Time formats in Excel 2003

Being in the UK, I obviously want to use the English(UK) date format, so
Christmas Day is 25/12/05 rather than 12/25/05.  However, this defaults
the time format to hh/mm/ss (why, I do not know, since I can assure
American readers we're not normally that precise), so I have to reset it
English(US) to get hh/mm, which resets the default date format to
mm/dd/yy, so I have to change it back the next time I want to format a
cell as a date.

Any way round this?  It's only a minor problem but it's irritating me.

Steve

Stephen,

If you set up your own custom format with hh/mm, it will store it there, for
(somewhat) quick retrieval in the Custom box.  Another workaround would be
to record a macro that formats the selection with your desired date/time
format, and activate it with your own toolbar button or keyboard shortcut.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Stephen Glynn" <stephen.glynn@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Being in the UK, I obviously want to use the English(UK) date format, so
> Christmas Day is 25/12/05 rather than 12/25/05.  However, this defaults
> the time format to hh/mm/ss (why, I do not know, since I can assure
> American readers we're not normally that precise), so I have to reset it
> English(US) to get hh/mm, which resets the default date format to
> mm/dd/yy, so I have to change it back the next time I want to format a
> cell as a date.
>
> Any way round this?  It's only a minor problem but it's irritating me.
>
> Steve

0
nothanks4548 (968)

CDateTimeCtrl formatting
I have a CDateTimeCtrl on my dialog. It is valid to leave this blank (no entry) so I want to be able to allow this. I have added the FORMAT event handler for formatting it to the empty string if the underlying COleDateTime is 0.0, or the short date. I also added the FORMATQUERY handler to try to allow no input. This is causing problems when I try to select a date. I set the string and max length for the string to "", " / / ", etc to match the FORMAT, but when I do the GetWindowText(csEffDate), it always comes back as "0xee0xee..." Can the CDateTimeC...

How can I open a .sxc file in excel?
Just that. How can I open this file from StarOffice. You cannot but surely StarOffice lets you save in XLS format If you do not have StarOffice you may need to send the file to someone who has it and get them to save it as Excel -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "StarOffice Files" <StarOffice Files @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1A4F6CE-7AB8-4C1F-83B7-E0B1C6A26618@microsoft.com... > Just that. How can I open this file from StarOffice. ...

All Cells in Excel are locked, what's wrong?
I have a huge problem! All the cells in Excel is locked. I cannot edit the cells at all. And this is with fresh started sheets as well. I can't change anything. I could yesterday, until some point - where it just didn't work any more. What can I do? I really need help... Check under <tools>, does it say protect or unprotect sheet "Samuel" wrote: > I have a huge problem! All the cells in Excel is locked. I cannot edit the > cells at all. And this is with fresh started sheets as well. I can't change > anything. > > I could yesterday, until som...

Visio formatting issues
I am working with visio flowcharts in visio professional 2k3 that were created in older versions of visio (possibly as far back as visio 97). When I oepn the flowchart to Edit, it changes the formatting of the fonts withing the flowchart shape symbols. I hate to have to re-create all of these flowcharts to keep my formatting correct, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Will also research this issue in other avenues while waiting a response. On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:12:03 -0800, Weberch <Weberch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am working with visio flowcharts in v...

Time zone
When I noticed the clock on my pc was wrong, I changed the time zone from Pacific to Eastern which is my correct U.S. time zone. After doing this, all of the items inserted as "all day" appointments in my monthly calendar are displayed with an image of a clock on either side of the appointment. The option to display clocks is turned off in the settings. Why is this happening and how can I prevent it from happening. Right now, I've had to put back the Pacific time zone and adjust to the pc not telling the right time. Is there any other solution? Thanks! ddlaz No ...

Send/Receive continues 1000s of times
When Outlook does its regular send/receive it ends up sending and receiving thousands of times. The task pane shows an ever increasing number of tasks that it says have been completed successfully. When all it actually is doing is rechecking the mail accounts I have, over and over again. Literally thousands of times. This interferes with anything that I want to do in Outlook while this is going on. It seems to have started after I downloaded either the latest version of itunes or the latest version of Adobe (or some other application like that). Help! And thanks. Per Roady - MVP, th...

