Summing specific texts

Hi, please help me, I need assistance:

I am trying to find the total number of times a specific word has bee
entered in a column. I tried using LEN and SUBSTITUE but it seems lik
that only works if it's a single letter?

Here's the details - some one much smarter than I am will surely hav
an answer for me?

Word is *Toffee *
(and is written in A1)

The field is *D1 to D600 *(a text formatted column containing singl
words in each cell)

-I have had some success with the LEN and SUBSTITUTE formula when usin
a single letter but I have had to write out the whole field a
D1&D2&D3&D4&D5... etc, it wouldn't work using D1:D10) -  I dont want t
write 1 to 600  with & between each entry - is there another way?-

The Total should be supplied in *B1* (in number format)

Look forward to hearing your response
Cheers
LOSTLADY!

:confused

--
LostLad
LostLady's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2344

In cell b1 format to number then use =countif(d1:d600,"toffee")

"LostLady" wrote:

> Hi, please help me, I need assistance:
>
> I am trying to find the total number of times a specific word has been
> entered in a column. I tried using LEN and SUBSTITUE but it seems like
> that only works if it's a single letter?
>
> Here's the details - some one much smarter than I am will surely have
> an answer for me?
>
> Word is *Toffee *
> (and is written in A1)
>
> The field is *D1 to D600 *(a text formatted column containing single
> words in each cell)
>
> -I have had some success with the LEN and SUBSTITUTE formula when using
> a single letter but I have had to write out the whole field as
> D1&D2&D3&D4&D5... etc, it wouldn't work using D1:D10) -  I dont want to
> write 1 to 600  with & between each entry - is there another way?-
>
> The Total should be supplied in *B1* (in number format)
>
> Look forward to hearing your response
> Cheers
> LOSTLADY!
>
> :confused:
>

> --
> LostLady
> LostLady's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23447
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377747

0
RayA (96)
6/9/2005 4:20:05 PM
LostLady:  We don't want you to be lost for too long.  Use COUNTIF with
a 'wildcard' to find your search word in a range, as such:

In B1 place this formula:

=COUNTIF(D1:D600,"*TOFFEE*")
--- This will find all cases of ToFfeE in your range, such as "Toffee
Crisp", "Ground TOFFEE", "nuts toffee coated"  will return 3

If you want to search for the contents of A1, then use:

=COUNTIF(D1:D600,"*"&A1&"*")

Does this work for you?

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377747

If the word "Toffee" can appear more than once in a cell and you want to
know how many times Toffee appears in a range of cells

Ttry this:

=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(D1:D600)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(D1:D600),UPPER(A1),"")))/LEN(A1)

Example:
A1: Toffee and donuts
A2: Toffee is not Toffee-free.

Count of Toffee is 3.

Note: SUBSTITUTE is case sensitive, hence the UPPER function.

I hope that helps.

Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21419

How to perform sum sum sum...

I open a new microsft doc and it has text on it-how can i stop it
How do I get it to return to generating blank word documents? See http://word.mvps.org/fAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm Yves "PL WIZ" <PL WIZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A145D05-2B9C-46D2-A369-9FB751E63362@microsoft.com... > How do I get it to return to generating blank word documents? ...

open application to a specific doc with a cmd button
I would like to open an excel worksheet from an access form.. this is what I've tried but it doesn't find the doc. This worked with access 97, but not with 2000. Any help would be appreciated. Private Sub Command25_Click() Dim myApp As String Dim myDoc As String myApp = "excel.exe " myDoc = "workflow.xls" Shell myApp & myDoc, vbNormalFocus That approach should work if you specify the full path to execl.exe, and the full path to the xls file, assuming Excel is install and permissions are adequate. It may be easier to use ShellExecute: http://www....

