Superscript in custom format

I have started to use custom formats to display units.  For instance when I
want a number to display as 24" or 58.2 lbf.  I don't know if this is the
proper way to do this, but it works great for me.  The problem is I want one
to display as 28in2 where the 2 is a superscript.  Currently I have the
output in one cell and the next cell is text "in2" with the "2" superscripted
to signify inches squared.  I would like a solution where I could combine the
two cells into one cell that is still treated as a number when referencing
from other cells.
0
Sloth (218)

Sloth

Use custom formatting on the numbers.

i.e.  Format>Cells>Custom.

Enter 0" in" then hold ALT Key and hit 0178 on number pad at right side of
keyboard.

No need for the extra cells.  Can all be done in one cell and the 28 remains
as a number.

If you can use a macro it is possible to select a great whack of cells and
just hit a button.

Sub sq_inches()
    Selection.NumberFormat = "0"" in" & Chr(178) & """"
    '0179 for cubic inches
End Sub

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:05:04 -0700, "Sloth" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have started to use custom formats to display units.  For instance when I
>want a number to display as 24" or 58.2 lbf.  I don't know if this is the
>proper way to do this, but it works great for me.  The problem is I want one
>to display as 28in2 where the 2 is a superscript.  Currently I have the
>output in one cell and the next cell is text "in2" with the "2" superscripted
>to signify inches squared.  I would like a solution where I could combine the
>two cells into one cell that is still treated as a number when referencing
>from other cells.

0
Gord
9/14/2005 11:41:20 PM
That's pretty clever.  I didn't even think to use symbols.  Now I can make
in² and in³ but what about in4?  Any ideas?  That is pretty much all I need
except for maybe in-1.  Thanks for the input

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Sloth
>
> Use custom formatting on the numbers.
>
> i.e.  Format>Cells>Custom.
>
> Enter 0" in" then hold ALT Key and hit 0178 on number pad at right side of
> keyboard.
>
> No need for the extra cells.  Can all be done in one cell and the 28 remains
> as a number.
>
> If you can use a macro it is possible to select a great whack of cells and
> just hit a button.
>
> Sub sq_inches()
>     Selection.NumberFormat = "0"" in" & Chr(178) & """"
>     '0179 for cubic inches
> End Sub
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:05:04 -0700, "Sloth" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have started to use custom formats to display units.  For instance when I
> >want a number to display as 24" or 58.2 lbf.  I don't know if this is the
> >proper way to do this, but it works great for me.  The problem is I want one
> >to display as 28in2 where the 2 is a superscript.  Currently I have the
> >output in one cell and the next cell is text "in2" with the "2" superscripted
> >to signify inches squared.  I would like a solution where I could combine the
> >two cells into one cell that is still treated as a number when referencing
> >from other cells.

0
Sloth (218)

Font formatting in VBE
I have some docvariables tied to docvariable fields of which some need to be BOLD fonts but others tied to the same field do not. If I bold the field in the document, then all the docvariables are bold which is not my intent. How can i selectively bold some but not all of the docvariables? I've tried to highlight the specific variable and "control-B" but it doesn't seem to have any affect. tx Sub ScratchMaco() MsgBox "Use the ""\* CharFormat"" switch in your DocVariable fields and format" _ & "the ""D&quo...

look up with a custom entity
Hi there i have a a question regarding custom entity and i appreciate if yuo can help me... am trying to customize the account form to fit our business need, I need to add a new field called “IT director” in the account form. The IT director represents a contact person from that specific account. I want that field to appear with a look up glass, and when I click that glass, it refers me to our contacts. I have created a custom entity called IT director, and added a new 1- to many relationship, and related it to Accounts. Then I went to the account form and I added the new field “IT D...

Custom Stationary Margins
Is this possible? I've downloaded different stationary's from different sites on the internet that I would like to use. My problem is that when I use them to send someone an email message, it looks great because the first thing I do is set the margins. When the receiver replies, however, they don't know to set the margins. I get the reply and can't see the left-most 3rd of their reply because it's hidden under my stationary. How can I set a custom stationary to use a different margin, both for sending and receiving? Is it possible? If not, what good is...

superscript
Hi, I am trying to design a formula that concatenates in cell A3 th content of cells A1 and A2 together, and by displaying the content o cell A2 in superscript. This has to be done through a formula, as want it to be dynamic, and be able to copy elsewhere in the worksheet. A1 = CAR A2 = (blue) A3 should return CAR(blue), but the "(blue)" must be superscript. P.S. I know this could be done by creating a custom function (usin VB), but I would prefer doing it using standard Excel functions -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It can't be done with either built-i...

