too many different cell formats #7

This question has been aske before and no one seems to answer it.  Either no
one knows or I guess it's not possible.  Either way someone please respond.
I get this error message when trying to open a workbook, Is there any way to
open the workbook???

I have done so much reading about how to reduce the formats within the
workbook to get rid of this error message, but no where is it written on how
to open a workbook with this problem.  Is there a way, please respond soon.
Thanks.
0
Mile129 (2)

It may be that the lack of response indicates that nobody knows how to open
it.  I sure don't.

You may want to try OpenOffice.org for a freeware package that competes with
MS Office.  You never know, maybe that spreadsheet could open it and allow
you to delete some of the formats.  Quattro Pro would be another avenue to
explore

"Mile129" wrote:

> This question has been aske before and no one seems to answer it.  Either no
> one knows or I guess it's not possible.  Either way someone please respond.
> I get this error message when trying to open a workbook, Is there any way to
> open the workbook???
>
> I have done so much reading about how to reduce the formats within the
> workbook to get rid of this error message, but no where is it written on how
> to open a workbook with this problem.  Is there a way, please respond soon.
> Thanks.
0
DukeCarey (494)
4/25/2005 4:17:55 PM
Actually, lots of people have replied that Openoffice can open this kind of
file--not a guarantee, but surely worth the try.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Actually, lots of people have replied that Openoffice can open this kind of
> file--not a guarantee, but surely worth the try.
>
> Duke Carey wrote:
> >
> > It may be that the lack of response indicates that nobody knows how to open
> > it.  I sure don't.
> >
> > You may want to try OpenOffice.org for a freeware package that competes with
> > MS Office.  You never know, maybe that spreadsheet could open it and allow
> > you to delete some of the formats.  Quattro Pro would be another avenue to
> > explore
> >
> > "Mile129" wrote:
> >
> > > This question has been aske before and no one seems to answer it.  Either no
> > > one knows or I guess it's not possible.  Either way someone please respond.
> > > I get this error message when trying to open a workbook, Is there any way to
> > > open the workbook???
> > >
> > > I have done so much reading about how to reduce the formats within the
> > > workbook to get rid of this error message, but no where is it written on how
> > > to open a workbook with this problem.  Is there a way, please respond soon.
> > > Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Mile129 (2)
4/25/2005 6:56:03 PM
I have seen many requests for additional information on how to open the files
AFTER you get the error message "Too many different cell formats".

I had a user with the same problem and here is how I got the file to open
AND what I did to resolve the issue.

1. Download Open Office and install it.
2. Make a copy of your file.
3. Working with the copy - open it using Open Office. It may take a few
minutes to actually get the file open. Wait for it to finish.
4. Make changes to remove formatting on individual cells. - My user had
formatted individual cells with thick walls to make it more "visually
appealing". I selected entire sheets and rendered them with regular cell
walls. This did NOT alter the information that was being presented, just the
appearance. What it did do was make a single format type for ALL of the cells
on that page.
5. Save the file using a different name. Open Office will ask if you want to
save it in Open Office format – tell it NO. This way it will still be in
Excel format and you should be able to open the new file using MS Excel to
continue your work.

I hope this helps!

Andrew Weaver

"Mile129" wrote:

> thanks guys, I was hoping I didn't have to install anything and there would
> be a work around, but I guess there is no other way of getting in.  I guess I
> will have to go the route of restoring prior days file.  This is the only
> info I got of the net, Microsoft really should address this issue, especially
> when you have reached the max and not allow you to save the file if you have.
>  This way you know you will not encouter this problem when trying to reopen
> the file.
>
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
> > Actually, lots of people have replied that Openoffice can open this kind of
> > file--not a guarantee, but surely worth the try.
> >
> > Duke Carey wrote:
> > >
> > > It may be that the lack of response indicates that nobody knows how to open
> > > it.  I sure don't.
> > >
> > > You may want to try OpenOffice.org for a freeware package that competes with
> > > MS Office.  You never know, maybe that spreadsheet could open it and allow
> > > you to delete some of the formats.  Quattro Pro would be another avenue to
> > > explore

> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

0
Andrew3569 (322)
6/22/2005 6:13:01 PM
Open Office obviously doesn't use the same scheme as Microsoft for storing
format information.  (I presume the MS approach allows faster refreshment of
the display when it changes because an arrow or Page key has been hit).  This
seems very useful advice.  If Andrew agrees, I'd like to add his advice to my
web page www.quarrell.demon.co.uk/QAid/

That's a commercial web site, but you don't have to buy _anything_ to get
helpful advice when you have just hit the 4000 limit and discovered that the
workbook is unusable.  It includes the only workable idea I have found on how
to avoid getting the message repeated if you try to alter anything.

