Total Number of Hours

I have a tracking sheet and I entered the total number of hours spent on a project and then when I want the sume the total is 6.65 instead of 7.05 for 7 hours and 5 minutes. How do I fix this? The way I entered the time is 0.35 for 35 minutes. Do I need to enter the times a different way?
0
Celeste (6)

If you are in a place that use : as a time delimiter then you need to enter
it like

hh:mm

35 minutes should be entered as

0:35

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"celeste" <celeste@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a tracking sheet and I entered the total number of hours spent on a
project and then when I want the sume the total is 6.65 instead of 7.05 for
7 hours and 5 minutes. How do I fix this? The way I entered the time is 0.35
for 35 minutes. Do I need to enter the times a different way?

0
terre08 (1112)
7/16/2004 5:56:28 PM
You should use a colon instead of a period, such as:

7:05

for seven hours and five minutes.  Excel has its own unique way of measuring
time, with 1 equally 1 day.  Carrying it further, 1 hour is 1/24 or roughly
..041667, 1 minute is 1/24/60 or roughly .0006944, and 1 second is 1/24/60/60
or roughly .000011574.  So to try to do the math and determine the proper
decimal amount to use to represent minutes is not the easiest.  Using a
colon as shown above causes Excel to assune a time value has been entered.
To calculate total time, format as [h]:mm.

HTH
--
Michael J. Malinsky
Pittsburgh, PA

"I am a bear of very little brain, and long
   words bother me." -- AA Milne, Winnie the Pooh

"celeste" <celeste@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a tracking sheet and I entered the total number of hours spent on a
project and then when I want the sume the total is 6.65 instead of 7.05 for
7 hours and 5 minutes. How do I fix this? The way I entered the time is 0.35
for 35 minutes. Do I need to enter the times a different way?

0
joeqcpa (67)

An XML question

So many Tunnel Adapters
Hi, I understand that Tunnel Adapter LAN is for encapsulating IPv6 packets with an IPv4 header so that they can be sent across an IPv4 network. Few queries popped up in my mind based on this :- 1. Why is the numbering for the Tunnel adapter LAN not sequential ? It is like 6,7,12,13,14,15,16. A strange numbering scheme ?! I tried to figure it out by thinking of some arithmetic series. But, it does not seem to fit in. There is a huge gap between 7 and 12. Any ideas ? 2. What is the need for so many number of Tunnel Adapter LAN connection ? Can you tell me a scenario that re...

Irregular formation of numbers
Hi, I hope someone can help, I am trying to format numbers in a column. the numbers are all 10 digits (ie. 0405613020) and from cell to cel are all different. What I am trying to do is for them to take on the format below: 0405.61.30.20 I have tried different things.. but nothing seems to work.. I have ove 250 cells that need to look like that, and it's very long and tedious.. Hope someone can help me.. Diamonelle :confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi You can put this formula in a helper column, copy it down as far a needed and then copy-paste special -...

Is there a maximum number of users that can share an Outlook calen
I have 4 users sharing my Outlook calendar, I cannot see how to remove users, and wondered if there was a maximum as I cannot seem to add more users? Are you using Delegates or the permissions tab on the properties dialog? If there is a real limit, its well above 4 - I know of sites where thousands have permission to view a calendar. There is a practical limit for managing individual users but this can be worked around by giving permission to security groups. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Cent...

Totals on Sales Inquiry native windows
We would like to have the totals on the Sales Inquiries: Transaction by Customer Transaction by Document Sales Documents Sales Items Today we can retrieve this information in separated inquiries and reports, be we would like to heve a easier way to see this totals... The same suggest can be applied to Smartlist. If possible, you can create a tool to sum a field after you make a filter I created a screen where you can see all sales, separated by day of week, and week of year, and totals YTD,MTD and WTD, but I am not able to have the same information grouped by item number, for example.....

Custom Number Format 04-12-10
I know nothing about using custom number format, and need to undersand when and how to use it. Any link to recommend? Thanks in advance. Regards, Emece.- This Microsoft link expains the concepts fairly well http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051995001033.aspx -- If this helps, please remember to click yes. "Emece" wrote: > I know nothing about using custom number format, and need to undersand when > and how to use it. Any link to recommend? > > Thanks in advance. > > Regards, > Emece.- ...

Setting ID# to 1 & Total on bottom of query result
Hi, I have 2 separate questions. First how do I set the ID# to 1 for the first record. I copied my whole database including queries and forms which were 2009 records and changed the titles to 2010. I did a "compact and repair" to the 2010 database. But when I start to enter records for 2010 the ID# is 2550. How can I reset the ID# back to start at 1? On many of my queries I have the results be for example 28 Caucation, 43 African American, 65 Hispanic, 4 Asian, 2 Native American. I need these numbers separate like they are but I would like a total line at the bottom...

Change the assigned chart number
If you use the Macro Recorder and select several charts (in the same worksheet) in secession you can see that Excel has assigned a name to each chart such as Chart 1, Chart 2, ect.. Is there a way to rename say Chart 15 to Chart 3, assuming Chart 3 does not already exist? -- Al Eaton aleaton@bak.rr.com To manually rename a chart object: Hold the Ctrl key, and click on the chart to select it Click in the Name box, to the left of the formula bar Type a new name, or edit the existing name Press the Enter key To programmatically rename a chart object: ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Ch...

Page numbers
I'm using Office 2000 Professional. Is there a way to include page numbers by default instead of having to insert them every time I create a new document? This newsgroup supports Microsoft Access, the relational database. I'm not sure how to interpret your question... Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. Any code or pseudocode included in this post is offered "as ...

total cost on report
I have areport with a cost field that I would like to total that collum at the end of the report. How do I do this ? do I need to create another field (total) please help thanks, jettro Jettron wrote: >I have areport with a cost field that I would like to total that collum at >the end of the report. How do I do this ? do I need to create another field >(total) The usual way is to use a text box with an expression like: =Sum([cost field]) -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] I'm in design view of the report, where do I insert this expression? I clicked on page footer to insert thi...

Invoice Numbers
First let my apologies. I posted a question earlier but I can't find we're I posted it! I would like to know if there's a way to auto number an invoice before it's printed? I would think a new table would be required but I'm really not sure how to setup what's required. Thank you in advance. Don Don, It depends on how far in the past you want to generate the Invoice number before it is printed AND the steps you go thru to print the Invoice but I can give you a yes, it can be done. However, more information required to tell how? -- Gina ...

how can I enter a 21 digit number in a cell & keep it from change
What changes should i make to my set up if I need to be able to enter a number into a cell that is 20 or more digits long & I want to keep it from changing to scientific notation (as it does when a number is more than 12 digits long)? Excel 2003 professional edition Hi alex, alex wrote: > What changes should i make to my set up if I need to be able to enter > a number into a cell that is 20 or more digits long & I want to keep > it from changing to scientific notation (as it does when a number is > more than 12 digits long)? > Excel 2003 professional edition Putti...

number of OWA certificates
Hi, I have published OWA using ISA server. If i want to use SSL bridging then how many commercial certificates "licenses" I need? I know logically or technically i can purchase a single server certificate and install it both on the ISA and OWA server. So, Do I need to purchase two certificates ? any help appreciated. thanks in advance, I'm not aware of any CA that charges by the number of servers a certificate is installed on. Please don't give them any ideas. :-) Ray "Jack Dorson" <JackDorson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F2...

How do I show number of records that meet criteria filter
I have a large spreadsheet containing several hundred rows of data. I want to filter the list and I want to be able to show the number of records that match the filter criteria. For example, un-filtered the total number of records in the list is displayed and, when filtered, the number of records in the list that match the criteria is displayed. Can onyone help me please? Kind regards, Cliff Cliff, Here is a little function that returns the count, and works from VBA. Just pass the header cell to the function Function FilteredListCount(rng As Range) Dim iLastrow As Long Dim rngTemp ...

tables and numbering
I have created a six column table in Publisher. The items in each column (or cell) are numbered items using " bullets/numbers". The first three columns are listing items by number 1,2,3, etc. However in the last three columns they are acting like they are linked: first column lists 1,2,3, second column lists 4, third column lists 5. Second and third columns should begin with listing "1". The formatting under the bullets/numbering option seems to be formatted correctly. Any ideas? Suggestions? Do a return, then another return, the next column will revert to one...

Finding Cells that Total a Value
Hello Friends, I need some assistance in solving a problem. I have a spreadsheet with over five hundred lines of transactions. The sum of these transactions are creating a balance on the account. Is there any formula/macro that will help me find the transactions creating the balance? The sum of the account should be zero. To clarify, if we owe client money, there would be a transaction setting up that postive balance then a payment on the account taking it back to zero. There could be multiple transactions and then one net payment. Or we could be due to receive. So at the end of the day, th...

