tough IF problem

I download a file into excel & have to deal with the fact
that it does not come out in a particular order.

So I have data as:

B1  C1      D1   E1
410 410-xxx data Result

My formula states =IF(LEFT(C1,3)=RIGHT(B1,3),E1,"")
and I get the answer "Result"

However, the download also places info as follows:

B1      C1   D1     E1
A222XXX HF01 Result 6.5

I have done an interim fix which will result in a long
winded route of getting all the "Results" in 1 column but
is there any way of having a single cell formula that will
pick up both "Results" whether they be in column D or E?

I don't think I can use a VLOOKUP as the "Results" in
question are actually dozens of different words.

Good Luck!

Money Report Problem
I am using Money Plus H&B and I am having trouble with a few of my reports. The report seems to be fine if I calculate my Profit and loss for the year to date but if I change the date to include the entire year or even a month later than today I have a problem. Sometimes I get a message that Money has encountered a problem and I check Okay other times Money just exits on its own. I seem to be able to run the same report for 1/1/07 to until about 11/20/07 without errors. This same situation occurs with 2 different reports which are for 2 totally different businesses. I even get...

Tough One, trying to count occurences of string based on string in separate column
Hi, For every occurrence of a string in Column A, say "question2", I'd like to count the number of times the string "satisfied" appears in Column B for the same row. The answer would be 1 for the following data. i.e. "satisfied" occurs "1" time for all of "question2's. I would like to be able to add data and sort it and the formula still work. I would locate the data on a separate worksheet from the output of the formula. question1 not-satisfied question2 satisifed question1 not-satisfied question2 not-satisfied question1 ...

Problem with duplicate entries after sorting
I have a problem that has stumped me and I was hoping someone could hel me out. I have data in rows 2 through 15 with a header row and the blank rows until row 51. After I sort the data, I am getting duplicat entries for the data that was oirginally in rows 2 through 15, but th data that was orignially in rows 51 through 500 is fine. Only a coupl get duplicated, not all of them. Here is my code.... Cells.Select Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("A2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Range("B2") _ , Order2:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:= _ False, Orienta...

Problem resolution for obscure problem of not being able to send emails
I thought I would get this into the record for the benefit of others having trouble with an obscure email problem. The symptom is that all of a sudden you can no longer send emails. Variations are that you can send emails, but not replies to emails; another is that problem is intermittant. Various similar error messages come back from the smtp server, but are all related to the smtp server closing the connetion. Keywords from the error messages and smtp log are inserted below. From my research, apparently everyone is baffled as to the cause, including Microsoft. Here is the solution for ...

Symbol LS9208 moving control problem
Hello Everyone ------------------------------------- I bought a symbol ls9208 scanner, but I am facing problem with its programming. Everytime I scan the barcode I have to press enter key 5 times to move to the next line. Any easy fix for this problem. Regards Amit ##-----------------------------------------------## Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/ Tax and Accounting Software Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - microsoft.public.pos - 40742 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------## If you should ...

Vlookup and IF function problem
Hi, I would like to do a kind of double Vlookup. I have 2 different worksheets with following information: Worksheet1 is the master file with all modells: 3 columns A B C B segment Honda Civic B J segment Honda Civic Coup´┐Ż D segment Toyota Avensis D ... Worksheet2 is the data file: 3 columns, of which 2 are filled A B C B segment Honda Civic ... J s...

table problem
I have a table with three columns of data. Column A contains a part number such as "Part XX", or "Part ZZ". Column B has a date in the 01/01/05 format. Column C has a numeric value. There are about 20,000 rows of data. The dates cover three years. For example: PartXX 1/1/05 123 Part XX 3/7/05 456 PartZZ 9/10/07 789 PartXX 1/1/06 159 PartXX 1/1/07 234 Eart part only has one entry for each date during the year. In the fourth column I'll add a column with all 365 days for the year. The date will be in the 1/1, 1/2, 1/3 format. I want to create an output which searche...