Andrew -- please look at the site and email me.

"Andrew" wrote:

> I have seen many requests for additional information on how to open the files
> AFTER you get the error message "Too many different cell formats".
>
> I had a user with the same problem and here is how I got the file to open
> AND what I did to resolve the issue.
>
> 1. Download Open Office and install it.
> 2. Make a copy of your file.
> 3. Working with the copy - open it using Open Office. It may take a few
> minutes to actually get the file open. Wait for it to finish.
> 4. Make changes to remove formatting on individual cells. - My user had
> formatted individual cells with thick walls to make it more "visually
> appealing". I selected entire sheets and rendered them with regular cell
> walls. This did NOT alter the information that was being presented, just the
> appearance. What it did do was make a single format type for ALL of the cells
> on that page.
> 5. Save the file using a different name. Open Office will ask if you want to
> save it in Open Office format – tell it NO. This way it will still be in
> Excel format and you should be able to open the new file using MS Excel to
> continue your work.
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Andrew Weaver
>

> "Mile129" wrote:
>
> > thanks guys, I was hoping I didn't have to install anything and there would
> > be a work around, but I guess there is no other way of getting in.  I guess I
> > will have to go the route of restoring prior days file.  This is the only
> > info I got of the net, Microsoft really should address this issue, especially
> > when you have reached the max and not allow you to save the file if you have.
> >  This way you know you will not encouter this problem when trying to reopen
> > the file.
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, lots of people have replied that Openoffice can open this kind of
> > > file--not a guarantee, but surely worth the try.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson

Easy Econnect 7.5 AR Distributions Question
I'm trying my first attempt at importing an invoice transaction as an Receivables Transaction using the taRMTransaction class. I can import it fine, however, I can't post the batch because the distributions are not linked to any GL accounts appropriately. At first I wasn't using the taRMDistribution_ItemsTaRMDistribution class at all. Now I'm using it and debiting one account and crediting another. That works too, however, when I inquire on that transaction and look at the distributions, there are now 4 distributions. The 2 I imported and 2 for the same 2 a...

cell value depends on value in another cell question
Hi. Anyone know how to have a cell formula control the information in another cell? I'm trying to get a row of cells to only allow one x (trying to get them to act like a check box that only allows one check). I can't figure if excel is capable of controling a cell's value from an outside formula. Hi maybe 'Data - Validation' is what you're looking for. See http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sylvia wrote: > Hi. Anyone know how to have a cell formula control the information > in another cell? I'm tryi...

Linked cells #4
I have two spreadsheets. One has a list of names and the other has only 4 cells, each with a link to one of the first four names in the first spreadsheet. I would like to print the second spreadsheet and then delete the first four names in the first spreadsheet so that the cells in the second spreadsheet now contain the next 4 names on the list. When I delete the first 4 names in the first spreadsheet, the links in the second spreadsheet fail and I get #REF! in the cells. I have tried both relative addressing and absolute addressing and both return the same error when I delete th...

copy sort results to different worksheet?
Hi all, Relative Excel newbie here :) I have an Excel file with three worksheets in it. Right now, only the first worksheet has data--the data is four columns of unsorted text (it's a list of karaoke songs...the columns are labeled "Song Title", "Artist", "CD", and "Track Number"). I know how to sort the data by different columns so that I can either have everything listed alphabetically by Song Title, or alphabetically by Artist. What I'd like to do is somehow be able to take those two "sorts" and output each one on a differe...

difference in percentange
This is probably a very easy question.... I have the following cell D cell E 484 526 In cell F I want to show the difference in a percentage. I currently have the following format (D1-E10/D1 but it gives me a -9%....when it is actaully an increase....what am I doing wrong? Then you want: =(E1-D1)/D1 Regards, Fred "Caribbrz" <Caribbrz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:423B80BF-1828-4E17-A48B-F5027EFE4A38@microsoft.com... > This is probably a very easy question.... > > I have the following > > cell D cell ...

Edit directly in Cells
I am having intermittent (daily) problems with 'Editing Directly in Cells'. After hitting the [F2] key to edit data in a cell, the edit bar cursor shows in the cell correctly. But, when I use the arrow keys in jumps to the next cell to the left as if I hit [Shift][Tab]. I do have the 'Edit Directly in Cells' checked in Options-Edit. Turning it off and on does not make any difference. I must use the mouse to select the text to edit. We tend to input some status language at the end of the task name, so this would be a productivity impact. I have researched the we...

