text date to date format

I have column filled with:
'Apr  3 2005  4:37PM

And I need to change it to:
04/03/05 4:37PM

How do I get a textual date column into a sortable date/time column?  I'm
having problems because it sorts everything by alpha then numeric.  For
example, I have "Apr 15, 2005" before "Aug 10, 2003".  I need to get these
sorted by year, month, day...not alphabetically.  Thanks in advance for your
help!
0
Kyli (2)

you are right: the filter is not a time but a alpha sort

  you may change the cell format or copy the value in an other cell and
put the new format in the new column. Like YYYY-MM-DD : so the alpha
sorting will be the same than the calendar sorting !

Hi.  Do you know how I can grab the textual date and convert it to YYYY-MM-DD
format in a new column?
Thanks again.

"abcd" wrote:

> you are right: the filter is not a time but a alpha sort
>
>   you may change the cell format or copy the value in an other cell and
> put the new format in the new column. Like YYYY-MM-DD : so the alpha
> sorting will be the same than the calendar sorting !

0
Kyli (2)
7/15/2005 11:23:01 PM
Kyli,

The apostrophe (') at the beginning signals Excel that it's text, not a
date, thus it's being sorted alphabetically, not chronologically by date.
Also, there's no comma after Apr 3, which Excel needs to recognize it's a
date.  And there needs to be a space between 4:37 and PM.  Are they all like
this?  How many are there?
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Kyli" <Kyli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have column filled with:
> 'Apr  3 2005  4:37PM
>
> And I need to change it to:
> 04/03/05 4:37PM
>
> How do I get a textual date column into a sortable date/time column?  I'm
> having problems because it sorts everything by alpha then numeric.  For
> example, I have "Apr 15, 2005" before "Aug 10, 2003".  I need to get these
> sorted by year, month, day...not alphabetically.  Thanks in advance for
> your
> help!

0
someone798 (944)
7/16/2005 2:55:04 AM
Maybe you can try this (Edit|Undo if it doesn't work).

Select your range

Edit|Replace
what:  (space)200
with:  ,(space)200
replace all

If you have dates in the 1900's you'll have to do the equivalent for them.

Then one more time (maybe twice):

Edit|replace
what:  PM
with:  (space)PM
replace all

And the same for AM.

When I did this, excel saw the cells as dates/times and I could format them the
way I wanted--but the sorts were by dates.

--

Dave Peterson
0
> Hi.  Do you know how I can grab the textual date and convert it to YYYY-MM-DD
> format in a new column?

  The DATE function will try to convert any entry to a date format
(maybe string to date) Then just 1- choose a date format YYYY-MM-DD in
the cell
  OR 2- convert it again to a new string in the new format with the
function TEXT( date ; "YYYY-MM-DD")

Date & Time Stamp does not update
I have created a form in a Public Journal Folder. When I add a new Journal Entry the date and time is the same as the date and time that I created the form. I do I get the form to update? ...

TEXT = text

Business Alerts-Basaed on Date
Hi, I have a requirement to create a business alert when a PO is raised for a specific supplier. My problem is to get the alert to work on a date based logic. Does any one know of a function or a work around to get the alert to work on say within the x days from today. Appreciate your comments. Hi, Please ldrop a email if you are interested in learning about our custom Business alert solution for GP. Regards, NJ nj.tech@hotmail.com "PR" wrote: > Hi, > I have a requirement to create a business alert when a PO is raised for a > specific supplier. My problem is to ge...

Selecting text in a document

CScrollView and text height

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

formatting a spreadsheet help
I have a few different dilemas going on here. First: Can a conditional format be set up in Vista or Windows 7 both 64 bit, and saved in 97-2003 excel saving the conditional formats? Second: I have a spreadsheet column A is my received date, Column B is Stock #, Column C is Serial #, Column G is my finished date. What I need to be able to do: When I enter information into Column C (Serial #), I need some type of notification if that same number has been entered within a six month time period from my Column G (Finished date). 1. Yes. However, there are some formats which only Ex...

problem about working with dates.
Column 1 contains a list of dates in format DD/MM/YYYY I want to manipulate this data such that another column shows MM-YY based on data in column 1. The change from slashes to hyphen separation is required. How can I do this? [Does not need to be done in one step. I tried using the =right(_, _) command to seperate the '08' off with the intent of concatenating the seperated stuff back together- but this did not work.] ss Simon If the dates in column A are truly dates just format the new column as mm-yy should suffice -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southa...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Printing HTML formatted messages
I have noticed that when I print HTML formatted messages, the current date is printed in the lower left corner of every page. It also seems do ignore the Header/Footer settings form the memo or table style settings. Can I disable the date from printing out on the page? Thanks. Ben ...

Format cell for negative
Hi I want the value that i type into a cell always to be negative thanks Hi, You need to adjust the format of the cell - this one for instance: -* #,##0_-;-* #,##0_-;_-* "-"_-;_-@_- Notice that the format starts with "-". Go to Format->Cells->Number and paste this format in the custom part. Cheers, Jon "es" wrote: > Hi > I want the value that i type into a cell always to be > negative > > thanks > Is there a specific Cell or range of cells on your worksheet that you want this? Or any and all cells on any Worksheet? "e...

Null in text box

Re: Using Text Styles

ERROR check if a date set entered violates a perviously entered date set
I am devloping an excel program that has a list of date sets, not necessarily in sequencial order. What I want is an ERROR CHECK if a date set violates any date set previously entered. What I was looking for was that a date set could not be typed in as follows: 1/10/04 to 4/20/04 2/10/04 to 3/20/04 The second date set falls within the first set and should be invalid setting off a message or an alert of an invalid entry. I am interested in making it idiot proof so that one could not enter date sets within or covering dates sets already entered. This one really throws me, Please help. ...

Text in Cell as Formula #2

Logical Test: Text Against Number 01-05-10

Rotate text?
Office(publisher) 2K. Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? L. Not if it's part of the sentence rather than being a separate text box. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "L." <ofallon12320@yahoo1.com> wrote in message news:%23TBzesS9FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Office(publisher) 2K. > > Is there anyway to rotate a specific word in a sentence? > > L. > > Thanks for the info. L. "JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" <jl_paules@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:U46dnd7PfZ5CTBHenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@suscom....

Plain text warning/ VS2005
Whenever I add a CRecordset derived class, I get an error telling me the password for the DB is sent in "plain text" and is not secure etc. I comment that line out, but how much of a security risk is this? What can I do with my Access database to avoid this? VC 6.0 never gave this error... tia b If you are on any kind of network that anyone can look at, you are wide open for attack. Example, a University network; potentially, ever student can be running a packet sniffer and see your password. Anything that passes acros the Internet outside your local intranet is also vuln...

Sort date by day and not year
Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. Ex: Would like to sort like list below: 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 3/21/1996 Not like this: 3/21/1996 3/02/1997 3/15/2002 Please help and thank you for your help. Kathy Hi one way: - add an additional helper column (lets ay B) - insert the following formula in B1 (if column A stores your list): =MONTH(A1) - copy this formula for all rows - sort with this helper column -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Kathy wrote: > Need to sort birthdates by month and day; ignore year. > > Ex: > Would like to sort like list below: >...

shading behind text
I would like to place white text within a box of gray shading. When I use the 'background' function, it shades the entire document. How do I limit the background to a line of text? thanks Ken Depending on your preference I can think of at least 3 ways, but they all may not be available to you... or instructions may vary. It depends on what version of Word you're using & you haven't even indicated whether it's Windows or Mac. Since you posted to the Mac Word group I'll assume you're using a Mac version & further that it is the most current (2008):...