Text Values #2

I'm tryng to build a spreadsheet to track employee vacations.  How do I
sum 8 hours if a cell has a "V" entered and 4 hours if a cell has an
"X" entered?

Assuming you're using column A, and each row is either the number of hours
worked, or a V or a X, then use a helper column, B, and insert this in B1
and copy down.......change the A1's to A2's if you have a header in Row 1,
and put this in B2.

=IF(A1="V",8,IF(A1="X",4,A1))

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Brando" <carpenterchsd@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I'm tryng to build a spreadsheet to track employee vacations.  How do I
> sum 8 hours if a cell has a "V" entered and 4 hours if a cell has an
> "X" entered?

0
croberts (1377)
4/18/2005 12:55:15 AM
Thanks!

But what I have is a workbook with 12 sheets with the months and 1
sheet with statistics.  I have 30 employees listed down Column A and
the days of the month across the row.  The stat sheet sums the number
of days taken by an employee.  I want to enter a V to show he/she is
taking a full day of vacation or an X to indicate a 1/2 day.  This will
allow employees to see what days are available.  The stat sheet allows
me to track how much time each employee has scheduled and taken.

If you want to add the numbers in a single row, including 8 for V and 4 for
X, then maybe this, adjusted for your row length might do it for you.......

=SUM(A1:Z1)+(COUNTIF(A1:Z1,"V")*8)+(COUNTIF(A1:Z1,"X")*4)

> Thanks!
>
> But what I have is a workbook with 12 sheets with the months and 1
> sheet with statistics.  I have 30 employees listed down Column A and
> the days of the month across the row.  The stat sheet sums the number
> of days taken by an employee.  I want to enter a V to show he/she is
> taking a full day of vacation or an X to indicate a 1/2 day.  This will
> allow employees to see what days are available.  The stat sheet allows
> me to track how much time each employee has scheduled and taken.

0
croberts (1377)
4/18/2005 1:45:48 AM
That did it for me!

Thanks so much for the help.

You're more than welcome...........thanks for the feedback...........

> That did it for me!
>
> Thanks so much for the help.

0
croberts (1377)

TEXT = text

Selecting text in a document

Pocket PC Money #2
Does anyone know how to set the password in Money so it prompts you each time you open it, not merely when you have performed a soft reset??? On "Casper" <schaerf@vicnet.net.au> wrote: >Does anyone know how to set the password in Money so it >prompts you each time you open it, not merely when you >have performed a soft reset??? Set a password on the device? -------------------------------------------- To send me e-mail exorcise NO Spam from my e-mail address. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #...

CScrollView and text height

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

Variable chart Source Data Y Values
I can't seem to encode the Y-Values of a chart to have a variable range. (in Excel 2000) I have tried things like: ="INDIRECT( CONCATENATE( "Sheet1!$A$1:$A$", TEXT($B$1,"0") ) )" where $B$1 = 20. I had hoped this would produce (and evaluate) the formula "Sheet1$A $1:$A$20". Instead, I receive "That function is not valid". Does anyone know of a way to do this? The reason I ask is: I have a data series which keeps track of monthly values and estimates the future months' values. This is done using a formula in future month'...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Null in text box

How to convert a Chinese registry value from within a US code page?
First of all, our Win32 MFC VC++ app is not written in Unicode as it should have been. Given that - it reads uninstall information from the windows Uninstall registry tree and writes it to a report. It writes out the displayname of the application. Normally this is not a problem, but when it encounters a Chinese application name, it displays the name as question marks. I assume this is because the string is in Unicode in the registry, but our app is not Unicode so it can't represent the characters. Unfortunately for the moment, converting this very large app to Unicode is not an o...

OWA certificate #2
Hi, Wht is the recommended Certificate Authority to use for hosting on OWA site? Shall I install my own internal Certificate root ? (which is free) 0r go for external like Verisign? What are the pros and cons of both? any guidance appreciated. In news:E57F5002-DC53-4548-B3C2-2A91B2A065B2@microsoft.com, Jack Dorson <JackDorson@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi, > > Wht is the recommended Certificate Authority to use for hosting on > OWA site? > > Shall I install my own internal Certificate root ? (which is free) > > 0r > > go for external like ...

Re: Using Text Styles

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

how can i use the same account with the same personal folders in two computers #2
please help in my company we have to use one account in two machines and we want every one in two machines to be aware of what the other do and what mails he send and recive, please note that dont use microsoft exchange as a mail server thanks in advance ...

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

Extracting pixel values from a picture control (continued)
Does anyone see what the problem is with this code, and if my process makes any sense? // Local vars int nImageSizeX = 640; int nImageSizeY = 480; char cFilename[256] = {"C:/Test1.bmp"}; // Load the image HBITMAP hBitmap = NULL; hBitmap = (HBITMAP) LoadImage(NULL, cFilename, IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0, LR_LOADFROMFILE | LR_CREATEDIBSECTION | LR_DEFAULTSIZE); if (NULL == hBitmap) { exit(1); } // Set the bitmap to the picture control // m_picSource1 is a CStatic variable of the picture control on my dialog m_picDestination.SetBitmap(hBitmap); HDC hdc = (HD...

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...

Column charts
Is there a way of formatting a column by the value - eg green for >= 98%, red for <98%? Jon Peltier tell all at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Bernster" <Bernster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D972C0D-4B24-4F18-B6D1-251D4C357D8D@microsoft.com... > Is there a way of formatting a column by the value - eg green for >= 98%, > red > for <98%? Hi, There are two possible questions here - 1. Can you f...

Matching cells #2
In column A I have a series of numbers which contains some of the numbers in column D. Column E contains names that are associated with the numbers in column D. Is there a formula I can use so that the name from column E will be copied into column B based on matching the numbers. A B C D E 01 01 amy 05 02 jim 06 03 alice 04 tom 05 eric 06 lisa In this case amy would copy to row 1 column B ...