Total Items
Hi - Is there a way to get a total number of items that are about to be tendered, on the POS screen ? Thanks. You can customize the status.htm file. Not sure exactly what the variable is that you want, but I know it cn be done. "NJS" <NJS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:538F3CC7-F23D-43C7-8A5A-4319B8688E5B@microsoft.com... > Hi - > Is there a way to get a total number of items that are about to be > tendered, > on the POS screen ? > Thanks. Jason, Send me your email I have already customized this and will forward you. "Jason&qu...

# (URGENT) NEW CHALLENGE AGAIN: HOW TO PRODUCE COMBINATIONS OF DIFFERENT RANDOM NUMBERS AND DO NOT FULLY SINGLE REPEATABLE AND WITH THE NUMBERS IN CRESCENT ORDER IN EXCEL 2003???
# NEW CHALLENGE AGAIN: HOW TO PRODUCE COMBINATIONS OF DIFFERENT RANDOM NUMBERS AND DO NOT FULLY SINGLE REPEATABLE AND WITH THE NUMBERS IN CRESCENT ORDER IN EXCEL 2003??? THIS SOLUTION ABOVE IS GREAT BUT DON'T HAVE THE 5+2 RANDOM NUMBERS AUTOMATICALLY SORTED IN CRESCENT ORDER. CHECK THIS FILE: http://cjoint.com/?kmqbqKuGZL THIS WORKS BUT THE NUMBERS ARE NOT SORTED AND I NEED SORT THEM IN CRESCENT ORDER IN A AUTOMATIC WAY (EX: {1,5,7,14,25, 1, 2} INSTEAD OF {5,1,7,25,14, 2, 1}) IF YOU CAN HELP, PLEASE HELP ME. I WILL BE GRATEFUL FOR YOUR HELP. THANKS FOR PRIESTING ATTENTION. Hi, Since...

Total of Totals
Hey there, I've set up a database consisting of four tables. I run a query which calculates a total for the item (unit price * quantity). Is it possible to calculate the final total of all this for a report? If that's possible, how can I get it to be at the bottom of all the records but only on the last page? Thanks Mathew On Aug 1, 12:48 am, KARL DEWEY <KARLDE...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Yes. > Open the form in design view, click on menu VIEW - Report Header/Footer a= nd > add a text box in the footer with Control Source =3D[unit price] * > [quantit...

Manipulating totals and columns in Pivot Tables
Hi, I'm constructing a pivot table that has investors as columns, investments as rows, and the general data is values. Trouble is there is a column which I want to only display half of each value. I know that I can make a formula that divides a column "column A/2", and then hide the unwanted columns. But I would also like the hidden columns to not be included in the grand totals. How do I make this happen? Thanks! Hi, So let me understand what you want, something like this in the Pivot Table: A B C Name Jp ...

Pole display Sub Total
Hi All, When a client of mine scans items the amount displaying is the sub total. Is there any way to display the total (ie including tax amount) Regards Amanda ...

how do I get a total for all worksheets in my workbook?
I have ten worksheets, each with a total. How do I get a total of all totals? Considering you have 3 sheets, and the totals are in cell A1, then use: =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet3!A1) Mangesh "Aileen Hewat" <AileenHewat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18C80118-642F-4690-8B5E-7D68B63752E3@microsoft.com... > I have ten worksheets, each with a total. How do I get a total of all totals? This file might be a help: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/zipfiles/consol.zip It's in the "Accountants" section on page: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/exa...

Calculate Total Books
I am preparing packing slips for boxes to be sent out. There are different book orders going into the same box. Each book in the order will have its own set of id numbers that are usually, but not always, in a string(101-121 etc). I use a calculated field on the form to display the number of books in the string as I store the start book number and subract it from the end book number and add 1 to get the actual number of books in the string. I use the same calculated field on the report to show the number of books in each detial, but I have multiple strings in 1 box. I need to show a...

LOST CD KEY NUMBER
help, i lost the original case the install cd came with for microsoft publisher. it requires the cd key number to install. what am i suppose to do now without the cd case or box the software came in? i thought of looking in the disk under different files to find a source for the number but came up empty. maybe i registered my program when i purchased it, but how do i track down the original registration info and get microsoft to give me an install cd key number so i can reinstall it on my new computer? any suggestions? fred How to Obtain a New Product Key for Office Program Setup htt...

Formula to Convert Numbers to Words
What is the formula to convert numbers to words? Example: Number Words 568 Five Hundred Sixty Eight There is no direct functions to convert this. For a VBA solution check out the below links http://support.microsoft.com/kb/213360 http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Kiley" wrote: > What is the formula to convert numbers to words? > > Example: > > Number Words > 568 Five Hundred Si...