Sum Function - ajit

I have a5:a50 range with formula trim(countif(Muster!$d1:$d30,"TOI") which
results into number of TOIs in
a5:a50 but when I try =sum(a5:a50) in cell a51, I get 0.
How comes? What goes wrong?
Ajit

0
cexd0204 (2)

What do you get for =COUNT(A5:A50)?  My guess is that you will get 0,
indicating that there are no numbers in that range to be summed (note
that "123" is different than 123, and SUM will only include the numeric
value, not the text digits).

Also, it is generally a good idea to copy/paste formulas from Excel into
your post to avoid transcription errors
    =trim(countif(Muster!$d1:$d30,"TOI")
is not a valid formula, since parentheses are not matched.  I can guess
that it is just missing the closing parenthesis, but am less than sure,
since it leaves me wondering why you are trying to trim a number.

Jerry

Div. F-II wrote:

> I have a5:a50 range with formula trim(countif(Muster!$d1:$d30,"TOI") which
> results into number of TOIs in
> a5:a50 but when I try =sum(a5:a50) in cell a51, I get 0.
> How comes? What goes wrong?
> Ajit

0
post_a_reply (1395)
7/7/2005 12:23:53 PM
The Trim function is a Text function, you cannot Sum text

Use a helper column and Value(A1) to A50, then Sum the helper column

--
Bryan Hessey
Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059

As you are looking for the sum total the Count function will not assis
you.
You can sum the 'trim'ed values with

=SUMPRODUCT(VALUE(A5:A50)

--
Bryan Hesse
Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2105
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38521

If you read my post more carefully, I suggested COUNT as a diagnostic
function; if count is zero, then SUM is failing because it is not seeing
any numbers.

Jerry

Bryan Hessey wrote:

> As you are looking for the sum total the Count function will not assist
> you.
> You can sum the 'trim'ed values with
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(VALUE(A5:A50))

0
post_a_reply (1395)

How to perform sum sum sum...

Summing up user defined results

Null value won't pass into function
Hi All, I have started tearing my hair out over this problem! I am pulling some data from a table and passing it as variables into a function in Access. One of the variables I'm passing through can be Null, so to avoid trying to pass a Null value to a function as a string (which I gather Access wouldn't like) I created an IIF function inside the parameters so if the value was null, it passed the string "NULLDEPOT" into the function, and I dealt with it inside the function. No matter HOW I try (stacked queries, new variables, taking the IIF out of the function parameters an...

sum subform to form

I have a query that returns the details for a failure record during a specified time period. Where if I search between 1/1/08 and 1/31/08 the query returns the records of all failure records during that period. The row shows the part number and the total parts failed for that record. I need the query to then sum the total part failures for the previous 12 months. So I would see the following: Record # | part # | parts failed | Origination Date| Total Parts failed past 12 months 44444 | x | 4 | 1/2/08 | 200 44445 | Y |1 ...

=SUM Ranges Do Not Update
I have a Excel 2000 spread sheet, with the following macro to insert new row. Sub InsertRow() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 4/27/2004 ' 'GoTo label, MyString ActiveSheet.Unprotect Application.Goto Reference:="MyCell" ActiveCell.Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select ActiveCell.EntireRow.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select ActiveCell.PasteSpecial xlPasteAll Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveCell.Select ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True Scenarios:=True End Sub The problem is that in the "Mycell&qu...

Custom Functions in an Add-in
I work in an office using Excel 2007 and we have created a few custom functions and saved them as an add in within Excel (i.e. with extension .xla). The custom functions work fine, but we would like to have them available to all users on our local network. We currently do this by having local copies of the .xla file on each machine, however the .xla file is often updated and it is a pain making sure everyone is running the most up to date version. I have tried pointing each users' Excel at a single version of the .xla file on our server, but this slows Excel down significantly on loadin...

Sum value between dates problem driving me mad!
Good Evening All, I am really struggling here, have tried, nested IF's including AND's but am a bit stumped. I am fairly familiar with Arrays, but cannot seem to combine all. I have a data table (as detailed below). (Hopefully, this should be 'pastable' into Excel - it works for me) I simply wish to calculate the expected totals per month. Any help & assistance with this would be most welcome. Cheers, Mathew Note, earliest Start is 01/04/03 Start Finish Day Rate Apr-2003 May-2003 Jun-2003 Jul-2003 Aug-2003 01/04/2003 23.00 01/04/2003 09/07/2003 23.00 ...

Conditional Sum Wizard
Currently I am setting up a sheet and I am using the conditional sum wizard for formulas. Once a formula is created the sytem won't let me copy or change a formula. If I try to copy (Copy, paste special) a formula to another cell, the formula won't work anymore. If I create a formula with the wizard and afterwards change one of the parameters, the formula does not work anymore. Can anyone give me a hint on how I can solve these issues? Thanks. Please don't multi-post - you have an answer elsewhere, relating to use of CSE. Pete On Jan 6, 9:23=A0am, MarcoKoenders <MarcoKo...

Reports non-functional
I am currently running CRM 3.0. I have two servers, one running SQL 2000 SP4 and one running CRM. On the local CRM server, I am able to access the CRM web Client and select reports to open the reports viewer. When I select to run a report, it prompts me for log on. Once I log on it gives me access to run reports. When accessing with the web client from a workstation on the internet and access run reports, it gives me this page cannot be displayed. During this process, I noticed that it was attempting to connect to http://SQL/reportserver. What am i missing? I verified kb on separate s...