One time code
In either an SDI or MDI application, if I want to include some functionality ( such as serial port configuration and control thread) that can only be run once per application instance, where should that code go? I looked at the App class but it doesn't handle user messages ( at least by default ). Should the main code and worker thread go in the MainFrm class in the OnCreate function? Help? Ron H. ----------------- www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road ----------------- If it has to do with the "wi...

EXCEL Custom Type charts
Can someone help me with my Line-Column chart, It has 5 fields 4 should be bars and 1 should be a line, but excel automatically puts 3 bars and 2 lines, how can I change one of the lines to a bar in the custom line-bar chart Select the series you want to change, go to Chart menu > Chart Type, and select the type you want. Next time, skip the "built-in custom" types, and start with a column chart, then change the one series to a line as described above. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://...

Excel opening splashscreen
Is there a way to disable the splashscreen that pops up when opening Excel? - I see no need for it. TIA Bill Chatfield Use the /e switch in the shortcut used to open excel. eg ... excel.exe /e Regards BrianB ===================================================== "Bill Chatfield" <Please@smile.com> wrote in message news:<eMijb.287880$mp.227286@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>... > Is there a way to disable the splashscreen that pops up when opening > Excel? - I see no need for it. > > TIA > > Bill Chatfield Thanks Brian "BrianB" <Bria...

cpu time
Hi, Can you tell me about good tool for vs-6 that can tell me what functions in my application take the most cpu time? Thanks! In article <u$YZa3o9EHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, dbg@012.net.il says... > Hi, > Can you tell me about good tool for vs-6 that can tell me what functions in > my application take the most cpu time? VS 6 includes a perfectly good profiler, which does exactly this. If you're working inside the environment, go to the link tab in the project settings, and click the "enable profiling" check box, then do a 'rebuild all' to gene...

Month Function on UK dates formats (dd/mm/yyy)
Hi, (Excel 2007) I'm in the US, created 2 tabs, 1 with US dates (formatted as DATE) and the other tab with UK dates (also formatted as DATE). File sent to UK to enter dates (dd/mm/yyyy) =MONTH works find pulling out months from US dates, but fails on some UK dates. FAILS on =month(13/1/2010) #VALUE! but ok with =month(12/1/2010). I suspect it is failing because it's "out of date range". My goal is to pull out the month from all UK dates. THANK for your help! Gene It may be for than just a formatting issue. For example in A1 enter: 1/13/2010 (US format...

Time Out a MsgBox
I have a file that runs a macro when it is open. This file may be opened manually or automatically by a macro from another file. If the file is opened manually I would like a MsgBox to prompt the user to end the macro before it gets into the body of the code. If the file is opened automatically I would like the MsgBox to automatically respond after a time delay to allow the macro to continue running the bulk of the code. Is there anyway to force a response to a MsgBox after a preset amount of time with no response from the user? Hi, How about this instead which closes...

Calculating time and pay in excel
Hi, i'm trying to make a spreadsheet that can calculate pay per minute depending on an average length of time worked. Its driving me crazy and any help would be greatly appreciated! Coloumn A is length of time, at the bottom is a total time, next to that is an average length of time worked and this is then multiplied by the amount appropriate for that average. What would be the best way to work all of this out accurately? Many thanks for any help you can give Mark -- wobbleman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wobbleman's Profile: http://www.e...

Start Time & End Time
I have a table of data for my Scheduled cutting list that is exported from another program into an Excel Spreadsheet and from this table I would like to be able to find the start and end time of the production runs automatically in a separate table. The table is set up like this Planned order Time Product Description Volume 12345 08:00:00 Product 1 3500 23435 11:32:00 Product 2 5680 14567 13:24:00 Product 3 10000 and so on. I can find the start time by us...

Excel with Netmeeting
I need to learn in a short period of time if using netmeeting is a secure, effective way of sharing Excel files on the internet with a coworker. These files must be kept secure because they contain client information that is not for public viewing. Thank you for any help you can provide. ...

run time error
When I attempt to import a text file (.txt) in to Access, an error occurs. Run-time error �3163�: The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data When I click the Debug button this pops up: .Fields("TranType").Value = rs("MoveType").Value A different error occurs when save it to my desktop, and this is what happens.Run-time error �2185�: You can�t reference a property or method for a control unless the control has the focus. When I click the Debug button this pops up: MsgBox "Import File Not Found:&quo...

