trouble with loop procedure

Can someone please tell me why this does not select A1 in all the sheets of
a workbook?
(I know there must be something wrong with the way the loop is designed as
it only does the active worksheet.)

Dim ws As Worksheet
On Error Resume Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Range("A1").Select
Next
Application.ScreenUpdating = true
End Sub

Also, I notice that when I hover the mouse over the
"Application.ScreenUpdating" part whether it is =true or =false, the yellow
box that appears always says ... = true.
I thought this would show false if false and true if true.  So is that not
working as well??
Thank you,
Rob

Rob,

When you loop through the worksheets in the For Each loop, the
active sheet doesn't change. It remains the same throughout the
loop unless you specifically activate another sheet. You could
change your code to

    ws.Activate
    Range("A1").Select
Next

or, better,

    ws.Range("A1").Select
Next

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"rob nobel" <robnobel@dodoNOGOOBS.com.auNOGOOBS> wrote in message
> Can someone please tell me why this does not select A1 in all
the sheets of
> a workbook?
> (I know there must be something wrong with the way the loop is
designed as
> it only does the active worksheet.)
>
> Dim ws As Worksheet
> On Error Resume Next
> Application.ScreenUpdating = False
> For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
> Range("A1").Select
> Next
> Application.ScreenUpdating = true
> End Sub
>
> Also, I notice that when I hover the mouse over the
> "Application.ScreenUpdating" part whether it is =true or
=false, the yellow
> box that appears always says ... = true.
> I thought this would show false if false and true if true.  So
is that not
> working as well??
> Thank you,
> Rob

0
chip1 (1821)
1/16/2004 11:08:46 PM
Thanks Chip.
The first one works great with Dim ws as Worksheet
Can't get the second (better) one to work though.....

Sub test()
Dim ws As Worksheet
ws.Range("A1").Select
Next
End Sub

Says, Application defined or Object defined error
Rob

"Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> Rob,
>
> When you loop through the worksheets in the For Each loop, the
> active sheet doesn't change. It remains the same throughout the
> loop unless you specifically activate another sheet. You could
> change your code to
>
> For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
>     ws.Activate
>     Range("A1").Select
> Next
>
> or, better,
>
> For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
>     ws.Range("A1").Select
> Next
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "rob nobel" <robnobel@dodoNOGOOBS.com.auNOGOOBS> wrote in message
> > Can someone please tell me why this does not select A1 in all
> the sheets of
> > a workbook?
> > (I know there must be something wrong with the way the loop is
> designed as
> > it only does the active worksheet.)
> >
> > Dim ws As Worksheet
> > On Error Resume Next
> > Application.ScreenUpdating = False
> > For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
> > Range("A1").Select
> > Next
> > Application.ScreenUpdating = true
> > End Sub
> >
> > Also, I notice that when I hover the mouse over the
> > "Application.ScreenUpdating" part whether it is =true or
> =false, the yellow
> > box that appears always says ... = true.
> > I thought this would show false if false and true if true.  So
> is that not
> > working as well??
> > Thank you,
> > Rob

I'm betting that Chip made a typo in the "even better" version:

Dim ws As Worksheet
    Application.Goto ws.Range("a1"), scroll:=True
Next

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

If "typo" means "didn't test" then, yes, I made a typo.

--

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> I'm betting that Chip made a typo in the "even better" version:
>
> Dim ws As Worksheet
> For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
>     Application.Goto ws.Range("a1"), scroll:=True
> Next
>

> rob nobel wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Chip.
> > The first one works great with Dim ws as Worksheet
> > Can't get the second (better) one to work though.....
> >
> > Sub test()
> > Dim ws As Worksheet
> > For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
> > ws.Range("A1").Select
> > Next
> > End Sub
> >
> > Says, Application defined or Object defined error
> > Rob
> >
> > "Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> > > Rob,
> > >
> > > When you loop through the worksheets in the For Each loop,
the
> > > active sheet doesn't change. It remains the same throughout
the
> > > loop unless you specifically activate another sheet. You
could
> > > change your code to
> > >
> > > For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
> > >     ws.Activate
> > >     Range("A1").Select
> > > Next
> > >
> > > or, better,
> > >
> > > For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
> > >     ws.Range("A1").Select
> > > Next
> > >

> > > --
> > > Cordially,
> > > Chip Pearson
> > > Microsoft MVP - Excel
> > > Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> > > www.cpearson.com
> > >

> > > "rob nobel" <robnobel@dodoNOGOOBS.com.auNOGOOBS> wrote in
message
> > > the sheets of
> > > designed as

> > > =false, the yellow
> > > is that not
> > > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
chip1 (1821)
1/17/2004 3:48:25 PM
Thank you both again.....but I'm staying right outa this one.

> Dave,
>
> If "typo" means "didn't test" then, yes, I made a typo.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>
> "Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> > I'm betting that Chip made a typo in the "even better" version:
> >
> > Dim ws As Worksheet
> > For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
> >     Application.Goto ws.Range("a1"), scroll:=True
> > Next
> >

> > rob nobel wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Chip.
> > > The first one works great with Dim ws as Worksheet
> > > Can't get the second (better) one to work though.....
> > >
> > > Sub test()
> > > Dim ws As Worksheet
> > > For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
> > > ws.Range("A1").Select
> > > Next
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > Says, Application defined or Object defined error
> > > Rob
> > >
> > > "Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message

> the
> the
> could

> message
> all
> loop is

> true.  So
> > > > >

> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
> > ec35720@msn.com

Email trouble with New User in Active Directory
Below is a trail of posts that have been made. My problem has yet to resolved and I need some help quickly. The only other thing I can think of is to reinstall Exchange Server 2003. Hopefully someone will know the answer. Thanks! Subject: Re: Email not Setup when new user created in Active Directory From: "Bryan Hill" <bthill@comcast.net> Sent: 8/15/2004 12:30:21 PM We have other clients that are working fine. Just when we try to set up new ones - it will create the SMTP address but not the X400 address. I tried manually forcing the X400 but it will...

Trouble with the template.
I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre top. This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the Administrator Template vis: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the desktop. I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates...

Hardware Upgrade Procedures?
Hello. This is my first post, so if it's not to regulations, please let me know, and I'll try and do better next time. So, here's the scenario. We have an Exchange 2003 system that is also functioning as a domain controller in an AD environment. While I know this is not recommended by Microsoft, we didn't have any choice at the time, but since then, we've not only upsized quite a bit (going from 20 users to over 100 in less than a month), but we've added another server that is now a domain controller. Recently, we purchased another server, far beefier than the Exchang...

trouble with CrmIsapi.dll
I was experiencing the same problem with the SDK as many have posted to this group ... "the WhoAmI() call results in a http error 405 when running sample code" I followed some of the advice; checked my .srf mapping to CrmIsapi.dll and re-registered the CrmIsapi.dll. when I re-register CrmIsapi.dll I get an error 80004005 - unspecified. ??? I copied it to various places and retried it ... same result. I got the original from the disk and retried ... same result. unmapped it from .srf, restarted and retried to register it ... same result. Anyone experienced this. What's up with m...

Trouble with Outlook 2003 and PST File
Hi, We have a user who is using Outlook 2003 and moves most emails to a PST file which is considered archived email data. They have reached the Max limited on this PST file of 1.99GBs and its not letting them open the PST file. It is trying to repair it when they try to open the PST file. Here is the message they receive: "Can't move the items. The file <path>\<filename>.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them." I can't even get it open to delete...

unexpected conversion trouble

I am in trouble
Hi, I am a student in Cambodia.I don't have any girlfriend. I tried everything. I looked at them wrote poem to them it doesnt work. I got an account from facebook, hi5 friendster myspace. I have 0 girl friend. What should I do? I am so desperate. I am good looking and 250 kg only. Please help me or at least send me some foood I am hungry Best Regards Hungry Guy __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4944 (20100314) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com You're tr...

Trouble with Pivot Tables & Named Ranges
Can I use a dynamic named range setup in one file as a range in pivot tables in another file? When I have the data source file (with the named range) and the pivot report files open, the pivot reports update just fine. But the moment I close the source data, the pivot reports no longer can update and I get a message that the source can't be found. If I reopen the source, the pivot tables work fine again - but as soon as I close it up, the reports no longer work. The source file is very large and I don't want to open it every time I have to update all the reports tha...

