Too many different cell formats #6

I am running into the error message:

Too many different cell formats

Is there a solution to lowering the number of formats I
am using? Just trying to change them to make some
consistent gives me the same error message.

I tried running the search on the forums on my topic but
they have been disabled for a Microsoft upgrade.

Thanks!

One idea -

Rob Bovey's excellent Utilities add-in will list all the formats in use in
your workbook, allowing you to manually delete what isn't being used.

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ExcelUtilities.htm

You can also see the source code for the add-in, and could probably modify
it to delete the unused formats

"Craig" wrote:

> I am running into the error message:
>
> Too many different cell formats
>
> Is there a solution to lowering the number of formats I
> am using? Just trying to change them to make some
> consistent gives me the same error message.
>
> I tried running the search on the forums on my topic but
> they have been disabled for a Microsoft upgrade.
>
> Thanks!

0
DukeCarey (494)
4/7/2005 3:53:19 PM
Rob's utility deals with number formats. The larger issue in the "too many
different cell formats" problem has little or nothing to do with unused
number formats.  It has to do with having too many combinations of
formatting elements actually in use.

Or to quote from MSKB 213904:

"This problem occurs when the workbook contains more than approximately
4,000 different combinations of cell formats. A combination is defined as a
unique set of formatting elements that are applied to a cell. A combination
includes all font formatting (for example: typeface, font size, italic,
bold, and underline), borders (for example: location, weight, and color),
cell patterns, number formatting, alignment, and cell protection."

I call each of the combinations referred to in the quote a "style".  A
"named style" (that appears in the Format, Style list) is a subset of the
total "styles".  In your typical large workbook, with lots of formatting,
the named styles are just a fraction of the number of total styles.

So, again, it's not unused number formats, but total "styles" used that is
the problem in "too many different cell formats".  I don't think there is a
good answer to this problem.  I guess that's why MS's solution is to "use
less formatting".<g>

--
Jim
"Craig" <Craig.Charles@GlobalCrossing.com> wrote in message
|I am running into the error message:
|
| Too many different cell formats
|
| Is there a solution to lowering the number of formats I
| am using? Just trying to change them to make some
| consistent gives me the same error message.
|
| I tried running the search on the forums on my topic but
| they have been disabled for a Microsoft upgrade.
|
| Thanks!

0
jrrech (1933)
4/7/2005 5:26:00 PM
Some people have used OpenOffice to open the workbook, clean up some of the
formats, save it as a new name.  Then excel can work with it better.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

--

Dave Peterson
0

Check out www.quarrell.demon.co.uk/QAid/.  Peter is an intelligent guy who
has developed a great little program that will list all of the format
combinations.  It has a price tag but it's worth it if you are in a jam.

Matthew

"Craig" wrote:

> I am running into the error message:
>
> Too many different cell formats
>
> Is there a solution to lowering the number of formats I
> am using? Just trying to change them to make some
> consistent gives me the same error message.
>
> I tried running the search on the forums on my topic but
> they have been disabled for a Microsoft upgrade.
>
> Thanks!

0
MatthewB (2)

cell value depends on value in another cell question
Hi. Anyone know how to have a cell formula control the information in another cell? I'm trying to get a row of cells to only allow one x (trying to get them to act like a check box that only allows one check). I can't figure if excel is capable of controling a cell's value from an outside formula. Hi maybe 'Data - Validation' is what you're looking for. See http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sylvia wrote: > Hi. Anyone know how to have a cell formula control the information > in another cell? I'm tryi...

Linked cells #4
I have two spreadsheets. One has a list of names and the other has only 4 cells, each with a link to one of the first four names in the first spreadsheet. I would like to print the second spreadsheet and then delete the first four names in the first spreadsheet so that the cells in the second spreadsheet now contain the next 4 names on the list. When I delete the first 4 names in the first spreadsheet, the links in the second spreadsheet fail and I get #REF! in the cells. I have tried both relative addressing and absolute addressing and both return the same error when I delete th...

copy sort results to different worksheet?
Hi all, Relative Excel newbie here :) I have an Excel file with three worksheets in it. Right now, only the first worksheet has data--the data is four columns of unsorted text (it's a list of karaoke songs...the columns are labeled "Song Title", "Artist", "CD", and "Track Number"). I know how to sort the data by different columns so that I can either have everything listed alphabetically by Song Title, or alphabetically by Artist. What I'd like to do is somehow be able to take those two "sorts" and output each one on a differe...

difference in percentange
This is probably a very easy question.... I have the following cell D cell E 484 526 In cell F I want to show the difference in a percentage. I currently have the following format (D1-E10/D1 but it gives me a -9%....when it is actaully an increase....what am I doing wrong? Then you want: =(E1-D1)/D1 Regards, Fred "Caribbrz" <Caribbrz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:423B80BF-1828-4E17-A48B-F5027EFE4A38@microsoft.com... > This is probably a very easy question.... > > I have the following > > cell D cell ...

