Text Files in Excel : keep strings

Hi !

I have to convert text files so as they can be read properly by excel.
If there was no problem to indicate correctly cells (with tabulation)
and to represent numbers properly, it still remains one :
There are some numbers I would like to be treated as text, but excel
treats them as numbers (strange isn't it ?? ;D). I thought I had found
a solution by inserting a " before these numbers (like "1543074 for
example), but unhappily, Excel doesn't treat the tabs properly after
that and the solution is worse than the illness.

You will tell me that I just have to select the column and tells it
that it is text, but my boss doesn't want this solution ... :/

So, I don't know what to do, the only solution I found for the moment
is to add an inelegant ' which remains when opening the file.... (ex :
'1541204)

Has everyone any idea ??

PS : Excuse my English
0
gmooron (3)

Well, my problem is now different. I found how to indicate that this
number is a string in my .txt : I must write =text(45342;0);
Anyway, there is a new problem, if my number begins with some 0s,
Excel automatically remove them ...

For example : =text(0041545;0) gives 41545 and when I edit the cell,
it is written =text(41545;0)

Is there any solutions ??
0
gmooron (3)
8/5/2003 6:41:23 PM
Well, I thank you, your first solution was the good one !! (=text ...)
And I couldn't use custom format because my boss doesn't want (I am
creating ascript to convert ext files to jscript for other users and
he doesn't want them to do that ... :-\)
Anyway, now, it is good !! :)

Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message news:<3F303A58.884E001E@msn.com>...
> I could write this formula:
>
>        =text(41545,"0000000")
> or     =text(41545;"0000000")
>
> to preserve the leading zeros (well up to 7 characters).
>
> But if you left them as numbers, you can just apply a custom format--select your
> range (whole column???) and do Format|Cells|Number Tab|Custom category and type:
> 0000000
>
> If you're importing this data into excel, you can apply that custom number
> format after you've imported it (and the good thing is that they're still
> numbers!).
>
> Or you could import your .Txt file and when you see the import wizard, choose
> text for that field.  But then the numerals are text--not really numbers.
>

> Gmooron wrote:
> >
> > Well, my problem is now different. I found how to indicate that this
> > number is a string in my .txt : I must write =text(45342;0);
> > Anyway, there is a new problem, if my number begins with some 0s,
> > Excel automatically remove them ...
> >
> > For example : =text(0041545;0) gives 41545 and when I edit the cell,
> > it is written =text(41545;0)
> >
> > Is there any solutions ??
0
gmooron (3)

Printing from Excel #2
We just purchased several Xerox 470 Copiers, they are networked and contain hard drives for ripping the print jobs. A user reported a problem, when he prints his multiple page spreadsheets to this device (which prints 65 ppm) he is having to wait excessive periods of time for the jobs to complete. As a test I printed 20 copies of a 1 page spreadsheet, in the print queue they appear as 20 separate jobs (whereas with word they appear as one document with 20 pages), initially the first 11 pages print out right away, but the last nine take between 3-5 minutes to print. I am curious why E...

How do I make a PowerPoint presentation on the fly using Excel files?
I have several Excel tables nicely formatted with updated data coming from a DB and I want to make some slides on the fly. I just found a shareware Excel add-on, XPPort that makes this kind of job. Are they any other kind of tool that allows an easy and quick generation of a nicely formatted PowerPoint presentation? Many thanks for any helps you can give Paolo You might want to consider automating the creation of a PowerPoint file with VBA. Try posting in microsoft.public.powerpoint or check out http://skp.mvps.org/vba.htm HTH, JP On Feb 19, 4:05=A0am, paulopost <paulopo...@yahoo.com&...

excel worksheets #4
Hello, I really need help! Can anyone help. How do I auto fill data in a worksheet by using the data from another worksheet within the same workbook. I have columns in each work sheet that are identical, so I just want to have the data autofilled from one worksheet to the other without having to retype each piece of data. I know that you can do it by cell by cell by selecting the cell then pressing "=", followed by the cell you want to correspond too. How do I do it by column? Pat, Select the column from the first cell down, then type =, followed by selecting the cell you...