Loop to cleanup data
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that is a dump from a survey. Problem is, sometimes the dump puts data that should be in one row on two. I need to write a macro that will see there is a second row, and if there is, move it up one row. It's easy to identify which rows need to get moved, because the data starts in column D rather than A. Problem is, I'm not good with syntax as you can see. I need the column name to stay the same, but increment which row I am on. I want i and p to keep track of that so that when I say Ci it equals C3 if in row 3, C4 if in row 4, etc. Excel reads it though as co...

Looping Macro to Find and Mark
Hi All, I am looking for a macro that will search a variable length column to find a specific embedded character string (regardless of case, i.e., "Display", "display", "DISPLAY" are the same) and then color code the found cell (any color) and place an "X" in the cell one column to the right of the found cell in the same row. Any help would be appreciated. Wish list: I would like to set the macro in motion to search all worksheets. Search column will always be the same on each worksheet. Will only search one column. Thank you, Tony You c...

Using CFileFind::FindNextFile() in a Loop
I have some doubt using CFileFind::FindNextFile() function. How can I use this function in a loop to check all files matching a particular criteria. When it gets the 'last' matching file what it returns? Also when it gets 'no more' matching files - what does it return? Please help with code example -- as MSDN doesn't say much clear about these things Sincerely Sanjoy Sinha Roy HCL Technologies SSRoy a écrit : > I have some doubt using CFileFind::FindNextFile() function. How can I use > this function in a loop to check all files matching a particular cr...

Invalid stored procedure error while trying to create a store in H
Hello, I have a store installation which includes headquarters. I was creating a store and I get an error with the message 'Invalid Stored Procedure'. I had already created 1 store and had no problems. Has anybody seen this problem? Any work around? ...

Trouble with "time" in formulas
I have a time sheet that looks something like this: A1=time...A2=time...A3=A2-A1+if(A1/24,1)...A4=if(or(A3<time(0,15,0),A3>time(4,0,0)),A3,time(4,0,0)) A1 and A2 are set up as dropdown lists and the times in the list are i increments of 15 minutes. WHat I'm trying to accomplish is (in cell A4 if A3 is between 15 minutes and 4 hours, then return 4 hours. if A3 i 0 or greater than 4 hours, return A3. If I enter enter times in A1 around 00:00 and A2 a little after 00:0 it works fine... example: A1=22:00...A2=01:00...A3=03:00...A4=04:00 A1=20:30...A2=00:15...A3=03:45...A4=04:00 A1=00...

trouble
I have been using my MS Publisher 2000 for over 3 years. Just recently I attempted to access the Publisher program and got the following message: "This application must be installed to run. Please run setup fom the location where you originally installed the application." I have done everything I know to fix this including uninstalling and reinstalling the program. I don't understand what happened overnight nor do I understand the instruction "run from the location you originally installed the program". I can not access the numerous publicaions that I have cr...

Trouble sorting a table???
Using Excel 2002) I am relatively new to Excel and can only really perform simple functions in a basic spreadsheet. The spreadsheet I'm having trouble with is pretty basic, but I'm having trouble sorting some of the results from a table. (I'll try and explain as best as I can) I have 10 people that I'm tracking 5 different things for (dates, debts, credits, items, number of transactions, and their balance as calculated in this table by simple SUM functions) I then have another table with these same 10 people with their total balance. This is the table I'm having t...

Full "Loop" jSON Example?
I am trying to do something which would seem so simple: I have a simple Class in ASP.NET that I want to set up to be called and consumed by a jQuery $.getjson() in a client-side JavaScript. The Class I want to serialize to json as very simple (except that it has two fields that are DateTime's and I've heard they're complicated). I'd love a sample (if anyone has one) of the full code of the ASPX that serializes and then delivers json (properly ContentType'd), AND a sample HTML with the jQuery that $getjson()'s it and uses it. I am having such a hard t...

Foreach Loop. Distinct
Hello, I have a list of objects: IList<Center> centers. Each Center has two properties: Place and Name. I need to create a loops through the distinct Places in all centers and for each Place displays the centers names. My problem is how here: foreach (Place p in centers. ??? Thanks, Miguel On 21-01-2010 20:10, shapper wrote: > I have a list of objects: IList<Center> centers. Each Center has two > properties: Place and Name. > > I need to create a loops through the distinct Places in all centers > and for each Place displays the centers names...

