The Sheet-Rename feature is greyed-out in my Excel 2003 workbook..

One of my Users has a workbook created under Excel 2003.  We are now using
Excel 2007.  The User wants to Rename her Sheet Tabs but the Rename feature
is greyed-out as though the Workbook is password-protected.  When clicking on
Home-Cells-Format there appears to be no password and my User knows of none.
I've also tried SaveAs and checked "Tools-General Options": nothing is marked
but the 'Password to Open' window was greyed-out and the file's title-bar
said "(shared)" so I re-saved it as another name and removed the sharing
option at save-time, closed & reopened, but still the Rename feature on the
Sheet tab is greyed-out.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

You are looking in the wrong place for protection.

Review tab>protect workbook.  Uncheck "protect structure and windows"

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:32:01 -0800, Marlene
<Marlene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>One of my Users has a workbook created under Excel 2003.  We are now using
>Excel 2007.  The User wants to Rename her Sheet Tabs but the Rename feature
>is greyed-out as though the Workbook is password-protected.  When clicking on
>Home-Cells-Format there appears to be no password and my User knows of none.
>I've also tried SaveAs and checked "Tools-General Options": nothing is marked
>but the 'Password to Open' window was greyed-out and the file's title-bar
>said "(shared)" so I re-saved it as another name and removed the sharing
>option at save-time, closed & reopened, but still the Rename feature on the
>Sheet tab is greyed-out.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

0
Gord

How can I share information between multiple sheets in Excel?
New question: I know now how to use "=sheet1!a1" to copy cells from sheet 1 to sheet 2,3 etc. Is there is a formula that will allow me to enter data into sheet 2, and have it copy automatically into sheet 1 and 3, or into sheet 3 going to sheet 1 and 2? So that I can enter the data into any sheet and have it transfer to all sheets, rather than always from sheet 1 to sheets 2 and 3. Nothing built into excel (except for the formula you showed). But I'd be very hesitant to separate my data. I'd do my best to keep all the data on one worksheet. You can use Data|Fi...

Transfer the total of mutiple entries in a sheet to another sheet in the same file #2
How to transfer the total of multiple of multiple entries in a sheet to another shet in the same file. Please help me in this formula ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** ...

Call from a different sheet?
I'm wondering if it's possible in Excel to call data from a different sheet. For example if I changed A1 in sheet 2 it'd affect forumlas in sheet 1. -- HisHighness ------------------------------------------------------------------------ HisHighness's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31454 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=511552 You can link to another worksheet with a formula like ='Sheet1'!A1 -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson...

HOW DO I CHANGE THE ORDER OF THE SHEETS IN EXCEL WORKBOOK?
my sheets are not in the order I want them. How do I change the order. The data is already in the sheets. Click on the tab and drag it to where you want to. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- "joanbaer" <joanbaer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F45...

Help adding a personal folder in Outlook 2003
I am having problem adding a personal folder in Outlook 2003. When I do File/Open/Outlook Data File I get the following error: File access is denied. You do not have the permissions required to access the file c:\mail\personal.pst. I susspect this has something to do with NT user accounts. When I am logged into the machine as "user1" the file opens just fine in Outlook. When I log in as "user2" and try to open the .pst I get the error. If it matters user2 already has three account associated with it; an exchange (default), MSN (via MAPI), & Hotmail (via ht...

Excel Cell #2
I have data (number) to be imported from a database to Excel workshee the long of this number is up to 20 digits. when exporting it, the las digits (after fifteen digits) become zeroes. For example 82000032656565612345 becomes 82000032656565600000. Kindly confirm if there is any settings to modify the Excel cell t accept like this number!!! Your help is highly appreciated. -- ansi_1111 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ansi_11111's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3522 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.c...

Update Automatic Links Not Working in 2003
When opening a file and being asked "Update Automatic Links?", I respond yes but the links don't update. If I go into Edit, Links and update manually, then it works. The original file was created in Excel 97 or 2000; the feature does not work on users who have 2003; the feature does work on users who have 97 or 2000????? I've seen this, too, and found that I have to press F9 to recalculate the spreadsheet. Thanks for the tip but F9 did not do anything. "Dave O" wrote: > I've seen this, too, and found that I have to press F9 to recalculate > the sp...

Cannot open Excel attachments
Hi Everyone, I have a user that when she receives an Excel attachment she right clicks and selects save as selects the destination and clicks save. She then gets the error that Outlook cannot save the attachment: Unable to create file "filename".xls. She has local admin rights to the machine and this problem just started last Thursday. She has the following versions Windows XP Pro and Office XP Small Business, both with SP1 applied. She has NO problems opening Word or Acrobat attachments. Please feel free to send replies directly to my email and Thanks, Ben ...

Sheet to sheet copying
Hi, I have two spreadsheets. One called nursing and the other medical. I want to be able to copy certain cells from one sheet to other and visa verca without the need to copy & paste. So I want a cell in nursing to search a column for specific text in the medical sheet, then I want the contents of cells in the row where the text is found to be copied to cells in the nursing sheet. Example: The cells B3-G3 in the nursing sheet to search Column A in the medical sheet for specific text e.g. "G1". When "G1" is found in cell A5 then the contents of cells B5-G5 in t...

New user in need of assistance Re: excel pop-ups, forms, +more!!
Hello to all that read this! I have been asked to complete a mini project and have no idea how to make it happen in excel! I require a pop-up to ask me to enter a date for items to be ordered, what the items are, and also a date for when they are required by. Once that has been entered, this needs to populate cells in excel. Working from the dates supplied in those cells, a pop-up is required when it is time for an item to be ordered to remind a user to do so. I would also require a pop-up indicating when an item is late for being ordered i.e it has passed its order-by date. And fin...

Excel files transferred to XP system
I just bought a new computer and without realizing it, it has the Microsoft XP system on it and I am unable to open any of my files created with Microsoft ME. Can anyone help me with this? To open Excel files, you need to have Excel on the system. XP does not automatically come with Excel "trp754" <trp754@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCEB8B31-DEB4-4E45-9DBB-B39694468611@microsoft.com... : I just bought a new computer and without realizing it, it has the Microsoft : XP system on it and I am unable to open any of my files created with : Microsoft ME. ...

Discussion of Money Plus (M08) feature: Link to Image or File
The ability to associate a scanned receipt, photo, or other document to a transaction has been frequently requested. Money Plus (M08) adds a feature that allows a link to such a document. There are articles about this in Help. Enter "link" into the search box of Help to see a list of articles. In Advanced register, you can do the linking in a credit card, bank, asset, liability, savings, checking account, as well as the Cash Transactions register of an Investment account. The only transactions that I have found that you cannot link from are a loan account and the Investment Trans...

Exchange 5.5 (latest SP and hotfixes) and Outlook 2k and 2003 Send/Receive Issue
I am running Exchange 5.5 Standard with latest of everything. My clients are running either 2k or 2003, most being 2k. I have an issue with all clients when sending receiving e-mail. Mail is no longer instantly sent or received. Mail sent stays in the Outbox until I change folders or click on a different e-mail message. Same way with receiving mail. People will have Outlook open and sitting in Inbox. If they don't move around no messages come in. But the moment they select a new folder/e-mail, etc. a slew of messages come in. What is the problem and how do I correct? Thank you. ...

Merge Curves in Excel Graph from VB.NET
I'm trying to merge two curves in an Excel graph from within VB.NET. Unfortunately, when trying to use Range and Unite the VB.NET program crashes with an error message that these are private ...

Max number sheets in a file?
How many sheets can an excel 2002 file have if each sheet has only abou a page of text? I'm just looking for a general idea, if it's lots an lots and I don't need to worry about it that's a good enough answer fo m -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The number will be limited by the memory in your computer. Certainly hundreds of sheets is well within most machine's capacity. In article <bishopwill.154u1g@excelforum-nospam.com>, bishopwill <<bishopwill.154u1g@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > How many sheets can an excel 2002 file hav...

Excel 2007 & 1997 compatability
Can I make it possible for an Excel 2007 document to be read using Excel 1997? realroadking wrote: > Can I make it possible for an Excel 2007 document to be read using Excel 1997? The answer is "Yes, but..." In Excel 2007, use "Save As" and select "Excel 97-2003 Workbook." The "but..." part is that any new features introduced in Excel 2007, such as the additional rows and columns in 2007, will not be carried over to the saved spreadsheet. An alternative approach is to download and install the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack, which...

Open a Workbook
Hello, I need to create a VBA macro to will allow to select and open a workbook to activate it. The name of the workbook will change. The name cannot be fixed. Thanks, Jeff Something like this will work...displays Excel's open dialog, stores the file selected and opens the workbook Sub OpenWorkbok() Dim fName As String fName = Application.GetOpenFilename() Workbooks.Open Filename:=fName End Sub -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A0A...

Check Register to Mortgage Sheet
Hi; I am using MS Money 2007. If I write a check in my register to my mortgage company, how do I get that transaction to update my mortgage account register? Do I have to type it in twice (Once to my check register and once to my mortgage register)? I would like to set some stuff up where items in my check register automatically cary to other account items. Thanks for any advice on this. Pat From the Check Register make it a transfer to your Mortgage Account. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mn...

Outlook 2003 HTML Message body Removed
I have just installed outlook 2003 and E-mails that are formated in HTML are received but the body is removed. What is the fix for this? Thanks. ...

Calendar in Excel
Can someone help me with a calendar to use in Excel that can be formatted so as to show special dates, current holidays, etc. WARNING: I need explicit instructions. This sort of stuff is not intuitive to me. Thanks, Dot ...

list sheet comments
Hi, I have a sheet with a lot of comments. I would like to create a macro that lists all the comments of the sheet in column F. I=B4ve tried something similar like this: For Each cmt in ActiveSheet.Comments MsgBox cmt.Text Next cmt But I don=B4t know how to list each comment in each cell of column F instead of a msgbox. thanks Dim StartCell as Range dim Cmt as comment with activesheet set startcell = .range("F1") for each cmt in .comments startcell.value = cmt.txt 'come down to the next cell set startcell = startcell.offset(1,0) n...

Installation of Access 2003 prevents Access 2000 from opening a report
I've been using Access 2000 (on XP SP2) without problems until I installed a new copy of Access 2003 on the same machine. An Access 2000 database (.mdb) which have been working on is fine in Access 2003, but will not work properly any more in Access 2000. The forms open in 2000 as before, but using form buttons to launch report previews can crash the program - "Microsoft Office Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". The reports which crash the program have subreports, one with a graph object. They will open normally when open...

blank out rest of work sheet
I was wondering how to blank out the empy cells in my worksheet. For example: I have data in columns A-F down about 50 rows. I do not want to see any rows past that. When I am saving the data as a text file, I am getting extra rows in my file for some reason and I want to see if this would prevent this from happening. Thanks... --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.769 / Virus Database: 516 - Release Date: 9/24/2004 Hi Shawn, See the explanation and remedial notes on Debra Dalgleish's web site: ...

Thanks to microsoft.public.excel
I used to post my questions on microsoft.fr.public.excel. I'll never do that any longer, thanks to the quality of the english-apeaking NG. French MVP's are OK, but the french NG is generally low technically speaking. Cheers, -- LR Bonjour, *laurent de-richemont* Ca fait un peu provoc, et �a fait pas plaisir... Mais c'est ton opinion, et je ne la partage pas. microsoft.public.excel, c'est autrement bon ? -- P. Bastard > I used to post my questions on microsoft.fr.public.excel. I'll never > do that any longer, thanks to the quality of the english-apeaking ...

unable to start word 2003
When I start up Word it comes up with an error message saying "Microsoft Office Word has encountered a problem and need to close" it gives me the option to recover my work and restart word: If I say yes; "word failed to start correctly last time. Starting in safe mode will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully start the program" and so it starts in 'safe mode'. If I don't start in safe mode this goes on in an indefinite loop. Any ideas? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm -- Te...