PC freezes when I open a file
I have a four-page document with a lot of URLs. Whenever I open it, my mouse cannot click anything for about two minutes, and the document itself remains frozen for five minutes. If it is only that one document, it suggests that it is partially corrupt. Not knowing which version of Word or OS you are using makes it difficult to give you options to sort it out, but try the Open and Repair function first. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Mike Row Soft" <MikeRowSoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72B470EE-B86F-4018-99B5-F5FCEB41BB34@microsoft.c...

Outlook XP compatibility with 2003 PST files
Hi, Tried to import a .PST file from Office 2003 into Outlook XP, but got an error - file incompatible. I need to go back to Office XP. Is there a way, or utlily to let me import a 2003 .PST file into Outlook XP? Thanks, Rob Outlook 2003 defaults to using an Outlook 2003 PST file format. If you did not select in Outlook 2003 to use the Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (*.PST) format, then it may not be possible to import or recover any data from the PST file. In Outlook 2003 click Tools | E-mail Accounts | View or Change existing e-mail accounts, click New Outlook Data File and ...

color fill in excell
Using Office XP any cell with text or number will not print the color fill, only blank cells will print the color fill. It shows up ok in the print preview but does not print correctly. Can anyone help ...

TEXT = text

ACCESS/Parse XML String

Selecting text in a document

How can I create an ASCII file with double quotes around each field?
I need to convert Excel files to ASCII files with commas as delimiters. That part is easy. The problem is that I need each field to be surounded by double quotes. Here is an example of what my ASCII output needs to look like: "smith","robert","15","elm","street" "jones","robert","111","main","avenue" Can anyone suggest a solution on how I can convert my excel file to ASCII output as shown in my example? thanks very much! I can get the data into the correct format but then you will need to ...

Opening Excel File
Please Help I have Excel XP and I cant open another Excel file from Explorer or from an attachment in an email if I already have an excel file open. If i click on an excel file in explorer to open it it justs brings my previously opended excel file to the foreground. It doent open the new one at all. I have to go into the open excel sheet and choose open and browse for the file to open it which obviously causes a problem If I want to open an excel attachment. Any ideas. Cheers Paul Try to Re-register Excel. Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space be...

Money files compatibility
I have recently installed Money plus, and was trying to open my old money file where I have years of history. It is a money 2002 (with updates) file. When I try to open it, I get the following message: Money can't open this file, because it was created using a different version of money. This is very disappointing, surely I can still convert my old file into the new format somehow? if there a converting little software that I can download from your site, to use as a one-off? Please let me know. Many thanks in advance for your help. Money Plus Deluxe or Premium? (Essentials is a tota...

How do I set up an Excel Spreadsheet to record qualitative and qu.
Hi you may post your question as body of your posting and not as subject -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Graham" <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DF2506C9-BE0E-473D-A55F-09E0C6F3FE83@microsoft.com... > ...

CScrollView and text height

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

Adobe Distiller Crashes certain large Publisher files
I am trying to convert certain files in Publisher to PDF files using the Adobe Distiller. Most files work ok, but certain ones that have a lot of data crash publisher every time. This is not just on one terminal. The same error occurrs with the same files on other terminals in our office. What could be some possible causes and solutions? Thanks. Outside of the fact that you haven't told us any details about your software versions.........how large is this file? I've converted >5MB files with no problem. "cchtmpls" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Unable to debug a .dll file
Hello, I have 3 projects in an MFC application, in which 2 are dlls which the active project accesses. My application is giving an error on one of the devices (projector), whereas the same application works fine on another device of the same family of projectors. This application is for updating the firmware of the projector. When i was debugging the active project, i saw that the problem lies in the way the projector is responding to one of the calls made from one of the dlls. Now to check what exactly is the problem in the function present in the dll, i tried applyign break points in the d...

Null in text box

Integration assistant for excel #3
I am trying to run an integration and when I try to map the detail query information, my fields are not coming in to select from. The fields come in okay for the header query. Is there a step that I am missing? Thanks, Laura Laura: Here is KB solution you need to review: https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843786 You need to get the list of key fields right. "LauraS" wrote: > I am trying to run an integration and when I try to map the detail query > information, my fields are not coming in to select from. The fields come in > ...