clicking on a shortcut
> to a file or selecting the file from the my documents
> recent list. Within Excel, File Open seems to work just
> fine.
>
> The PC has Windows 2000 Professional SP4 with Office 97
> SP2. Thank you for your suggestions in advance.
>
> Brian

0
rondebruin (3789)

synchiing two computers?

how do i password protect a microsoft publisher document
I want to password protect my resume I perpared in Microsoft Publisher. Are there any tool in publisher that would allow me to do this? I love Publisher however I would never recommend a resume in Publisher format. Most places will not be able to read it. I'm looking for a job now myself and I have yet to see an employee that says they will accept a .pub file. All I see are requests for .doc or .txt files. Anything else is useless to them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "fffinga" <fffinga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E22BE2D0-940...

Changing file permissions when saving Word or Excel documents
Hi, I work in an office environment which consists primarily of PCs using Office (Word, Excel, etc.). I have found that when I save an existing Word or Excel file (Office 2004 with all the updates) which is on a network drive with multiple user and group permissions, the write permission reverts to just me, instead of the multiple users and groups, i.e., it becomes read-only for everyone else. It doesn't matter if the file is open with "(shared)" access on Windows first, if I save it, it becomes read-only to everyone else. Currently, I have to remember to immediately drop int...

COUNTIF (?) on two criteria

Two IF Statements with two answers
In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. If there are no other alternatives that yes and no =IF(G9="Yes",F9,-F9) otherwise =IF(G9="Yes",F9,IF(G9="No",-F9,"") Regards, Peo Sjoblom "heater" wrote: > In cell J9 I need a formula that would do the following: > > If G9="Yes" then F9, If G9="No" then -f9 > > Note: G9 has a drop down list with Yes, No answers. > =IF(G9=&qu...

How to reconnect a named pipe when the client program been closed?
Hi , I have created a named pipe in server program,and client program connect it.When the client program been closed,a new client program can't reconnect it . How to solve the problem ? Thanks for help! ...

Two axis
Positioning the Vertical axes: I have a chart where there are two axes. The first implementation produced the two scales on the right side, one inside, the other outside the chart area. Unusual, but luckily it fits well the chart. I tried to duplicate the feat with another dataset (similar in structure) and did not even get the second scale to show right, left or center (data plotted with two different scales allright). Where is the info to control these functionalities? Tx, Pierre On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:48:13 +0100, pl.carry <pl.carry@wanadoo.fr> wrote= : > Positioning the Vertic...

plot two groups of numbers on one series of xy coordinates.
how to create a plot from separate x and y values. i.e. y values do not correspond to the same set of x values. example x1= 5, y1=10; x2= 8, y2=15 I can read your question 2 ways; A) you data looks like this x y 5 10 8 15 etc. Select the data and make an XY chart B) you have two sets of data x1 y1 5 10 10 12 17 15 21 20 and x2 y2 3 8 7 14 12 19 18 24 Make an XY chart of the first data series Select all the data (including headers) for second set, and use Copy Click the chart to activate it Use Edit | Paste Special .... indicate New Ser...

Document not printing as formatted
Documents do not print as formatted. Saving prior to printing does not help. Both alignment and font size change when document prints. Seems to happen when view is changed in view menu, or when selecting print preview. Occurs with existing and new documents. The changes occur randomly. OS is Mac 10.3.5 Printer is Epson C84 ...

Active Document Container
Hi I created a Container(Compound Document Support) project. I enabled "Active document container". I started it and clicked Edit->Insert New Object->Create From File. Here there is no "Link" check box. If i don't enable "Active document container", "Link" check box is shown. Why? What is the relation between "linking" and "Active document container"? Thanks... ...

My microsoft document image writer has disappeared and I reinstal.
I am unable to reinstall microsoft document image writer print driver. Can anyone help? This article explains how to install the printer: Save Publisher 2003 files in formats that others can view http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011111451033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "curtisba" <curtisba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9599A562-61C1-4CEA-BB1E-A55064507FE8@microsoft.com... >I am unable to reinstall microsoft document image writer print driver. Can > anyon...

Locate 1 Customer Account record by multiple names
Multiple entry lines for names on accounts. Many of our customers are same households with different last names. We would like to be able to put both names on the account and be able to locate the account by either name. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane....

two variables
I have a query that asks for collcode, collcode2 and booth. On any given day an employee may be collcode or collcode2. I would like to know how many times a certain emp has been paired with another employee. So how do I ask if an employee has been collcode/collcode2 and who the other person was? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks for any help Query one: SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Booth FROM YourTable UNION ALL SELECT CollCode2, CollCode, Booth FROM YourTable Query Two SELECT CollCode, CollCode2, Count(CollCode) AS TIMESPAIRED FROM QueryOne GROUP BY CollCode, CollCode2 IF y...