Am I behind the times?
I have just installed Exchange sp2 on my SBS 2008 boxes and all went well. One weird thing at the end of one of the installs it said Web Apps (I think) couldn't restore default configuration, but everything seems to be working just fine. So then I went to look for updates and I see a few that I must have missed. I use WSUS on the network. One is Exchange SP2 update rollup 3. Go for it or no? Second, Windows Server 2008 SP2. Yikes, when did that come out for SBS? I wonder why it never popped up before since it looks like it's been out for quite some time. Nonetheless, s...

Transferring freight more than one time on a sales order
We frequently have partial shipments of sales orders and we leave the sales order open until everything has shipped instead of creating backorders. The system will allow you to have several tracking numbers for each order but you can only transfer the freight once. I would like to make the suggestion to be able to transfer freight more than one time. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, ...

how to validate excel spreadsheets
Hi guys I am developing a document management solution in which some data will be received as an xl spreadsheet that complies to a certain pre-defined template/format (headings,datatypes etc) that maps to database columns where the data will eventually be saved.How can I go about this also taking into account that during validation all errors must be logged and routed to the respective stakeholders Please Help ...

Incorrect Time Stamps
Exchange seems to be stamping the wrong time on emails and events sporadically. All the times on servers are correct. Any thoughts? -- Craig Tuttle - Level I Exchange Tech UCNSB.org The time stamp can also be handled by the client. Which exact time field is being stamped wrong? Have you verified that the client has the correct time (i.e. Daylight savings time set correctly)? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Craig Tuttle" <CraigTuttle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02D51926-77DC-43EB-A5B5-7A00F4530323@microsoft.com... > Exchange seems to b...

Excel #56
When I type a number into a spreadsheet i.e. 12 it displays as 1200 on any new workbook in any cell. i have checked the formats, custom, special etc, iterations and regional settings in control panel yet all are OK. If I sum the numbers e.g. 1200+1200 the result is 24 - ??? this has only started o happen in the last two days. Hi try formating the cells as 'General' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Linda Gallagher wrote: > When I type a number into a spreadsheet i.e. 12 it displays as 1200 > on any new workbook in any cell. i have checked the formats, custom, > s...

How chart time scale x-axis with another date serie
Hello all. I have this problem, I will need to create this chart that I don't know how to. Serie 1 is below which needs to be time scaled Date Count 1/1/2006 12 1/2/2006 3 1/3/2006 5 2/1/2006 18 2/3/2006 4 2/18/2006 9 4/1/2006 18 7/4/2006 38 Serie 2 - needs to plot the three dates in serie 1's time scaled X-Axis with symbols. 1/31/2006 2/18/2006 4/2/2006 I will look something like you have a line of count on a time-scaled chart, with 3 dates point in the x-axis. Please ...

Transparency graphic option not working on Excel Charts?
Can anyone help me to turn on the "transparency" option for Excel Charts? In each type of chart I select and then try to create a transparent color... there is the option, but it's not available for me to use. Is there a way to turn this on? Hi, Transparency is not support in windows based XL. I think the Mac guys have it. Here is a work around from John Walkenbach, that might be useful. http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip071.htm Charles wrote: > Can anyone help me to turn on the "transparency" option for Excel Charts? In > each type of chart I sele...

Activity default due time
I need to stop the default coming up as 12:00am and set it to something like 9am so people get reminders at reasonable times. How can this be done? thanks Adrian Adrian, If you don't mind writing a few lines of code, look at "Setting a default time in a date field" in Client Side Scripting - More JavaScript Code - Part 3 (http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS12). -- Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2 Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx Custom Lookup Dialog: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/?area=customLookup The ...

Template format changes
How do I change the default formatting for "$", "%" and"," when I open a NEW file? When I enter a large number and select comma formatting, it gives me two decimals, and I want none. I would like one decimal with percent format. Older versions of Excel allowed you to save a normal.xlt file with changes. When I add a personal template, Excel won't load it without me selecting it each time. Tom Excel never had a Normal.xlt, it had a BOOK.XLT Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish. File>Save As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and s...