trying to add numbers in a column

I'm trying to add the numbers in a column.  The numbers are in h:mm:ss
format.  When I use the function =SUM(I2:I154) It returns a 0.  Any help
would be great! thanks!
0
Sari (5)

Sari wrote:
> I'm trying to add the numbers in a column.  The numbers are in h:mm:ss
> format.  When I use the function =SUM(I2:I154) It returns a 0.  Any
> help would be great! thanks!

Works for me....what version of Excel?

0
GordonBP1 (262)
11/22/2004 7:51:12 PM
The cell in which you have the =SUM(I2:I154) formula should have the format
[h]:mm:ss - it will then show the elapsed time as the result. Or if you
change the format of this one cell to 'General' then you should change the
formula to =SUM(I2:I154)*24 which will then show you the number of hours in
fraction form (for example if the sum of cells I2:I154 is 30 hours and 30
minutes, it will show 30.5 as the result).

Hope this helps.

"Sari" wrote:

> I'm trying to add the numbers in a column.  The numbers are in h:mm:ss
> format.  When I use the function =SUM(I2:I154) It returns a 0.  Any help
> would be great! thanks!
0
JK9968 (31)

"Gordon" wrote:

> Sari wrote:
> > I'm trying to add the numbers in a column.  The numbers are in h:mm:ss
> > format.  When I use the function =SUM(I2:I154) It returns a 0.  Any
> > help would be great! thanks!
>
> Works for me....what version of Excel?

0
Sari (5)

Custom column widths
How can I get Excel to accept a column width of 3.35? It changes it to 3.29. You are stuck with what Excel will accept due to Excel's method of setting width and height. Row heights are measured in points or pixels. There are 72 points to an inch and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch. The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell. When dragging the column width you will see two numbers.........one is width as above, the other is pixels. For an interesting and enlightening discussion on th...

Add Mailbox Error
Error trying to add a mailbox Exchange 5.5 Outlook 2000 When trying to add a mailbox (Right Click Mailbox > Properties > Advanced button > Advanced tab > Add button) we get this generic message: "The name could not be resolved. The action could not be completed" I was assuming it was a permissions issue and added Authenticated Users the Search right to the Server in Exchange Manager. However the issue still exists. Clicking the “Add” button immediately produces the error message. The Add Mailbox window never appears. Hi Joe First of all, that's an outlook...

I need to join some additional columns from SQL Server into the worksheet ...
Accounting has provided me with an Excel worksheet with several columns of data, one of which is AccountID. There is a table in SQL Sever which also has AccountID. I need to join (using AccountID) some additional columns from SQL Server into the worksheet as new columns, save, and then send the spreadsheet back to Accounting. What is the simplest method to accomplish this? I would prefer a non programming approach with the fewest steps so Accounting can do this themselves next time. DTS would be the easiest, if you can get the data into a staging table. Once the resultset is generated yo...

trying this out
This is a test posting. On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:06:51 +0800, "hmmmm" <bobo123@dotdot.dyndns.org> wrote: >This is a test posting. > Please use microsoft.public.test or microsoft.public.test.here for your testing. This is a working newsgroup. If you have questions about an Access database, please post them. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

limit size of integer in number field on form
I have a quantity per field set up in my SQL Server file (adp project) as precision 11 scale 5. This means the largest number I can store is 999999.99999 . I have a subform that this field is entered on (datasheet view) and if a user keys in a number that is 7 digits long (one longer than what is allowed) I get the error "multiple step operation generated errors". I can trap for this error in the forms On Error event but it's just the generic error 2757 which covers a lot more errors than mine. And the control.value doesn't contain what was keyed in, it just has the old v...

I am trying to round up to the nearest 25 cents
I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps rounding to the nearest dollar HELP Try =CEILING(A1, 0.25) In article <2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com>, sypher <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps > rounding to the nearest dollar HELP =ROUND(A1*4,0)/4 -- HTH Bob Phillips "sypher" <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com... > I am trying to round a mone...

port number problem
Platform : Windows Language : VC++ 7.0 Hi friends, When creating a server socket we want to specify a port number as follows. CSocket server; server.Create("100.4.55.67",7070); My question is that, is there any mechanism to pass an alias in the port number parameter such as we are passing an ODBC DSN for referring databases. With this mechanism the client side only want to know the alias name. therefore I can change the port number sometimes later in the server side. Please give a solution. yours lovingly, tony thomas, software engineer. ...