Cell colour format according to date
If a cell value is equal to today I want the colour to change to red. I have entered =TODAY as a conditional formatting value but the cell colour does not change. The cell has been formatted as ddd dd mmm. Any ideas please. Thanks in advance for any help John Hi John Try the below 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Form...

many-to-many relationships by Graham Mandeno
Hi to all, A couples of months ago I was looking for a good way to handle a many- to-many relationships. I finally found this sample db: http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/SampleDBs.htm. It's simply great! Unfortunately it doesn't work in my case because instead of using just numeric ID to relate the table I'm make use of alphanumeric ID. In the previous: http://groups.google.it/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/25f1941ea8428424/9d3fc99e39b80743?lnk=gst&q=riccifs+many#9d3fc99e39b80743 Graham told me that there was a way to give to the sample db this...

constant cell
Assume an investment sum. Assume two columns. Column A has a list of monetary figures increasing in value as they go down the column. Column B is a percentage of the increases the cells in Column A. For example Cell A would have value of $5000.00 Cell A2 $5140.00 Cell lA3 $5216 and so on own the column Cell B1 would show a nil value as it is related to Cell A1 Cell B2 would show a % value of % value of $140.00 as it related to Cell A1 Cell B3 would show a $216.00 as it related the Cell A1 In other words Cell A1 must be related to all the cells in Column B. I want to set the formula ...

"Too many different cell formats" error
Receiving this pop up error message when opening a .xls file. File will not open. Any suggestions on how to fix and save file? Hi Lorena XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Lorena" <lorena.l.solano@convergys.com...

Reference a cell in criteria range
I want to average a range if 2 criteria are met; the criteria includes cell references: C6 = 1/1/2009 (internal date) E6 = 1/1/2010 (internal date) Cells B11:BJ11 contain valid dates Cells C11:AJ11 contain valid numbers I want to average the values in C11:AJ11 that are >= C6 and <= E6. Can I reference the cells in the criteria range? I used averageifs(C11:AJ11,B11:BJ11,">=C6",B11:BJ11,"<=E6") which of course did not work. Thanks! Hi Connie You are very close: =averageifs(C11:AJ11,B11:BJ11,">=" & C6...

When forwarding an email how many recipients can I send it to?
I got an error response when I forwarded an email to many in my address book. It said, something about too many recipients. How many is too many? I set a 300 recipient limit to my Exchange users at work. This is set at my server level. Quote from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA012002371033.aspx Many e-mail service providers set limits for the number of names that can be in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields in a message. For example, your e-mail service provider may limit each message to a maximum of 100 e-mail addresses. If these addresses can be distributed among the To, Cc, and ...

Too many clicks! Available formats box
Hello folks I have a client who is unhappy with the amount of clicks in Word 2007. One particular frustration is the Insert Date and Time Available Formats box. Is there anyway to get Word 2007 to just insert the default Date without the additional steps of the format box? I know to the average person, it's not a big deal but this user lives in a pressure cooker and needs the useability of Word 2007 to make things faster, not slower. Thanks for your suggestions! Bill Hole MCTS, SBSC Ask the client to add the Date & Time command to the Quick Access Toolbar ...

is it possible to have 2 different users on same computer
I have outlook 2002 on computer that I share with my spouse. We currently have our email thru hotmail, but have been thinking of changing over to Outlook. Is it possible to have 2 seperate address books and inboxes with different email addresses, so that he can get his emails and I get mine? Yes. You can have a single installation of Outlook and multiple Profiles. Profiles can be setup via the Mail Control Panel (Start - Control Panel - Mail). Click the Show Profiles... button. You should see the Mail tab and at lease one profile. You can click the Add button to configure a new profile...

Combobox add large range of cells
I have placed a Combobox(ActiveX) on a worksheet(Sheet2), but now i want to populate it will all the values(that are not blank) in Sheet3 between range("A2:A25000"). How do i do this without manually do this: Combobox1.Additem Sheet3.Range("A2").value Combobox1.Additem Sheet3.Range("A3").value ..... ..... and so on? Corey.... Dim myRng as range dim myCell as range set myrng = sheet3.range("a2:a25000") 'or if you potentially have lots of empty cells at the bottom with sheet3 set myrng = .range("A2", .cells(...

