Text to column #2

Is there a quick way to separate the below column into
letter and part#(hundreds of rows)?

from:

IC19-004-01
TRS30-000-01
C12-001-01
27-044-01

To:
IC   19-004-01
TRS  30-000-01
C    12-001-01
     27-044-01

Hi,

Not the most elegant solution I'm afraid, but it appears to work.

if your list starts in A1, then in B1 one enter:

=IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,1,1))),1,IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,2,1))),2,IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,3,1))),3,IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,4,1))),4))))

in c1 enter

=LEFT(A1,B1-1)

and in d1 enter

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-B1+1)

Highlight cells b1, c1 and d1 and drag down the page by pulling on the
bottom right hand corner of the selection.

Hope I understood your problem correctly.

Gromit

In your sample data, all the parts end with a nine digit number. So, if
the part numbers start in cell A2, enter the following formula in cell
B2:  =LEFT(A2,LEN(A2)-9)

Enter the following in C2: =RIGHT(A2,9)

Copy the two formulas down to the last row of data.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

TEXT = text

Selecting text in a document

Pocket PC Money #2
Does anyone know how to set the password in Money so it prompts you each time you open it, not merely when you have performed a soft reset??? On "Casper" <schaerf@vicnet.net.au> wrote: >Does anyone know how to set the password in Money so it >prompts you each time you open it, not merely when you >have performed a soft reset??? Set a password on the device? -------------------------------------------- To send me e-mail exorcise NO Spam from my e-mail address. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #...

CScrollView and text height

100% stacked column/clustered column
Hello I have a 100% stacked column chart (12 columns). The first two columns show data for: EUN 2002 EUN 2003 The next two shows data for: EUS 2002 EUS 2003 and so on. I want to have EUN 2002 and EUN2003 placed without any space (as in a clustered column chart). Similarly for EUS 2002 and EUS 2003 and on. Any help? Hans Knudsen Hi Hans - Through careful arrangement of the data in your worksheet, you can make a stacked column chart that looks like a clustered-stacked column chart. There is a tutorial showing this technique on Bernard Liengme's site: http://www.stfx.ca/peop...

email format #2
What should my setting be on for email format? MIME or UUENCODE? What is the difference? ...

Launching Excel #2
How can I configure Excel to launch a separate window (or instance) for each Excel document I open through explorer? Tools>Options>View> Check Windows in Taskbar "wllee" wrote: > How can I configure Excel to launch a separate window (or instance) for each > Excel document I open through explorer? What I need is to open 2 instances so I can have each in its own display (monitor). I realize I can stretch Excel across the desktop, but I would prefer to have two separate instances running. "David Hepner" wrote: > Tools>Options>View> Check ...

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

Ranking Numbers with Text

Null in text box

OWA certificate #2
Hi, Wht is the recommended Certificate Authority to use for hosting on OWA site? Shall I install my own internal Certificate root ? (which is free) 0r go for external like Verisign? What are the pros and cons of both? any guidance appreciated. In news:E57F5002-DC53-4548-B3C2-2A91B2A065B2@microsoft.com, Jack Dorson <JackDorson@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi, > > Wht is the recommended Certificate Authority to use for hosting on > OWA site? > > Shall I install my own internal Certificate root ? (which is free) > > 0r > > go for external like ...

Re: Using Text Styles

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

How do I merge two columns without losing data?
If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the merge? One way =CONCATENATE(A1,B1) Ian --- "Caseybay" <Caseybay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2D860F83-00D5-446D-AAA5-BE938DF3C1BF@microsoft.com... > If I want to split a column in two, I know I can use the Text to Column > feature. How can I go from two columns to one without losing data in the > merge? =a1&b1 or =a1&" "&b1 (use a helper column of formulas.) Caseybay wrote...

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

how can i use the same account with the same personal folders in two computers #2
please help in my company we have to use one account in two machines and we want every one in two machines to be aware of what the other do and what mails he send and recive, please note that dont use microsoft exchange as a mail server thanks in advance ...

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

automatically updating a column
I have two columns, A and B, where I manually add a number to col. A every day. Col. B is sum of all numbers from beginning in col. A. There is an easy formula for col. B, e.g., b2=a2+b1. But every day, after entering the number in col. A, I have to copy one down in col. B. How can I have that copying done automatically as soon as I make an entry in col. A? On Feb 17, 4:53 pm, "cmar" <cm...@ne.rr.com> wrote: > But every day, after entering the number in col. A, > I have to copy one down in col. B. How can I have > that copying done automatically as soon as...

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...