Text Function: Store Value instead of Reference

I apologize if this is a newbie question but I can't seem to find th
answer anywhere.

I am trying to clean up some data and have a column that contains 1
character ID numbers.

I only need the last 5 characters so I setup another column to get the
using =RIGHT(B2,5)

Now that I have the last 5, I don't need the original column and wan
to delete it and retain my new column. I can't though since the ne
column has a reference to the original.

How can I store the value returned from the RIGHT function instead o
the reference?

Or, is there a better way to do this such as running some function o
the original column and converting the values within it?

Thanks

Varmint,

1) Copy your cells with the formulas, then pastespecial values over them.
2) Use Text to columns instead, inserting a break after the 7th character,
then delete the first column.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"varmint >" <<varmint.16x8wz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I apologize if this is a newbie question but I can't seem to find the
> answer anywhere.
>
> I am trying to clean up some data and have a column that contains 12
> character ID numbers.
>
> I only need the last 5 characters so I setup another column to get them
> using =RIGHT(B2,5)
>
> Now that I have the last 5, I don't need the original column and want
> to delete it and retain my new column. I can't though since the new
> column has a reference to the original.
>
> How can I store the value returned from the RIGHT function instead of
> the reference?
>
> Or, is there a better way to do this such as running some function on
> the original column and converting the values within it?
>
> Thanks!
>

> ---

Bernie
5/27/2004 3:56:13 PM
Hi

To 'fix' your values from your formulas, copy the range and then Edit /
Paste Special / Values

--
Andy.

"varmint >" <<varmint.16x8wz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I apologize if this is a newbie question but I can't seem to find the
> answer anywhere.
>
> I am trying to clean up some data and have a column that contains 12
> character ID numbers.
>
> I only need the last 5 characters so I setup another column to get them
> using =RIGHT(B2,5)
>
> Now that I have the last 5, I don't need the original column and want
> to delete it and retain my new column. I can't though since the new
> column has a reference to the original.
>
> How can I store the value returned from the RIGHT function instead of
> the reference?
>
> Or, is there a better way to do this such as running some function on
> the original column and converting the values within it?
>
> Thanks!
>

> ---

andyb1 (494)
5/27/2004 3:56:15 PM
Hi
copy the formula results and insert them with 'Edit - Paste Specials -
Values' to remove the formulas

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"varmint >" <<varmint.16x8wz@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:varmint.16x8wz@excelforum-nospam.com...
> I apologize if this is a newbie question but I can't seem to find the
> answer anywhere.
>
> I am trying to clean up some data and have a column that contains 12
> character ID numbers.
>
> I only need the last 5 characters so I setup another column to get
them
> using =RIGHT(B2,5)
>
> Now that I have the last 5, I don't need the original column and want
> to delete it and retain my new column. I can't though since the new
> column has a reference to the original.
>
> How can I store the value returned from the RIGHT function instead of
> the reference?
>
> Or, is there a better way to do this such as running some function on
> the original column and converting the values within it?
>
> Thanks!
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
5/27/2004 3:59:15 PM
If you use "paste special" from the edit menu and select "values"

Dunca

Select the column, then:
<Data> <TextToColumns> <FixedWidth> <Next>
Set the break line to separate the last five digits, then <Next>
Click "Do Not Import", then <Finish>.
And you now have *only* the last five digits in the column remaining!
--

HTH,

RD

"varmint >" <<varmint.16x8wz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
I apologize if this is a newbie question but I can't seem to find the
answer anywhere.

I am trying to clean up some data and have a column that contains 12
character ID numbers.

I only need the last 5 characters so I setup another column to get them
using =RIGHT(B2,5)

Now that I have the last 5, I don't need the original column and want
to delete it and retain my new column. I can't though since the new
column has a reference to the original.

How can I store the value returned from the RIGHT function instead of
the reference?

Or, is there a better way to do this such as running some function on
the original column and converting the values within it?

Thanks!

---

ragdyer1 (4060)
5/27/2004 4:09:04 PM
Thanks Everybody

TEXT = text

Selecting text in a document

CScrollView and text height

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

Function is not availalbe in expressions in query expression error message (0/1)
I recently received this error message when opening the source DB in Access 2007. I have attached two jpg pics. Does this error message give enough details for someone to point me in the right direction for a fix? The last time I developed and worked in this DB everything worked fine. I get this error when clicking on a control that runs a query macro against a backend DB consisting of about 15 tables. I should mention the error comes into play when trying to run the frontend on a client W/S. I don't see the error while on my W/S which is my developer W/S and has Acce...

Q: Where Are Comments (SY04200) historical info stored?
I'm looking for where historical data for COMMENTS' CMMTTEXT is stored. I have the COMMENTID for an order in SOP30200/SOP10100 but when I look up the CMMTTEXT info it is sometimes different (if the user as subsequently changed the CMMTTEXT for a COMMENTID entry) from what the Great Plaines interface shows. I suspect because Great Plaines seems to get the CMMTTEXT which was there when the order was created/modified. How do it know? Where is the info stored? Also, why are the NOTEINDX values for entries in SY04200 not in SY03900? What is the purpose of the NOTEINDX value if it ...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Relative vs Absolute References (VBA Code)
Hi, If I'm recording a macro and specify to use relative references, why does the VBA code look as though it is specifying absolute cell references? I.e., ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Test" ActiveCell.Offset(1,0).Range("A1").Select Why is A1 listed here...considering I'm running this in another part of the worksheet say I42? Thanks Jerry What you're seeing is just a by-product of how Excel records macros. Actually, the Range("A1") part is not needed. So if it bothers you, you can edit your code like this: ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Test...

Null in text box

How to convert a Chinese registry value from within a US code page?
First of all, our Win32 MFC VC++ app is not written in Unicode as it should have been. Given that - it reads uninstall information from the windows Uninstall registry tree and writes it to a report. It writes out the displayname of the application. Normally this is not a problem, but when it encounters a Chinese application name, it displays the name as question marks. I assume this is because the string is in Unicode in the registry, but our app is not Unicode so it can't represent the characters. Unfortunately for the moment, converting this very large app to Unicode is not an o...

IF function 11-15-09
If I create a function which checks for text in a cell, it gives a #NAME? error. I have a sheet with a cell containing the text 'Single'. In another cell I want to check for that word so I type =if(a1=''Single'', 1,2). Is there something wrong with that IF, it happens with any text I check for. Perhaps you need to use a semicolon rather than a comma - try it this way: =3DIF(A1=3D"Single";1;2) Hope this helps. Pete On Nov 15, 8:31=A0pm, Imani <Im...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If I create a function which checks for text ...

Re: Using Text Styles

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

How to set up reference to allow dragging
hi Group, I have a formula that looks something like this: = CalcDiscount(ItemsSold FY2002) (where "CalcDiscount" is a macro function) I would like to be able to drag that formula across the row to fill in the remaining cells (for 2004, 2005, etc) But when I drag it, I get the SAME formula. Is there any way to set up the formula so that when one drags it, one would get: CalcDiscount(ItemsSold FY2003), CalcDiscount(ItemsSold FY2004), etc. Note that when the formula is just "= ItemsSold", and you drag that, you do get the ItemsSold in the column just above, ...

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

Extracting pixel values from a picture control (continued)
Does anyone see what the problem is with this code, and if my process makes any sense? // Local vars int nImageSizeX = 640; int nImageSizeY = 480; char cFilename[256] = {"C:/Test1.bmp"}; // Load the image HBITMAP hBitmap = NULL; hBitmap = (HBITMAP) LoadImage(NULL, cFilename, IMAGE_BITMAP, 0, 0, LR_LOADFROMFILE | LR_CREATEDIBSECTION | LR_DEFAULTSIZE); if (NULL == hBitmap) { exit(1); } // Set the bitmap to the picture control // m_picSource1 is a CStatic variable of the picture control on my dialog m_picDestination.SetBitmap(hBitmap); HDC hdc = (HD...

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...

How to get the text of each selection?
Hi, Dear All We can use Ctrl key and mouse to multi-select range in a document, but if somebody could tell me how to get the text of each selection? Cheers! osen Sorry, it is not really possible. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288424. The closest you can come is to use Selection.Copy, then open a new blank document and paste. The individual pieces will be separated by paragraph marks, but you can't distinguish between those and any paragraph marks that might have been in the middle of some pieces. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FA...