Having trouble
I have a set of numbers, a-e. A usually equals e but can be less. B remains constant. C is the sum of A and B. C cannot exceed D. D remains constant I have tried the following formula in the box for A, but C ends up being less than D when I want it to equal D =IF(C>D,E-(C-D)) What am I doing wrong? Uhh, I'm a little slow, but; If you are putting this formula in A and it's the same "A" that is part of the "C=Sum A & B" then I think you have a circular reference. In other words, you're asking xl to resolve "A" by asking "If C> D&quo...

loop thru cells to find matching record
I'm having difficulty with the following code. I think thre are several issues, perhaps the easier one first. When I set the following range, I noticed it didn't start at row 14 but at row 12, not sure why? Set rng = wsSheet.Range("A14:A" & Cells(65536, "A").End(xlUp).Row). I noticed that the message box shows cells I'm not interested in. The more difficult problem is per the following The active workbook, "sheet 1" has a lising of serial numbers, the serial numbers start at row 14, the exact number varies, hence the set rng as per abo...

Print Preview troubles
When I do print preview, the information in the scratch area gets overlaid on the document, and there are text boxes where there are none in the work area. In the work area mode, the docs look correct and the stuff I have in the scratch area is OK. It is a scrambled mess. I have used "bring to front" and its' mates-no help. Using Publisher 2002 to create a 8 page booklet on 11x17 stock. I may add: this document had been working but something happened to it, most likely my fault, but I do not know what. Thanks, Jim This was a bug in 2002. Drag the objects to the top or bottom in ...

Trouble with a domain with a
I'm trying to send email to the domain PCM-LWV.COM and I keep getting this NDR: The message could not be delivered because the recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid. Please check the address and try again, or contact your system administrator to verify connectivity to the email system of the recipient. < ylpvm25.prodigy.net #5.1.2> Everything seems fine with our exchange 2003 server otherwise. We are receiving email from this domain, and when we reply we get this NDR. We can send email to any other domain.. is it the - in the domain name?? I tes...

CDHTLMDialog troubles
Hi I'm justing to use the CDHTMLDialog with the following code IHTMLElement* pLinkElement = NULL; if (GetElement(_T("ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_tb1"), &pLinkElement) == S_OK && pLinkElement != NULL) { BSTR current; pLinkElement->get_innerText(&current); pLinkElement->get_id(&current); CString tt=_T("Hello from Callidus DHTML"); BSTR bstr=tt.AllocSysString(); pLinkElement->put_innerText(bstr); pLinkElement->Release(); // Thanks Heath } Sorry I posted too soon :) ----------------------------------------- I'm just ...

Having trouble connecting to Hotmail?
Add your comments here! Maybe someone at MS will see them and actually DO something. ____________________ Outlook 2007 on Vista Ultimate 32 bit........ I have a paid hotmail account that I have been happily using for 2 years now. I always check it via outlook (2003 and 2007). In 2007, for about the past 45 days, I would get intermittent dialog boxes asking me to confirm my password. I would, and I would select remember this password and things would continue - until about 3 days ago. Then the dialog boxes would not go away in Outlook 2007. It constantly asked me for my password and wo...

Sudden trouble with Entourage and Word for Mac
Hope somebody can help -- here part of my Chat session with Apple Support to explain the situation. Last night, I downloaded the software update that came through on the automatic alert -- I think it was the latest OS X upgrades. At that time I did not restart the computer as I normally do, because I was working on other things. I simply chose the Shut Down option when I was done. This morning I started up again and since I did, I cannot get any of my MS Office for Mac apps to work properly. Since the only thing that changed was that the update was downloaded and must have been installed when...

Trouble with manifest...
Hello, I want create a MFC application that uses XP styles. When I use the application wizard in VS 2003 and tick the manifest option, it creates an application with a manifest file. The manifest file looks like the ones you can find in exampels and is named "ApplicationName.manifest", located in the "res" directory. "InitCommonControls();" is called in "InitInstance()". So everything looks alright to me, but I build the application and run it on XP it does not have the files. What I am duing wrong here? Regards, Thomas >I want create a MFC a...