Click to Open Record from an Unbound Text Box
Hi All, Getting close I think. I have an unbound text box on a subform that lists items from a table (tblSENEIncidentLog2008). The subform is on my Main Form. I am trying to make it so when I click on an item from my ListBox, it loads the form and goes to that record. Right now, when I click on an item on the subform FROM MY MAIN MENU, it opens the form, but it only goes to the FIRST record of the form and shows Filtered. When I click on it with JUST the subform open, it seems to work fine. This is what I have in my List box (ListSAR) on the subform: In the After Update: Private S...

Summing up user defined results

Pasting unformatted text

Date-range specific report with counted results of combo box selections
Hi there, I'm a novice with Access, but am currently setting up a patient database for an NGO in India that I'm volunteering with. The primary reason for the database is to collect statistics quarterly. It is a simple database with one table that collects patient data from simple forms with some fields having combo boxes. Ultimately I want to generate reports that will show a summary of 'counts' of various fields for a given period. For example: In the table I have a combo box for where the person came from, with several options including - "Pick up Y. Bazar", &quo...

sum subform to form

forwarded message come in as .eml, not inline Text Outlook 2003
When people forward messages to me, the forwarded message arrives as an .eml attachment. I am using Outlook 2003. How can I get the system to not convert the forwarded messages as .eml attachments, rather in-line text in the e-mail? Thanks, Leslie They've probably chose to forward as attachment and are using Outlook Express or Windows (Live) Mail. Have them use a normal forward instead. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World...

Allow Excel to orient/align text 180 degrees
Is this possible? Are you sure you mean 180 degrees? This would leave the text upsidedown and backwards which cannot be done unless you take a picture of the tert and rotate it. Do you perhaps mean "reverse the order of the text from front to back" which would leave it rightside up with letters reversed? That can be done with a User Defined Function. Public Function RevStr(Rng As Range) RevStr = StrReverse(Rng.text) End Function Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:11:06 -0800, "QuadJoe4x4" <QuadJoe4x4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is t...

I have a query that returns the details for a failure record during a specified time period. Where if I search between 1/1/08 and 1/31/08 the query returns the records of all failure records during that period. The row shows the part number and the total parts failed for that record. I need the query to then sum the total part failures for the previous 12 months. So I would see the following: Record # | part # | parts failed | Origination Date| Total Parts failed past 12 months 44444 | x | 4 | 1/2/08 | 200 44445 | Y |1 ...

=SUM Ranges Do Not Update
I have a Excel 2000 spread sheet, with the following macro to insert new row. Sub InsertRow() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 4/27/2004 ' 'GoTo label, MyString ActiveSheet.Unprotect Application.Goto Reference:="MyCell" ActiveCell.Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpecial xlPasteAll Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveCell.Select ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True Scenarios:=True End Sub The problem is that in the "Mycell&qu...

Updating text field to new numeric field & moving minus sign to fr
Hi, I need some help with the below IF statement for update query. I got it to move the negative sign to the front of the number, but now it is removing all numbers after my decimal point. I've checked to make sure my formatting for [MyNumericField] is double and 2 decimal points. For example: [MyTextField] is 23.32- I run update query and.... [MyNumericField] is -23 Here is what I have for the update query: UPDATE [MyTable] SET [MyTable].[MyNumericField] = IIf(Right([MyTextField],1)="-",-CLng(Left([MyTextField],Len([MyTextField])-1)),CLng([MyTe...

Compose Messages in Plain Text For Sepecific Account
Is it possible to configure Outlook 2003 to automatically compose email messages in plain text for specific accounts? Regards, Kevin ...

How to screen a specific users outbound emails
Hello all, I am running exchange 2003 and I need to find a solution that enables me to screen a specific users outbound emails, preferably before they leave the exchange server destined to the recepient to prevent confidential info leakage. The user must not be able to detect that this is going on. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks, Peter Mueller On 21 Oct 2005 07:34:18 -0700, pmueller@rogers.com wrote: >Hello all, >I am running exchange 2003 and I need to find a solution that enables >me to screen a specific users outbound emails, preferably before they >leave the...

