Tracking Hours and Minutes

I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a
week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes.

I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time,
Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45
-for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a
length of time.

Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and
minutes over a week?

Thanks,

Jay
0
Jay1 (212)

Format as time with a custom format:
      [hh]:mm
the  square brackets will keep hours from overflowing into days.
---
HTH,

"Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C16AB8D8-C3AE-4D9A-9E6B-02B6568CF76A@microsoft.com...
> I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a
> week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes.
>
> I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time,
> Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45
> -for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a
> length of time.
>
> Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and
> minutes over a week?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/25/2005 6:44:43 PM
Jay,

I do this. I wish I could just upload my document right here for you to use.
I just use number format with two decimals. Then I round min. to the nearest
1/4...

1.25
1.5
1.75

The next step is to use miltary time instead of  standard time.

My worksheet subtracts my end time from my start time and tallies up the
entire week - no problem.

"Jay" wrote:

> I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a
> week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes.
>
> I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time,
> Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45
> -for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a
> length of time.
>
> Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and
> minutes over a week?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay
0
pro (7)
5/25/2005 8:12:07 PM
I also believe the OP needs to be entering times as times Excel can interpret
as times, he seems to be using decimals and he either has to convert them
through a formula or use an event macro that replaces the period with a
semicolon

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"David McRitchie" wrote:

> Format as time with a custom format:
>       [hh]:mm
> the  square brackets will keep hours from overflowing into days.
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C16AB8D8-C3AE-4D9A-9E6B-02B6568CF76A@microsoft.com...
> > I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a
> > week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes.
> >
> > I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time,
> > Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45
> > -for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a
> > length of time.
> >
> > Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and
> > minutes over a week?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jay

0
PeoSjoblom (789)
5/25/2005 8:23:19 PM
I hadn't noticed that, and now he added something else like maybe
he want to enter differently and I'm not sure what.

To enter as hours and decimal fraction hours one can enter  as
hours then  divide by 24 so that has fractional days for an Excel time.
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm
   http://www.cpearson.com/exce./datetime.htm

If on the other hand,  military time was mentioned which I take to be
four digits then Chip Pearson has a page for entry of Military Time
  Times, Quick Entry   http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm
As if typing a colon take too much time.

"Peo Sjoblom" <PeoSjoblom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4641CD29-6DD8-4CBD-9A3B-48CE99790E2F@microsoft.com...
> I also believe the OP needs to be entering times as times Excel can interpret
> as times, he seems to be using decimals and he either has to convert them
> through a formula or use an event macro that replaces the period with a
> semicolon
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> "David McRitchie" wrote:
>
> > Format as time with a custom format:
> >       [hh]:mm
> > the  square brackets will keep hours from overflowing into days.
> > ---
> > HTH,
> > David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
> > My Excel Pages:  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
> > Search Page:        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
> >
> > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C16AB8D8-C3AE-4D9A-9E6B-02B6568CF76A@microsoft.com...
> > > I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a
> > > week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes.
> > >
> > > I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time,
> > > Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45
> > > -for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a
> > > length of time.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and
> > > minutes over a week?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jay

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Template Wizard with Data Tracking
I have been using this add-in just fine for about a year, gathering data from about 20 users onto an Excel Database by having them all use the template. But I recently made some changes and then began having the following problem: After a worksheet has been created using the template, and saved as a new record in the database, and then we want to go back in to change the record and update it in the database, the option does not appear to update the database; the only options continue to be to create a new record or to proceed without saving to the database. It is as though the sys...

Message Tracking #6
What is the best way to check if your exchange sometimes doesn't accepts mail (delay) or doesn't send mails correctly (delay) Message Tracking ? But how do you actually do this Kind regards Guillaume Coign� "Guillaume Coign�" <guillaume.coigne@trust-it.be> wrote: >What is the best way to check if your exchange sometimes doesn't accepts >mail (delay) or doesn't send mails correctly (delay) Message Tracking ? >But how do you actually do this Assuming you're asking about messages leaving your organization, the SMTP protocol logs are the place to ...

How do I track half days in the attendance tracking template?
I've just created an attendance tracking template in Excel, however realized that there isn't an option to track half or quarter days taken off. Does anyone have any suggestions? A lot depends on how you've laid out the data. Instead of tracking whole days, can you track hours? 8 for a full day, 4 for a half day, etc. ...