Sum Question
I am using Excel 2000 I have the following very simple formula in column j Sheet1 =SUM(B5*H5) I have this copied all the way down to line 40. It shows 0 in all of the cells all the way down. I would like for there to be a way that the cell would not show anything in it UNLESS there was something that it was calculating. For example. I have entered data in column b and column h through line 10, but it still shows 0 in column J all the way down to line 40. I realize that it is showing these 0's b/c I have placed the formula there, but is there a way that it will still calculate but only ...

Sum sum sum
Let me describe my problem... I have a form with with item number with is unique and then i put another form (subform) to linked to record the number of item in and out.... This means a item can have many in and out transactions which make the item number not unique.. My problem is I want to calculate the sum of in quantity within the same item. I want the sum to be keep on increasing when the user enter the quantity. Example user key in 2 then new user key 4 and i want the total quantity to be 6... Please help.... No idea of what i am talking? I will explain... -- Message posted via http:/...

Taking sum of a field from sub report
Hi On a sub report I have a field datetot which is the sum of two fields those two fields are in turn coming from two further sub reports of the sub report. How can I take the sum of datetot field to the main report? Thanks Regards See: Bring the total from a subreport onto a main report at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-18.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:OCWbU...

Problem with copy/paste function
Hello, I've been using Publisher for 3 1/2 years - taught myself how to use it, and I've gotten fairly proficient. But, I'm having a problem that's never occured before. First off though, I am on a networked system. Most of the files I use are on the server which everyone has acccess to. We are all using the same version of Publisher (2000 v.6.0) I was given a new hard drive in June by the church board of trustees - nice, huh? It's much faster than my old one and I've had relatively few problems except for this one I'm dealing with for Publisher. Ever s...

Adding Sum
I made a query report with unique records to display,I don't want repeating item displayed in the report. What should I do to sum the other qty delivered in a single item. Item Qty Date Pork 50 08/01/05 60 08/10/05 20 08/15/05 should be Item Qty Date Pork 130 08/01/05 - 08/15/05 thanks & Godspeed. One way Sub Test() Dim iLastRow As Long Dim i As Long Dim dteMax As Date Dim dteMin As Date Dim...

sum command do not display the result eg:=sum(c5:c8)-total not
sum command do not display the result eg:=sum(c5:c8)-total not display the result in the cell even when sigma is clicked the same What is displayed instead? If you see the formula, then format the cell as General (or anything but text) and reenter that formula. If you see the wrong answer, then maybe you have calculation set to manual. Tools|Option|calculation tab is how you'd change it in xl2003 menus. If that's not it, then maybe your values in those cells (C5:C8) aren't really numbers. Reformat that range as General (not text) and reenter the values. abbbalu wr...

FRX
I have two companies but different functional currencies and common reporting currency. Can I use reporting tree in FRX. (V 6.7) for these two companies. ...

Auto Run Function on file startup
Hi there I have a wierd problem and am not sure if it's possible. However, I'm what I'm wanting is when I open a certain spreadsheet (eg book1.xls) I would like a function to load up. Is there any way of doing this? Many thanks Gareth Saunders BOFH Hi Just to clarify what I've said below, is that the function I'm wanting to startup on the spreadsheet, I'm not wanting it to start on any other spreadsheet. Thanks in advance for your assistance "Gareth Saunders" wrote: > Hi there > > I have a wierd problem and am not sure if it's possibl...

SUM with WHERE
I have one sheet with a bunch of records that look like: Name, Lang, Qty Peter, English, 5 Peter, French, 2 Dave, English, 7 .... On a second sheet I want to create a summary of the records: English, 12 French, 2 So What I am kind of looking for is this: English, =sum of $DRECORDS where Lang=English French, =sum of $DRECORDS where Lang=French Any ideas how to do this in excel? Peter Look in the help index for SUMIF -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Peter Carlson" <peter@h_o_w_u_d_o_d_a_t.com> wrote in message news:e1l3%233eXI...

Sum duplicate lines in a table
I have a table which contains a list of products soted by poduct name. Against each product there is a stock quantity, each Item may appear more than once. I want to be create a query which will give me a list of the products, but with only one entry per item, with a total quantity for each item. Is this possible? Thanks Neil wrote: >I have a table which contains a list of products soted by poduct name. >Against each product there is a stock quantity, each Item may appear more >than once. > I want to be create a query which will give me a list of the products,...

Use of Me in function
I am trying to set up error checking to run on exiting records in two sub-forms and one sub-sub-form. In each case the checks and the control names are identical. To save writing three different functions, I was hoping to write one which would run on the before update event on each form. However, I get error "Invalid use of Me Keyword" on code: Public Function fnErrorCheckTest() If Len(Trim(Nz(Me.Type1), "")) <> 0 _ And Len(Trim(Nz(Me.Surname), "")) = 0 Then fnErrorCheckTest = False MsgBox "Surname missing" Exit Function Else ...

Sum on horizontal lookup.
in one row (a10:aa10), i have a name in one cell, then value in the next, name in one cell, then value in the next... Some of the names in the row are repeated. Based on a lookup value (which will be one of the names), I want to: search the row for the lookup value add the value to the right each time the lookup value is found. example: a10 a11 a12 a13 a14 a15 a16 a17 errors 10 correct 10 errors 10 correct 20 lookup value "errors", result 20 lookup value "correct", result 30 =SUMIF(A10:Z10,"errors",B10:AA10) -- _____________...

Date Function #3
Hello, I need to write a function which gives me the # of months between two dates. Example. Start Date = 01/01/2005 End Date = 03/31/2010 Function result = 63 Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Arno =DATEDIF(A1,B1,"m")+1 HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >I need to write a function which gives me the # of months between two dates. > >Example. > >Start Date = 01/01/2005 >End Date = 03/31/2010 > >Function result = 63 > >Any help would be much appreciated. > >Thanks >Arno >. > Thank You ...