2006 Password Problems
I have been using MS Money for several years. The last version that I used, and was having no problems with, was MS Money 2005. I used the program on both my desktop and my laptop. I regularly backed up the data to a flash drive and transferred the file back and forth between the 2 machines. Then I upgraded to MS Money 2006 Deluxe. I restored the file from my 2005 version with no problems. I installed the 2006 to my laptop and transferred the backup file with no problems. I took my laptop on a 2 month trip keeping 2006 up-to-date and backing it up to my flash drive. Came home and tried to re...

AD Exch2000 problem help please
Hi When I go into AD Users Computers and Mailbox Rights of a user. I get this popu Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange EXtensio an invalid adsi pathname was passe id no: 8000500 ms ad - exchange extensio I cant change mailbox rights, when I go into ESM (exch sys manager) I cant see mailboxs but they are working as normal 50+ mailboxs on a server What can I do to fix this Thanks very muc Jon This sounds like a permissions problem or ESM problem. I would start by doing a reinstall of the Exchange System Management Tools. If that doesn't do the trick, then you can reinstall all o...

Outlook 2003 tough problem!
Many (but not all) of my e-mail messages are stuck in the outbox. When viewing the outbox, these messages have a date of "None" and sent status of "None". I often have to write a new message two or more times and send before they show up in the outbox with a send date (and will actually send when "send/receive" button is activated. Help, please! ...

MS Query problem
After battling with this problem for 3 years I guess it's time to ask for help. I have an Excel 2003 workbook with 6 different queries embedded. Up to 3 years ago they all worked fine. My problems may coincide with the upgrade from 2000 to 2003, but it's too easy to blame that. The queries query the same workbook (different sheets) where the queries reside. The queries return the correct data. However . . . Most of my attempts to edit the queries fail. Whenever I attempt to edit the query I get "ODBC Excel Driver Login Failed" and "Unrecognized databas...

entourage problem
Once again there is nothing to help me out on the support pages of Microsoft. I have a MAC with OS X, with all the latest patches, and Office X with all the latest patches. I use Entourage to connect to an exchange server using IMAP. I have also removed and re-added the account. All of a sudden when the user sends and receives he receives an error of: unrecognized internal error: 0x50b. Error: 1025 Any Idea's? Christopher Holley Look here for help, I believe you can search by error number, and there is a special page for dealing with exchange issues. http://www.entourage.mvps.org/ ...

CountIF problem #8
Hi, My brain isn't switched on this morning, this may be more straight forward than I think... I'm trying to do a Countif function, which only counts those in the range which are between "0" and "-2". Lets say the range is $A$1 : $A$50, and contains values between -3.00 and 5.00. How can i write this countif formula? It doesnt work the way i'm trying it! Many thanks in advance JJJ -- jjj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jjj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7424 View th...

Internet Explorer Problem???
I think I have a sepperate issue from RMS...I recently hooked up the internet to my network, and so all of my computers have IE access. What seems to be happening is that for whatever reason ONLY Register 2 gets kicked out of POS, and any other program that may have been running shuts down as well, and it asks send error report, or don't send error to MS. What could possibly be going on??? -- Thank You Vince :) ...

Problems again
When iI finshed last night, Money 2005 was working fine. Went to it tonight to update accounts - no longer can do so, again. Go to manage online banking - again, TD Canada Trust and BMO are not listed. Go to the "See the financial institions Money Supports" and both are listed. I just cannot get them into the list on my program. How do I do it? Barry ...

Problem with spreadsheet
First and foremost, I'd like to thank the admins of this forum fo providing a place to discuss excel. It's a great forum !! I do have a problem however. I am in the midst of creating an excel spreadsheet that will have 52 pages (1 page/week) Now there will be several columns and rows with weekly statistics and year to date statistics. What I need to do is learn how to creat 52 separate pages within this worksheet (let's say for argument sake name each page the date..i.e -Jan 04.....Jan 11...etc) and have eac page populate the previous week's year to date values when I add...