Should this be one to Many or Many to Many.. Relationship
Hi, New to Access learning... I have Table 1.. Publisher Table 2.. Books I was wondering .. Should I create Transient Third Table e.g. BooksPublisher.. Or Should I put PublisherID key AS Foreign key into Books Table ? which would be Practical E.g Books Publishers BooksNPublishers Pk BookID Pk PublisherID PK BookPublisherID Fk BookID ...

How do I reverse a spreadsheet that is in the format of a subtota.
I have a spreadsheet that details transactions by vendor but there is one line for the vendor and the detail transactions fall below the vendor line. The detail transactions do not show the vendor name. I need to have the vendor name on each line of the detail so I can sort and analyze the data. This is actually a report exported from QuickBooks. The only option I see is to copy the vendor name to each detail line and then remove the original vendor line. This is a lot of manual labor for a pretty large spreadsheet. Frank, Check this out... http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip0...

Removing " " from a cell
I downloaded a file which has the extension .csv. It has a column of numbers but they are preceded and followed by " like this "4293226" and I am trying to create a formula that subtracts the second row, third row.... to the end number from the first row number. I get a #VALUE!. Is there a simple way to remove the "" from each number? Select the range to fix Edit replace what: " with: (leave blank) replace all Maybe the quickest way. GTT wrote: > > I downloaded a file which has the extension .csv. It has a column of > numbers but they are preced...

Connect Mailbox to a Different User
I have User A that has a mailbox. I have User B that has no mailbox. At the moment both A and B can use A's mailbox. I want to disconnect the mailbox from A and connect it to B's account, not just have B able to use the mailbox. How do I do this? Thanks. Make sure you retention set on the mailbox store. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274343 Dont be fooled by the title of this KB, you need to delete the mailbox first. On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:17:04 -0800, NDaveZ <NDaveZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have User A that has a mailbox. >I ha...

Difference in asset tax and financial basis
Acquired assets have a higher value for financial than tax. How do I record a lower tax basis in GP 9.0 fixed assets for tax depreciation calculations? Open the Asset Book (Cards>Fixed Assets>Book) and change the Cost Basis field for your Tax Book(s) to reflect the correct tax basis. Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL Does this effect the financial basis? "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP" wrote: > Open the Asset Book (Cards>Fixed Assets>Book) and change the Cost > Basis field for your Tax Book(s) to reflect the correct tax basis. > > Frank ...

Filling Blank Cells
Hi I run Excel 2K I have some information that I download from a mainframe into a spreadsheet. See Example Smith Training Module 1 Training Module 2 Training Module 3 Smith Training Module 4 Alder Training Module 1 Training Module 2 Alder Training Module 3 As you can see, the information that is duplicated leaves blank cells between the first and last entries of each unique record. I would like to have a macro or code or similar to be able to fill in these empty cells with the missing unique entries. Any su...

sort data without formulas in other cells changing?
Hi, Can someone please help? I've got quite a lot of data that I want to sort by the persons date of birth, but because I have cells with formula in it (this works out the persons age) the sort function is changing the formulas so the formulas no longer work becuase it changes the cell where it is getting the data from. Does anyone have any ideas how this could be fixed?? Thanks! I bet you have formulas that point directly at other cells in another worksheet: =sheet2!b3 If you do, you may want to see if you can redesign your worksheet so that you can use some key column (name/i...

Is there a way to build an initial VidPN in Win 7 driver
Hi, I need a help for the scenario below: ================================ I have two displays - CRTC and DVI output. the crtc is the primary display. Now I want to change and try to tell Win 7 to switch to DVI as primary after reboot. How can I do in the driver? It seems on Vista, the DXgk call recommendVidPnTopology can do it. But in WIn 7, this DDI is removed. In IsSupportedVidPn, I can fail the original VidPN (Crtc). And I can let the OS shows desktop on DVI. But when I try to switch to crtc from desktop property page, I got unable save display settings error messag...

Hours difference
Need to calculate difference in terms of hours....weekend issue. 1st date and time - 1/29/10 (friday) 1:00am 2nd date and time - 2/1/10 (monday) 1:00am By calculating manually, the result that i would need to show is 24 hrs (based on my shop floor operations). Anything more than 24hrs is an issue at my operations. How would i do this in excel? Thank you. Hmmm...., if the 01:00 can be ignored you may try this: In A1 - Start Date In A2 - End Date In A3 - The hereunder Array-Formula: {=24*(SUM(N(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(A1&":"&A2)))<>7))-SUM(N(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIR...