trying to insert a 0 in front of zipcode

Hello, I do not use excel at all so i have no clue!
I have a list of daycares that i want to create mailing labels with...about
700 of them but the problem is my zipcode column there needs to be a zero in
front of all 700 zipcodes how to i insert a zero in front of them without
having to type it into each box? the other question is can i print labels
directly from excel or do i have to go thru ms word?
thanks
Greg

One of these
1) format the cells with custom format 00000
2) format the cells with Special / Zip Codes
3) format the cells as Text
4) begin all zip codes with an single quote (apostrophe) (will not show in
cell nor will it be printed)

1 and 2 can be applied retroactively - ie to existing entries
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"hlander9" <hlander9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I do not use excel at all so i have no clue!
> I have a list of daycares that i want to create mailing labels
> with...about
> 700 of them but the problem is my zipcode column there needs to be a zero
> in
> front of all 700 zipcodes how to i insert a zero in front of them without
> having to type it into each box? the other question is can i print labels
> directly from excel or do i have to go thru ms word?
> thanks
> Greg

0
Bernard
1/12/2010 3:50:45 PM
You would be much better of using Word for the mailmerge with Excel as the
source.

You could do it in Excel alone but you can waste a lot of paper and labels
with trial and error printing.

See these sites for help on mailmerge.

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm

Note on the leading zeros.

If you simply format to show leading zeros, these will not show up in Word's
mailmerge.

You must re-format in Word using Word's field codes.

You may want to actually add the zeros in Excel.

In an adjacent helper column enter  =TEXT(cellref,"00000") where cellref is
first cell in your ZIP CODE column

Drag/copy down as far as you need.

Copy that helper column and Paste Special>Values on top of your original ZIP
CODE column.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:22:01 -0800, hlander9
<hlander9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello, I do not use excel at all so i have no clue!
>I have a list of daycares that i want to create mailing labels with...about
>700 of them but the problem is my zipcode column there needs to be a zero in
>front of all 700 zipcodes how to i insert a zero in front of them without
>having to type it into each box? the other question is can i print labels
>directly from excel or do i have to go thru ms word?
>thanks
>Greg

0
Gord

trying this out
This is a test posting. On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:06:51 +0800, "hmmmm" <bobo123@dotdot.dyndns.org> wrote: >This is a test posting. > Please use microsoft.public.test or microsoft.public.test.here for your testing. This is a working newsgroup. If you have questions about an Access database, please post them. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Microsoft Word 12.2.0 refuses to open under Snow Leopard
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I've recently Installed Snow Leopard. When I try launching MS Word, it shows me the startup screen and then "Optimizing font menu performance" and that's as far as it goes. Any suggestions? Czet Hi Czet, open Font Book, select all your fonts, then click on Edit>Resolve Duplicates. Once you've done that, restart your Mac to clear out the font caches. This is a known side-effect of installing Snow Leopard. On 09/09/09 22:28, in article 59b7c15c.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Czet@offi...

inserted graphic files don't appear in publisher 2003
Inserted graphic files in publisher 2003 don't appear. The picture placement markers are there. I can move the blank insert. I just can't see it. Any suggestions? What happens if you go to View > Pictures > Detailed Display? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "terpgirl" <terpgirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7631F23A-61A9-4D07-821E-C0A2D6CE911B@microsoft.com... > Inserted graphic files in publisher 2003 don'...

I am trying to round up to the nearest 25 cents
I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps rounding to the nearest dollar HELP Try =CEILING(A1, 0.25) In article <2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com>, sypher <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps > rounding to the nearest dollar HELP =ROUND(A1*4,0)/4 -- HTH Bob Phillips "sypher" <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com... > I am trying to round a mone...

Trying to clear up Received but not invoiced report
I am trying to clean up the received not invoiced items. The problem began with entering a purchase order and then not matching the invoice to the items received agaisnt the purchase order. SO we thought that doing a returned transaction entery would solve the problem. The only thing is now the return shows up on our Received/ Not invoiced report. And the report is becoming a huge mess and difficult to use. What is the best way to clear up items that have been received but were not matched and already paid through the invoice entery? There is a knowledgebase article on this very thing av...