Cannot add extra mailboxes
Hi Newsgroup. I have a problem with some of my Outlook 2002 clients. When I go to edit the properties for my exchange server,=20 =FAnder Advenced I can choose to add other mailboxes, but=20 when I push the ADD button, it comes with an error. It says: The name cannot be found, I can't even type=20 anything, it just gives this error. (This is a translation from Danish) Anyone how can fix this ? What version of Exchange? If 5.5 you need to create the users as Windows accounts first before you create a new mailbox, if 2000 or later you need to use the ADUC to add the users to the AD before ...

Text in column causing SUMPRODUCT error
Greegings. I have a SUMPRODUCT formula that is having errors when one of the columns has text instead of a NULL or a number. If I delete the text cells in that column it works as desired. I'll give a simple example. Suppose I have the following in A1:B6.... a 1 a 2 a abc b 1 b 1 a 2 And I need this... =SUMPRODUCT(($A$1:$A$6="a")*($B$1:$B$6)) It errors out until I delete the "abc" in cell B3, then it works as desired. I tried to replace the "abc" with a 0 by trying this... =IF(ISNUMBER(B3)=FALSE,0,B3) And it works for that pa...

Cannot add business unit or team
Any of the 3 CRM system admin users I have tried couldn't add neither unit nor team. No modifications have been made to the security roles. Error message: UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.] Microsoft.Crm.Platform.ComProxy.CBizTeamClass.CreateAndRetrieve(CUserAuth& Caller, String TeamXML, Int32 Count, String[] Members) +0 Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.Team.InternalCreateAndRetrieve(String xml, String columnSet) Microsoft.Crm.Application.Platform.Entity.CreateAndRetrieve() Microsoft.Crm.Application.Forms.AppForm.RaiseDataEvent(FormEventId eventId) Mic...

Trying to clear up Received but not invoiced report
I am trying to clean up the received not invoiced items. The problem began with entering a purchase order and then not matching the invoice to the items received agaisnt the purchase order. SO we thought that doing a returned transaction entery would solve the problem. The only thing is now the return shows up on our Received/ Not invoiced report. And the report is becoming a huge mess and difficult to use. What is the best way to clear up items that have been received but were not matched and already paid through the invoice entery? There is a knowledgebase article on this very thing av...

Form with "unique number"
Hi, I'm in the transport industry and busy getting a fleet service register databae started, cause at this stage none exists. Now the Major Services gets done by our Suppliers, and the Minor ones by our own mechanics at our depot. This is my problem. Services done by the Suppliers get invoiced, so there's a Document for the event (an Invoice). Services in our depot are filled in on blank job cards. I would like to use Access to generate such a Job Card which can be printed, with the vehicle's details listed on it, as well as tne technician asigned to the job. Is i...

send/receive (2nd try)
New computer. Microsoft XP Home. Microsoft Office XP Small Business 2002. Earthlink dial-up account. Two e- mail accounts. After opening Outlook, 1st send/receive (option 3, all accounts) usually prompts for both passwords, downloads messages, all good. Next time, though, no prompt for account 2, error cannot connect to server, account 1 usually gets messages. Every five minute send/receive option eventually degenerates to cannot connect to server errors for both accounts. Meanwhile internet browsing slows to a crawl. Any ideas? ...

How do I format charge card numbers? #2
I want to format cells to accept charge card numbers with the spaces. Hi with the selected cell, right click, select Format Cells, select custom, and enter "0"'s where you want digits, and spaces where you want spaces, eg"0000 0000 0000 000". While when entering it will not have spaces, it will enter correctly. "tspraetz" wrote: > I want to format cells to accept charge card numbers with the spaces. Kassie, I did that, but for some reason it changes the last digit to a zero. "Kassie" wrote: > Hi > > with the selected cell, r...

how to add bound image to a form
I have problem to add bound image in the table. I want to do students database. Could help me to solve my problem. I want a form which can displays a different image as I look other students database Joe, If you open the form in design view, you should be able to drag the image from the field list onto the form. If haven't done it, you need to add an OLE type field to the table. God Bless, Mark A. Sam "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9A3E056-80C9-4D22-854D-D3C01E0E0FC1@microsoft.com... >I have problem to add bound image in the tab...