Tracking GST/VAT in MSMoney Standard
I'm new to Money & processing small business accounts. Had no problems tracking & reporting VAT in Quicken & havegot Money to calculate VAT with each relevant entry. Somehow just not finding a report that shows VAT totals, taxable income etc. Please HELP!!!!! ...

Track Changes compatibility between versions of Excel
I'm planning to undertake a project which involves Excel sheets created in Excel 2003 and tracking the changes made to those sheets via Excel 97. Does anybody know of any problems with the compatibility of this function? This would help me out a lot. Thanks. ...

How to track meetings for a task?
How would you suggest to charge meeting time to a my Timesheet task? TIA! Depends on if it's a planned meeting or informal. I typically just create a bucket task through the entire schedule for "Meetings" or book it to PM time. You may also opt to create a distinct line item bucket task for status meetings as opposed to other ad hoc meetings. If it's a big phase gate meeting, I may list that specifically as a line item, but for anything less than that, it becomes too granular for effective management. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems...

Outlook 2000: Any way to track Calendar access
I've opened up my Calendar for anyone to read in Outlook 2000. Is there any way to track who accesses it? ...

Calculate per minute cost of cell phone usage
I have a spreadsheet that I=92m trying to use to calculate the cost per minute of cellular calls. I have 3 plans (in rows 3, 4, and 5) that each provide a monthly cost (column a), and the number of minutes included in that cost (column b). There is also a cost per minute if you go over that allowance (cell E2). I have a field (cell C7) that I use to enter the average number of minutes used. I have a drop down list (cell C8) that allows you to select the plan you have. I have a formula that is currently written as: =3DSUM(((C7-C8)*E2)+A5)/C7 where: C7 =3D average number of ...

track Shipment
Is it possible to set up the Track Shipment so when you click on TRACK it is automatically bring up a browser with the tracking information? For UPS what will be the URL to set up? ...

Problem in message tracking center
when i use message tracking center to search some e-mail in our exchange 2003 server,i find that some e-mail cann't to be in the search result.For example,I sent 3 email to my stuff,and he received all. Then i tracked them in the message tracking center ,only the first email could be tracked. Thanks for ang reply! ...

Change hours shown in daily view
I'm new to Outlook Office. My daily view shows from 12:00 AM to 11:00 PM. I just want it to show the hours I have set up as my day (8:00 AM - 7:00 PM). How do I do this? DavidTWG <DavidTWG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm new to Outlook Office. My daily view shows from 12:00 AM to > 11:00 PM. > I just want it to show the hours I have set up as my day (8:00 AM - > 7:00 PM). How do I do this? Tools>Options>Calendar Options will allow you to specify your work day. However, what that will do is cause Outlook to color the non-work hours differently...

Tracking of Birthdays in CONTACTS
In my contacts, I also key in their birthdays. How to make Microsoft Outlook tracks and alert me of Contacts' birthdays? outlook should create the appointments when you save the contact. if it doesn't try http://www.rsoutlook.com/us/prods/prod05.html -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &am...

can I track IRA contributions?
I have several mutual fund accounts set up as retirement accounts, and periodically buy shares in them as a monthly IRA contribution from my checking account. Is there any way I can get a report at the end of the year of all my IRA contributions for the previous year? You would think that by running Reports->Taxes->Tax Related Transactions that they would show up, but no such luck. The category of each transaction in my checking account is Buy Investment/CD which generates an activity of "Buy" in the investment transactions of the mutual fund account. I'm still on ...

tracking total portfolio value
How do you track the total value of a portfolio or investment account over time, on a daily basis? I want to be able to get a line chart of my portfolio value. I have dug through all of the reports and tried to create custom ones, but all I have been able to get is a line chart of monthly values, not daily. I know that the daily total is stored, because on the investing home page it shows the total value for 30 days ago. For instance, today it is showing the value for 7/28/07. ...

Sending Doc with Track Changes
How do I send a document in Final form so that edits aren't visible, if I haven't yet accepted the changes? No matter how I save the doc (as final, with show markup options deselected) the edits are always visible. Kimberly That depends entirely on the settings of the receiving computer. But unless you've changed something way down in the Trust Center, you'll see the same behavior on your own computer -- when you open a file that was last saved as Final, it will open as Final Showing Markup. On Jan 13, 3:57=A0pm, olliesf <olli...@discussions.microsoft.com&...

tracking
how do I track other users info on my comp as the administrator? ...