Edit directly in Cells
I am having intermittent (daily) problems with 'Editing Directly in Cells'. After hitting the [F2] key to edit data in a cell, the edit bar cursor shows in the cell correctly. But, when I use the arrow keys in jumps to the next cell to the left as if I hit [Shift][Tab]. I do have the 'Edit Directly in Cells' checked in Options-Edit. Turning it off and on does not make any difference. I must use the mouse to select the text to edit. We tend to input some status language at the end of the task name, so this would be a productivity impact. I have researched the we...

Cell colour format according to date
If a cell value is equal to today I want the colour to change to red. I have entered =TODAY as a conditional formatting value but the cell colour does not change. The cell has been formatted as ddd dd mmm. Any ideas please. Thanks in advance for any help John Hi John Try the below 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Form...

many-to-many relationships by Graham Mandeno
Hi to all, A couples of months ago I was looking for a good way to handle a many- to-many relationships. I finally found this sample db: http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/SampleDBs.htm. It's simply great! Unfortunately it doesn't work in my case because instead of using just numeric ID to relate the table I'm make use of alphanumeric ID. In the previous: http://groups.google.it/group/microsoft.public.access.formscoding/browse_thread/thread/25f1941ea8428424/9d3fc99e39b80743?lnk=gst&q=riccifs+many#9d3fc99e39b80743 Graham told me that there was a way to give to the sample db this...

constant cell
Assume an investment sum. Assume two columns. Column A has a list of monetary figures increasing in value as they go down the column. Column B is a percentage of the increases the cells in Column A. For example Cell A would have value of $5000.00 Cell A2 $5140.00 Cell lA3 $5216 and so on own the column Cell B1 would show a nil value as it is related to Cell A1 Cell B2 would show a % value of % value of $140.00 as it related to Cell A1 Cell B3 would show a $216.00 as it related the Cell A1 In other words Cell A1 must be related to all the cells in Column B. I want to set the formula ...

"Too many different cell formats" error
Receiving this pop up error message when opening a .xls file. File will not open. Any suggestions on how to fix and save file? Hi Lorena XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Lorena" <lorena.l.solano@convergys.com...

Reference a cell in criteria range
I want to average a range if 2 criteria are met; the criteria includes cell references: C6 = 1/1/2009 (internal date) E6 = 1/1/2010 (internal date) Cells B11:BJ11 contain valid dates Cells C11:AJ11 contain valid numbers I want to average the values in C11:AJ11 that are >= C6 and <= E6. Can I reference the cells in the criteria range? I used averageifs(C11:AJ11,B11:BJ11,">=C6",B11:BJ11,"<=E6") which of course did not work. Thanks! Hi Connie You are very close: =averageifs(C11:AJ11,B11:BJ11,">=" & C6...

When forwarding an email how many recipients can I send it to?
I got an error response when I forwarded an email to many in my address book. It said, something about too many recipients. How many is too many? I set a 300 recipient limit to my Exchange users at work. This is set at my server level. Quote from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA012002371033.aspx Many e-mail service providers set limits for the number of names that can be in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields in a message. For example, your e-mail service provider may limit each message to a maximum of 100 e-mail addresses. If these addresses can be distributed among the To, Cc, and ...

Too many clicks! Available formats box
Hello folks I have a client who is unhappy with the amount of clicks in Word 2007. One particular frustration is the Insert Date and Time Available Formats box. Is there anyway to get Word 2007 to just insert the default Date without the additional steps of the format box? I know to the average person, it's not a big deal but this user lives in a pressure cooker and needs the useability of Word 2007 to make things faster, not slower. Thanks for your suggestions! Bill Hole MCTS, SBSC Ask the client to add the Date & Time command to the Quick Access Toolbar ...

is it possible to have 2 different users on same computer
I have outlook 2002 on computer that I share with my spouse. We currently have our email thru hotmail, but have been thinking of changing over to Outlook. Is it possible to have 2 seperate address books and inboxes with different email addresses, so that he can get his emails and I get mine? Yes. You can have a single installation of Outlook and multiple Profiles. Profiles can be setup via the Mail Control Panel (Start - Control Panel - Mail). Click the Show Profiles... button. You should see the Mail tab and at lease one profile. You can click the Add button to configure a new profile...

6.0 Message pane blank...hangs
Mail is appearing from the server in the upper pane. When I double click to read, nothing appears in the lower pane. Moving the mouse into the lower pane shows the 'hourglass' icon as if trying to load a program or execution to occur by nothing ever returns. Mail messages ultimately can be seen by 3-4 additional clicks via properties/message details. Problem started approx mid- April. Outlook 6.0 Any advice welcome. Thanks "LKJ" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6bea01c42ee7$a72ffe80$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Mail is appearing from the s...