CRM 3.0 Mail Merge Question
Hello everyone, Can someone tell me how to create a popup window in MSCRM SFO 3.0 Mail Merge. I need a popup window to let the user know that the field in the mail merge template is "null". The user does not want to have to read the document to make sure that all database fields are there. I have tested out a script to place text in the document at the location of the field but I need a popup window to alert the user. ...

send/receive (2nd try)
New computer. Microsoft XP Home. Microsoft Office XP Small Business 2002. Earthlink dial-up account. Two e- mail accounts. After opening Outlook, 1st send/receive (option 3, all accounts) usually prompts for both passwords, downloads messages, all good. Next time, though, no prompt for account 2, error cannot connect to server, account 1 usually gets messages. Every five minute send/receive option eventually degenerates to cannot connect to server errors for both accounts. Meanwhile internet browsing slows to a crawl. Any ideas? ...

surveys in ms crm 4.0
we want to develop a survey application in ms crm 4.0 . IS there any way to do it ??? If yes then how ?? thanks in advance If this is a "permanent survey" like a customer satisfaction survey sent after each resolved case, then you can create a custom entity and link it to the relevant entity (case in this example). Secondly, create a custom aspx application which collects this survey information and uses the CRM web services to create a record for that. "nafees ahmed" wrote: > we want to develop a survey application in ms crm 4.0 . IS there any way to > do ...

Insert Row Every Other
I need to insert a row in between every other row. I tried to build a macro, but it specifies row#...there's got to be an easy way to do this...right? See 'this recent post' (http://www.excelforum.com/t214184-s) for similar problem. You just have to reverse it by bringing the data into a range of th same width as your original range and twice the # of rows. To the right of your first row of data, on a single row, select a rang with the same number of columns as your original range. Enter as an array formula =IF(MOD(ROW(),2)>0,"",OFFSET($A$1,ROW()/2-1,0,1,-w...

CRM 4.0 Cisco Unified Connector
Team, Does anyone have any experience with the Cisco CRM Connector in terms of hardware/software requirements, configuration…etc I am also not sure if the connector for CRM 4.0 is available… I believe the 4.0 Cisco connector is due for release imminently... :) ...

How do I cancel a msg Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully?
How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully due to a huge email message I tried to send with way too many attachments? It's stuck in "send" mode, and as a result, I can't send any emails because Outlook cannot get past trying to send this message. How do I cancel a pending outbox transmission while it's trying to send? I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Please help! Angelczech wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 07:32 > How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send ...

Integrating with SmartList 9.0
Hello, I'm adding a few fields to Version 9.0 of SmartList. In the past, GP has provided a sample integration to SmartList. I'm having trouble finding this for Version 9.0. Does anyone know if it's still available? Thanks, Mike Integration from what? -- Charles Allen, MVP "GPMike" wrote: > Hello, I'm adding a few fields to Version 9.0 of SmartList. In the past, GP > has provided a sample integration to SmartList. I'm having trouble finding > this for Version 9.0. Does anyone know if it's still available? > > Thanks, > Mike ...

Insert Row
Hi, I have seen the mvp link to insert row. But I have a few different needs. On my excel sheet, I have 2 tables, TABLE1 and TABLE2. I need to place 2 different command buttons, one for each table, which can insert rows on each table respectively. So when I press the button for TABLE1, it inserts a row below Row1, it copies the format from Row1,and pastes the format from Row1 to the inserted row (Row2). If I press it again, it inserts a row below Row2, it copies the format from Row1 again and pastes on the inserted row (Row3). I dont want to insert a row below where my curson is on the sheet,...

secondary category axis reset to min=0 max=0 on save
I have a combination stacked column, line, XY chart with all of the stacked columns and a line on the primary axis, and another line and XY plotted against the secondary (X & Y) axis. The secondary category (x) axis is a time-scale manually set to 1/1/2006 - 2/29/2008, with a base unit of 1 day. The chart is great except that when I try to save (or close & save) it, the secondary x axis is reset to min=0 & max=0, so everything plotted against the secondary axis effectively disappears. I can reopen the chart and set the secondary x axis to the appropriate date range and ev...

Upgrading to Outlook v6.0
I just upgraded to Outlook 6.0 and it erased all my previous mail. Can I get all my old emails back? J.C. Hi - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x microsoft.public.wind...

Scroll Bar or Spinner 0 to 100 by Hundredths
I'm trying to get a spinner control or scroll bar to increase the values of a cell from 0 to 100 by hundredths and I'm stuck. I've been trying using 2 cells and some creative formulas but haven't found the right combination. Anyone have a solution jump to mind? -- Paul Cross I put a scrollbar from the Forms Toolbar on a worksheet. I rightclicked on it and chose Format Control On the Control Tab, I set the minimum value to 0 and the maximum to 10000. And assigned A1 to be the linked cell. Then I put this formula in B1: =a1/100 It seemed to work ok. paul_cross@armtech.com ...

trying to insert a 0 in front of zipcode
Hello, I do not use excel at all so i have no clue! I have a list of daycares that i want to create mailing labels with...about 700 of them but the problem is my zipcode column there needs to be a zero in front of all 700 zipcodes how to i insert a zero in front of them without having to type it into each box? the other question is can i print labels directly from excel or do i have to go thru ms word? thanks Greg One of these 1) format the cells with custom format 00000 2) format the cells with Special / Zip Codes 3) format the cells as Text 4) begin all zip codes with an sin...

"node.InsertAfter" method only inserts node on final call
hiya, I succesfully return a "nodeList" thru the "xmlDoc.SelectNodes" method. This nodeList is taken from a repetitive, uniform xml doc. I can successfully append a child node at the correct position using the following code: <code> <!--Node successfully inserted into corrrect position in nodeList(0)--> nodeList(0).InsertAfter(additionalNode, nodeList(0).ChildNodes(5)) </code> However, as soon as I try to do the same with nodeList(1), then apparently the SAME code that previously inserted the node into nodeList(0) doesn't do its job. <code&...

Exchange Server 2003 Front-End Back-End Deployment
Hi guys, I am in the process of plannig a new Exchange 2003 Server Rollout. This is a new organisation without anything in place currently. Thus far I have concluded I will need: 2 Windows Server 2003 Standard, ISA 2006 Servers in DMZ filtering POP3, IMAP and SMTP with Network Load Balancing for Fault Tollerance 2 Windows Server 2003 Standard, Exchange 2003 Standard Front - End Servers in LAN with Network Load Balancing for Fault Tollerance 2 Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, Exchnage 2003 Enterprise Back - End Servers in LAN I am unsure how to deploy the back end servers for fault tollera...

GP 6.0 Security
Hi! I am setting User Classes in GP 6.0 and am interested if there's any document showing relations between windows, reports, files. Information in Tools/Resource Decriptions doesn't look usefull. For example if I need to enable Trial Balance Report option for the user, which Windows, Reports and Files have to be included in order for the report to print correctly without 'not privileged' errors. What should be better approach: disable everything and add wanted options or enable everything than disable just screens that I don't want users to see. Latter looks easi...

Upgrade 7.5 to 9.0
We currently have GL, AR, AP, Multi-Currency, SOP, Project Accounting, Fixed Assets, Field Service, Contract Administration, Inventory and eConnect. We are planning an upgrade from 7.5 to 9.0. Anybody done this yet and if so had any issues. charlie You should be aware that the documentation in the Great Plains Upgrade manual dated Jan 23, 2006 is not correct. Make sure you back up your SQL files as WELL ALL THE FILES UNDER your 8.0 install directory under program files. Even though the doc says it doesn't touch them and forces you to install GP 9 in another directory, the install ...

Why are pictures I insert invisible?
When I insert pictures into my blank document, they don't show up. The frame is there, but the image isn't. I tried with both jpg and gif, but neither shows up. The weird thing is, when I print the document, the picture is there! What is happening? makemeweak wrote: > When I insert pictures into my blank document, they don't show up. > The frame is there, but the image isn't. I tried with both jpg and > gif, but neither shows up. The weird thing is, when I print the > document, the picture is there! What is happening? Another lazy, dozy twonk who cannot be ars...

Difference between VS 6.0 & VS 8.0
Hi. I was working previously in VS 6.0 and now I moved to VS 8.0. mY QUESTIONS to you are 1.What extra files are created in VS8.0 when compared to VS6.0? 2.After converting a project from VS 6.0 to VS 8.0(since most of the samples and help i find is found from codeguru/codeproject),I cannot run any project in VS8.0,Why so? 3.Whats the difference in the VS8.0 architecture and VS6.0 architecture? thanks in advance Bhargs Suggest you start here http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/ Bhargs wrote: > Hi. > I was working previously in VS 6.0 and now I moved to VS 8.0. > mY QUESTIONS to yo...

Attend a FREE CRM 3.0 Seminar
Attend a FREE HiTech Institute Microsoft Dynamics Seminar on CRM, Axapta and BizTalk. HiTech Institute is presenting Microsoft Dynamics ERP and Business Connectivity software seminars at our downtown Toronto office - 2 Bloor Street East, Suite 2103. Our in house master certified experts will guide you through what you need to know to take advantage of Microsoft CRM - Client Relationship Management, Axapta - ERP and BizTalk - connectivity. In a few short hours we hope your tour will give you the know how to take advantage of a lot of the great features in these packages. You owe it to yoursel...