Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing

I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive.  However when I try to
open it.  It has an Error Message:
File in use.  Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked
for editing.  Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel'

I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if
there was.  Can anyone help?

Maybe:

http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly
or
http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen

Both from Debra Dalgleish's site.

--

Dave Peterson
0

How to change default 'Files of Type' to open only .pub files
Is there a setting in the registry or elsewhere so that when I File-Open I only get .pub files & not have it default to Files of Type "All Publisher Files"? It takes a long time for it to find all the files with various extensions. PUB files are all I want. -- T.G. Lambini Create a folder in My Documents, name it Publisher or whatever, Open options in Publisher, general tab, click the publication line, click modify... browse to the folder where you want Publisher documents to go. Drag all your Publisher documents to this folder. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.mi...

trying this out
This is a test posting. On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:06:51 +0800, "hmmmm" <bobo123@dotdot.dyndns.org> wrote: >This is a test posting. > Please use microsoft.public.test or microsoft.public.test.here for your testing. This is a working newsgroup. If you have questions about an Access database, please post them. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

How do I prevent "Help" from opening when I open Excel?
Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. How do I pevent this? I only want Excel to open with a new sheet. -- Lee P Lee Help or TaskPane. For Help, you should be able to close it using the "x" and next time open Excel should not display. If TaskPane, go to Tools>Options>View and uncheck "Startup Task Pane" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:29 -0800, "Lee P" <LeeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. >How do I pevent this? I only want Exce...

Excel 2000/2003 conflict
Whenever I try to open excel files created using 2000, 2003 gives me errors on simple formulas. For example, a SUM formula is marked as an error and displays a wrong number, when I go up to the formula bar and hit enter without changing the conents it recalculates to the right answer. There is many more errors such as "inconsistent formula" or "lost visual basic project" which doesn't allow a 2000 file open without repair. Is there anything I can download to fix all of this together or will I have to fix them all by hand? Does this have to do anything with the differen...

saving pub file as .htm or .html
I just reformatted my hard drive and re-loaded Office 2003. Previously before uploading to my host server I saved my file as htm or html file--now there doesnt seem to be that option in the "save as type" file...am I missing something, do I need to install an update or an extra or did I reload the wrong version of Office/Publisher? (I thought I had 2003 previously) thanks in advance Select File, Save as a website. -- Don - Publisher 2000� Vancouver, USA "segsig" <segsig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32A9EBC2-2AE6-4529-9E21-83E71789C37E@m...

I am trying to round up to the nearest 25 cents
I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps rounding to the nearest dollar HELP Try =CEILING(A1, 0.25) In article <2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com>, sypher <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps > rounding to the nearest dollar HELP =ROUND(A1*4,0)/4 -- HTH Bob Phillips "sypher" <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com... > I am trying to round a mone...

Notify Alert does not work in Excel
In a network environment, opening an Excel workbook that is already opened by someone else, prompts me with a choice of "Open as Read-Only, or choose Notify to be alerted when it is available". Although I choose "Notify", I do not receive any notification when the file is closed. Is there a setting within MS Office that needs to be configured for this feature to work? ...

No sounds in excel 2003
All of a sudden I don't hear any sounds with excel. When I go to control panel and sounds I can click on the test button for all the normal sounds, critical stop, default beep, etc. and I can hear them but those same sounds for alerts in excel I get nothing. All other sounds work, like with games and such. It seems to be isolated to excel and maybe other office suite programs but I use excel alot and that's where I first noticed it. any suggestions? al Tools|Options|General tab make sure "Provide Feedback with Sound" is checked. If that doesn't work, I'd unin...

Accumulate weekly time to total time in Excel.
I need to maintain project total time by incrementing the value based on people entering amount of time that a project was worked on. The weekly value of entered time will not be stored on a weekly basis. I would like to have the value for total project time increment its value based on the entered value by the person for the time worked in the week. ...

Trying to clear up Received but not invoiced report
I am trying to clean up the received not invoiced items. The problem began with entering a purchase order and then not matching the invoice to the items received agaisnt the purchase order. SO we thought that doing a returned transaction entery would solve the problem. The only thing is now the return shows up on our Received/ Not invoiced report. And the report is becoming a huge mess and difficult to use. What is the best way to clear up items that have been received but were not matched and already paid through the invoice entery? There is a knowledgebase article on this very thing av...

How do I... On opening file from hard disk, open a form
Hello, Microsoft Access 2003. I would like my Main Menu form to open when a user opens my database. So far I am in no way networked or web based, I'll probably get there but right now I have a file (Inventoryv4.mdb) that resides on the user's hard drive. when she opens this file, I would like my main menu form to open, instead of her having to go through the little task pane and dbl clk on frm_MAINMENU. How might one do this? ***Note: I need the task pane with all the tables queries, forms etc to still be there, just in the background, preferably minimized, and the main men...

send/receive (2nd try)
New computer. Microsoft XP Home. Microsoft Office XP Small Business 2002. Earthlink dial-up account. Two e- mail accounts. After opening Outlook, 1st send/receive (option 3, all accounts) usually prompts for both passwords, downloads messages, all good. Next time, though, no prompt for account 2, error cannot connect to server, account 1 usually gets messages. Every five minute send/receive option eventually degenerates to cannot connect to server errors for both accounts. Meanwhile internet browsing slows to a crawl. Any ideas? ...

owa cant open ppt attachments

Excel VlookUp prob
hi guys i am doing 3 search fields. 1 for ID , 1 for Name and 1 for Yea Joined. the function for ID works. it returns me the values of it -> =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(ID,Datas,3,FALSE)),"No Suc User",VLOOKUP(ID,Datas,3,FALSE)) but when i tried it for Name n Year. It doesnt work although i hav made all the neccesary changes. Why is this so? Please help me . Thanks for all ur repl -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi can you post your used formula which does not work -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > hi guys > i am doing 3 search fields. 1 for ID ,...