Combobox add large range of cells
I have placed a Combobox(ActiveX) on a worksheet(Sheet2), but now i want to populate it will all the values(that are not blank) in Sheet3 between range("A2:A25000"). How do i do this without manually do this: Combobox1.Additem Sheet3.Range("A2").value Combobox1.Additem Sheet3.Range("A3").value ..... ..... and so on? Corey.... Dim myRng as range dim myCell as range set myrng = sheet3.range("a2:a25000") 'or if you potentially have lots of empty cells at the bottom with sheet3 set myrng = .range("A2", .cells(...

Should this be one to Many or Many to Many.. Relationship
Hi, New to Access learning... I have Table 1.. Publisher Table 2.. Books I was wondering .. Should I create Transient Third Table e.g. BooksPublisher.. Or Should I put PublisherID key AS Foreign key into Books Table ? which would be Practical E.g Books Publishers BooksNPublishers Pk BookID Pk PublisherID PK BookPublisherID Fk BookID ...

Combo Box #6
I am using a combo box to allow users to select a specific line item in a table. However, no matter how large the combo box, the font of the drop down lines (also does not mater if there are 2 lines or 30) is MICRO. How can adjust the font of the lines in the pull down??? Thanks, Andrew In Design Mode, click on Properties and scroll down to font. Select the line that has the font type and you will see (...) at the end of the line. If you click on that, you will have the option to increase the size of your text. "Newsgroups" wrote: > I am using a combo box to allow ...

How do I reverse a spreadsheet that is in the format of a subtota.
I have a spreadsheet that details transactions by vendor but there is one line for the vendor and the detail transactions fall below the vendor line. The detail transactions do not show the vendor name. I need to have the vendor name on each line of the detail so I can sort and analyze the data. This is actually a report exported from QuickBooks. The only option I see is to copy the vendor name to each detail line and then remove the original vendor line. This is a lot of manual labor for a pretty large spreadsheet. Frank, Check this out... http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip0...

Removing " " from a cell
I downloaded a file which has the extension .csv. It has a column of numbers but they are preceded and followed by " like this "4293226" and I am trying to create a formula that subtracts the second row, third row.... to the end number from the first row number. I get a #VALUE!. Is there a simple way to remove the "" from each number? Select the range to fix Edit replace what: " with: (leave blank) replace all Maybe the quickest way. GTT wrote: > > I downloaded a file which has the extension .csv. It has a column of > numbers but they are preced...

Connect Mailbox to a Different User
I have User A that has a mailbox. I have User B that has no mailbox. At the moment both A and B can use A's mailbox. I want to disconnect the mailbox from A and connect it to B's account, not just have B able to use the mailbox. How do I do this? Thanks. Make sure you retention set on the mailbox store. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;274343 Dont be fooled by the title of this KB, you need to delete the mailbox first. On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:17:04 -0800, NDaveZ <NDaveZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have User A that has a mailbox. >I ha...

Difference in asset tax and financial basis
Acquired assets have a higher value for financial than tax. How do I record a lower tax basis in GP 9.0 fixed assets for tax depreciation calculations? Open the Asset Book (Cards>Fixed Assets>Book) and change the Cost Basis field for your Tax Book(s) to reflect the correct tax basis. Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL Does this effect the financial basis? "Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP" wrote: > Open the Asset Book (Cards>Fixed Assets>Book) and change the Cost > Basis field for your Tax Book(s) to reflect the correct tax basis. > > Frank ...

Filling Blank Cells
Hi I run Excel 2K I have some information that I download from a mainframe into a spreadsheet. See Example Smith Training Module 1 Training Module 2 Training Module 3 Smith Training Module 4 Alder Training Module 1 Training Module 2 Alder Training Module 3 As you can see, the information that is duplicated leaves blank cells between the first and last entries of each unique record. I would like to have a macro or code or similar to be able to fill in these empty cells with the missing unique entries. Any su...

sort data without formulas in other cells changing?
Hi, Can someone please help? I've got quite a lot of data that I want to sort by the persons date of birth, but because I have cells with formula in it (this works out the persons age) the sort function is changing the formulas so the formulas no longer work becuase it changes the cell where it is getting the data from. Does anyone have any ideas how this could be fixed?? Thanks! I bet you have formulas that point directly at other cells in another worksheet: =sheet2!b3 If you do, you may want to see if you can redesign your worksheet so that you can use some key column (name/i...

Hours difference
Need to calculate difference in terms of hours....weekend issue. 1st date and time - 1/29/10 (friday) 1:00am 2nd date and time - 2/1/10 (monday) 1:00am By calculating manually, the result that i would need to show is 24 hrs (based on my shop floor operations). Anything more than 24hrs is an issue at my operations. How would i do this in excel? Thank you. Hmmm...., if the 01:00 can be ignored you may try this: In A1 - Start Date In A2 - End Date In A3 - The hereunder Array-Formula: {=24*(SUM(N(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(A1&":"&A2)))<>7))-SUM(N(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIR...