Summary of Data from a Range

I have a range of data, which is a weekly sports picking competition at work.

Basically on the left it has the event, and along the top it has my work
colleagues names.

The sports picks are in the range and are in the form of validation lists.

What i would like to do is create an automated summary of who picked what at
the close of each week, which i can email out to the guys in the competiton -

i.e: Event 1: New York Mets: persons a, b, c, d and l , Cleveland: e, f, g,
h, i, j and m

I have 8 events per week, with a number of options per event, thus it is not
easy or quick to just manually do it!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers!
0
Blobbies (2)

Hi!

I have a file that I use to run a weekly NFL pick 'em contest.

It sounds just like what you have except I have the "events" (games) listed
on the right and then another column with a drop down to enter the winner.

The players names are listed across the top and in the column under each
players name is another drop down that I use to enter that particular
players picks for that week. I then calculate each players record and
winning percentage for each week.

I do this for each week then I post the results to a website.

If you'd like a copy to see if you can use it for your situation post an
email address and I'll contact you.

Biff

"Blobbies" <Blobbies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a range of data, which is a weekly sports picking competition at
>work.
>
> Basically on the left it has the event, and along the top it has my work
> colleagues names.
>
> The sports picks are in the range and are in the form of validation lists.
>
> What i would like to do is create an automated summary of who picked what
> at
> the close of each week, which i can email out to the guys in the
> competiton -
>
> i.e: Event 1: New York Mets: persons a, b, c, d and l , Cleveland: e, f,
> g,
> h, i, j and m
>
> I have 8 events per week, with a number of options per event, thus it is
> not
> easy or quick to just manually do it!
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received!
>
> Cheers!

0
biffinpitt (3172)
7/2/2005 3:13:50 AM
hi biff

sounds very similar - yes i would be interested in seeing how you've done it.

i would also be interested in how you get the players picks in, and how you
go about publishing them on a web site.

those sorts of things are way beyond me!!

my players email me a small spreadsheet with each weeks picks - but that is
quite time intensive for me to prepare every week - same with the results,
and i also post out everyone's weekly choices too, so they can see how
they're getting on during the week!

lots of time involved, but fun!!

my email is:   mike (at) cherries.co.nz

thanks for your time to answer!

eddie

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a file that I use to run a weekly NFL pick 'em contest.
>
> It sounds just like what you have except I have the "events" (games) listed
> on the right and then another column with a drop down to enter the winner.
>
> The players names are listed across the top and in the column under each
> players name is another drop down that I use to enter that particular
> players picks for that week. I then calculate each players record and
> winning percentage for each week.
>
> I do this for each week then I post the results to a website.
>
> If you'd like a copy to see if you can use it for your situation post an
> email address and I'll contact you.
>
> Biff
>
> "Blobbies" <Blobbies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a range of data, which is a weekly sports picking competition at
> >work.
> >
> > Basically on the left it has the event, and along the top it has my work
> > colleagues names.
> >
> > The sports picks are in the range and are in the form of validation lists.
> >
> > What i would like to do is create an automated summary of who picked what
> > at
> > the close of each week, which i can email out to the guys in the
> > competiton -
> >
> > i.e: Event 1: New York Mets: persons a, b, c, d and l , Cleveland: e, f,
> > g,
> > h, i, j and m
> >
> > I have 8 events per week, with a number of options per event, thus it is
> > not
> > easy or quick to just manually do it!
> >
> > Any suggestions gratefully received!
> >
> > Cheers!

0
Blobbies (2)
7/2/2005 9:46:01 AM
Biff, I would be interested in seeing your spreadsheet. I am trying to create
one for the guy here that runs it and I just can't think of a good way.