Sum value between dates problem driving me mad!
Good Evening All, I am really struggling here, have tried, nested IF's including AND's but am a bit stumped. I am fairly familiar with Arrays, but cannot seem to combine all. I have a data table (as detailed below). (Hopefully, this should be 'pastable' into Excel - it works for me) I simply wish to calculate the expected totals per month. Any help & assistance with this would be most welcome. Cheers, Mathew Note, earliest Start is 01/04/03 Start Finish Day Rate Apr-2003 May-2003 Jun-2003 Jul-2003 Aug-2003 01/04/2003 23.00 01/04/2003 09/07/2003 23.00 ...

Access 2007 Reports
I'm using an Access 2000 mdb (split ends) in Access 2007. I cannot up- convert because other terminals don't have Office 2007. It works as a database just fine except: When I try to change a (front end) report from the default printer to another specific printer in design view, page setup, it all LOOKS good except it does not save my changes upon return and goes back to the default printer. I never had this problem with earlier versions of Access and the specific printer in questions works fine with other apps and terminals. Any ideas people? Many thanks. JM This is a known prob...

Conditional Sum Wizard
Currently I am setting up a sheet and I am using the conditional sum wizard for formulas. Once a formula is created the sytem won't let me copy or change a formula. If I try to copy (Copy, paste special) a formula to another cell, the formula won't work anymore. If I create a formula with the wizard and afterwards change one of the parameters, the formula does not work anymore. Can anyone give me a hint on how I can solve these issues? Thanks. Please don't multi-post - you have an answer elsewhere, relating to use of CSE. Pete On Jan 6, 9:23=A0am, MarcoKoenders <MarcoKo...

Sum Question
I am using Excel 2000 I have the following very simple formula in column j Sheet1 =SUM(B5*H5) I have this copied all the way down to line 40. It shows 0 in all of the cells all the way down. I would like for there to be a way that the cell would not show anything in it UNLESS there was something that it was calculating. For example. I have entered data in column b and column h through line 10, but it still shows 0 in column J all the way down to line 40. I realize that it is showing these 0's b/c I have placed the formula there, but is there a way that it will still calculate but only ...

Using Word 2007 to edit text in Publisher 2007
I have recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 Pro (64bit) installed and now have a problem when editing text from Publisher 2007 in Word 2007. I produce our local church magazine where the main body of the text is Gill Sans 11pt. If I now right click the main body choose Change Text, Edit Story in MS Word, after editing and returning to Publisher all the 11pt text is now 10pt and I have to reformat it all again (this time in Publisher!). Previously I have been using Windows XP Pro with no such problems, so I think it may be a Win 7 problem. Has anyone else had a similar pro...

how do i put text on the y axis. Can I even?
All I want to do is put text in the Y axis area. Aja Mehki wrote: > All I want to do is put text in the Y axis area. http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/axes.html#ArbAxis http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html#VertCatAxi s (copy and paste text into your browser if word wrap cuts off the URL) Dave dvt at psu dot edu ...

Sum sum sum
Let me describe my problem... I have a form with with item number with is unique and then i put another form (subform) to linked to record the number of item in and out.... This means a item can have many in and out transactions which make the item number not unique.. My problem is I want to calculate the sum of in quantity within the same item. I want the sum to be keep on increasing when the user enter the quantity. Example user key in 2 then new user key 4 and i want the total quantity to be 6... Please help.... No idea of what i am talking? I will explain... -- Message posted via http:/...

curved text #2
I am trying to re-create something called the Duluth Wheel. A circular graphic with segments. The outer part of the wheel is a simple doughnut shape which has 'ordinary' text in it, as opposed to Wordart. Is there anyway of achieving the curved path of the font, or, using Wordart, getting the shape to follow the curve of the circle I am using? If anyone needs to see the wheel I can email a jpg of it to you. Many thanks, and all the best for the coming year. WG The Duluth Wheel only has the curved text at the top and bottom, WordArt should work. If you use WordArt 3.2 you m...