Text to column #5

I have a text file of data that i get on a daily basis and have to perform
the 'text to column' function on each time. Is there a way that i can just
place the new text data in column A and have it automatically updated
starting in, say, column C. Alternatively, if that isnt possible is there a
function i can write to extract the data from the text file myself. Example:
Text in A1
abc 123 def 456 ghi

How can i extract abc, 123, def, 456 and ghi into cells c1 through g1?

If your text string is always the same length and format, one clunky solution
would be to write a formula in cell B1 such as left(A1,3), then in C1
=Mid(A1,4,3), etc

John Wood

"ExcelQuestion" wrote:

> I have a text file of data that i get on a daily basis and have to perform
> the 'text to column' function on each time. Is there a way that i can just
> place the new text data in column A and have it automatically updated
> starting in, say, column C. Alternatively, if that isnt possible is there a
> function i can write to extract the data from the text file myself. Example:
> Text in A1
> abc 123 def 456 ghi
>
> How can i extract abc, 123, def, 456 and ghi into cells c1 through g1?
0
JohnWood (3)
9/14/2005 8:59:08 PM
I think this will work, but can you be more specific as to how i should do
it. here is the text in A1:

 34.00   20.00  ABC                        1.06 +  1.00       308,885  21.00
 20.49  20.50  -0.40  20.30  20.50

thats all in one line though. so i need it to be separated into 12 columns.
the length and format are always the same.

"John Wood" wrote:

> If your text string is always the same length and format, one clunky solution
> would be to write a formula in cell B1 such as left(A1,3), then in C1
> =Mid(A1,4,3), etc
>
> John Wood
>
> "ExcelQuestion" wrote:
>
> > I have a text file of data that i get on a daily basis and have to perform
> > the 'text to column' function on each time. Is there a way that i can just
> > place the new text data in column A and have it automatically updated
> > starting in, say, column C. Alternatively, if that isnt possible is there a
> > function i can write to extract the data from the text file myself. Example:
> > Text in A1
> > abc 123 def 456 ghi
> >
> > How can i extract abc, 123, def, 456 and ghi into cells c1 through g1?

TEXT = text

Selecting text in a document

CScrollView and text height

100% stacked column/clustered column
Hello I have a 100% stacked column chart (12 columns). The first two columns show data for: EUN 2002 EUN 2003 The next two shows data for: EUS 2002 EUS 2003 and so on. I want to have EUN 2002 and EUN2003 placed without any space (as in a clustered column chart). Similarly for EUS 2002 and EUS 2003 and on. Any help? Hans Knudsen Hi Hans - Through careful arrangement of the data in your worksheet, you can make a stacked column chart that looks like a clustered-stacked column chart. There is a tutorial showing this technique on Bernard Liengme's site: http://www.stfx.ca/peop...

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

SQL Compact 3.5 missing in VS2008proSP1
Hi, I have just tried to install / uninstall / re-install / repair SQL Server compact edition into my VS 2008 Pro SP1 My SQL Server works fine, However the compact edition does not seem to show in the datasource options at all. As a result, when I go and add a 'local database' I get an error. I have searched the net and can't seem to find a soltuion ( still searching ). Any help would be appreciated. Cheers' Miro Solved: I had to go to the cd and go to WCU\SSCE and run SSCEVSTools-enu.msi Cheers' Miro "Miro" <miro@be...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Null in text box

Re: Using Text Styles

How do I merge two columns without losing data?
If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the merge? One way =CONCATENATE(A1,B1) Ian --- "Caseybay" <Caseybay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D860F83-00D5-446D-AAA5-BE938DF3C1BF@microsoft.com... > If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column > feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the > merge? =a1&b1 or =a1&" "&b1 (use a helper column of formulas.) Caseybay wrote...

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...

automatically updating a column
I have two columns, A and B, where I manually add a number to col. A every day. Col. B is sum of all numbers from beginning in col. A. There is an easy formula for col. B, e.g., b2=a2+b1. But every day, after entering the number in col. A, I have to copy one down in col. B. How can I have that copying done automatically as soon as I make an entry in col. A? On Feb 17, 4:53 pm, "cmar" <cm...@ne.rr.com> wrote: > But every day, after entering the number in col. A, > I have to copy one down in col. B. How can I have > that copying done automatically as soon as...

How to get the text of each selection?
Hi, Dear All We can use Ctrl key and mouse to multi-select range in a document, but if somebody could tell me how to get the text of each selection? Cheers! osen Sorry, it is not really possible. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288424. The closest you can come is to use Selection.Copy, then open a new blank document and paste. The individual pieces will be separated by paragraph marks, but you can't distinguish between those and any paragraph marks that might have been in the middle of some pieces. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FA...

Text Search in for the field of memo does not workd
hello, Here is my VBA, but does not work for text search in my textbox search. Private Sub Txtcari_AfterUpdate() Dim strSQL As String strFilter = "([Nota] LIKE """ & "*" & Me.Txtcari & "*" & """)" Me.Filter = strFilter Me.FilterOn = True CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnError End Sub Thanks in advance for your help. -- H. Frank Situmorang You've declared strSQL, and you attempt to use its content with the Execute method, but you haven't assigned anything to it. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access M...

Further Info on changing text in one cell to to criteria of another.
I have a workbook that charts the progress of my clients. One of m cells automatically determines their age, and when they become olde than six, I need another cell's text to automatically change to "AO (standing for "Aged Out" of my program). I cannot us the functio =IF(A1>6,"AO"," ") because I already have the clients status imputed i that cell. I need it to be a type of conditional formatting or VB cod so that it will automatically change once the reach 6. I have attache an example of my workbook. It has a VB code that changes the row colo based on ...

Cropping text from a number
Hi I am doing a staight comparisions of two numbers in two different cells (a percentage increase) However one of the numbers I am using has an asterisk on the left hand end of the number. Obviously excel cannot calculate the increase given it is not redaing the cell as a number. How can I right a formula so that excell does not read the asterisk rather only the number any help would be appreciated Hi Matt! You could set up an extra column to the right of the offending numbers and use: Data > Text to Columns Or you could set up and extra column and parse the offending numbers ...