Thanks

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a file that I use to run a weekly NFL pick 'em contest.
>
> It sounds just like what you have except I have the "events" (games) listed
> on the right and then another column with a drop down to enter the winner.
>
> The players names are listed across the top and in the column under each
> players name is another drop down that I use to enter that particular
> players picks for that week. I then calculate each players record and
> winning percentage for each week.
>
> I do this for each week then I post the results to a website.
>
> If you'd like a copy to see if you can use it for your situation post an
> email address and I'll contact you.
>
> Biff
>
> "Blobbies" <Blobbies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a range of data, which is a weekly sports picking competition at
> >work.
> >
> > Basically on the left it has the event, and along the top it has my work
> > colleagues names.
> >
> > The sports picks are in the range and are in the form of validation lists.
> >
> > What i would like to do is create an automated summary of who picked what
> > at
> > the close of each week, which i can email out to the guys in the
> > competiton -
> >
> > i.e: Event 1: New York Mets: persons a, b, c, d and l , Cleveland: e, f,
> > g,
> > h, i, j and m
> >
> > I have 8 events per week, with a number of options per event, thus it is
> > not
> > easy or quick to just manually do it!
> >
> > Any suggestions gratefully received!
> >
> > Cheers!

how to display data within the given range of data input by user???
i have a column of hotel names(E7:E38), another column of hotel rate (G7:G38)and another column of hotel location(H7:H38). how is it suc that when a user input say $100 in a cell F40, it displays th information of hotels within the hotel rates of $100. how to displa the all information below the cell F40?? : -- angelrai ----------------------------------------------------------------------- angelrain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1599 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27481 There is no feature in Excel that w...

daily sales summary info
I have a small clothing boutique that recently moved locations. We would like to know if our traffic has increased, and if our average sale has increased. Is there any way to access this information in a report? Paging through every day of Z reports is pretty tedious. MP There's a custom report you can download called "average sales by store". It's just summary data that you can filter by date ranges. It includes your average transaction $ amount, avg # of units/transaction, profit marging % and avg # transactions/day. Good luck. "MP" wrote: > I ha...

Rebulid Inventory Summary from Period Summary
If you fail to close the Inventory module on the correct date, all Summary values for an inventory item are summed incorrectly. I would like to see a rebuild of the summary values in an item be rebuilt form the period summary that is correct. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&...

import and saving data
I import a file and it is formatted n text but t text group has a number of values that want in separate cells. Iam lost on how to do that. Another issue is how do i save a spreadskeet in comma or text format. Import file format, e.g., 123 ws 345 154 (all n a single cell) but what I want to do is format the data were each group of numbers or letters are in a separate cell. iF I receive the above as 123,ws,345,154 how can I mport data nto separate cells. Thanks Hi With your data in column A, select the entire column, goto Data > TextToColumns > Delemited > Delemit...

Finding unique items in data field for pivot tables
I have a huge pivot table I'm trying to create and for a critical item I select I get the following message: A field in your data source has more unique items that can be used in a PivotTable. Microsoft Excel may not be able to create a PivotTable or may create the PivotTable without the data from this field. Any ideas how I can find the duplicates and create the PivotTable with this field? Hello- Based on the message, 'duplicates' is not your problem, *Unique* items is. Pivot tables are limited to 32,500 unique items per field. So if you're analyzing product sales, for...

Export Data in Excel
Hi again, another Problem our customer have, is to export data in Excel. All the time, they want to export more the 10,000 objects o excel, the get only the first 10,000 and the others missing. Have someone a idea why the can't export more the 10,000 contacts or accounts? Thanks, Andre OK, I reslove it with the SDK. I have create the "maxrecordsforexporttoexcel" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM. Andre "Andre Grumbach" <andre.grumbach@no.spam> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OoO%23cevVGHA.6048@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi again, > anoth...

Excel messes my data up
Hi, I am trying to run vlookup for about 5K cells from range of 20k cells. Now the problem is that some of the cells include only numbers and some both numbers and letters, like AB11002. I also have empty spaces on the data so I have to run trim on both data before running vlookup. Just after trimming both data vlookup runs correctly, but if I "touch" any cell containing only numbers excel propably converts it to number and at this point excel don't think those two cells that before was equal are equal any more. So how in the earth I could convert my mixed data in the format e...

