Trend Line constants as Excel Cell Values

I want to put the constants of a 2 degree polynomial trend line into Excel
Cells. Are there formula's to do this? Equation is Y = Ax(2) + Bx + C. I want
the value of A,B and C in seperate cells. Can anyone suggest how this can be
done? Thanks
--
Ken
0

Hi Ken,

Supposing your x-range is in A2:A10, and y-range in B2:B10,

select a 3-column x 1-row area and enter the following formula and confirm
with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER.

=LINEST(B2:B10,A2:A10^{0,1,2},0,)

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"Ken" wrote:

> I want to put the constants of a 2 degree polynomial trend line into Excel
> Cells. Are there formula's to do this? Equation is Y = Ax(2) + Bx + C. I want
> the value of A,B and C in seperate cells. Can anyone suggest how this can be
> done? Thanks
> --
> Ken
Thanks B. R.Ramachandran again for your great assistance. Ken
--
Ken

"B. R.Ramachandran" wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Supposing your x-range is in A2:A10, and y-range in B2:B10,
>
> select a 3-column x 1-row area and enter the following formula and confirm
> with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER.
>
> =LINEST(B2:B10,A2:A10^{0,1,2},0,)
>
> Regards,
> B. R. Ramachandran
>
> "Ken" wrote:
>
> > I want to put the constants of a 2 degree polynomial trend line into Excel
> > Cells. Are there formula's to do this? Equation is Y = Ax(2) + Bx + C. I want
> > the value of A,B and C in seperate cells. Can anyone suggest how this can be
> > done? Thanks
> > --
> > Ken
0
Ken1 (215)

Excel / VBA / SQL DB
Anybody done any work with Excel / VBA / SQL DB? Can you give me some pointers on how I could do the following all in one VBA routine: 1) From a cell variable value (ie, user enters a customer code), I query table A and put the data into a worksheet starting from say cell A1. 2) A blank row is created after the last data line in point 1 above. 3) Using the same cell variable, query table B and put the data into the worksheet starting from the row after the blank row in point 2 above. and so on. Like I've said before I work with ASP all day and know about ADO connections, commands and...

Finding a line intersect
I have a chart with a number of intersecting lines. Can Excel or a plugin show me the XY values of the intersections? Mike Hi Mike, Maybe this will help. http://www.andypope.info/charts/intersection.htm Cheers Andy Mike Lipphardt wrote: > I have a chart with a number of intersecting lines. Can Excel or a plugin > show me the XY values of the intersections? > > Mike > > -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Insert PDF into Excel Cell?
I would like to do a MS Word mail merge using excel as the data source for a fax blast. However, I need to send a specific page to a specific fax number. I was thinking of setting up an excel document with [name, fax number, document] columns as the data source, and then merge with my word document. My concern is that each recipient get the correct (individualized) page, along with the cover sheet. Is is possible to embed a file (pdf or word) into an excel cell? That way, i could use the excel file to set up the merge (Name1, Fax Number1, Document 1; Name2, Fax Number,2 Document 2; Name3,...

What is the issue with working with an Access DB in an on-line/off-line environment
Hi All I use an Access DB for my VB front-end and 95% of my users are laptops/desktops linking to a Domain/Win server/Active Directory setup. I currently have the Access DB and VB app located in the program folder of a PC, but as many users may use the same laptop/desktop as they login to their own specific user account I'm looking to move the access db to the user's My Docs folder (re-directed from the server with off-line access enabled on the laptops and disabled on the desktops) so that each user can run up the program, but actually connect to their data file (access db) v...

XML validation of single value without entire XML document
Hi all, Does anyone know if it is possible, and if so how, to perform validation of a simple non XML string against certain XSD restrictions, without having the entire XML document to validate against the schema. To elaborate - - Within XSD certain restrictions are defined for a particular element/attribute, such as datatype, minlength, maxlength, valid enumeration values etc. Is it at all possible to validate a simple string value against these restrictions defined within the schema. I.e. I do not have the entire XML document that matches the schema. I do not even have any XML at all - I sim...

Invert Excel Selection
Is there a way to invert a selection of cells? If I manually select a1:d4, what keystroke sequence of menu sequence can I use to invert my selection so the only cells not selected are a1:d4? Thanks! ...

Excel #19
I cut and paste information form the web into excel and there are check boxes that are in the cells that I cannot delete no matter what I try. can anyone help with advice Can you delete all the objects? If yes, Edit|goto special|objects and hit the delete key. Might work for you??? frankk wrote: > > I cut and paste information form the web into excel and > there are check boxes that are in the cells that I cannot > delete no matter what I try. can anyone help with advice -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Small problem with a line chart
Hi I have a smal problem with a line chart. The chart shows progress of my teams league points over a season, the data is derived from a series of rows which I fill in after a game. In the data, I am using COUNTBLANK to have a blank cell until the row contains data EG =IF(COUNTBLANK(P53:Y53)>0,"",((P53+U53)*3)+Q53+V53) The problem is that the data series assumes unfilled rows (IE the future unplayed games) are zero, so there is a line that connects from the top of my line down to the zero on my X axis. I would just like the line to stop at the last value. Can anyone suggest a w...

prevent certain cells from printing
Id there a way to prevent the contents of certain cells from printing hi there is no built in function for this but you can.... hide rows hide columns change font color to match background color(white?) to hide areas, insert a label or text box to cover the area. there may be other way, this is just what i could think of off the top of my head. be creative. regards FSt1 "Wally" wrote: > Id there a way to prevent the contents of certain cells from printing If there is no common characteristic such as errors in these cells,... then there is no great soluti...

linear trend lines
can anyone help? I have to put 95% confidence intervals around a linear trend line. How do I work out the values for the trend line? I am using a scatter graph with 2 sets of data. Please help! --- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ The confidence bound for the estimated line at x is =FORECAST(x,known_y's,known_x's) +/- TINV((1-conf)*2,COUNT(known_y's)-2) *STEYX(known_y's,known_x's) *SQRT(1/COUNT(known_y's)+(x-AVERAGE(known_x's))^2/DEVSQ(known_x's)) the confidence bound for an individual observation at x is =FORECAST(x,known_y's,kn...

Selected cell position
I need to know how to read a selected excel cell's position from a macro. Thank you Rgds One way: With ActiveCell MsgBox "The active cell's position is:" & vbNewLine & _ "Left: " & .Left & ", Top: " & .Top & vbNewLine & _ "Width: " & .ColumnWidth & ", Height " & .Height End With In article <16bcd01c44893$10787a60$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Mario" <marcellmt@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > I need to know how to read a selected excel cell's ...

Excel spreadsheets and templates
I would like to create an Excel worksheet template that I can have populated by data in another spreadsheet. How can I setup an Excel template to retreive data from either another a worksheet or spreadsheet, if this is at all possible. I am currently running Excel 2002 on WinXP. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Shirley, Well, that's a pretty open-ended question. There are several ways to accomplish your task. However, you should explore the use of VLOOKUP and similar functions. Perhaps a good place to start is Chip Pearson's website at: cpearson.com/excel ...

Input cell should display a percentage of input value in the cell
Please read the below discussion and suggest an answer Many thanks for ur answer what if i want to change B1:B700(but want to leave one cell for sum total in every 8 cells down), similarly in C1:C700, & D1: D700 -- Life isa journey not a destination "Gary''s Student" wrote: > Put this event macro in the worksheet code area: > > Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) > Dim r As Range > Set r = Range("B9") > If Intersect(r, Target) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub > Application.EnableEvents = False > r.Value = ...

write XML with line feeds?
Hello World, any idea how I can convince MSXML.IXMLDOMDocument to save the XML files using CR/LF? I need to manually edit the XML files and it's awkward if everything is in one huge line. -- Arthur Hoornweg (please remove the ".net" from my e-mail address) Looks like you are using the MSXML 3.0 or 4.0 via COM? If you are doing this from a .NET environment, you can automate the indentation by passing the string through an XML Writer. If you just need it for viewing purposes, you could use some XML editor. VS.NET does a decent job. Also XML Spy & Cooktop. -Naraen ...

Need Help with Text Box in Excel 2008
I am having trouble and cannot find a solution...so far! I have a text box in worksheet1 and I need that information to automatically go to a text box in worksheet 2. I cannot find a way to make that carry over...I see that in the box that shows the cell#, it says TextBox 6, but cannot do a formula in worksheet two that it understands. I tried ='Worksheet1'!TextBox6 , but that did not work. I made a macro for this in an older version of Excel, but it won't work since Excel has eliminated macros from the new version. Thank you for any help attempts. Cyb...

How to have Excel move a row of data to another worksheet
What is the best way to accomplish the following: If cell C2) equal C3, duplicate entries that is, copy the two row to another worksheet in the same workbook? Chip Pearson has information on finding and tagging duplicate entries in a list. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm After they're tagged, you could apply an AutoFilter, and copy the visible rows to another sheet. There are instructions for AutoFilter in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html Eddie wrote: > What is the best way to accomplish the following: > > If ...