How do I cancel a msg Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully?
How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully due to a huge email message I tried to send with way too many attachments? It's stuck in "send" mode, and as a result, I can't send any emails because Outlook cannot get past trying to send this message. How do I cancel a pending outbox transmission while it's trying to send? I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Please help! Angelczech wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 07:32 > How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send ...

trying to insert a 0 in front of zipcode
Hello, I do not use excel at all so i have no clue! I have a list of daycares that i want to create mailing labels with...about 700 of them but the problem is my zipcode column there needs to be a zero in front of all 700 zipcodes how to i insert a zero in front of them without having to type it into each box? the other question is can i print labels directly from excel or do i have to go thru ms word? thanks Greg One of these 1) format the cells with custom format 00000 2) format the cells with Special / Zip Codes 3) format the cells as Text 4) begin all zip codes with an sin...

Number of different email accounts

VLOOKUP use column name not number
Is there a way to use VLOOKUP to search for a column name and return the value in that column, rather search for a column number. -- Thank you, Kathy kathy wrote: > Is there a way to use VLOOKUP to search for a column name and return the > value in that column, rather search for a column number. > Use INDEX/MATCH. Look here: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html#IndexMatch2 Something like this... =VLOOKUP("this",A:J,MATCH("column_name",A1:J1,0),0) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "kathy" <kathy@discussions.micros...

filter query based on single column list box
Thanks for taking the time to read my question. I want to filter this query by the values in my single column list box. I made this function to create the string, but the query doesn't like it. If I paste the string that the function returns into the criteria line the query works. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Brad SQL: SELECT tblPeripheral.Type, tblPeripheral.Location, tblPeripheral.[Serial Number], tblPeripheral.Model, tblPeripheral.Brand, tblPeripheral.[Model 2], ExportPeripheralInfo() AS Expr1 FROM tblPeripheral WHERE (((tblPeripheral.Type)=ExportPeripheralInfo())); Func...

how do I create more than 266 columns in an excel sheet?
My excel sheets have by default up to column IV (aprox. 266 columns). I need to insert more than this and also have problems with the option of "grouping" columns. When I have most of 266 columns in use and several "groupings", when I try to minimise them all (one by one), after a few, appears a warning pop up messge with a message "objects cannot be moved outside the sheet" and the action cannot be done (cannot mimise that group of columns and not anymore until I expand/ungroup others). The number of columns is limited to 256 columns. This cannot be incr...

can't add addressses to contacts from incoming mail
when I recieve email in outlook2002 I can see the persons name in the 'from' field, but can not add it to my contacts - there is no feature to do this. And if I click reply, it just puts the 'display name' and not the email address in the reply so I can not send them replies. The only way to fix this is to ask them to type their email address in the body of the email message and then add it to my contacts list. Is this a bug? Or a design feature??!! ...

Try or TRY
Hello, Will there be any opitmization or ... when we use INT or TRY macros instead of int or try ? Which one is better to be used? Thanks, JSmith "JSmith" <jsmithmitra@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23G1sOVdoEHA.692@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > > Hello, > > Will there be any opitmization or ... when we use INT or TRY macros instead > of int or try ? Which one is better to be used? http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_exceptions.3a_.converting_from_mfc_exception_macros.asp -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] FYI, TRY ...

Random Numbers #3
Hi Anyone, What I need is a Macro/Formula that generates 1 random number and doe not change when a drop down list is changed...Could anyone help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you may use the following macro which insert a random number in the active cell Sub rnd_insert() activecell.Value=rnd end sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi Anyone, > > What I need is a Macro/Formula that generates 1 random number and does > not change when a drop down list is changed...Could anyone help? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.E...