TRIM problem
Can anyone see anything wrong with this short sub - it seems to go into an infinite loop:- Sub Trim_Text() Dim cell As Range On Error GoTo ws_next5 For Each cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange ActiveCell.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Trim(ActiveCell.Value) ws_next5: Next End Sub All suggestions/help gratefully received and acknowledged! TIA Dan -- Dan E webbie(removethis)@preferredcountry.com Your code would only change the active cell, not each cell in the used range, and the Next keeps sending it back into the loop. You could use the following revisi...

Outllok problems
I have an 800MHz P-3 HP eVectra that I recently did a reinstall of the Office 2000 program and afterwards had to do a repair of the Windows 2000 installation. Now when the user opens Outlook, she gets the following message: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The Information Store could not be opened." The user is able to access her e-mail account through Web Access without issue. Any ideas? Assuming this is an exchange server your connecting to. Go to Ctrl Panel, Mail. Select the Microsoft Exchange Service and click properties. Reenter the echange server and m...

Printer Problems (continued)
I've brought over the previous replies to this thread so we can hopefully continue trouble shooting this problem. A comment: I don't think its the printers. I use the epson tmlllp on all my pos installs and they are reliable and trouble free as a recite printer gets. And the probability of me having the same problem on both registers - its just not likely. Other than that I don't have a clue. The day after I installed the opos sp5, the system froze 3 times. Then it went for 34 days without a freeze. Something is not right but we can't find any consistency to th...

A few very tough questions..
I recently took over an SBS 2008 installation from a group that had no business installing it in the first place. There were a ton of event viewer errors, Exchange, SBS Console, you name it, they screwed it up. There are 25 users and they never installed antivirus on either the Exchange mailboxes or the client computers. Enough of that.. Here are the few remaining issues. 1. They never ran a best practices tool. When I did Exchange showed a "first administrator group" of an old Exchange 2003 SBS install on another computer that crashed. I don't know how or why it&#...

Printing Problem #3
I have publisher 2000, trying to print on a 5 x 8 index card, the publication keeps getting cut off. any ideas? I am using a deskjet printer. Lori wrote: > I have publisher 2000, trying to print on a 5 x 8 index > card, the publication keeps getting cut off. any ideas? > I am using a deskjet printer. 1) There are no printing issues that can be directly attributed to /any/ version. 2) The HP DeskJet line is now fairly ancient and none of them were capable (to the best of my knowledge, I've never owned one) of 'full bleed'. This is a limitation of your printer and...

SMTP problem
New 2003 SBS system with eight clients all having the same problem. SMTP queue is stacking up messages. Because.. If I open any client computer, start Outlook, goto 'Tools', 'E-mail Accounts', 'View or Change e-mail accounts' the POP/SMTP account which is supposed to be the default is constantly being degraded and the Exchange Server account is being reset to be the default. Emails sent with the POP account as the default are sent. It changes definitly on a reboot, or after some period of time. It might work for an hour, twenty minutes, half a day. ...

Problems when I reply to an email
When I Reply to an email, it seems to take 10 or 15 seconds for it to be sent. Then, the email I am sending is still on the screen, which, at first led me to believe it had not been sent, but it had. When I try to close it, I get a box asking if I want to save the changes to it. Even if I say yes, the window is still there, until I click close again. Why is all this happening? How do I just get the mail to be sent and not be on the screen any longer? Is this an IMAP mail account? Some people seem to be having similar problems with IMAP accounts. The issue may be related ...

OWA Login problem
I've just migrated from Exchange 5.5 to 2000, the OWA works well outside our organization and for those who don't have the ISA server as it's proxy server. Those with ISA as proxy receive the login window (username-pass-domain) over and over and the mailbox never gets to open. I'm in big problem, can somebody help me? Thanks in advance ...

problem with long message-IDs: Outlook chokes
I get a fair bit of spam with message-IDs longer than 168 characters (or missing). As a result, Outlook clients won't download any my messages until I manually go through the mail server's incoming queue and delete the messages; quite a pain as it happens roughly once daily (and there's no easy way to tell which messages have the bad IDs). Does anyone know a way to make Outlook skip these messages, rather than not download anything? I'd even be interested in how to grep the files for long message IDs (if only I were smarter about Windows utilities for that sort of thing). My ...