Customer accounts #2
Help! My customers are all employees - if they leave their job, would someone please tell me how to handle the account. I don't see any way to inactivate the account or hide it so it cannot be used. Must I delete it? Please let me know! Donna Hi Donna - I would never recommend deleting an account (if you do all history goes into this black hole type area). If an employee leaves, I would immediately change the 'Customer is an employee' flag and then devise a scheme for identifying 'inactive' customers. Here is what we do: 1) Use the auto generated acct numbers ...

Superscript #2
Is it possible to show supersript in a text entry in excel for example the symbol for H2O or Cubic metres - m3?? TIA Mick Type H20 in cell With mouse, select the 2 Use Format|Cell and open Font tab Click in the subscript box Similar steps work for m3. But for squared and cubed you can also: A)Type m; hold ALT and type 179 on numeric keypad to get m^3. B) Type cm; hold ALT type 0178 om numeric keypad to get cm^2 Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "MGT" <no1@nospam.com> wrote in message news:cch0ht$cl9$1@news7.svr.po...

custom stationary margins help
Hello I dont think I've posted to Microsoft before. I've searched for hours for the answer to this question, and can't find it anywhere. I'm using Windows XP, Microsoft Outlook 2003. I've downloaded some custom email stationary from places like www.stationary. org, www.thundercloud.com, etc. I love it except for two things ... I don't particularly care for the scrolling; is there any way to make it not scroll? And, margins. When I click "New" and get a blank email, the message ends up starting at the left side, as it normally would, but with t...

POP Customization
i did customization for POP in the report writer GP 8.0 and when i make more than 6 item lines it does not go to another page insted it print the extra lines on the footer under or above other text You need to make the Report Footer section and the Page Footer section the same size in the Report Writer. This will fix your problem. I -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Ola" wrote: > i did customization for POP in the report ...

Problem with Date Formatting
I am importing a text file with dates in the format 3/1/05. I need the data formatted as DD-MMM-YYYY. I can get this for all dates EXCEPT where the leading zero has been dropped off the day, such as 3/1/05. Can anyone suggest how to do this in Excel? ...

Custom form could not be opened???
Ran into this issue yesterday, and am completely stumped: User has an email that when he double-clicks on it to open it he received the following message: "The custom form could not be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead. The object could not be found". After saying OK to that warning then the email comes up. What's weird is when you first go into OL there is no icon for the message (no envelope) until you single click on it. Furthermore, after the email opens up then the message cannot be printed and the following message is returned: "One or mo...

format "focus" characteristics
The cell on which the focus rests is indicated by a thick box outline. Is there a way to thin those lines? Are the other formating features that can indicate focus? I don't think so. But you may want to take a look at Chip Pearson's rowliner utility. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm Pa Maher wrote: > > The cell on which the focus rests is indicated by a thick box outline. > Is there a way to thin those lines? > Are the other formating features that can indicate focus? -- Dave Peterson Thanks Dave, The add-in allows for some efficient and attractive feature...

Multiple AR per Customer
We want to post AR by product line - in other words, we can have multiple a/r accounts per customer. We will have one invoice with only one a/r account, but other invoices can have different a/r accounts. When we create the cash receipt and before posting, if we apply the cash to two separate invoices with two different a/r accounts, it credits those accounts correctly. If we post without applying, it credits the default a/r account. We then use the apply sales documents window to apply payment to two separate invoices. At this point, it does not credit the correct a/r account. Is...

customer relationships
Sorry for the stupid question - and it is stupid because i've done this before, but can anyone tell me how to add to the list of Roles in the Customer relationship dialog? Thanks v much Here you go: CRM Web Client >> Settings >> Relationship Roles Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "Saira" wrote: > Sorry for the stupid question - and it is stupid because i've done this > before, but can anyone tell me how to add to the list of Roles in the > Customer relationship dialog? > > Thanks v much > > > Th...

Export/Import Customizations 02-11-05
Hi, I want to export the customizations done only on the Order object from test, and import them to production. Deployment manager exports all of the customizations. Is there a way to get the customizations only on one object? If the only way is to edit the xml file produced by export, which parts should I take? Thanks, Bilge Gul No, when you import data it is all or nothing :( /jakob "b_gul_t" wrote: > Hi, > > I want to export the customizations done only on the Order object from test, > and import them to production. Deployment manager exports all of the ...

Use custom task form in Outlook 2003 when creating task in ON 2007
I have a custom task form in Outlook 2003 that I use for all of my task-related info. I rely heavily on this form, and would like to have it be the form that isused when ON creates a task (using any of the Outlook Task tags). Is it possible to do this? -- Bobby C Hi Bobby, You might get better help if you posted this in the Outlook Forum since this is an Access Forum. Happy New Year! Patrick Wood "Bobby C" wrote: > I have a custom task form in Outlook 2003 that I use for all of my > task-related info. I rely heavily on this form, and would like to have it be > ...

superscript
Is there any way to add a superscript to a cell that has a formula in it? Thanks. Basically no.. There are some workarounds. I would use a help cell and make it small and insert superscript there. Assume the formula is in A2, create a new B2, left align the value and enter the superscript. Assume you want superscript 2 Hold down alt while typing 0178 on the numpad, release the alt key.. Regards, Peo Sjoblom >-----Original Message----- >Is there any way to add a superscript to a cell that has a >formula in it? Thanks. >. > In general No but what is the formula? Bernar...

automatic time formatting
In attempting to run mail merge with word, if the time format has the am / pm in it, the contents of the cell are entered as a decimal. But if one can enter the time as (9:15) the contents in the mail merge appear as they were entered. trouble is that any time I enter a number such as above, it automatically formats to (hh:hh:ss am/pm) how do i turn off the automatic format! I have attempted to change the format to the custom (hh:mm)once the extended time is in the cell, but though it is selected and entered, the contents of the cell do not change. I have used excell mail ...

Custom stationary
Hi How can I add a header and a signature to emails when using word as my default email package in Outlook 2000? Thanks Peter Peter Downes <pjtdownes@hotmail.com> wrote: > How can I add a header and a signature to emails when using word as my > default email package in Outlook 2000? Customize the EMAIL.DOT template. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't speak for Smiths, and Smiths doesn't speak for me. ...

Superscripts
Can you superscript only some of the numbers in a cell? I am using Excel 2003. Mark You can if the *numbers* are text so either pre-format the cell as text of precede it with an apostrophe -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Replace@mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk "Mark Hatfield" <@> wrote in message news:eb8OVeabHHA.4808@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Can you superscript only some of the numbers in a cell? I am using Excel > 2003. > > Mark > Mark You seem to be able ...

Why does an Excel 2007 file lose its format when reopened?
An Excel 2007 file (e.g. File.xlsx) loses its formatting when it is reopened. You may have too many cell formats/styles. To see if that's possibly true, click on the Cell Styles "More" arrow and see if you have a gazillion styles showing. If that's true, you can remove unused styles by saving the workbook as a web page, closing, reopening, save as a normal workbook. "Chrystopher" wrote: > An Excel 2007 file (e.g. File.xlsx) loses its formatting when it is reopened. ...

Why isn't an 'ampersand' visable when inserted in a custom header.
I have inserted an 'ampersand' between two words in a custom header but when I print the worksheet, the ampersand is not visible. Hi you need to use && -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm working on it anyway "Owltrax" <Owltrax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15A15F22-3564-4AEB-AC47-DC5559D1A789@microsoft.com... >I have inserted an 'ampersand' between two words in a custom header but >when > I print the worksheet, the ampersand is not visible. Try 2 of them! -- Regards, RD...

Outlook 2002 on Term Server 2003 + Custom forms
We have a custom form for that executes some VB Scrip code. Using identical setups on a Win2K or NT workstation I can use the View Code option. On the 2003 Terminal Server when trying to use the View Code we get this error. -Unable to load this feature. An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist. The form code does not execute and we cannot access it. The Outlook XP install is identical on both platforms. Any idea what is need to get this going? Regards, Hans ...

How to Add Customer PO to RM Statement
I can't seem to figure it out. I have found tables that contain the field I need, but I can't figure out how to link that table to the available tables within the RM Statement report. Key fields seem to be missing. Thanks, Jason Article 857420 which can be found in the knowledgebase addresses this very issue. "Jason" wrote: > I can't seem to figure it out. I have found tables that contain the field I > need, but I can't figure out how to link that table to the available tables > within the RM Statement report. Key fields seem to be missing. Thanks,...

Customer Accounts #3
We have multiple accounts for a customer. Is there a way to merge them? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_008B_01CA16BA.2C690A50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Stitcher, You didn't mention for SO or HQ. SO http://tinyurl.com/z9bxy HQ http://tinyurl.com/kwo52q Another option is to look at DRS' VIP Zone 60 day demo = http://tinyurl.com/6b58x8 --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software Search this newsgroup -- http://tinyurl.com/2lmk4w (Stolen from DRS) =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D...

Custom Formats #5
Hi all, is there anyway you can create a format that would show millimetres i.e. 30mm in a cell? Thanks Amanda Your previous post was just answered - answers sometimes take time, and 92 minutes is really a bit soon to be reposting. See http://cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm for tips on using these newsgroups effectively. In article <428237e2$0$535$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>, "Amanda Cooper" <amandac@critical-skills.co.uk> wrote: > Hi all, is there anyway you can create a format that would show millimetres > i.e. 30mm in a cell? > ...