How to keep updated table of data ?
I have two sheets containing table with many fields with data. I want to keep one table by updating it according to values in th second sheet. Please help me finding good way to do so. Thank -- Daniel76 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Daniel761's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2587 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39249 ...

Sorting data and searching
I have an Excel Spreadsheet in which one sheet that I created four columns that contains the following: Table Name, Tabel Description, Table Information, Table Type Once I have enterred the table information, I highlighted the range of information that I enterred and right-click and chose sort A-Z. Everytime that I do this it is sorted by Table Name. Here are my questions: -How can I be sure that when I enter a new row that the information would be sorted by the table name and How do I automate this (Can it be done in a simple way) -How can I search for a table name?...

how to summarize and chart raw data
I am needing some help with how best to summarize and chart some raw data. I extracted from an application we use that tracks appointments and dumped it into excel. The columns I am interested in are: date name appt_start appt_end Each name is associated with 4-5 appointments for one date. I am trying to see how much time is between appointments An example of the data: 12/01/2004 Smith appt_start appt_end 12/01/2004 Smith appt_start appt_end 12/01/2004 Jones appt_start appt_end 12/01/2004 Jones appt_start appt_end and so on. The...

Series Source Data
Tjena! I have plotted one series: =SERIES(;xyzFINAL!$A$*3* :$A$15;xyzFINAL!$B$*3*:$B$15;1) I would like to replace the red bold 3 with INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2;7);1) so that I can put the number 3 in cell G2 instead. How/Is this possible ? Tack --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Deleting Data
Hi; I am looking for a way to select an entire sheet then delete only the data from it, leaving all formulas and formats intact. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Joel jnmobley@att.net Joel See answer in microsoft.public.excel No need to post to multiple groups -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Joel" <jnmobley@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:%23SW5WOsYEHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi; I am looking for a way to select an entire sheet then delete only the > data from it, leavin...

Copy data from column that begins with data to new sheet
Hello, I'm currently trying to copy data from a row in excel based on what's in colum B to it's own sheet. I've found some good macros but need some help on how to modify it to fit my needs. The one macro that is almost perfect is AdvFilterRepFiltered.zip on http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#CondFormat That being said, Column B consists of something like this: 3960020262 3960020263 4550050473 4550050474 I want to be able to sort 39600 and 45500 to their own sheet. The macro I mentioned above works great but it will sort everything to it's own sheet that doesn...

Use charts to compare the data
Hi, I created two charts for comparing the data between 2004 to 2005. Is there a way to make them layer: one is in the front and one is at behind? ----------------------- Or, Do I need to combine 2004 and 2005 information and then I just need to make one chart? Please give me some ideas? Thanks Chi ...

Vb.net 2008
Greetings, For no shortage of trying I am unable to convert the contents of a datarow (containing xml data) to type string, using .tostring results in conversion errors in the linq and when adding adding as an xml element to an xmldocument the literal words systems.data (see code below for examples). Is it possible from the linq to extract the datatable rows containg xml and then write them to an xmldocument as xmlelements? LINQ Code:- Dim quotes = From quote In frmMainQuote.quoteData.Tables("quote").AsEnumerable _ Select quote _ Where (quote.Item("c...

Collecting form data offline
I've created a simple CRM database suing Access 2007 on our companies share drive. We have a small office with only 5 people using the database. Is it possible to collect from data off line while visiting a client and sync to the database when I'm back in the office? ...

Modifying data
Hello, I have a simple spreadsheet with 2000 vendors names in the first column A and address ect data in columns B - K. How can I get the data to reformat to have column A list the vendor name in Cell A1 and all the other info be presnet in B1-10 and then continue for all 2000 vendor names. I've torn my hair out over this....I'm sure it's simple but I haven't had any luck at all... Any thoughts appreciated. Thank You, Extreem Are you trying to make mailing labels? If so you are much better off keeping your data in its current format and using it as a data source in...