Show worksheet name
Could you please help. Is it possible to show the workbook name and all worksheet names of a closed xla and have them listed in a spreadsheet. I have looked at Mr Pearsons website but cannot find anything regarding this matter. Thank you for your help. JB John, Here's some VBA that will read the sheet names from a workbook. Dim objConn As ADODB.Connection Dim objCat As ADOX.Catalog Dim tbl As ADOX.Table Dim iRow As Long Dim sWorkbook As String Dim sConnString As String Dim sTableName As String Dim cLength As Integer Dim iTestPos As Integer Dim iStartpos As Integer sWork...

A formula that reports sheet names
I am after a way to automatically report the name of a worksheet into a cell. Is there a way to do this? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi David, From: David McRitchie (dmcritchie@msn.com) Subject: Re: worksheet tab View: Complete Thread (14 articles) Original Format Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.misc Date: 2002-12-31 06:51:28 PST =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255) I found this using Google Excel newsgroup search. Hope this helps. Regards, Kevin "DavidObeid" <DavidObeid.y93ja@excelforum...

Find two PCI instance but load Init() one time
Hi all, I'm developing a stream interface driver for my PCI device under WinCE 6.0 and this driver works very well currently. Now, I got a problem when testing two the same PCI devices with my stream driver. The registry can find two PCI instances (i.e. PCI\Instance\mydrv1, PCI\ Instance\mydrv2) but system only call my XXX_init() one time. Does anyone know what the problem is? The following information is my registry setting: ================================================================== [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\PCI\Template\mydrv] "Dll"="myd...

Comparing two lists for matches
Hi, I am trying to do the following: There are two sets of supplier lists - A List and B List. I need to compare the two lists. Source A is my master. Source B is a subset of that but has contact information for all the suppliers. Hence, my goal is to retrieve the contact information from Source B and match it to the suppliers of Source A. The above can be easliy achieved using a vlookup funtion. But the problem is that some of the supplier names in the two lists are not exact matches. Hence, vlookup does not catch it. For instance, a supplier is listed as ABC Inc. in A list and as ABC, inc....

Compare two lists of names
Can you compare two lists of names where one list is last name first and the other is first name last? try this formual: =RIGHT(TRIM(E2),LEN(E2)-FIND(" ",E2))&" "&TRIM(LEFT(TRIM(E2),FIND(" ",E2))) it will convert First name last name to last name, first name or Visa versa. then you can compare your lists. "ea" wrote: > Can you compare two lists of names where one list is last name first and the > other is first name last? ...

auto category transactions by payee name
Money automatically categorizes some items. Can I customize where they go by keywords and such for every time I import transactions? ...

Two copies of all Mailboxes
Using my sbs2003 srver with exchange 2003 installed - I notice two copies of all users mail box in the list of mailboxes using outlook 2003 on the same server. When I try to close these I get an error syaing mail boxes in use. I cn not remove them. Can you tell me how to remove these so I have just on mail box visible per user? thx Kevin Cain Class TECHNOLOGY ...

How do I create a chart on two axes with two lines and a bar
I am trying to compare two final stock prices to the average volume. So, teh left axes would have the numbers for the stock prices, and the right axes would have the volume. The two stock prices would be lines using the left, and the volume a bar using the right. I can do one line and one bar, but I can't figure out two lines. Can anyone help? Forget the built in custom types. It's better to build your own. Create your chart using all the data, to produce a chart with three line series all on the primary axis. Select the Volume series, and on the Chart menu, use Chart Type to ch...

Pre-fill a User Name on Onload
I am working with CRM 4.0. I have created a custom entity called Projects and have created a relationship with the User system entity and have named it Editor. I would like to pre-fill the name of a person in the Editor. I am new to java script. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hi Andy, Following URL is from CRM SDK. It will guide you how to write JScript code for lookup field; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb928151.aspx -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP Microsoft CRM Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.suppor...

how do I display last two digits of a SSN in a separate column
I am trying to create a formula to take an existing list of 8 or 9 digit numbers and display the last two numbers in a separate column. Is this possible? Try =RIGHT(A1,2) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "katbone1" wrote: > I am trying to create a formula to take an existing list of 8 or 9 digit > numbers and display the last two numbers in a separate column. Is this > possible? Hi Use a formula =3Dright(A1, 2...