Cell Menu
I have the following code which adds the macros to the cell menu. How do I begin a group for the array or assign the array to a submenu. TIA Greg Might be nice if I added the code: Sub AddtoCellMenuAbs() Dim iCtr As Long Dim myMacros As Variant Dim myCaptions As Variant Dim cb As CommandBar Set cb = Application.CommandBars("Cell") myMacros = Array("Absolute.Absolute", "Relative", "AbsoluteRow", "AbsoluteCol") myCaptions = Array("Absolute", "Relative", "Absolute Row", "Absolu...

Sort Columns in Excel 2007
Is it possible? I cannot seem to find a way. Data menu, Sort. There's an Options button in the Sort dialog. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Saxman" <john.h.williamsREMOVETHIS@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:d-GdnV04zfbUY6HWnZ2dnUVZ8u6dnZ2d@bt.com... > Is it possible? > > I cannot seem to find a way. Do you mean sort left to right rather than up and down? If so, do Data - Sort - Options - Sort left to right, select the row you want to sort by and click OK. HTH Otto "Saxman" <john.h.williamsREMOVETHIS@btinternet.com> wrot...

Grid lines
I can't get my grid lines to work on Excel. Any suggestions? What does >I can't get my grid lines to work on Excel mean? Do ypou mean that they don't print? If so try: File > Page Setup > Sheet and check the Gridlines box in the Print section or you can put borders around the cells Format > Cells > Borders -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace@mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "W. Wells" <otf70@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:NaLZg.949$337.517@southea...

Excel installation prlem
On 2004-May-Friday - 09:04:57 was mail.tsamercer.org ( Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1) ) with the following IP 66.208.215.153 on your board Hi. I'm having a problem with a menu option in Excel 97. I am running Excel 97 in Windows 2000 Server with full admin rights. The following is a sequence of events which have led me to reqest help. I have a750 horse machine with 256 megs of RAM. I have two HD's, a 4. GB c: and 30 GB d:. I first installed Excel 97 on the d:. Whenever I attempted to open the option menu he program abended. I rebuilt the entire machine andinstaled...

Formating cells
Hi, need a help with cell formating. Would like to format cells so user cannot input more than 10 caracters into a cell and than 4 rows with 15 caracters into each cell possible input. Is this easy to do with excel? Thanks all BT Hi, Yes, use data validation (Data/Validation). Start by selecting the cells with the same restrictions (10 characters) then go to Data/Validation, select "Custom" from the drop down menu and type =LEN(A1)<=10 (where A1 is the active cell) , next click on the "Error Alert" tab and leave a message stating that 10 is the maximum characte...

How do I create a line graphs with months labelled in the X-axis?
I am trying to create a simple line graph with months labelled in the X axis and the frequency of an event noted in the Y axis? How do I do this? I have turned on the date feature and all of the tick marks are labelled J for January. I suspect you have multiple observations for January. In order to show January only once, you'll need to have just one January observation. "Aisha Khan" <Aisha Khan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD812177-FE02-443B-88BF-4C9DE87B72DD@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create a simple line graph with months labelled in...

Excel auto format
Is there a way to make changes to the canned auto formats in Excel 2002? I am working with pivot tables and want to change or create an auto format. Not that I am aware of. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Joe Mathis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15A07D39-E8DC-4BE1-A391-8D2253592E4E@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to make changes to the canned auto formats in Excel 2002? I am working with pivot tables and want to change or create an auto format. ...

Line Items skipped in PO Generation
We are currently using Dynamics GP v9.0. Our Purchasing Agent has been having a problem now for a couple of months when printing Purchase Orders - As she enters each item, they show correctly on the screen (1, 2, 3, etc), however upon printing the PO, line 2 (or 3) is left blank and then becomes 3 or whatever the next line item would be. The item is not 'skipped' on the PO, just moved down one line item, thus creating a 'blank' line item so that the vendor then thinks there is a line item missing. Any suggestions? This is happening whether there are two items or 20. t...

Excel 2002 Check for duplicates
Sorted an Excel list for a Pivot Table by Check number for the years 1997-2005. Any easy way to check for duplicates w/o getting into VBA? Check# 7894 7895 7895 7896 Try this, Dave: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/delete_duplicates_in_microsoft_excel.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "~Dave~" <dlcopesr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:11gjl0lhin4v28c@corp.supernews.com... > Sorted an Excel list for a Pivot Table by Check number for the years > 1997-2005. > Any easy way to check for duplicates w/o getting into VBA? > > Check# > &g...