How do I cancel a msg Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully?
How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully due to a huge email message I tried to send with way too many attachments? It's stuck in "send" mode, and as a result, I can't send any emails because Outlook cannot get past trying to send this message. How do I cancel a pending outbox transmission while it's trying to send? I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Please help! Angelczech wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 07:32 > How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send ...

Publisher 2002 on Win98
Dear all, Situation: Upgrade of Publisher to 2002 on Windows 98 (to take advantage of compression etc). Save Publisher files (doesn't matter what format) on another machine which uses Windows XP with Publisher 2002. Note: the two machines are different operating systems only. Open files on Windows 98 with Publisher 2002. It takes a little while and then crashes asking me if I want to restart. The safe mode option doesn't help. The details are quite long (and I cannot select them anyway). But The main error message displays: AppName: mspub.exe AppVer: 10.0.4128.0 ModName:mso.d...

Accessing pst file: administrator permission
I've been trying to access a pst file I saved to disk, but when I try to uncheck the 'Read only' box in file properties (which I presume is what's stopping me accessing the file), I keep getting the message: 'You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes'. Any ideas of how I do this? Thanks Apparently your Windows Vista/7 workstation doesn't see you logged on with local administrator rights and/or you don't have full access rights to the file in question. Are you logging on with local administrator rights? &qu...

Help Please
I would be grateful if somebody could advise if there is a simpler way of deleting duplicated cells in a spreadsheet Spreadsheet Add1 Unique Add2 Add3 Add4 Populated via If Statement (Thanks to Frank) PCode Vb Code tagged to the end of a macro Range("B2").Select If B2 = E2 Then E2 = ClearContents Selection.ClearContents End If Range("C2").Select If C2 = E2 Then C2 = ClearContents Selection.ClearContents End If Oddly this works and the duplicated cell is deleted but my problem is that I would need to enter this code per cell and colu...

excel 2003(SP3)
Hello I have 2 workbooks opened, with a workbook_deactivate sub defined When I ask to close (red cross), the save window appears and i click to 'Yes to all', but the workbooks stay opened, and not saved! the problem is not on my code, because if i have a sub like that: Sub Workbook_deactivate() msgbox "hello" end sub the problem is still here. And if i remove completely this sub, it works fine(workbooks saved and closed! It can be tested very easily. Create 2 workbooks with the workbook_deactivate like here, then modify any data in sheets of the two workbooks, then clic...

Opening other peoples mailbox
I have exchange 2000 and exchange 2003. When I move a mailbox to exchange 2003, I no longer can open that particulare mailbox in outlook. I am an administrator in exchage, and in exchage 2000, I could add a persons mailbox to my folder list and view all of their folders. The error I get in outlook is "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft office outlook could not access the specified folder location." I also have noticed when I go into E-mail accounts in outlook 2003, on the Advanced Tab under "open these additional mailboxes", the mailboxes on Exchange 200...

trying to insert a 0 in front of zipcode
Hello, I do not use excel at all so i have no clue! I have a list of daycares that i want to create mailing labels with...about 700 of them but the problem is my zipcode column there needs to be a zero in front of all 700 zipcodes how to i insert a zero in front of them without having to type it into each box? the other question is can i print labels directly from excel or do i have to go thru ms word? thanks Greg One of these 1) format the cells with custom format 00000 2) format the cells with Special / Zip Codes 3) format the cells as Text 4) begin all zip codes with an sin...

OL2002 won't open when clicking on web links
I have WinXP home ed., Office XP small bus. ed., with outlook 2002. It was working fine but now when I click on a link on a web page I get a message saying "cannot open microsoft outlook. can't create item." I tried reinstalling officeXP and also went into file associations and made sure the URLmailto was associated with outlook. In IE 6.0 it does show outlook as being the default mail client. Email me if you can help! Thanks! ...

When Outlook 2003 Opens...Word Opens
Hi, Every time I open Outlook 2003 on my XP Pro machine it also opens Microsoft Word...and a tray icon says "outlook is synchronizing folders". How do I stop Word from launching? Thanks in advance, Paul Don't set Word as your e-mail editor in Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Format -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Paul Reed" <prreed@jacksonreed.com> wrote in message news:ugty1In9EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... &...

VBA Excel Macro worked for 2-years now dosen't??
Is there a limit on how much code you can place in a VBA file?=A0 All works well except the macro I call "VacUsed"=A0 It is called from a couple of procedures I post the last procedure=A0"ThisWorkBook" use to close and save the workbook.=A0 Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)=A0 =A0 =A0 Call FilterTestOff=A0 =A0 =A0 Call VacUsed=A0 =A0 =A0 Call DeleteMenu=A0 =A0 =A0 Call AllProtect=A0 =A0 =A0 Sheets("VacationAccrued").Activate=A0 End Sub=A0 Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As=A0Boolean)=A0 =A0 =A0 C...

How can I batch open a txt file in excel 2003 and save back as a .
I have about 3000 .txt files I need to open in excel and just save them. Is there a way I can batch run these? It would involve opening the txt file and saving it as the same name. Try this macro. Change "MyFolder" to the actual path. To use, open up a new workbook, press ALT+F11, go to Insert > Module, and paste in the code. Press ALT+Q, go to Tools > Macro > Macros and run it. Sub ChangeXLS() 'Constructive criticism from VBA programmers appreciated Dim MyFolder As String Dim NewName As String Dim OldName As String Dim patharray As Variant MyFolder = "C:\P...