Tricky data search within array
Hi All I have a formula that converts the diameter of a circular duct into it's equivalent rectangular counterpart. This formula is used to populate a table, a section of which is detailed below: Width 100 125 150 175 200 225 250 275 300 325 100 110 123 134 145 154 163 171 178 185 217 H 125 138 151 162 173 183 192 201 209 240 e 150 165 178 190 201 212 222 231 260 i 175 193 206 218 230 240 251 279 g 200 220 234 246 258 269 297 h 225 ...

Combo box using outside data
I have several spreadsheets where the user needs to enter a job number. To avoid data entry errors, I would like to validate this field, bu the list of job numbers is quite long and constantly growing, so would like it to be in it's own spreadsheet, and to somehow link to th many others. Is that possible in Excel? Thank yo ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Can the other workbook be opened? If yes, then Debra Dalgleish has a technique at: http://www...

need help to get the data
I am trying to get specific data from a table and insert into another table. The second table structure is exactly the same. actually i am importing a excel file into the first table. The table structure looks like this CREATE TABLE [dbo].[temp]( [ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL, [Interval] [varchar](250) NULL, [calls_accepted] [varchar](150) NULL, [calls_answered] [varchar](150) NULL, [calls_abandoned] [varchar](150) NULL, [Avg_talk_time] [varchar](150) NULL, [DNIS_calls_abandoned] [varchar](150) NULL, [Avg_wait_tim...

Horizontal data to vertical data
I have a set of data list in the horizontal manner. Is there a macro that can send this data vertically instead of manually doing it? Thanks in advance. Aloysicus You can do what you are asking by: 1)Select the horizontal range of cells. 2)Edit>Copy 3)Select the cell where you want the vertical list to start. 4)Edit>Paste Special 5)Check the TRANSPOSE box and click [OK] List horizontal list will be copied into a vertical list. Is that what you're looking for? Regards, Ron Here's one way as responded to your identical post in .newusers (please do not multi-post) Assume...

Copy range of cells omitting formulas that result in " "
I have a column of data that contains a formula that either returns a value or leaves the cell blank. I would like to copy the column to another location and have the cells with no values omitted from the range. Basically, I would like to make a bar chart and have the chart adjust with changes in data. However, every empty cell is plotted as zero or blank...how can I remove these blanks from the chart? Can anyone help? I have been struggling with this for a while now...I think this is my last resort! Help! Tina Select all of the data and plot it. then by using auto filter on your dat...

Writing programs for the manipulation of data cells?
I'm new to Excel and I think I can do this with macros. In that case, where can I find a list of Excel functions? On 18 Mar, 10:38, "Scott H" <nospam> wrote: > I'm new to Excel and I think I can do this with macros. In that case, where > can I find a list of Excel functions? Have you tried the help? I would also highly recommend Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/MainPage.aspx The great thing about Excel is there are so many high quality advice sites that are easily found. ...

Transaction data question
When importing customers into your So template file, then into HQ, can the TotalSales and TotalVisits get imported too? What is happening is those two columns are getting zero-ed out when I sync store 1 and HQ for the first time. I would like to have that data in HQ for my global customers so we can at least keep how much they have already spent from our old POS program. I know the transaction data cannot be converted, but hopefully these two columns can. Am I missing something here? Thanks. ...

Y axis data point alignment with x axis dates
I have a graph with a Y axis that plots a population number ending each month for approximately two years. Each month the graph grows with the addition of a new month's data. The X axis evenly and correctly displays each month across the bottom of the graph. The problem is that many of the data points on the Y axis do not align with the corresponding month and fall between months or the ticks along the bottom of the graph area. Some are on the mark, some are a little off, and a few are way off. How do I get the data points to aligh with the month of the X axis along the bottom ...