Consumption tracking?
Hello, is there any tool in MS Money to track home consumption of electricity, water, gas etc.? Nope. One way you can fake it is to enter the values in a predictable way in the memo fields (Utilities : Electricity category entries with memo like, say, "876 kWh") and then get the data from Excel with MoneyLink and then parse out the data you entered previously in the memo fields. Ugly, I agree. "Radomir Kurecka" <RadomirKurecka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78FC2CE9-D1D4-4F75-9410-9BACBFE74AF1@microsoft.com... > is there any tool in MS Mon...

Track changes #3
Hello All I am using Windows 2K Professional & Office97. I have a macro in an access mdb that outputs various files in excel format. Is it possible either: to use access VBA instead of the access macro to specify that the excel 'Track Changes' option is automatically set to 'True'; or to specify elsewhere that all new excel files to have the 'Track Changes' option automatically set to 'True' In either case, the sub-options 'When' should be set to All, 'Who' set to Everyone, and 'Where' should be left blank (i.e. applies to the who...

Limit the number of recipients only during certain hours?
I know we can set the max number of recipients for a message, but is there any way to set this between 8:00am and 6:00pm? We have users who on occasion need to send messages to a few hundred people, and I can't convince them to do so of hours only. I think eliminating their ability to do so during business hours might do the trick. Is there a way to do this? Alternately, it would also work if exchange would just hold messages like that till of hours. Any way to make that happen? Thanks! Mick This can be done through customized SMTP Event Sinks. Pardeep Singh Sr. Systems Engineer, I...

where can i get the Template Wizard with Data Tracking add in for.
i previously used exel 97 where i had a Template Wizard with Data Tracking add in that i used for keeping track of invoices. i am now using exel 2003 and i cannot find the add in nor can i figure out how to set up the data tracking for my new invoice template. can anyone tell me where i can find the add in or if there is a different feature of exel 2003 that will allow me to do the same thing? This link should help. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873209 -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Grou...

Show more than 23:59:59 hours with time calculations
Hi, This is a basic countdown formula that shows the time left, it i updated every time the worksheet is changed. =IF(((G3+I3)>G1),((G3+I3)-G1),0) G3 is the start date and time of the job (set in dd/mm/yyyy hh:m format) I3 is the number of hours estimated until the job is complete (set i hh:mm format) So added together G3 and I3 gives the date and time to be complete by. G1 shows the current date and time, using the NOW() formula (set i dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm format) So taking away G1 from G3 + I3 gives the time left for the job to b completed. However, by using an IF function to check tha...

To track or not to Track email
Hi everyone, We're just starting the move from Goldmine 6.5 into CRM 3.0. I've been looking through the group for "best practice" ideas and have a couple of questions re: email. We're intending to use CRM through Outlook (online). We've given up trying to get Outlook 2007 to work and have regressed to Outlook 2003. I'm trying to determine whether we should track or not track email using CRM's token system. All our mail - barring the limited spam - that arrives is work-based. However, using Outlook I know that some staff (e.g. sales) will be checking their pe...

Tracking calendar responses for a meeting invite
Hi I am unable to view the meeting responses that I had created using Outlook 2007 calendar, even though I receive the individual mail responses from the invited attendees. Is there a way to view the status from the 'Tracking' tab of the original meeting invite itself in the Calendar? regards Kums Do you OPEN each response? Where are you looking for the tracking data? What do you see when you look there? Do you have any rules that may be affecting the incoming response emails? Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook "Kums" <Kums@discussions.microso...

Case ID v/s Email tracking token
CRMers, When you create a case for a support email, by default the generated case id is of the form CAS-number-suffix. When a support person replies to the email, the CRM system automatically adds an email tracking token to the subject line. This email tracking token is not the same as the case id. Questions: 1. Why can't the email tracking token be the same as the case id? Won't it make sense to use case id to track emails for a given support case? 2. Even if they are different, how can I disable automatic placement of tracking token on the subject line? We do not wish to confuse th...

Show as Hours and Minutes
F14 has the final results for the amount of time. It currently shows: Example: 38, 72 etc.... I'd like for it to show 0 hours 38 minutes, 1 hour 12 minutes etc... Thanks in advance If you mean you want to see: 00:38:00 or 01:12:00 (real times) Then you could use a formula in an adjacent cell: =f14/24/60 But make sure you format this cell to look like a time. On 10/18/2010 16:38, Richard wrote: > F14 has the final results for the amount of time. It currently shows: > Example: 38, 72 etc.... I'd like for it to show 0 hours 38 minutes, 1 > hour 12 minutes etc... > Thanks ...